MedHelp Social Community
Plans for the Holidays?

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Plans for the Holidays?

Just wondering if anyone out there has "new" plans this year....maybe a new marriage starting new traditions, new baby, ect ect, just anyone out there doing something different this year?

I plan to go home this year...it will be the first Christmas I have gone back since I left in May 2005. I have taken 5 days off of work, basically the days that I have out of school, I took off from work and plan to head home. I am hoping that I get to spend time with my mom, 2 brothers and one of my aunts, and of course all of my neices and nephews. If I get to acheive all of that, that will be the best Christmas present ever. So right now, I am just praying that I can tie the ends together here so I can afford to go home...
Tags: Holiday, christmas, plans
Yes am going back to freezing old England for Christmas , actually I say this but I hear a lot of you have had snow ,I fly next week to spend it with a whole bunch of Brits and some Scotts aswell, a ton of kids, and a few folks in the middle of divorce ,and at that yelling stage, should be an interesting Christmas this year!!
goodluck hope it work out for you.. this year is going to real differen t for our family because this is the first year without my mom she passed last february..plus i have a new granddaughter so it will be a tough and alittle happy it will be ral different
I am going to be spending my first Christmas clean off pills!!!!
congrats sarah have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!
Thanks Jollyman.........I hope you find alot of comfort in the memories of your mom,  they live thru us now.  Enjoy that new granddaughter.......MERRY CHRISTMAS
Congradulations Sarah. Jollyman, I will put you in my prayers
This will be my first Christmas without shopping......Does that count as something new and different??? This will be the first time I haven't spent at least $4,000 on Christmas in years.

And Sarah I hope you know we are all so proud of you. You Rock.

Brian, again my heart goes out to you. But you'll see that baby will put a smile on your face and ease some of the pain from the loss of your mother. We always have an empty spot when we no longer have a parent.

You'll all be in my prayers as you so often are.
Beautiful,
         Do you have any dates on when you will be coming home yet???

Jollyman,
        Hang in there man I know its tough but memories are what you are now left with I think you should share some good stories about her at the dinner table this christmas.

Sara,
     CONGRATS now send me some  d@m snow Lmao
I just had twin girls in august, so now we have a family of 5 instead of 2, I am blessed
alienshadow, school is out 24-28, so those are the days that I asked off, so I am hoping to leave here the 23rd when I get off of work @ 11pm, or I might wake up early the 24th...I am praying that this works and I can actually go home...I am so excited :D
How much do you want??  Maybe it would be easier to just switch houses for the winter!!!!  Had to snowblow a patch out in the backyard for the beagle......it was over her back!!!  Supposed to get flurries today and another "significant" storm is moving in for the weekend.  This blows!!!!!!
All you can give LOL Blow it this way
hey, blow some to Florida too...I will send my sunshine :D
I will do my best!!!!!
No special plans. Just want to spend with spouse and children (26, 22,8 ) unless they have other plans. Know how that is?
If it wasn't for my son,I wouldn't even celebrate christmas this year.My mom passed away in August.My birthday,thanksgiving,her birthday coming up, and then christmas its too much.Everybody I've ever really cared about has passed during the summer,why? I'm not handling it well,my mom not here..I'm not myself,my house is a mess.But what am I doing,sitting on this damn computer..Bah! humbug
Just cherish the memories that you have of you lost loved ones, and remember that your mom is looking down on you from Heaven and wouldn't want you to be depressed. I do understand your feelings tho. Remember that one day you will be with your mom again.
Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel ... ya one day we will be together in the spiritual world ... I know you were very close to your mom ... your life went away with her ... near death experience teach us death is one of the most important lessons that must be learned by those affected by it and that death is just a body problem ..Life does not end when we die. Death is a rebirth into a spirit world of light and love, a transition from the physical to the spiritual that is no more frightening or painful than passing between rooms through an open doorway. It is a joyful homecoming to our natural home... your beloved mom is healthy and happy with Jesus , her cancer is gone , all the pain she carried inside her is erased , all that remains is love ... pure love and complete understanding ... I will pray that you find peace .. You never lost your mom , she is with you in spirit and one day  you will see her , just a matter of time it is ... God bless
So true and well spoken.   Madlyn
I got my plane ticket today.......I AM GOING HOME AFTERALL

IM SO EXCITE :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You better hope I dont forget to pick you up at RDU Tuesday night. Does mom know your coming home?? I am not telling her she will be excited. I am not sure ifs she is working tuesday night or not any way we can stop in were shes works !
yea I know....I will be her Christmas present LOL :D
you better not forget, you are my only way home..... (puppy face)
Alienshadow, you know you will be at the RDU with bells on your toes two hours early LOL waiting to pick up your little sister for Christmas :D
I will be there but I wont have no d@m bells on my toes lol.
:P
I've been avoiding this topic because I don't want to get my hopes up and end up disappointed.  I'm hoping I will be able to see both of my parents and my sister. Except for my dad, I haven't seen my family since I moved nearly a year ago.

Congrats to those who are having their first Christmas clean from pills/drugs/alcohol, etc. I can imagine that must be a very proud feeling to accomplish.

And for those meeting each other, I hope that goes well.
IM SO EXCITED....2 MORE DAYS...MY LUCK THE PLANE WILL CRASH....LOL
Hopefully the plane won't crash. Things should go well.
Yo remember to call me I still might forget LMAO i WONT FORGET
Im not worried, I know you won't forget your baby sister at the airport. like I said you will be there with bells on your toes. Hey, remember that time we were going to the beach, and we took the bus, the bus stopped, we got off, and as we were loading, you caught me getting on the wrong bus....I often wonder what would have happened to me if you hadn't seen me get on another bus anyway... Holly told me that Mom was crying because she thinks I am not going. Boy, won't she be surprised
Yes She will be I have made like you wont coming home so be sure to keep it that way. If shes working we plan on taking you there to surprise her. How much luggage you bringing 1 or 2 or 3 suitcases?
should be 1 suitcase and maybe a bookbag
I will need to collect 200.00 on gas LMAO ! Have you checked the airline to be sure they dont charge a lugage fee?? Be sure of about that these airlines are crooked to!!
they actually charge 15 dollar luggage fee for checked luggage, thats why I will take my luggage on plane, I can take 1 piece of luggage and 1 personal item or handbag as carry on...would a bookbag be personal item, or would that count as carry on?
btw I am traveling through air tran
If you carry on you case has to be a certain size you need to call them on size I would think a bookbag could be carried on but it would be in your way. Who the hel is airtran LMAO
I just called them, they said it should be fine...so we will see :)
Im so excited I wish it were tomorrow LOL :D
Okay dont tell mom now I got her thinking you wont be here
yea I know...I won't say anything, but what if Holly or AL does? dont tell Chad either, I dont want him to get mad and spite us...you know him
I have talked to AL she has told Holly to hush hush so we will see I aint saying nothing to nobody at all
I am so excited for your family. As I have read your posts, I am almost brought to tears. I feel the love between siblings. I sure hope you will be able to surprise your Mom. I traveled on Air Tran, when I flew from Atlanta to DFW in Texas. I had never flown before. Can you imagine a 50 y/o that had never flown. Well, The pilot that was going to fly the plane back to Atlanta sat in the seat beside me. Was very interesting and informative. I forgot to be afraid. Kept asking where the Mississippi River was? I will pray for a safe trip and a visit with family that will provide wonderful memories. Blessings to you all.   Madlyn
I hope your visit goes well.  You will let us all know how it turns out right?  Why no bells? I think an alien would look cute with bells on his toes. But that's just my opinion and we know how little it matters.
-----------------------
I'm feeling disappointed.. The weather spoiled our plans. I won't be seeing my parents this Christmas. :(

My mom sent me pictures of the snow they got.  I may upload a few.
MJ I am sorry that you won't be able to make it home, trust me I know what it feels like, the past few years I havent been able to make it home, this is the first Christmas that is has actually worked out, and without the help of my brother and my aunt, I still would not have made it home. Just keep your family in your heart and have nice telephone conversations, thats really all you can do, and sit around and remember old times.

As to everyone else....IM SO EXCITED....I WILL SEE YOU TOMORROW NIGHT BIG BRO!!!!
I have only flown once before, well twice technically because it was round trip, it was from JAX to ATL (jacksonville FL,-Atlanta Ga) so it was only a 45 minute flight, it was also with airtran. I wasnt really scared, but I was nervous. but on the way home, I was so tired, I didnt really give a f**k LOL we had a speach tournament that weekend in Rome GA at the college there. But anyway....Yes, Alien and I do love each other, and obviously we both love our mom or we wouldnt care about surprising her with my appearance for Christmas, but our love for each other is different, you see, Alien isn't the sentimental/mushy type, where as I am. He's the type of person that if he picks on you or calls you at 4am sounding like a little old lady who wants to buy your car, then ya know he cares...and yea he actually did that one time. Our mom had a car for sale, and at 4am one day he decides to change his voice to sound like an old lady, and wanting to by Moms car, unfortunately I answered the phone, now after about 10 minutes of the conversation--me trying to wake up--I caught on that it was alien...and I hung up, making Mom get pissed at me because she thought it was real...Go Figure. LOL  oh I have so many stories LMAO
Thanks. My mom and I did have a wonderful conversation, even though the news was disappointing. It's nice to have the computer and the phone. She sent me photos of the snow they got and some photos of relatives. She said so far they've gotten the second most snowfall ever this year and the season has just begun. Not to mention they expect more snow this week. On our end we are dealing with bitter cold.
---------
Thanks for sharing that story about Alien.  I notice he does try to be a tough one but still some jingle bells on the toes would be great. =P Maybe a glittery bow on the top of the head too?

I hope this visit turns out wonderful. I'm sure he must be very excited as you are.
My mother-in-law grew up in East Germany during Hitler's reign.  She always enjoys a traditional German Christmas.  This year, we think it could be her last Christmas either physically or mentally (her alzheimer's is getting worse) and so we are going to spoil her with a traditional Christmas like what she grew up with.  My sister-in-law and I have been working on it together.  I know she'll enjoy it and so will the rest of us.  My mother and brother always come with us to my in-laws when we do Christmas together and so it will be a wonderful time!
I hope that this can be your mother-in-law's best Christmas.
MJ I am the nicest guy you could ever meet. I just dont let people run over me. That means in person or if I am on the net.That being said

I am not wearing no bells on my toes and I am not putting a bow on top of my head LOL
I've been reading everyone's plans for Christmas!  I wish you all the best and lots of warmth and love!  

My brother-in-law passed away on March 6th this year and it will be my sister-in-law's first Christmas without him. She has immersed herself in making sure her mother gets that traditional German Christmas and I think it's helping her deal with her loss.  We will miss Allen, but we know he'll be with us in Spirit.

I know many people here have lost loved ones this year and are not sure if they will be with family.  Please know that you are loved and you will be in my prayers!  This is a time to really come together as a people and give of ourselves to everyone!  Try to make someone else have a great Christmas.  Even if you don't have a lot to give - maybe buy a gift from an Angel tree at Walmart or any place that has one!  I know it always brings joy to my heart to know that I can be an instrument in helping someone else have a wonderful holiday!  

I love this time of year and the love people show each other.  I know ugliness comes out when people are shopping but underneath it all I think people are generally good and want to do the right thing.  Just be kind to everyone in your path this year and watch the kindness grow throughout the world!  It only takes one person to bring peace and love to someone and they give it back to others.  Keep the kindness rolling!!!

Anyway, I know I'm rambling, but I feel so strongly that loving each other and being kind really makes a huge difference!

Lots of love to all my friends and to those who I have not met yet - Merry Christmas, Happy Hanakah, and Happy New Year!

Love,
Janet
I said before in pm (when I was able to pm you,) I think we can be friends if we can both just let go of the past, drop it and forgive each other. We're never going to agree 100% of the time, but that doesn't mean we can't still get along some of the time.

That said, a double negative cancels out (both in math and in english) so that means you're either wearing bells on your shoes or we can make you. :P You're out numbered. Two to one.
Merry Christmas to you also this time of yr brings back memories of my best friend I wish he was still here he took his life way to young. If I could go back to that night maybe things would be different but it happened so fast there was nothing I could do even if I could go back. So for a few moments this yr as always I will go to a room by myself and think of him and the good ol days He will always be missed
Alienshadow:

I'm so sorry about your best friend.  You are right, there's nothing you could have done.  When people make that choice to end their life - I believe God loves them and welcomes his children home with open arms.  He is a loving, kind God and we just don't know how badly some people hurt inside.  I'll bet he is around you all the time and loves you very much!  I hope and pray that you find comfort in knowing that and knowing that he is with you especially when you take those private moments to remember him!

With love,
Janet

P.S.  By the way, the spaceship never showed up on Friday!  ;)
Thanks it took many yrs for me to get over what had happened and to witness it. I still have flashbacks but I cope pretty good now. Let me tell you something I dont care what anyone says if you find yourself in a situation like that remember if all goes wrong it was not your fault it took many yrs for me to realize that I blamed myself for so long and I kept it in. I never found happiness until I went to his grave site and just sat there and talked it felt like he was right there with me. I really believe in the after life and there presence. I still feel guilty at times but I know it wasnt my fault some people cant cope with this life and I have excepted he was just one of those guys.

P.S. The spaceship got lost in the blizzard I am trying to track its GPS system to get its location right now its under 20 ft of snow LMAO
Can I send you a christmas note? Some hot chocolate and some warm cookies, until you can get your spaceship working?
Alienshadow:

I can understand the guilt, but you're right there was nothing you could have done.  I'm glad you are able to feel him!  I believe like you in the after life and believe our loved ones are there waiting for us!  :)

Now, good luck getting the spaceship out from under all that snow!  LMAO!!!!!
I tried to send you a note so I leave you with some fresh cookies but my note didn't go through.

Perhaps you could do something this Christmas to honor your friend ? You could light a candle and/or make a Christmas ornament (or purchase one).

Swampy hopes to see his mom for Chirstmas, and his new niece. But given the weather forecast, he will probably spend Christmas in some airport watching CNN while the winter storm clears.

Oh well, Swampy would far rather that airlines fly safe than that they fly on time.
That's a bummer about the snow.  Hopefully everyone will arrive safely. It seems the snow hit pretty hard all over the country.

I'm thinking it would be nice if grandma and I can bake some cookies, but that means having to go shopping to get the ingredients and the stuff I want to use to decorate.  But it may be worth it. I'd like to make more cookies like the ones I uploaded in my photo.  The cookies in my photo were from a cooking activity done with people with varying disAbilities. We worked together to add an egg, butter, stir the mix, cut the cookies and then bake and decorate.
I don't have to go to my husband's family Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!   That makes the best present ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my new plans for christmas. Oh yeah he is going to go, I am not.
As usual, my memory has failed. If you haven't already left to pick up sister at aairport, maybe you could wear a red bowtie? LOL (whatever that means, I think it means lots of love/laughs?) Hers to making many happy memories to your family and to everyone this season.   Madlyn
no, my flight leaves @ 3:30 and I will arrive to my final destination @ 7:19...I am leaving school early so I can finish packing last minute things
As soon as you can please let us know that your trip made it well.
Okay beautiful made it in safe and sound ! We are glad she could make it home for Christmas this yr. It is the first time in a long time. Thanks for all the well wishes !!
You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that worked out. I can imagine you two running and giving a big hug!  No bells or bows either.
We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. As a day shift nurse I had to work every other Christmas Day. So when my children were young it was easier to celebrate X-mas Eve than to change every year to Christmas Day.  So tomorrow night is our Christmas. My daughter (granddaughter actually but I raised her) is living and going to college in Chgo. She is a 4.0 senior at Loloya. You can't tell I'm proud. She just called me as she was to be home tonight. Everything is grounded between here (4 hours to home in WI) and there. As the storm leaves Chgo it will spread over WI, where she is trying to go. This is our 4th storm in 7days. It is doubtful she will make it home for Christmas. My heart is broken. I have not had a Christmas without her since she was born when I was 32. She has been so much a part of my Christmas. I will miss her so very, very much
Tuck
I'm sorry to hear the weather is wrecking your Christmas plans as well. I'll see if I can send you a hug, some hot chocolate, and some fresh cookies.
I went down this last week to visit my Dad and brothers and sisters and ended up staying longer to attend my uncle's funeral.  So I got home late yesterday afternoon just in time to prepare for Christmas Eve with my husband and son and we had such a wonderful time together.  Today I am cooking so I can take it with me this afternoon for another long drive for my first Christmas with my husband's family.  They used to live way up north and moved down south in the last 2 years so am quite looking forward to that.  Merry Christmas everyone!
I made it back home, but I wish I could go back already :( but I have school tomorrow :(
I know you had a wonderful trip.visit and many memories were made that can be forever cherished.   Madlyn