MedHelp Social Community
What do you do when you get Mad!?

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

What do you do when you get Mad!?

What do you do when you get really mad or angry?  Everyone deals with anger differently!  I'm just curious.

I tend to cry when I get really mad or I get quiet.  Then when I calm down, I can talk about it with the person who angered me.  I don't get angry often, but when I do - it has to be bad!
36%
 (8) 
I cry or get quiet.
36%
 (8) 
I scream or yell.
18%
 (4) 
I throw things.
9%
 (2) 
I do something busy (i.e., exercise, clean)
22 Members voted
If it gets really bad? ALL of them! Then I sleep it off! lol
Teko:
LOL!!!! Happy Easter!
Noe of the above
None really apply. Most everyday things don't make me angry. If it involves a conflict between me and another person I try to think who is in the wrong. If its me I apologize. If its the other person I don't bother to get angry. I explain things so they finally understand why they are in the wrong. I don't get mad or get even. I find a negotiable solution. Anger is energy misdirected to me that could be spent otherwise.
I voted for yell and scream, but something has to really set me off.  I go through different stages of getting PO'd-LOL.  The first stage-slightly PO'd-I will try to tell the other person how I feel in hopes of working things out.  The second stage-quite PO'd-it's sarcasm time and don't care to work things out with the other person.  That "final" stage may get to the yelling point!  I'm not really the type to throw things!  That's a good thing!  LOL
Since my DH can really get under my skin i put yell! That's usually what i do but im more in between i VERY firml state my opinion and then zip it and refuse to talk to him LOL!!
I get mad but it is gone the next minute , I have been known to dwell too much but seem to have taught myself not to do that ..I am not allowed to speak it out ,I get shouted down and I do mean shouted ....so I am apt not to get rid of my frustrations, I live with that ..its my choice.. I know..I  talk to the cat who found me or come here to you guys ..to moan..LOl
I have a quick temper and try to stay away from people when it flares up. Everyone in my vicinity knows I am best left alone for these couple of minutes. And around my child I give myself a time-out. Things only escalate when I see violent behavior around me. It turns me into a raging bull, ready to defend the victim. It all goes back to childhood experience.
I swear like a @#$$ truck driver....really got a potty mouth when I blow up,,,working on it,,the good news is I seldom get angry do not let other people have that power over me ,,,,I can totally blow people off, if needed.
When i get mad i get really quiet and busy.....underneath my breath i would make a sailor blush with my language!!!!
LMFAO...get it hahaha we are bad girls,,,
Shout, run up to my room, and slam the door really hard...Then maybe find something to do to occupy my time....  It depends a lot on the setting and what made me mad though.  In public I tend to break down and cry and cry....and cry....feel out of place with my surroundings and my body...
At home I tend to slam the door.  I have thrown stuff in the past...anger management is one of my challenges.

Another really odd thing:  It seems really minor things upset me more than major things.  I can be strangely calm in some situations, only to have a blow up later over something really small....
Remember the 7 words George Carlin wsn't allowed to say on Tv well i add about 15 to them....Cheri and I think alike....lol
Here's a random question:  I wonder what would be worse/better: Swearing or slamming doors, etc?

At least when swearing one isn't doing physical damage, but it could be embarrassing if someone else steps into the area.
both are bad in one way or the other one is verbal non self control   and one is physical non self control,,,I suppose swearing is cheaper you could break the doors !!!
Slamming the door is worst! I didnt know when we moved our bedroom door was only attached by one teeny weeny screw needless to say drinking too wine yelling at DH and slamming my door only had bad consequences lol! on top of that being drunk i ran in to it knocked it over and put a hole in it with my knee (oh wait i think i punched it when i fell) and a bruise on my knee cap for a month LOl!! See i should have just swore like a sailor!
You're right about swearing being cheaper.  I guess when I am angry that energy needs to be expelled physically or I have to write something....either here or in my blog.  I'm trying to cut down on it, because I doubt anyone likes to read about me ranting and raving over whatever, lol. Been there done that...At least now I know better than to publish such things until I am in a better mindset! Now if I can find a way to skip the door slamming.

I have my dad and his relatives to thank... Quite a few of them can get violent explosive tempers if not kept under check.  I seem to feel the worst anger when I feel out of control within a given situation...  It's one thing to know the Serenity prayer, repeat it and another thing to fully be able to act upon it AT the time of stress!
mj I used to tell my  boys when they wanted to pound on each other to go beat up their bed pillow,,,,try punching your pillow I mean hard...let that anger out and you wont hurt anything cept maybe your hand...its never healthy to repress emotions,,I mean its inappropiate at times but its healthy to cry, to let go of anger etc...
pillow is  a good idea  i thought those punching bags was good until i saw kung fu panda lol so now i know i'd probably hit that thing and then it would hit me  bkwards flying and i d be more mad lol!
you think ( i suspect) that your blowing up over minor things, the major things are stored in your sub-consious memory, and when the minors  add up you blow...its just the straw that breaks the camels back

people who do not express anger or sadness...end up with things like ulcers, anxiery attacks etc...our bodies are wonderful at wanting us to be healthy...they do self protect if we consiously choose not too.
Take my lorazepam!!
I get really quiet.  i Also do the swearing under my breath. When I get angry at hubby I will call him Di(# for days instead of using his name lol! It gets really hard after a couple of times to do without laughing.

Terry
I start playing classical music on the piano.  It calms me down very quickly!  Usually something by Chopin, like Nocture #5, that's one of my favorites.
I start listening to music. Honestly, no matter what happens online, I don't really get mad at anybody. I don't think it is worth my time. When I get mad with someone (not online) I listen to music to forget all about it, or just watch tv.
I love your answer,,that shows tremendous self control,,,,really when we let someone anger us...they win because 9 times outta 10 that was the intent, to cause ruckus and argument..way to go PK!!!!
Because I don't have guessagain's meds (lol), I usually either cry or get really quiet.  BUT I have a brother who was a sailor so if I'm in the right (wrong?) mood when I get angry, I think I could put some sailors to shame.  

If I cuss like a sailor, I'll get it off my chest and it will be over.  If I get put into a situation where I have to either cry or get quiet - be careful, because it doesn't "go away" and the end result is NOT pretty, no matter how counterproductive my anger might be.
I'll have a ball of polyester to put my head on.  But I know what you mean.  At my parent's house we had a giant cloth sack of unsorted, mateless socks.  That was my punching bag.  I used to love it.  RIP bag of socks. =(

It is kind of weird how emotions are.  I tend to keep pretty quiet most of the time, except the tempers I mentioned. It almost always seems to be in the home when it happens.  If I'm upset at work (if I had a job) I tend to carry on okay as if nothing, or cry quietly and try to hide my face.  I tend to handle things well out in public a good amount of times.  Maybe my emotions do build up. When I get home I usually feel quite drained and tired.

I find it easier for me to communicate my emotions in type. Because of that I seem more likely to vent my anger on the web than in real life.  In public people see me as quite pleasent and charming.  In my head my mind races over whatever...Can be big things, can be small things.  Usually small things.  It makes it hard to talk with people because they kind of sigh or roll their eyes if I come to them complaining about something that bothers me but they couldn't care less over.

Now I feel an urge to beat up my pillow just for the heck of it.
Physically can't communicate too well so a good deal of my correspondence is by e-mail and I am just about to get a TTY installed. If you, or anyone else were to hear and see me I might not sound rational and would at times of the day seem like I was ranting but its my physical disability so not much to do about it. If needed I hold it in but that is painful. Might end up getting a communication device such as Stephen Hawkings has. However, if I have one of those episodes I shred paper. That's an excellent way to get rid of energy that's unwanted and a good way to make sure bills and other standard confidential material you get in the mail that you no longer need is not
ever read by others. Most people I know own one as well.            
I answered throw things BUT usually I throw punches . I have a punching bag in the spare bedroom and you know when I angry because Im in there having a smash session THEN i go crush some MS CONTIN and bash it because working the punch bag HURTS LIKE HELL - but inflicting pain on myself is a whole lot better than going to jail for assult ( yeah been there done that ) So I guess you could say I internalise a lot of my anger !
ok...punching bag = good,,,,smashing oxys= concerning.  be careful please I lost a good friend due to something very simillar......

it is good to let anger out,,,my mom holds it in and she has ulcerative colitis about every year..you know the things that happen...ulcers, panic..ets.... so keep on hitting that bag..buy some good punching gloves so ya dont hurt your hand..   C

I yell and scream alot. I can also get really mean and rude and say alot of hurtful things when I know deep down inside i dont mean anything i say. I think....i know i have an anger probelm. I try to be more calm, but in the end it doesn't work. You would think with all the anger i have i would have high blood pressure, but actually its normal!!!
probably because you let your anger and feelings out.  The people who do not let it out tend to be higher risk - at least that makes sense to me!  LOL!!
My adrenaline goes up - whoosh!  Then, I try to remain quiet and think on how to difuse it in a positive way of course.  But during that process, if the other person continues to pop off so to speak, and it's coming from someone I really love, admire and care about, I can easily begin to cry, in which I will dismiss myself in order for them not to see it.

But on the other hand, if it' someone I'm not close too, I will defend myself verbally in a heartbeat, trying to do so in a positive manner - without crying of course.

When I get really, really mad and my adrenaline shoots up, I get the shakes.  Does anyone else get the shakes?  
I cry or get real quiet. However, it takes lots to get me angry, however, lately, it seems like I get that way faster, must be hormonal. Anyway, I get quiet, or sometimes, shame on me, will swear so badly under my breath it would make a sailor blush.

Lately, I have been working on this, and I pray, but sometimes, I still act up, but, the Lord is working on me. It is a good thing He loves me sometimes.
I can get kind of shaky too. Usually if I notice it, it is more when I feel anxious than angry or a combination of angry and anxious.  If I am hungry then it is even worse.

Also I notice I tend to feel more agitated/ prone to being easily irritated, upset, or angry before I feel hungry.  I don't always feel the hunger pangs, but my mood can sure drop...and sometimes nothing will do until I stop and eat (if I skipped a meal).
He loves you all the time.
AMEN.  :  )