Maternal & Child Community
when am i in the clear of a miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 42, had 2 miscarriages in the last year and now 7wks pregnant and have bn on vaginal progesterone for the last 2 wks.  When am I in the clear of a miscarriage? When can I tell people that I am expecting?  How long should I be on progesterone to prevent a miscarriage?
Only your doctor can tell you how long you breed to be on progesterone, the medical community has very mixed views on the use of progesterone in early pregnancy unless they is confirmed low progesterone. I believe that usually ends up correcting itself once the placenta starts to function.

And the general rule is the rate of miscarriage drops to less than 8% once a good heartbeat is detected. By good I mean a solid, steady heartbeat that isn't too low. I have seen some figures state the rate of miscarriage is under 5% when the heartbeat is seen.

Don't know how to explain it, with the five losses I had, I always sort of knew something was wrong. A nagging feeling in the back of my head, almost warning me. With my three boys, I just sort of knew they would be okay.

When is you're doctor planning on doing an ultrasound?
I actually did not believe that I could connect with someone in the world of the internet to get some feedback.. thank you sooo soo much for your response. When you say rate goes down to 5-8% does that mean I am still going to be at a high risk of miscarrying then?
You don't know how happy u made me feel to know that their are people who actually would read and reply to a post! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
My sonogram is Friday..
Have a blessed day!
Bellaollie, sorry to say you are never fully "in the clear" of all risk of miscarriage at any given point in pregnancy, but he odds of having a miscarriage go down as time goes by, as Andi said.  I agree with her too about the intuitive knowing that something might be wrong.  When my doctor and I later discussed my second miscarriage, a pregnancy that I had not felt was right from the get-go, she said she sees that with patients enough not to brush it aside.  I hope you are just having garden-variety nervousness (happens in all pregnancies!)  :)