Menopause Community
Sudden onset of skin wrinkling and sagging in arms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Viewing 401-501 comments:

There are answers in this thread. See GanstaGranny's posts on Aug. 20 for example.   I think I made some good suggestions also.

What Gansta said about coffee...I recently became convinced I need to quit it too.  Bad news for skin and waistline.  I think Dr. Perricone's work is very valuable.  You could check out his book The Perricone Prescription.  Many have had great results with his diet recommendations.  He sells products, yes, but the diet works on its own.

I would also recommend trying the Tibetan Five Rites of Rejuvenation.  I am sure they are partly why I've stayed relatively youthful at 60+.  There's a ton of info about them online.  

Oh, and definitely look into MSM.  It's organic sulfur and has tremendous benefits for health, including skin and hair.  There is a very informative thread about it at the EDS Skin Care Forums, titled: "MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?"
My first comment is find a reputable laser person. I am the biggest fan of laser treatment on the planet:). I am 64 look about 45 and although part of that is a result of good genes the rest a result of great laser work. I was the first in my clinic's clients to have thermage and it was disappointing to me and very expensive. I just completed my third thermage and the results after a week are noticeable. I will soon have my tummy fat lasered. My goal is to do whatever I can to maintain me without allowing someone to cut me up.

Again do your homework. Laser works but you need to find the right doc.
I sure hope that is a genuine testimonial from you strangeframes, and I hope anyone considering laser treatment will investigate the very real complications that frequently occur. Google: Cosmetic IPL and Laser Danage.
Here I am several months later.  I've had to learn how to deal with my arms;  I do it mainly by covering up.  I am trying little else.  Although I do have to wonder if regular exfoliating in the arm area would build collogen under the skin and fill the area in.  Also with age, everything seems to shrink, so here we are left with a saggy casing where plumped up skin and peak muscle & thicker bone use to be.   Also as we age, our bodies don't hold unto water like it use to, so we beome a bit shrivelled.   Maybe it's a hormonal thing, not sure?  I am more concerned about my wrinkled face. although any body part is a concern..  My arms I can hide from the world but I can't hide my face.  Maybe in time I will learn to deal with a lined face as well.
I feel like you read my mind. I hate looking at myself in the mirror! It is as if I was younger looking yesterday & BAM I lost it today.  Aging is not for the squeamish. I feel sick..lol
For the brave (and unconventional):  Google "rejuvenation urine therapy"
secret genetic/ proteome, or phenome, warfare or 'management' on targeted groups.  not menopause or natural aging.  induced aging.  worser case scenario a complete malicious hack job.  less worser scenario, more complex to put in these margins, updates were done previously that are now incompatible with current roadmap.  probably former.  notice a specific group of ppl are not having these problems suddenly and are with non wrinkled elastic skin well into 80s.  in fact their skin is getting better in age and while some of them do have natural genetics for this surely they are still being amended.  in the least likely scenario, where there is no malice or even passive we cannot bring everyone into the future effect, but are actually with model that intends improve all but naturally with some casualties that are consequential, it could be done differently.

Could you elaborate?  How do you think people are being targeted, and how
is it possible to "induce aging"?  Sounds a bit sci-fi to me, but I'm intrigued.

Thanks.
I think some signs of sagging and aging of the skin does have to do with genes.  Some are just lucky or so it seems.  My mom was 81 when she passed and her skin was less lined and more youthful than mine,   My father also had youthful skin, yet I am so lined and saggy in places that at times I want to hide.  I kept my youthful look up until about age 57-58.  At that age I was still mistaken for several years younger than my actual age, Then came 59 and I started to droop more, like everywhere, but I still looked like me, but aging was very rapid after I hit 60.  The last 2 years I really aged, seriously when I look into the mirror at times I say hey, that can't be me, but it is.  On the humerous side, my arms have taken on the look of matchsticks, my underarms flop unless I work hard on keeping them toned.   My knees look like loose panty hose.  My butt and hips are hanging lower these days, if they get any lower, then they will join the area where my knees use to be. My breasts hang about 4" lower than they use to be, if they keep that up, they will be where my hips use to be...ha ha. Seems now like my ears are getting bigger, but I think that's because my face has shrunk..  
Some days I cry, and some days I laugh at myself.
Oh, by the way I've alway's been a thin person. How can a thin person sag and get wrinkles?, well, yes they can. They can even look worse than some one who has some padding under their skin.  I have way more lines on my skin than my plumper friends.  Last summer I was sick and lost more weight,  My under arms were like sails, loose paper thin skin with no filling.  My thighs turned the same, loose and took on the appearance of  crepe paper.  That has since reversed on my thighs but need to still work on my arms..   Now I am trying to put back all of the weight I lost and then add a few.  I will let you all know if putting on weight can reverse some of the sag and lines on the body as a whole.. You all have a good day.
Again, lecithin and other foods and supplements have skin-plumping effects.  
I've been reading about the "youthing" effects of bee pollen and am resolved to ingest it regularly and make a topical cream.  Do a search:  "Bee Pollen For Skin Health."
I am 58 years old and can't believe how fast my skin went from firm to sagging especially my arms and if I am in the yoga position "Downward Dog" -- I can't bear to look at my legs.  And I was a personal trainer who was in great shape until menopause.  

Part of the reason is my weight.  When I was in my 20's, if I LOOKED at a carton of Ben & Jerry's I gained weight.  Now I am 5'8" and 111 pounds and I have to TRY and stay at this weight.  The problem for me is that my stomach did shrink and if I eat one bite too many, I become nauseous.  I need to put on weight not only to fill out my body but because being underweight has sapped all my energy.  And I have to confess that I have not worked out in a while because between the effects of menopause [zero estrogen, zero testosterone and neither Estradiol nor Androgel agreed with me] and my lack of energy...I lost my motivation.  

I have had fillers [Perlane and Juviderm] in the naso-labial folds and Botox so my face is not my problem; my body is.  I don't want to resort to cosmetic surgery on my body so my question is:  has anyone found an exercise program out there that works on sagging and loose skin?   This isn't a problem I had to address previously because it seemed like it happened so quickly and I don't want to do the same DVD's I have been doing if it doesn't address the problem.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts [and am glad to know that I am not the only one out there dismayed at the changes in their body] and would love to hear any suggestions.

Wondering how many here are coffee drinkers.  It's pro-aging according to D. Perricone:
http://www.dailyperricone.com/2010/03/cortisol-the-death-hormone/

I've cut it out mostly.  Once in a while I'll add a little to hot chocolate.  Nice!
I found the comments about certain antibiotics and also neck injury as possible culprits for sudden onset of wrinkled, crepe-like skin.  I had to take a lot of Flagyl recently and also had a car accident with neck injuries.  The skin on my right arm is much worse than my left. What is interesting about this is that my injuries and pain is much worse on my right arm than my left and the crepe skin and wrinkles appear in the areas where I have the most pain. I am going to show this to my doctor at my next appointment.  My injuries are at C5, C6 and C7 and involve the narrowing of the spinal canal.
Well it happened to me it seemed all of a sudden, old lady arms , yuk, then I came here and read about the oil swishing, and I think that has really made a difference. I have also been on a cleanse, something to clean out your gut, some cleanse i got off Dr oz, I haven't gone crazy, i have a sweet tooth, i never will, taking vitamins, working out a little. When i would bend over the skin on my arms looked like it wanted to come off my body, i cant believe the improvement , I'm waiting for some maca powder, and magnesium oil cant wait to see if that helps. Try natural things before you go to the doc , Good luck, Oil swishing is good for you no matter what, good oral health, leads to general good health, now I'm done thank you very much

Glad you discovered oil pulling and are experiencing such benefits!  I've been doing it long-term and I'll never stop.  There's an oil pulling forum at curezone, it's full of testimonials for oral and whole body health benefits, including skin.
You'll be glad you ordered the magnesium oil and the maca powder. Definitely try the natural approach first of all, and diet is #1.  We have a lot of options, we just need to stay open to them.  Seek and ye shall find!
I take magnesium tablets every day:  I guess it would be the same as oil.
Also I have started using Macadamia nut oil on my face and hands, I have sensitive skin....  But I was told about DMAE ....  do you know much about this cream.... I have noticed I have horrible crepe skin inside my arms, just over the last 6 months.... I am on blood pressure tablets only.
I also take a teaspoon of flaxseed meal in my shake in the mornings...
I always like to try the natural way 1st... Thanks for the information site.

Cheers Amelia
I'd recommend using the magnesium oil as well as taking the tablets.  Magnesium is supposed to be better absorbed through the skin.  I've heard about DMAE cream, haven't tried it, I might do so.  I know Dr. Perricone promotes it.

Another thing I'd recommend is taking unflavored gelatin.  It gives a big boost to collagen.  It's been called "the latest anti-aging miracle."  
Gelatin = collagen, and it stimulates our bodies to lay down more collagen in our skin, bones, tendons and muscles.  All it takes is one or two tablespoons a day.  I put it in tea and sometimes make sugar-free jello sweetened with fruit juice.  Great Lakes gelatin is a good brand, but Knox will do!
I'm a coffee drinker. Thanks for the link. I love Dr Perricone

Welcome.  Recently I tried an organic freeze-dried instant coffee, making it with milk,mixing it with cacao powder and sweetened with xylitol and organic honey. It was nice. I'll have that just once in a while, otherwise, no coffee for me.  

Just read a debate on whether coffee is healthful, at Huffington Post, between Dr. Mark Hyman and Dr. Patricia Fitzgerald.  Cast your vote! :)
I just turned 49 in May, I want to add a couple years ago I not only had to be on iV leviquan/but cipro twice. I have had nothing but trouble this year. I think my arms have aged 20 years in the last 3 months no exageration,im also a size 3 and avid gym rat,vegetarian over 25 years. I feel so old,tired,and dehydrated alot. My moods are horrible,and periods a constant disaster. I have had a torn calf muscle,and a severe torn chest muscle that required an er.visit/and im still sore two months later. I cannot work out at all,and everything is turning to sag. Im still thin,but look very drawn,life is depressing.

A couple more pieces of the aging puzzle:  iodine deficiency and salt deficiency.  Anyone concerned with their health and youthfulness needs to read up on iodine.  There is an epidemic of iodine deficiency and this causes many problems.  Lynne Farrow's book The Iodine Crisis is a good source, but there's a ton of info online. Google "iodine deficiency symptoms."  Dry skin is one of the symptoms.  Improved skin texture is frequently noted in those taking iodine. The iodine researcher Dr. Guy Abraham reports:

"We placed an 83-year-old woman on orthoiodosupplementation [ Iodine therapy] for six months at 50 mgs of elemental iodine daily. She experienced a tremendous increase in energy, endurance, well being, and memory. At six
months all her skin peeled off and was replaced by new, younger-looking skin.
She was flabbergasted and amazed at her new appearance.”
-- Guy Abraham,
MD, Endocrinologist

Other benefits include improved memory, absence of ‘brain fog,’ and regular bowel movements in those who were constipated.

Now as to salt - I'm referring to healthful salt such as Redmond brand Real Salt, not ordinary table salt.  It helps skin, among other benefits. Google:
Can Eating the RIGHT Kind of Salt Really Make You Beautiful?

I started eating cereal again with WHOLE fat milk and have been doing it for six months.  I never expected the protein and milk fat would make my upper arms fill in with a more muscular appearance..I'm 67, slender, fit and have been hesitant to wear anything less than 3/4 sleeves; now, I'm rethinking that.

It doesn't improve overnight, but I googled milk as a protein for body-building..here's what I found...

WHOLE MILK

WHY? Full-fat milk can help combat the reduction in muscle mass associated with getting older, especially after the age of 50.
THE EVIDENCE: A 2006 study found that drinking full-fat milk after exercise helped ensure that muscle mass was enhanced.
Whole milk contains 118mg of calcium per 100ml, which is essential for bone health as well as assisting blood-clotting.
The daily recommended intake of calcium is about 1,000mg for men and 1,200mg for women. Eating green vegetables, nuts and seeds in addition to whole milk is an effective way to achieve this.
HOW TO EAT: Whole milk can be added to porridge, cereals, tea, coffee and smoothies. Get professional advice before taking a calcium supplement – for example, taking too much can increase prostate cancer risk in men.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2224005/The-8-foods-40-eat-Diet-essentials-40-plus-club.html#ixzz2ZeBZE2jv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Thanks for the enlightment about whole milk, think I'll give it a try since I need to gain a few pounds any way and God only knows I could use the protein. Though, let me add that as we get older, some of us lack the enzyme to digest diary, but one can buy a dairy digestive product containing lactate which will help to digest milk products.
I am very happy to have stumbled upon these posts, and have just spent a very long time reading them from over the past 3 years.  I am about to turn 52, and over the past two years I have been watching my arms literally wrinkle in front of my eyes.  I exercise regularly and, for the most part, can live with the rest of my body (well, okay, my knees are starting to bother me a bit also).  But my arms look like those of an 80 year-old woman.  And it has happened so suddenly, and so quickly, I just don't understand it.  I have been going through menopause, and I also have lived in Florida for the past 25 years and have had my share of the sun. But the rest of my body, as I stated, is holding up pretty well.  

I have also been severely depressed (like so many of you who have posted) and do not want to wear anything showing my arms, but that is very difficult in the 90+ degree temps here in Florida.  I have a great group of close friends my age, and I find myself comparing my arms to theirs when we're together - and they look so much better...I just feel like crying :(  

I am desperate for advice and would love to know what has worked the best for those of you out there who are suffering like myself.  I am planning to do more research on iodine deficiency and some of the other suggestions I have read throughout these posts...but would very much appreciate any other current advice/suggestions you may have.  Other than my terribly wrinkled arms, I physically feel like a much-younger person who thrives on being active, exercising and enjoying life.  

I plan to watch for posts, and thanks for any comments/advice!    
I feel like I could have written your post.  I am 52, live in FL, 5'4 weigh 115 lbs, and try to stay in shape but my arms look like I am at least 80.  Now I notice the inside of my thighs are doing the same thing!  Do you think it is just genetics and there is nothing we can do?  I am getting very self conscious when wearing a bathing suit and this is new to me, I hate it.  There has to be something that will at least improve it.

I'm wondering if medication might have something to do with the rapid aging.
I'd be interested to know what meds people are on who are experiencing this.
Meds can have nasty side effects.

Checking back in to see if anyone has come up with a miracle. Looks like a big fat NO. Last dermatologist I went to see said without me even asking that I was experiencing the loss of elastin in skin. Add to that Florida, blue eyes, blond, way too much sugar most of life. Also two courses of Cipro after foot surgery which didn't help the skin any,for sure.I have been fit and trim my whole life. Now at 61 with arms of an 80 year old granny, and been this way starting at age 57. Did the amino acids, trying to raise natural levels of human growth hormone. Went up a whopping 3 points, and this with increased exercise, like riding my mountain bike like a crazed woman. I believe we are suffering from a combination of many things exacerbated by our inherited genetic makeup. I have spent hours(more like days) trolling the internet for answers. Any exterior treatments seems to focus only on the face with these tiny bottles of expensive ointments. I do believe Vit. C heavy doses do help some what, esp. those of us who bruise easy. More protein too. But the biggest thing is not to excessively focus on this new obstacle in our life. It ain't easy. Exercise improves the mental outlook and still does some improvement on muscle tone. Those women over there without the granny arms and legs-guess what? They got other problems we might not be in a hurry to trade for. Any of you with extra money and a willing doctor might try the HGH protocol. My doctor says it works wonders, but the FDA can make it a nightmare for doctors to prescribe. A trip to Mexico might be in order but now this fix gets pricey. I suspect most of us here are not that well off. Chin up, ladies. We will survive this, too.

Definitely get off sugar.  You can still have sweet treats in moderation, made with xylitol, stevia and raw honey.

I'd like to toot the gelatin horn again.  Powdered gelatin = collagen, and it stimulates collagen production in our bodies when we imbibe it. It can help our joints, bones, teeth and hair as well as skin.  It boosts metabolism and is thought to increase HGH.  Who needs to pay for expensive HGH treatments? As well as taking powdered gelatin in juice, tea, smoothies etc.,  we can also make bone broth, rich in nutrients including gelatin.

Many of us are estrogen dominant, and this is pro-aging. Gelatin has anti-estrogenic effects.

It also helps us to sleep well.  I take a couple of tablespoons of gelatin a day, and the second dose is in camomile tea right before bed.  It works. :-)

Also try inversion therapy.  The headstand is ideal, but we can also benefit from an inversion table, or simply lying on our back with our legs up against a tree or other support.  The benefits are multitudinous.  Google "inversion therapy benefits."

However, best not to do inversions if one is very overweight or has high blood pressure.
What is laser do for tummy fat?
I got on this forum to find a way to tighten my creppy arms & thighs.  My legs look like an elephant just above my knee because so much saggy skin just hangs there in wrinkles.  Was disappointed to see few remedies on this forum.  I carried 25 extra lbs on & off (yoyo diets kept it off a l lot) from 45 -62 but never had saggy skin.  Then @ 62 overnight it was evident like hanging above my elbow & knee when I lost only 10 lbs.  I'm 5'4" & had sexy arms into my mid 50s,  The they got fatter by not saggy.  Then I lost some fat & the sags jumped on me @ 62.  IT *****!!!  
I plan on getting back in the gym, looking into iodine therapy.  Something I have just begun to research is how to create HGH naturally.  I got an IT band injury when I did high intensity interval training without first stretching but am ready to tackle it again.  You must have a good diet combined with High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  HIIT means pushing your muscles to complete exhaustion for 30 seconds or so then recover for 90 seconds but it's only 2 - 3 days per week & only for 12 - 15 minutes so very doable on a busy, hectic schedule.  Other days you exercise normally.  My problem is partly lack of exercise as my schedule got busier during my 60s.  Google Mercola High Intensity Interval Training for details.  I plan to post again in a couple of months to reveal if it helps. I'm even taking pictures so my opinions will be more objective but can't post pics here I guess. I was embarrassed to be seen in sleeveless but I've got so I don't give a crap how people view me & wear sleeveless anyway - even at work around all the 40 & less employees.  BUT ...I WAY prefer to look toned so starting this am walking again after the IT band injury & will begin HIIT with arms this week.  As the IT band injury heals, can start HIIT below the waist.
The HIIT sounds good, will check that out.

Desiccated liver promotes muscle development and fat loss.  Google "Desiccated Liver & Me" for the story (with pics) of a woman who developed quite awesome arms even though she didn't lift weights.
Any connections with the dairy industry, darling?  Sorry, I don't buy into the whole milk nonsense.  Cow's milk is for calves, not for humans.  And if you want to build muscle.... exercise.  Get a pair of dumbbells if the appearance of your arms bother you.  Anyway, the fat content in milk, even so-called low-fat, is plain scary.

I feel good quality whole milk can be beneficial in moderation.  By good quality I mean raw milk or as close to it as possible (lightly pasteurized).
Raw milk can even be enjoyed if one is lactose intolerant. It contains lactase, an enzyme that neutralizes lactose.  Of course, it can be difficult to get raw milk in the stores, but it can be ordered online.

Here's something from Dr. Mercola quoting Mark McAfee, founder of Organic Pastures, one of the largest producers of raw milk in the United States:

Some people believe that cow’s milk is food for calves only, and should not be consumed by humans to begin with.

However, this may be too simplified a view. As McAfee explains:

“Cows have four stomachs, so they can eat grass… They are literally that animal between us and the sun. They are solar sun convertors. They take sunshine expressed as grass on the ground (because the grass obviously grows when the sun hits the ground and [with] water the grass grows).

We can’t eat the grass but the cow can eat the grass, and then we can eat what the cow provides… [which] is very, very nutrient dense and very digestible by humans.”

To find out how to get raw milk and other healthful dairy products delivered, Google "buy raw milk online."
No-one here has actually made the sensible decision to accept that ageing (aging) happens and get on with your life, you can't be a chicky-babe forever.

I don't think it's anyone's aim to "be a chicky-babe forever."  We just want to be the best we can be.  Youthful maturity is certainly do-able.  
I haven’t posted in such a long time, but have kept up with this thread.  I haven’t come up with the miracle cure, that is for sure.  I will say that I have come to terms with my arms to a certain degree; I don’t stress about it all day long any more.  I still don’t wear sleeveless tops or dresses, which I would love to wear here in sunny Southern California.   I turned 60 in May, which makes me feel a little better about having this sagging skin (although I see many women my age whose arms look great).  At this point, my legs are looking pretty saggy as well; but wearing longer shorts almost takes care of that problem.

I still don’t talk about this issue with anyone, because I feel that it would only draw unwanted attention to my arms.  Although she hasn’t said anything, I can now see my daughter’s eyes looking at my wrinkly skin.  I have never been heavy, but did gain (and then lose) about 20 pounds when I was much younger.  I have lost about 7 pounds recently and am about 5’3” and 108 pounds.  I am sure a bit more “fat” would fill out some of this skin; but I am sure if I gained weight now, it probably would go everywhere but where I would like!  I also feel that at this age, once the skin has sagged, nothing is going to make it more elastic and smooth.  I use my dry brush on my arms a couple of times a day; not that I think it will reverse the damage, I am just hoping that the extra stimulation might help reduce the speed of the sagging in the future (at least it feels good and won’t make it any worse!).

I try to focus on the fact that many people tell me how young I look, and they can’t believe that I am 60.  At least my face and neck look okay, and I can wear capris, skinny jeans, etc.  I will keep checking here to hear all of your suggestions and to just be supportive to other women who feel as I do.  Since I don’t share this “distress” with anyone in my “real” life, I am happy to know there are other women on this thread who understand.
No, there is no such thing as youthful maturity. We all sag, wrinkle,etc. Any form of artificial intervention is abhorrent. The best thing to do is maintain a healthy diet and exercise - this will not make you look younger but it will help you keep your good health longer. No supplements will make you look younger - if you believe they do, you are imagining it and have been brainwashed by vitamin companies who want your money.
Instead of gazing in the mirror, get out and do all the things you want to do - who cares how you look? I am over 60 and wrinkled as expected at my age, but I go backpacking regularly and have an active and interesting life and I don't give a darn what people think of my appearance.

I agree it is important to accept ourselves as we are, but
it is my belief that there is MUCH we can do to look and feel younger/youthfully mature, and this is borne out in my own experience.  

I do agree about interventions such as plastic surgery and laser treatments,
I'd never go for those.

I'm finding gelatin to be almost a miracle substance for "youthing." It stimulates growth hormone release and helps build collagen, among many other benefits.  For growth hormone release, best take it on an empty stomach, as in first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  Google "Gelatin Growth Hormone Releaser."
Altamisal, thank you for mentioning gelatin.  I googled it; and while I am not going to take it because I think it is the fountain of youth, it seems that many people have benefited from taking it.  I remember taking Knox gelatin for hair/nails when I was a teenager; it is certainly not a new fad!  I read some of the information about it to my husband and young adult daughter, and we are all going to give it a try (it is inexpensive and I feel we have nothing to lose).

Patros, I do feel that we should be active adults, not letting our looks prevent us from enjoying any activities.  Life is short, and we need to live it to the fullest.  That being said,  I feel the word ABHORRENT is awfully strong and condemning to people who feel differently than you.  After putting my curser over your user name, I see that you are male.  I realize that you may not understand how some women feel.  I don’t think that most of us are letting life pass us by while we gaze into a mirror, falling for every new Anti-Aging gimick on the market.  I found this forum by accident, when I was searching for ideas to possibly help slow the seemingly rapid sagging of the skin on my arms (not sure how you stumbled upon it).  I didn’t find a “cure” (which did not surprise me); but I was comforted to find that I was not alone.  I feel this is a place to share ideas and to accept and encourage others.

di523,

Probably true that gelatin by itself isn't the fountain of youth, but taken in combination with other important nutrients I've spoken of here, such as iodine, magnesium, vitamin C etc., it will indeed have an effect.  And exercise, of course.  I'm still meaning to start the "high intensity interval exercise" (HIIT) recommended by arbor girl.  I already do yoga and walk a lot.

You have to take enough of the gelatin.   I'm up to several tablespoons a day in water, juice or tea, and I also make jello sweetened with fruit juice!  

Anyway, today when I was out with my son, someone asked if I was his girlfriend or wife.  I take that with a grain of salt (he still gets carded, I don't) but I do know all this stuff is having a definite effect!
Mine is on my inner arms. Noticed couple weeks ago. It shocked me cause I am not growing old gracefully. A few years ago I noticed the left cheek area of my face had this. No where else on my face is there any. It never improves, used scrubs & lotions & the light also,  nothing. Glad I saw this topic.
Omg you must be my double. I will follow this thread with the hope of some form of hope for "everlasting youth", I wish.... I'm sure you know what I mean, face looks fine but arms in a sleeveless top give it all away. To add to my misery the other half is only suffering grey hair... easily sorted but doesn't even bother him.
K.
thanx, that was beautifully put
I have the same problem with my arms. Mainly my forearms and inside of my elbow. It started a couple of years ago and has gotten worse. I am going to see a surgeon. I would rather have a few scars than wrinkled forearms. I can't even wear short sleeves. i wear 3/4 shirts in the summer time. Which is difficult because it does get 100 plus degrees in the summer time.
I am a 65 y/o male and yes I noticed over the past year a change in my skin around the chest and arms a sagging I didn't have a year go. I always kept my weight down and exercise regularly. I've read a number of post here and I see a lot of us are looking for answers. You think by now some one would have come up with a cream or a lotion, you just rub on at night and by the morning the skin would shrink. Haha. No such luck. I also thought of the natives of South America who had a formula for shrinking heads. I believe when they shrink the heads they shrink the skin? How did they do that. What did they use to perform that ritual? I looked it up on Wikipedia and the ingredient is Tannin (extracted from plants) also used in the tanning of hides (thus the name tanning). I guess you can say when they tan hides the skin shrinks. Tannins can be found in many fruits and vegetables. May be those of you who will be talking to your doctor soon can ask him/her about tannins.
Such a good thread, I laughed til I cried sometimes, the arm descriptions ...!  And of course I can relate,  but  I can barely see myself anymore, my vision is so poor, one of life's tender mercies.  ;).  

I  am 54, have always been in great shape, 5'7" 124 lbs, and suddenly I am gaunt and haunted looking, with a crepey neck and withered arms.  I also can't look at my legs in the downward dog pose ... I will tell you what has helped me.  I gained about 5 pounds! And the arms improved by about 75%.  The face still sags, but looks less haunted (boo!).  I did a week of eating smoothies for breakfast and lots of salmon and fruit ... The smoothies were with spinach and fruit ... And for sure I looked tighter.  I cut out wheat and increased proteins, fruits and veggies, with a focus on taking in more fats, healthy fats like fish oils, olive oils, nuts and seeds.  My skin tone and immune system improved.  

Diet helps a lot, so does the inner state.   I find that if I feel well inside I seem to feel better about how I look ... I am working on re-establishing my priorities to be more in sync with this new phase of life.  I mean some of this stuff can be managed, but some of it asks to be made peace with, right?  The thing that is working best for me is just coming to terms with my arrival at this moment, where how my flesh looks can finally take a backseat.  I just can't be bothered to fight an uphill battle.  I will put in some effort, but don't want to lose too much of my precious time or energy looking the wrong way and missing something.  We live in a culture that doesn't really show us how to do this, how to not chase after youth and be okay with that.  But Time flows in one direction, and I want to flow with it and enjoy the ride, not struggle too much trying to fight nature.  So we try to strike a balance ... Do what we can, and make peace with our aging bodies along the way.   Let's have fun with this!  Eat our supplements with a wry grin ... I wish us all success!
I'm 61, drink plenty of water and take bio-identical hormones, have for years. My face looks pretty good, getting jowels pretty bad at this point, neck is awful and my arms are terrible. I live in Arizona now and won't go sleeveless. I have those Bingo arms old ladies get. Another thing that has happened to me is the excess fat around my stomach and waist. I've always had a tiny waist and flat stomach and now I feel disgusting. I'm still in my size 4's and sometimes 6's but have terrible overflow on the waist area. Even larger sizes just make me look like I'm wearing my clothes too large.
I'm now starting to be consistent with some It Works products that I started selling so we'll see what happens. I have the galvanic spa but haven't noticed much difference with it on any area at all. I'm interested in anything that will help. I have started taking this product from It Works that's called New You, supposed to stimulate the HGH in your body. I'll check back in a month or so and let you know how it's going.

Just started taking amino acid growth hormone releasers recently, before bed.
Will see how that goes.  Also started taking organic turmeric along with coconut oil, about a tbslp. of each, along with a sprinkle of black pepper to assist absorption of curcumin which has many anti-aging and health benefits including for skin.  I do that once or twice a day.  And I've started using a sports hula hoop to get rid of the spare tire.  Ten minutes a day is supposed to be effective. Google: "The ten-minute workout that rolled away my spare tyre in six weeks"  Still taking the gelatin and that's paying off for skin and hair. There's so much we can do and I feel it's best to focus on the ways we're improving rather than our perceived flaws.  
Tracyinflorida... STOP the Leviquin!!!  It is an extremely harmful antibiotic.. Do some research on the effects re: your torn ligament DUE to the Leviquin.  Class action law suits are going on right now.
I am a 51 year old female and have been dealing with sagging skin at the elbows for over a year now. I saw a rheumatologist for two other auto-immune diseases that I was diagnosed with last year. He noticed my sagging skin and hyper-mobility of my joints and rattled off a name for this condition. I lost the paperwork. After reading your post, I decided to research it again on the web to see if the name would jump out at me. I believe I was diagnosed with EDS or Ehler's Danlos syndrome. There are several phases of this disease. You may want to research it. I plan on continuing to monitor it myself. Not only does my skin sag at the elbows, but it's itchy, red, and sore. I used to work out 6 days a week, and was in great physical shape up until a year ago when one of my diseases manifested itself, causing me to lose all my energy and strength. Still trying to regain it. Hope this helps provide a little information for you to do additional research.
Does the gelatin make you gain weight?  I think I will try it.  I am 59, and just this year I noticed all of a sudden my wrinkly, sagging arms and my legs (thighs) are getting the rippled effect.  It is scary to see this all of a sudden - I too am very active, do some weight training, yoga, hike, walk and dance.  I am thin and look good for my age, except this skin thing.

No, gelatin doesn't make you gain weight.  Actually, it is said to boost human growth hormone and thus metabolism.  At the same time, since it boosts collagen in the skin, it helps keep skin tight.

I'd also recommend looking into a book that came out in the 70's, Doctor Frank's No Aging Diet by Dr. Benjamin Frank.  This little book is one of the best-kept secrets for good health and youthful appearance.  It's available at Amazon.
I have probably come across this too late in year but I feel the same. I have lost some weight and from a distance look younger, but at 52 the lines, sagging skin and general lack of tone is hard to accept. Glad hubby is not seeing things too well close up
I LOVE THIS POINT OF VIEW !
I am 46, and about a yr ago I noticed I was having the above skin issues too. I did have a BIG stressful life change happen and I saw somewhere that can super charge the "event" of chamge in the skin. A friend of mine shares the same story. I do believe perimenopausal plays into it as well. If y'all find out anything... please share. One thing I found is prenatal vitamins help and I would like to add vitamin E. Exercise and clean eating has been in the works since Dec 2012 as a regular lifestyle choice, so that is well enough too. I, am not going down w/o a fight! I am too young to have skin looking this, despite the sun and fair skin. NOT buying it!
I am 59 and it's my arms which use to be something I was proud of but now they are so wrinkling that I am embarrassed to wear short sleeves.  My face is fine maybe because I have used sunscreen for years but I am baffled what happened to my arms.   Any hints would be appreciated    I want to be sleeveless again
Can't believe I have been following this thread for three years plus, now. And I also cannot believe there hasn't been something invented/discovered/researched yet to help with the problem that really does work. I even wrote 'The Doctors' telling the one who specializes in cosmetic surgery to get a team together to research this problem that is driving us baby-boomers crazy!

But with that said, I want to make a few comments: First, from reading since the beginning, this problem seems to mainly occur to those who state that they have been fit their entire life and/or have been skinny or lost weight when older. To those, I just want to say, put on some weight, for I see fewer women who carry an extra 10+ pounds with the really obvious crepiness and sags, myself included. But besides this, those who were in the sun a lot make the list as well, which really has already taken its toll on our skin, and from what I see, the damage has already been done, myself included.

However, I will add my last comment again, for I written about it before, and really swear by it as I have been uing it since 2007, for te sagging skin and crepiness on the inside crease of my elbows and on my knees.

However, I will add my last comment again, for I written about it before, and really swear by it as I have been uing it since 2007, for the sagging skin and crepiness on the inside crease of my elbows and on my knees, but is not severe. The ingredient that really helps, I think, is DMEA. There was more in this lotion when I first began using it, and the results were better, but using religiously, it is a miracle on my skin. The product is Nourish Skin Tight. It isn't cheap, and it doesn't work for everyone, but it has for me. It took almost ten days for me to see the results when I first began using it,  but now, if I don't use every day, within two days of use, my arm looks great.
From me! Please read the next one as I didn't know I posted this twice! I thought I had gone back and corrected errors and finished the original post, but Flying fingers on a tiny android did me in. However, I want to add that I am in Europe for 5 months and first, 5 bottles of this lotion are with me, and second, there doesn't seem to be a 'cure' for it here, but I see far less older women with this problem. Grrr
I am a 60 year old woman, at the top of the weight for an average BMI, had weight fluctuations of 5-8 lbs over the course of the last ten years, in a gradual way, but mostly maintained a constant weight.  Pilates 2x per week for a decade. Had a very late menopause.  And that's when I started seeing the crepey skin on my arms, upper thighs, neck.  Using a derm roller and moisturizer with vitamin C, which lessens the look for a short while.  Drinking plenty of water and eating blueberries every day for most of my adult life.  What I notice is that we all have aging beauty issues.  For some, it is loss of hair, or heavy eyelids, or darkness under our eyes.  It can be sagging breasts or cellulite or ugly toe nails.  For many it is the theme of this community discussion. The list is endless, but from my experience with my friends, not everything falls apart, but something does to each of us.  So long as we try to be our best and are thankful for our health and happiness,  our best features will shine through.
Good point that we all have our aging issues with regard to appearance, WisdomWarrior.  On the other hand,  we all had acne and/or other issues in our teen years. Maybe there are people who never in their life had any beauty issues.  I'm not one of them.   A positive aspect of these problems is that they can get us looking for ways to overcome them and in doing so, it raises our overall quality of life.  I believe that is their higher purpose.

Something I've been looking into lately that might be a missing piece of this aging puzzle, is high quality unrefined salt.  When I consulted an herbalist some months ago, she was insistent that I take salt in water first thing when I get up.  Any amount up to a teaspoon.  I didn't like the idea and reasoned that  the salt I put on food should be enough.  Over the winter I got a terrible cold that went on for a few weeks.  This is rare for me, I usually never get colds or any other illness.  After I got better,  I still was bothered by congestion.  I remembered what the herbalist and others have said about the importance of good salt.  I started taking a half tsp. in a half cup warm water in the A.M.,  and following it up with 16 oz.  filtered water.  I felt better right away.  Looking into this it seems one of the main benefits of salt in water is that it helps keep us hydrated.  We can drink a lot of water but without salt, it just goes right through us.  The salt helps us hold water in our bodies where it's needed.  It stands to reason that this would help with keeping skin hydrated, and thus,  soft, smooth and elastic.  

By the way, I don't drink a lot of salt.  I don't buy the "8 glasses a day" dogma.  I do drink herbal tea and white tea.  I learned green and white tea hydrates the body as well as plain water, despite the small amount of caffeine.  And they have a lot of skin benefits.  

"By the way, I don't drink a lot of salt."

Sigh, wish there was an edit function for comments.

I meant to write,  I don't drink a lot of water.  I also don't drink a lot of salt. Just a bit in the mornings. :)
Hello, I found this thread looking for something that might clue me in to my alligator skin on my arms, wrinkling and just looking like 100 years. old.  This started immediately after I took CIPRO (flouroquinolone), which is just like Levaquin. I noticed you also took this. I had a huge problem with bodywide tendonosis and CNS/PNS with Cipro. I am now 59 and my skin looks way worse than my 99 year old grandmothers did. Mostly on the arms and back of hands. Now it is getting that way on the thighs.
HI. I read your post about the waist area. I did the Cool Sculpting machine at a cosmetic doctor in Tampa that does every kind of beauty procedure. All you need is money.

However, the Cool Sculpting really worked for my waist area. It ***** on to your body (I did it once between bust and belly button and once below the belly button) and stays on for an hour. It freezes fat cells and your body eliminates those cells (through urine). It takes about 4-6 weeks, but it WORKS. Cost is about $800 per session and there is a little pain, like menstral cramps (on the below the belly button session). The one above didn't hurt me at all.

One more thing, I hear there is a new procedure, even less invasive. It uses heat and a laser and you have to have one treatment per week for four weeks. Suppose to take at least 2 inches off all the way around. I don't know how much $$$, but NOTHING worked for me in this area. I think it was menopause…

Good luck and don't give up!
Janet
58, 5'7, 145lbs, elephant skin. Big sunbather in my youth. Someone mentioned genetics and I remember my French/Spanish grandmother at around 60 with skin just like mine and it got worse and worse as she aged. As a young kid, I was surprised at how horrible it looked. Great. I'm using ROC deep wrinkle cream with retinol (for the past month) and see a slight improvement on my arms/legs, but not enough to justify the cost of this face treatment for the body. Thanks for the tips about gelatin, iodine, salt, vitamin C and lots of water. I eat well, work out and avoid sugar… that's about all I can do. Thanks to the women who wrote that we're all basically in the same boat and that maybe some of this is just about grace and acceptance. Bummer!
I am out of bed at 2.45 am so worried about the look of my arms that I got up to look on the internet - as a lot of you said, its so sudden - one day  you look in the mirror and you think it can't be your arms or other parts of your body you don't recognise !    so glad other women feeling like me - so helpful when you feel the person you were just disappeared and you are this older woman that you don't recognise.  this site is so supportive and making me feel so much better about myself at 67.  I always wear everything with sleeves - even my nighties.  I am constantly looking in shops for anything with a sleeve - this is an expensive problem as I tend to be buying everything that has a sleeve !!    I guess our grandmothers accepted all these problems as they were old at 60 (mine was) .. and there were no solutions or internet to help so they just accepted it.  what gets me is that some of my same age girlfriends have firm arms - why is it me that has floppy arms I ask myself when they can still wear sleeveless tops and wear swimmers ??   thank you ladies - I can go back to bed and hopefully stop panicking !!
was just thinking (after I posted my first post last night at 2.45 am (Australia)) ... about a 67 girlfriend that I have known forever.  I was taking a photo of her the other day and she said "I hate having photos taken now because of my saggy neck' ... well, I had never noticed her saggy neck - but she was so paranoid about it.   I guess we all think our bad bits are so noticeable.  also - do any of you buy those 'crocheted' cotton tops in flowery designs from most dress shops - about $25 each - they hide so much.   I have 5 ... I can have the air come through the 'holes' and yet they cover arms.   what a blessing they are.  
Hi Ms Daisyee,

For your face have you tried simple Retin A? Any Med Spa or dermatologist can give it to you.

I started with .05% every other day on my face & neck after my evening cleansing routine (only in evenings due to the affects it has on sun sensitivity) and then use a exfoliating scrub once a week.  Then moisturize mosturize mosturize morning and night, it does wonders! You will still have wrinkles but they are less noticable and people will say your skin "glows".

Once your skin gets used to the .05% you can bump up to the .1% or if it is too strong (it was for me) keep up with the .05% and use it every evening.

A tube of .05% will run you about $50-$75 but it will last a month or two depending on how much you use it.  A small bit each night goes along way, use a very thin layer.

If you go this route make sure to use 50 broad spectrum sunscreen and I add a hat & neck scarf during the really sunny days.  The sun is an enemy to menopausal skin, breaks down the tissue and collagen.

Good luck!
Jackie
I haven't written on this board forever (probably because the weather was cooler and covering my arms was pretty easy).  Here we go again, Spring and Summer; and the daily problem of covering my arms by wearing sleeves (but trying very hard to not appear that I am TRYING to cover my arms).  I do love the little crochet tops, but even they make me feel quite warm.  

My 60 year old best friend, with firm arms, just visited and was sleeveless the whole time.  I can see just the beginning of "softening" to her arms, but it will be YEARS before she catches up to me (and by then, mine will look so much worse).  She always wants to go clothing shopping with me, which I hate, because I am always worried that she will pick out sleeveless sun dresses and tops for me to try on.  I know I should just mention my saggy arms to her and get it "out in the open", but am trying not to draw attention to it (silly, I know).  That being said, I think she is a bit self-conscious about her neck (one area I am NOT concerned about)...I have been rationalizing this in my mind; at least I can try to cover my arms...it would be really hard to cover an entire neck!

Sorry I have absolutely NOTHING constructive or helpful to offer; I just wanted to vent and let others know that I completely understand what you may be going through.
add me to the list. holy moley. i started reading every comment & then realized how many there are!

i'm 40. i lost 60 pounds 4 years ago. but it seems like only now, suddenly, all the skin of my body - least of all my face, however (i still have acne) - has turned to CREPE PAPER! my hair is falling out as well. also, over the last 6 months i've gotten back to my intense college exercise routine, but my body hasn't improved much at all! i've been humbled by this, & am learning to just appreciate the mental benefits of exercise.

here's what i'm doing: CASTOR OIL. i started with apricot seed oil from the health food store, & as they only had 1 bottle, i picked up the castor oil beside it as well. i had no idea how thick & viscous is castor oil - it's like motor oil!  the trick is, like i learned with using apricot oil, to not use a towel after bathing, & just apply the oil over wet skin, & patiently do everything else in my routine - dry my hair, clip my nails, do my makeup, etc.- while it's soaking in. the apricot oil absorbs quickly, but castor oil takes forever. i get dressed with the oil still on my skin. it takes a while for the skin to adjust to this oil-only routine, & then the skin repairs somewhat & absorbs it better. i don't know how to explain this, maybe there is a plumping of the skin that soaks up more oil over time, i don't know. i've used the apricot oil since this happened a few months ago, & i've only been using the castor oil for a week or so & hope my skin will repair more & absorb it better. i've added it to all the lotion i have around the house, too.  

i'll probably also get some pure coconut oil from the health food store & use that after shower.  also, it's possible the best method is to rinse off the excess castor oil after applying it, & then pat dry with a towel. also i'm exfoliating more, i get the cheapest exfoliant in a big tub - imitation st. ives from walmart. i soak in the tub to soften my skin, then pat dry a bit, not all the way, & scrub scrub scrub. after this treatment, my skin absorbs oil better & feels really nice & slick.

i feel like i need to take a month long vacation where i can be naked & oily & just roll around in sand & drink mango juice or something!

i think i've got to hydrate more & get more vitamin E & A, too.  

as far as my hair, i think it's breaking rather than falling out. a brand called 'shea moisture - established 1912' from sierra leone, sold at walmart in the section for african american hair, works very well on my very caucasian old-lady hair - i have retired the hair brush & just scrunch the 'curl enhancing smoothie' into my hair. similar to my skin, my hair will seem very oily at first, but by the next day, it looks shiny & healthy. i suspect a periodic spray of skin & hair with oil-infused water may also help.

best of luck!
quote: "You think by now some one would have come up with a cream or a lotion, you just rub on at night and by the morning the skin would shrink. Haha. No such luck. I also thought of the natives of South America who had a formula for shrinking heads. I believe when they shrink the heads they shrink the skin? How did they do that. What did they use to perform that ritual? I looked it up on Wikipedia and the ingredient is Tannin (extracted from plants) also used in the tanning of hides (thus the name tanning). I guess you can say when they tan hides the skin shrinks. Tannins can be found in many fruits and vegetables. May be those of you who will be talking to your doctor soon can ask him/her about tannins."

---i commend you, sir, for the most ingenious suggestion of an aging skin remedy i've ever come across. i wonder what my doctor will say when i ask her how the skin of shrunken heads was tightened. send me to the 'head shrinker' for sure, lol!
what to do....I have always been in shape...and always on the thin side..i am  55 yrs old and have stayed at 98lbs from the ages of 40 to 53---which is thinner than I was in my 20's and 30's...which was 110-120...also I am 5'3in..and even though thinner at 45-50 yrs old my skin was not bad--showing some signs from the sun---WHICH I am--always have been a sunalohic.....3 years ago I had some teeth pulled dropped down to 93 and noticed my legs almost immediately looked like they aged 15 years.....I also went though menopause at 41-43 yrs of age...I have always enjoyed my cocktails ---  wine at night daily----oh well....I have also been a "SURVIVOR""--not important to get into all that--except for the reason I drink daily--became just habit...like wine in Italy......I love sitting out in the sun with my music in ears so-o-o-o-o-o- much..it is my drug of choice --always was...I just can't imagine not basking this year--for I have fought depression and anxiety all my life....I am well...don't get me wrong..i am a very upbeat person--considering all the crap that I've had to go though--not of my own making....like I said I am very upbeat---esp. this time of year--living in the state of ny...summers's are heaven on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  any suggestions would be welcome...can't afford "Roc" on my body....but do use it on my face..along with oaly serum...my face is 2o yrs younger than my arm and legs....  I know my arms and legs are sun wrecked--but..ta know...my stomach(which I have never put in the sun--since I was 13...is looking the same sagginess..)...oh yeah...also...I was a vitamin/mineral alcoholic as well...up until 3 yrs ago....I stopped ..just to see if I was pissing it away--like my doc said...well...my blood work didn't change...it was still good...so.. I stopped taking my vitamin regimine...which consisted of about 25 pills(which I have done since I was 25 or so...I just started back just within the past month  on some.....amino acid complex..copper..omegas..magnesium..and vitamin d and e....whoever mentioned the statement of their legs looking like loose panty hose--was so funny--I think of it and say it when appropriate---humor is a wonderful thing.....thanks...

Dr. Murad's Water Principle is worth checking out.  Joan Lunden has a good page about his work at her site.  Her photos seem to show it's working for her.  Search Joan Lunden Water Principle.  It will be the first hit.  
I was on prednisone for 6 months and IV antibiotics several times last year. I noticed my skin wrinkling in the hospital and mentioned it to the nurse and she said it would go away. It has not, if anything it has gotten worse. I am convinced it is a result of the meds. I have aged greatly in a few months and nothing seems to reverse it. I think this is a little known side-effect that no one is talking about.

Have you tried detoxing? curezone is a good resource with a lot of support.
Check out Dr. Schulze's Liver Detox.  If you detox the meds, this should kickstart the reversal of aging.
Sorry to say but you don't have very good reviews Dr Abraham!!

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.
Hi Lisa,
At 111 lbs, you're pretty thin, and that'll leave middle aged skin hanging.  I'm your same height, but have always worked out and weight 138.  I'm not fat, but not skinny either.  I wear size 6 or 8 pants and am fairly muscular, which helps to support all that looser skin in the same way that youthful fat pads and natural collagen used to.  I'd be super weak and lightheaded if I weighed less than 135, but you may have smaller bones and probably less muscle mass than I do.  But still...  I'd say gain a little weight and love the body you live in.  I miss being young, but I won't stop laughing and living because my body is changing with age.  Screw the media and what it makes us think we should be...  We're real and normal and human---not products of PhotoShop.  Just my opinion...
Hi your article is very informative...I have a question, I am lactose intolerant, can lactaide milk give the same results as whole milk?

I've been taking maca root powder and I believe it's helping my skin.  Was just reading an article that goes into the skin benefits of macs.  It can also be incorporated into facial masks.   To read the article, just Google "organic macs powder for amazing skin."

Maca balances hormones naturally (it's an adaptogenic herb) thus is very valuable for us folks "of a certain age." :)
Hi Lisa, not sure if you have sorted out your problem yet, I know many of us women suffer from this.  Mine only appeared 3 months ago and at 46 was mortified as I was in fantastic shape with my body uptil then...it happened over night.  On a positive note they are now a heck of a lot better but it has been a long slog over the last couple of months.  I do 25 press ups and tricep dips every morning and do kettlebell arm raises.  A good one is extend your arms out to the side of you horizontal with your chin line and point thumbs downwards, rotate in circular movements for the count of 100.  This all combined with regular exfoliation and cream does improve the appearance.
good luck :)
My arms have deteriorated alot, especially in the wrist area, lots of deep lines on the out part of the foremarm.. all appearing in a matter of weeks in my last year of my forties.  I've also lost alot of volume from the top of my thighs which have caused alot of wrinkling to the tops of my thighs.  My days of being undressed in front of anyone are over. My teeth also look like crap.
My body fell apart after an unwarranted hysterectomy. I still cannot believe how FAST I aged and I am still angry at my (former) long-time gynecologist. The loss of subcutaneous fat, collagen, and muscle mass caused horrible sagging, crepey skin and prominent veins. I developed that puckered/pinched lips appearance and marionette lines and jowls. I have been avoiding people like the plague.

Please look into maca powder.  It has a plethora of benefits for anti-aging, and in women who have had hysterectomies, enables the adrenals to make sufficient hormones.  

Also try face exercises to help facial rejuvenation.  They work!
I have been very saggy and creepey since menopause ( 3 yrs ago ), I used to hike for hours and hours and had super tight skin, but after a year of very little walking, all of a sudden BAM, wrinkley, creepey skin on legs and arms and chest !!  No one has mentioned chest !!  If I apply a ton of lotion its better for a bit, but just temporary.  I am 5'5", 103 lb, 51 yrs old, Vegan, and a sun-worshipper....(( can never stop...lol )).  Thank you for this forum... I am not alone.....  does anyone have this skin on chest too ??  best to all

I wonder how many with these issues are eating much fish or getting enough healthy fats.  A couple of quotes from Dr. Nicholas Perricone:

“If women understood that eating a simple can of sardines or salmon would give their hair and skin an unrivaled radiance, softness, and suppleness — like nothing else in this world — these foods would fly off the supermarket shelves. You would see a stampede toward the fish aisle.”

“Dry skin is actually a manifestation of chronic subclinical (invisible to the eye) inflammation. Make sure that you have adequate intake of healthy fats, such as those found in fish, fish oil, and extra virgin olive oil. While topicals can do wonders [for dry skin] it is critically important to not forget the dietary component, which can both cause and worsen all of these conditions.”
OLIVE OIL ladies 3 big spoonfuls a day. After shower rub extra virgin olive oil on skin too. You dont see mediterranean women with this problem because of their diet. I am 53 and started noticing crepey skin at 50, started using evo and now its virtually nonexistent. Good luck.

Cool!
Sophia Loren talks about olive oil as her main beauty aid.

http://thepassionateolive.com/wp/an-elixir-for-anti-aging/

The forever-lovely Sophia Loren is enamored with olive oil and takes two tablespoons everyday. When over 1500 people were recently asked to rate the world’s most naturally beautiful celebrities, the winner was 75-year-old Sofia Loren. She shared one of her timeless beauty secrets: “the odd olive oil bath.” In fact, Sophia’s beauty is so legendary in Italy that it has prompted the Archbishop of Genoa to observe, that although the Vatican is opposed to human cloning, “an exception might be made in the case of Sophia Loren.”

When Jeanne Calment, a French woman, who held the record for the longest confirmed lifespan, died at the age of 122, she reportedly attributed her long life remarkably youthful appearance to olive oil. She liberally poured olive oil on her food and rubbed into her skin.
What a great find, very interesting read, just goes to show these old wives tales stay around for centuries because they work. I love evo, its been so good for my skin and hair and best of all its cheap and not full of awful chemicals.
Thanks everyone for the comments. I see I am not the only one.

I love it too! Both for eating and topical use.  Yes, it's a great hair oil as well.  Every so often I have to douse my hair in EVOO for a few hours and then wash out. Really works as a deep conditioner! I often mix it with an equal amount of  cayenne pepper for that purpose.  Cayenne stimulates the scalp and seems to make it easier to wash out the oil.  Got to be careful to keep it out of eyes when shampooing! :)
I saw your comment about meds and wondered if that could be the cause of my rapid aging. I have been on Cell Cept for a few years for Myasthenia Gravis. I have seriously aged so much in the last few months and it's very depressing. I am also going through Menopause. I have been trying everything and going to Cosmetic Dermatology next month to see what they have to say.

Hi Christy! Very sorry to hear your experience with the med.  It sounds like it would be best to get off it,  although of course you shouldn't stop cold turkey. Hope you will discuss this with your doctor.  There are alternative approaches to myasthenia gravis.  You might check out the info at Earth Clinic, curezone, and Dr. Weil's site.   He recommends a dietary approach (anti-inflammatory diet, which = anti-aging).  Good luck!!
this is regarded as a highly effective soothing agent that is capable of eliminating the skin problems such as skin care products.  
Viewing 401-501 comments: