Sudden onset of skin wrinkling and sagging in arms
Hi all. New to this. I am a 44 year old woman who is physically fit (gym 5 days a week) and eats pretty well.

Approx 5 weeks ago I developed veins showing on both hands. They have not gone away and infact they are bulging most times, and I can "feel them". They have increased and I can see some starting to climb up my forearm now. Before this, my veins barely ever showed.

Approx 2 weeks ago, I developed wrinkling (crepe paper look) on my forearms (near connection of elbow) and on my upper arms. My arms have gone from 44 years old to looking like those of a 60 year old woman.

Approx 5 days ago my skin started sagging and I have now developed that "flap" by my triceps. My arms have always been my pride and joy..I work so hard at them, and they have been so tone,..now they look flabby and sagging with wrinkles.
I am in a panic. Have a doctors appointment for Friday.

Yes, I am fair, Yes, I have been sunburnt many times over the years. My mother had wrinkles also, but to have this come on so very sudden, I don't know what to think.

As far as periomenopause, it sounds like this shouldn't happen so suddenly and usually the elasticity is after menopause. I don't have any symptoms yet, except for my period being early once in a while.

I am 44 years old, and have gone, in 2 weeks, from having 44 year old skin to skin of a 60 year old. Could someone please help? I'm very distressed.

Oh, and definitely look into MSM.  It's organic sulfur and has tremendous benefits for health, including skin and hair.  There is a very informative thread about it at the EDS Skin Care Forums, titled: "MSM - I lost body fat & tighter skin - anyone else too?"
My first comment is find a reputable laser person. I am the biggest fan of laser treatment on the planet:). I am 64 look about 45 and although part of that is a result of good genes the rest a result of great laser work. I was the first in my clinic's clients to have thermage and it was disappointing to me and very expensive. I just completed my third thermage and the results after a week are noticeable. I will soon have my tummy fat lasered. My goal is to do whatever I can to maintain me without allowing someone to cut me up.

Again do your homework. Laser works but you need to find the right doc.
I sure hope that is a genuine testimonial from you strangeframes, and I hope anyone considering laser treatment will investigate the very real complications that frequently occur. Google: Cosmetic IPL and Laser Danage.
Here I am several months later.  I've had to learn how to deal with my arms;  I do it mainly by covering up.  I am trying little else.  Although I do have to wonder if regular exfoliating in the arm area would build collogen under the skin and fill the area in.  Also with age, everything seems to shrink, so here we are left with a saggy casing where plumped up skin and peak muscle & thicker bone use to be.   Also as we age, our bodies don't hold unto water like it use to, so we beome a bit shrivelled.   Maybe it's a hormonal thing, not sure?  I am more concerned about my wrinkled face. although any body part is a concern..  My arms I can hide from the world but I can't hide my face.  Maybe in time I will learn to deal with a lined face as well.
I feel like you read my mind. I hate looking at myself in the mirror! It is as if I was younger looking yesterday & BAM I lost it today.  Aging is not for the squeamish. I feel sick..lol
For the brave (and unconventional):  Google "rejuvenation urine therapy"
secret genetic/ proteome, or phenome, warfare or 'management' on targeted groups.  not menopause or natural aging.  induced aging.  worser case scenario a complete malicious hack job.  less worser scenario, more complex to put in these margins, updates were done previously that are now incompatible with current roadmap.  probably former.  notice a specific group of ppl are not having these problems suddenly and are with non wrinkled elastic skin well into 80s.  in fact their skin is getting better in age and while some of them do have natural genetics for this surely they are still being amended.  in the least likely scenario, where there is no malice or even passive we cannot bring everyone into the future effect, but are actually with model that intends improve all but naturally with some casualties that are consequential, it could be done differently.

Could you elaborate?  How do you think people are being targeted, and how
is it possible to "induce aging"?  Sounds a bit sci-fi to me, but I'm intrigued.

Thanks.
I think some signs of sagging and aging of the skin does have to do with genes.  Some are just lucky or so it seems.  My mom was 81 when she passed and her skin was less lined and more youthful than mine,   My father also had youthful skin, yet I am so lined and saggy in places that at times I want to hide.  I kept my youthful look up until about age 57-58.  At that age I was still mistaken for several years younger than my actual age, Then came 59 and I started to droop more, like everywhere, but I still looked like me, but aging was very rapid after I hit 60.  The last 2 years I really aged, seriously when I look into the mirror at times I say hey, that can't be me, but it is.  On the humerous side, my arms have taken on the look of matchsticks, my underarms flop unless I work hard on keeping them toned.   My knees look like loose panty hose.  My butt and hips are hanging lower these days, if they get any lower, then they will join the area where my knees use to be. My breasts hang about 4" lower than they use to be, if they keep that up, they will be where my hips use to be...ha ha. Seems now like my ears are getting bigger, but I think that's because my face has shrunk..  
Some days I cry, and some days I laugh at myself.
Oh, by the way I've alway's been a thin person. How can a thin person sag and get wrinkles?, well, yes they can. They can even look worse than some one who has some padding under their skin.  I have way more lines on my skin than my plumper friends.  Last summer I was sick and lost more weight,  My under arms were like sails, loose paper thin skin with no filling.  My thighs turned the same, loose and took on the appearance of  crepe paper.  That has since reversed on my thighs but need to still work on my arms..   Now I am trying to put back all of the weight I lost and then add a few.  I will let you all know if putting on weight can reverse some of the sag and lines on the body as a whole.. You all have a good day.
Again, lecithin and other foods and supplements have skin-plumping effects.  
I've been reading about the "youthing" effects of bee pollen and am resolved to ingest it regularly and make a topical cream.  Do a search:  "Bee Pollen For Skin Health."
I am 58 years old and can't believe how fast my skin went from firm to sagging especially my arms and if I am in the yoga position "Downward Dog" -- I can't bear to look at my legs.  And I was a personal trainer who was in great shape until menopause.  

Part of the reason is my weight.  When I was in my 20's, if I LOOKED at a carton of Ben & Jerry's I gained weight.  Now I am 5'8" and 111 pounds and I have to TRY and stay at this weight.  The problem for me is that my stomach did shrink and if I eat one bite too many, I become nauseous.  I need to put on weight not only to fill out my body but because being underweight has sapped all my energy.  And I have to confess that I have not worked out in a while because between the effects of menopause [zero estrogen, zero testosterone and neither Estradiol nor Androgel agreed with me] and my lack of energy...I lost my motivation.  

I have had fillers [Perlane and Juviderm] in the naso-labial folds and Botox so my face is not my problem; my body is.  I don't want to resort to cosmetic surgery on my body so my question is:  has anyone found an exercise program out there that works on sagging and loose skin?   This isn't a problem I had to address previously because it seemed like it happened so quickly and I don't want to do the same DVD's I have been doing if it doesn't address the problem.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts [and am glad to know that I am not the only one out there dismayed at the changes in their body] and would love to hear any suggestions.

Wondering how many here are coffee drinkers.  It's pro-aging according to D. Perricone:
http://www.dailyperricone.com/2010/03/cortisol-the-death-hormone/

I've cut it out mostly.  Once in a while I'll add a little to hot chocolate.  Nice!
I found the comments about certain antibiotics and also neck injury as possible culprits for sudden onset of wrinkled, crepe-like skin.  I had to take a lot of Flagyl recently and also had a car accident with neck injuries.  The skin on my right arm is much worse than my left. What is interesting about this is that my injuries and pain is much worse on my right arm than my left and the crepe skin and wrinkles appear in the areas where I have the most pain. I am going to show this to my doctor at my next appointment.  My injuries are at C5, C6 and C7 and involve the narrowing of the spinal canal.
Well it happened to me it seemed all of a sudden, old lady arms , yuk, then I came here and read about the oil swishing, and I think that has really made a difference. I have also been on a cleanse, something to clean out your gut, some cleanse i got off Dr oz, I haven't gone crazy, i have a sweet tooth, i never will, taking vitamins, working out a little. When i would bend over the skin on my arms looked like it wanted to come off my body, i cant believe the improvement , I'm waiting for some maca powder, and magnesium oil cant wait to see if that helps. Try natural things before you go to the doc , Good luck, Oil swishing is good for you no matter what, good oral health, leads to general good health, now I'm done thank you very much

Glad you discovered oil pulling and are experiencing such benefits!  I've been doing it long-term and I'll never stop.  There's an oil pulling forum at curezone, it's full of testimonials for oral and whole body health benefits, including skin.
You'll be glad you ordered the magnesium oil and the maca powder. Definitely try the natural approach first of all, and diet is #1.  We have a lot of options, we just need to stay open to them.  Seek and ye shall find!
I take magnesium tablets every day:  I guess it would be the same as oil.
Also I have started using Macadamia nut oil on my face and hands, I have sensitive skin....  But I was told about DMAE ....  do you know much about this cream.... I have noticed I have horrible crepe skin inside my arms, just over the last 6 months.... I am on blood pressure tablets only.
I also take a teaspoon of flaxseed meal in my shake in the mornings...
I always like to try the natural way 1st... Thanks for the information site.

Cheers Amelia
I'd recommend using the magnesium oil as well as taking the tablets.  Magnesium is supposed to be better absorbed through the skin.  I've heard about DMAE cream, haven't tried it, I might do so.  I know Dr. Perricone promotes it.

Another thing I'd recommend is taking unflavored gelatin.  It gives a big boost to collagen.  It's been called "the latest anti-aging miracle."  
Gelatin = collagen, and it stimulates our bodies to lay down more collagen in our skin, bones, tendons and muscles.  All it takes is one or two tablespoons a day.  I put it in tea and sometimes make sugar-free jello sweetened with fruit juice.  Great Lakes gelatin is a good brand, but Knox will do!
I'm a coffee drinker. Thanks for the link. I love Dr Perricone

Welcome.  Recently I tried an organic freeze-dried instant coffee, making it with milk,mixing it with cacao powder and sweetened with xylitol and organic honey. It was nice. I'll have that just once in a while, otherwise, no coffee for me.  

Just read a debate on whether coffee is healthful, at Huffington Post, between Dr. Mark Hyman and Dr. Patricia Fitzgerald.  Cast your vote! :)
I just turned 49 in May, I want to add a couple years ago I not only had to be on iV leviquan/but cipro twice. I have had nothing but trouble this year. I think my arms have aged 20 years in the last 3 months no exageration,im also a size 3 and avid gym rat,vegetarian over 25 years. I feel so old,tired,and dehydrated alot. My moods are horrible,and periods a constant disaster. I have had a torn calf muscle,and a severe torn chest muscle that required an er.visit/and im still sore two months later. I cannot work out at all,and everything is turning to sag. Im still thin,but look very drawn,life is depressing.

A couple more pieces of the aging puzzle:  iodine deficiency and salt deficiency.  Anyone concerned with their health and youthfulness needs to read up on iodine.  There is an epidemic of iodine deficiency and this causes many problems.  Lynne Farrow's book The Iodine Crisis is a good source, but there's a ton of info online. Google "iodine deficiency symptoms."  Dry skin is one of the symptoms.  Improved skin texture is frequently noted in those taking iodine. The iodine researcher Dr. Guy Abraham reports:

"We placed an 83-year-old woman on orthoiodosupplementation [ Iodine therapy] for six months at 50 mgs of elemental iodine daily. She experienced a tremendous increase in energy, endurance, well being, and memory. At six
months all her skin peeled off and was replaced by new, younger-looking skin.
She was flabbergasted and amazed at her new appearance.”
-- Guy Abraham,
MD, Endocrinologist

Other benefits include improved memory, absence of ‘brain fog,’ and regular bowel movements in those who were constipated.

Now as to salt - I'm referring to healthful salt such as Redmond brand Real Salt, not ordinary table salt.  It helps skin, among other benefits. Google:
Can Eating the RIGHT Kind of Salt Really Make You Beautiful?

I started eating cereal again with WHOLE fat milk and have been doing it for six months.  I never expected the protein and milk fat would make my upper arms fill in with a more muscular appearance..I'm 67, slender, fit and have been hesitant to wear anything less than 3/4 sleeves; now, I'm rethinking that.

It doesn't improve overnight, but I googled milk as a protein for body-building..here's what I found...

WHOLE MILK

WHY? Full-fat milk can help combat the reduction in muscle mass associated with getting older, especially after the age of 50.
THE EVIDENCE: A 2006 study found that drinking full-fat milk after exercise helped ensure that muscle mass was enhanced.
Whole milk contains 118mg of calcium per 100ml, which is essential for bone health as well as assisting blood-clotting.
The daily recommended intake of calcium is about 1,000mg for men and 1,200mg for women. Eating green vegetables, nuts and seeds in addition to whole milk is an effective way to achieve this.
HOW TO EAT: Whole milk can be added to porridge, cereals, tea, coffee and smoothies. Get professional advice before taking a calcium supplement – for example, taking too much can increase prostate cancer risk in men.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2224005/The-8-foods-40-eat-Diet-essentials-40-plus-club.html#ixzz2ZeBZE2jv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Thanks for the enlightment about whole milk, think I'll give it a try since I need to gain a few pounds any way and God only knows I could use the protein. Though, let me add that as we get older, some of us lack the enzyme to digest diary, but one can buy a dairy digestive product containing lactate which will help to digest milk products.
I am very happy to have stumbled upon these posts, and have just spent a very long time reading them from over the past 3 years.  I am about to turn 52, and over the past two years I have been watching my arms literally wrinkle in front of my eyes.  I exercise regularly and, for the most part, can live with the rest of my body (well, okay, my knees are starting to bother me a bit also).  But my arms look like those of an 80 year-old woman.  And it has happened so suddenly, and so quickly, I just don't understand it.  I have been going through menopause, and I also have lived in Florida for the past 25 years and have had my share of the sun. But the rest of my body, as I stated, is holding up pretty well.  

I have also been severely depressed (like so many of you who have posted) and do not want to wear anything showing my arms, but that is very difficult in the 90+ degree temps here in Florida.  I have a great group of close friends my age, and I find myself comparing my arms to theirs when we're together - and they look so much better...I just feel like crying :(  

I am desperate for advice and would love to know what has worked the best for those of you out there who are suffering like myself.  I am planning to do more research on iodine deficiency and some of the other suggestions I have read throughout these posts...but would very much appreciate any other current advice/suggestions you may have.  Other than my terribly wrinkled arms, I physically feel like a much-younger person who thrives on being active, exercising and enjoying life.  

I plan to watch for posts, and thanks for any comments/advice!    
I feel like I could have written your post.  I am 52, live in FL, 5'4 weigh 115 lbs, and try to stay in shape but my arms look like I am at least 80.  Now I notice the inside of my thighs are doing the same thing!  Do you think it is just genetics and there is nothing we can do?  I am getting very self conscious when wearing a bathing suit and this is new to me, I hate it.  There has to be something that will at least improve it.

I'm wondering if medication might have something to do with the rapid aging.
I'd be interested to know what meds people are on who are experiencing this.
Meds can have nasty side effects.

Checking back in to see if anyone has come up with a miracle. Looks like a big fat NO. Last dermatologist I went to see said without me even asking that I was experiencing the loss of elastin in skin. Add to that Florida, blue eyes, blond, way too much sugar most of life. Also two courses of Cipro after foot surgery which didn't help the skin any,for sure.I have been fit and trim my whole life. Now at 61 with arms of an 80 year old granny, and been this way starting at age 57. Did the amino acids, trying to raise natural levels of human growth hormone. Went up a whopping 3 points, and this with increased exercise, like riding my mountain bike like a crazed woman. I believe we are suffering from a combination of many things exacerbated by our inherited genetic makeup. I have spent hours(more like days) trolling the internet for answers. Any exterior treatments seems to focus only on the face with these tiny bottles of expensive ointments. I do believe Vit. C heavy doses do help some what, esp. those of us who bruise easy. More protein too. But the biggest thing is not to excessively focus on this new obstacle in our life. It ain't easy. Exercise improves the mental outlook and still does some improvement on muscle tone. Those women over there without the granny arms and legs-guess what? They got other problems we might not be in a hurry to trade for. Any of you with extra money and a willing doctor might try the HGH protocol. My doctor says it works wonders, but the FDA can make it a nightmare for doctors to prescribe. A trip to Mexico might be in order but now this fix gets pricey. I suspect most of us here are not that well off. Chin up, ladies. We will survive this, too.

Definitely get off sugar.  You can still have sweet treats in moderation, made with xylitol, stevia and raw honey.

I'd like to toot the gelatin horn again.  Powdered gelatin = collagen, and it stimulates collagen production in our bodies when we imbibe it. It can help our joints, bones, teeth and hair as well as skin.  It boosts metabolism and is thought to increase HGH.  Who needs to pay for expensive HGH treatments? As well as taking powdered gelatin in juice, tea, smoothies etc.,  we can also make bone broth, rich in nutrients including gelatin.

Many of us are estrogen dominant, and this is pro-aging. Gelatin has anti-estrogenic effects.

It also helps us to sleep well.  I take a couple of tablespoons of gelatin a day, and the second dose is in camomile tea right before bed.  It works. :-)

Also try inversion therapy.  The headstand is ideal, but we can also benefit from an inversion table, or simply lying on our back with our legs up against a tree or other support.  The benefits are multitudinous.  Google "inversion therapy benefits."

However, best not to do inversions if one is very overweight or has high blood pressure.
What is laser do for tummy fat?
I got on this forum to find a way to tighten my creppy arms & thighs.  My legs look like an elephant just above my knee because so much saggy skin just hangs there in wrinkles.  Was disappointed to see few remedies on this forum.  I carried 25 extra lbs on & off (yoyo diets kept it off a l lot) from 45 -62 but never had saggy skin.  Then @ 62 overnight it was evident like hanging above my elbow & knee when I lost only 10 lbs.  I'm 5'4" & had sexy arms into my mid 50s,  The they got fatter by not saggy.  Then I lost some fat & the sags jumped on me @ 62.  IT *****!!!  
I plan on getting back in the gym, looking into iodine therapy.  Something I have just begun to research is how to create HGH naturally.  I got an IT band injury when I did high intensity interval training without first stretching but am ready to tackle it again.  You must have a good diet combined with High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  HIIT means pushing your muscles to complete exhaustion for 30 seconds or so then recover for 90 seconds but it's only 2 - 3 days per week & only for 12 - 15 minutes so very doable on a busy, hectic schedule.  Other days you exercise normally.  My problem is partly lack of exercise as my schedule got busier during my 60s.  Google Mercola High Intensity Interval Training for details.  I plan to post again in a couple of months to reveal if it helps. I'm even taking pictures so my opinions will be more objective but can't post pics here I guess. I was embarrassed to be seen in sleeveless but I've got so I don't give a crap how people view me & wear sleeveless anyway - even at work around all the 40 & less employees.  BUT ...I WAY prefer to look toned so starting this am walking again after the IT band injury & will begin HIIT with arms this week.  As the IT band injury heals, can start HIIT below the waist.
The HIIT sounds good, will check that out.

Desiccated liver promotes muscle development and fat loss.  Google "Desiccated Liver & Me" for the story (with pics) of a woman who developed quite awesome arms even though she didn't lift weights.
Any connections with the dairy industry, darling?  Sorry, I don't buy into the whole milk nonsense.  Cow's milk is for calves, not for humans.  And if you want to build muscle.... exercise.  Get a pair of dumbbells if the appearance of your arms bother you.  Anyway, the fat content in milk, even so-called low-fat, is plain scary.

I feel good quality whole milk can be beneficial in moderation.  By good quality I mean raw milk or as close to it as possible (lightly pasteurized).
Raw milk can even be enjoyed if one is lactose intolerant. It contains lactase, an enzyme that neutralizes lactose.  Of course, it can be difficult to get raw milk in the stores, but it can be ordered online.

Here's something from Dr. Mercola quoting Mark McAfee, founder of Organic Pastures, one of the largest producers of raw milk in the United States:

Some people believe that cow’s milk is food for calves only, and should not be consumed by humans to begin with.

However, this may be too simplified a view. As McAfee explains:

“Cows have four stomachs, so they can eat grass… They are literally that animal between us and the sun. They are solar sun convertors. They take sunshine expressed as grass on the ground (because the grass obviously grows when the sun hits the ground and [with] water the grass grows).

We can’t eat the grass but the cow can eat the grass, and then we can eat what the cow provides… [which] is very, very nutrient dense and very digestible by humans.”

To find out how to get raw milk and other healthful dairy products delivered, Google "buy raw milk online."
No-one here has actually made the sensible decision to accept that ageing happens and get on with your life, you can't be a chicky-babe forever.

I don't think it's anyone's aim to "be a chicky-babe forever."  We just want to be the best we can be.  Youthful maturity is certainly do-able.  
I haven’t posted in such a long time, but have kept up with this thread.  I haven’t come up with the miracle cure, that is for sure.  I will say that I have come to terms with my arms to a certain degree; I don’t stress about it all day long any more.  I still don’t wear sleeveless tops or dresses, which I would love to wear here in sunny Southern California.   I turned 60 in May, which makes me feel a little better about having this sagging skin (although I see many women my age whose arms look great).  At this point, my legs are looking pretty saggy as well; but wearing longer shorts almost takes care of that problem.

I still don’t talk about this issue with anyone, because I feel that it would only draw unwanted attention to my arms.  Although she hasn’t said anything, I can now see my daughter’s eyes looking at my wrinkly skin.  I have never been heavy, but did gain (and then lose) about 20 pounds when I was much younger.  I have lost about 7 pounds recently and am about 5’3” and 108 pounds.  I am sure a bit more “fat” would fill out some of this skin; but I am sure if I gained weight now, it probably would go everywhere but where I would like!  I also feel that at this age, once the skin has sagged, nothing is going to make it more elastic and smooth.  I use my dry brush on my arms a couple of times a day; not that I think it will reverse the damage, I am just hoping that the extra stimulation might help reduce the speed of the sagging in the future (at least it feels good and won’t make it any worse!).

I try to focus on the fact that many people tell me how young I look, and they can’t believe that I am 60.  At least my face and neck look okay, and I can wear capris, skinny jeans, etc.  I will keep checking here to hear all of your suggestions and to just be supportive to other women who feel as I do.  Since I don’t share this “distress” with anyone in my “real” life, I am happy to know there are other women on this thread who understand.
No, there is no such thing as youthful maturity. We all sag, wrinkle,etc. Any form of artificial intervention is abhorrent. The best thing to do is maintain a healthy diet and exercise - this will not make you look younger but it will help you keep your good health longer. No supplements will make you look younger - if you believe they do, you are imagining it and have been brainwashed by vitamin companies who want your money.
Instead of gazing in the mirror, get out and do all the things you want to do - who cares how you look? I am over 60 and wrinkled as expected at my age, but I go backpacking regularly and have an active and interesting life and I don't give a darn what people think of my appearance.

I agree it is important to accept ourselves as we are, but
it is my belief that there is MUCH we can do to look and feel younger/youthfully mature, and this is borne out in my own experience.  

I do agree about interventions such as plastic surgery and laser treatments,
I'd never go for those.

I'm finding gelatin to be almost a miracle substance for "youthing." It stimulates growth hormone release and helps build collagen, among many other benefits.  For growth hormone release, best take it on an empty stomach, as in first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  Google "Gelatin Growth Hormone Releaser."
Altamisal, thank you for mentioning gelatin.  I googled it; and while I am not going to take it because I think it is the fountain of youth, it seems that many people have benefited from taking it.  I remember taking Knox gelatin for hair/nails when I was a teenager; it is certainly not a new fad!  I read some of the information about it to my husband and young adult daughter, and we are all going to give it a try (it is inexpensive and I feel we have nothing to lose).

Patros, I do feel that we should be active adults, not letting our looks prevent us from enjoying any activities.  Life is short, and we need to live it to the fullest.  That being said,  I feel the word ABHORRENT is awfully strong and condemning to people who feel differently than you.  After putting my curser over your user name, I see that you are male.  I realize that you may not understand how some women feel.  I don’t think that most of us are letting life pass us by while we gaze into a mirror, falling for every new Anti-Aging gimick on the market.  I found this forum by accident, when I was searching for ideas to possibly help slow the seemingly rapid sagging of the skin on my arms (not sure how you stumbled upon it).  I didn’t find a “cure” (which did not surprise me); but I was comforted to find that I was not alone.  I feel this is a place to share ideas and to accept and encourage others.

di523,

Probably true that gelatin by itself isn't the fountain of youth, but taken in combination with other important nutrients I've spoken of here, such as iodine, magnesium, vitamin C etc., it will indeed have an effect.  And exercise, of course.  I'm still meaning to start the "high intensity interval exercise" (HIIT) recommended by arbor girl.  I already do yoga and walk a lot.

You have to take enough of the gelatin.   I'm up to several tablespoons a day in water, juice or tea, and I also make jello sweetened with fruit juice!  

Anyway, today when I was out with my son, someone asked if I was his girlfriend or wife.  I take that with a grain of salt (he still gets carded, I don't) but I do know all this stuff is having a definite effect!
Mine is on my inner arms. Noticed couple weeks ago. It shocked me cause I am not growing old gracefully. A few years ago I noticed the left cheek area of my face had this. No where else on my face is there any. It never improves, used scrubs & lotions & the light also,  nothing. Glad I saw this topic.
Omg you must be my double. I will follow this thread with the hope of some form of hope for "everlasting youth", I wish.... I'm sure you know what I mean, face looks fine but arms in a sleeveless top give it all away. To add to my misery the other half is only suffering grey hair... easily sorted but doesn't even bother him.
K.
thanx, that was beautifully put
I have the same problem with my arms. Mainly my forearms and inside of my elbow. It started a couple of years ago and has gotten worse. I am going to see a surgeon. I would rather have a few scars than wrinkled forearms. I can't even wear short sleeves. i wear 3/4 shirts in the summer time. Which is difficult because it does get 100 plus degrees in the summer time.
I am a 65 y/o male and yes I noticed over the past year a change in my skin around the chest and arms a sagging I didn't have a year go. I always kept my weight down and exercise regularly. I've read a number of post here and I see a lot of us are looking for answers. You think by now some one would have come up with a cream or a lotion, you just rub on at night and by the morning the skin would shrink. Haha. No such luck. I also thought of the natives of South America who had a formula for shrinking heads. I believe when they shrink the heads they shrink the skin? How did they do that. What did they use to perform that ritual? I looked it up on Wikipedia and the ingredient is Tannin (extracted from plants) also used in the tanning of hides (thus the name tanning). I guess you can say when they tan hides the skin shrinks. Tannins can be found in many fruits and vegetables. May be those of you who will be talking to your doctor soon can ask him/her about tannins.
Such a good thread, I laughed til I cried sometimes, the arm descriptions ...!  And of course I can relate,  but  I can barely see myself anymore, my vision is so poor, one of life's tender mercies.  ;).  

I  am 54, have always been in great shape, 5'7" 124 lbs, and suddenly I am gaunt and haunted looking, with a crepey neck and withered arms.  I also can't look at my legs in the downward dog pose ... I will tell you what has helped me.  I gained about 5 pounds! And the arms improved by about 75%.  The face still sags, but looks less haunted (boo!).  I did a week of eating smoothies for breakfast and lots of salmon and fruit ... The smoothies were with spinach and fruit ... And for sure I looked tighter.  I cut out wheat and increased proteins, fruits and veggies, with a focus on taking in more fats, healthy fats like fish oils, olive oils, nuts and seeds.  My skin tone and immune system improved.  

Diet helps a lot, so does the inner state.   I find that if I feel well inside I seem to feel better about how I look ... I am working on re-establishing my priorities to be more in sync with this new phase of life.  I mean some of this stuff can be managed, but some of it asks to be made peace with, right?  The thing that is working best for me is just coming to terms with my arrival at this moment, where how my flesh looks can finally take a backseat.  I just can't be bothered to fight an uphill battle.  I will put in some effort, but don't want to lose too much of my precious time or energy looking the wrong way and missing something.  We live in a culture that doesn't really show us how to do this, how to not chase after youth and be okay with that.  But Time flows in one direction, and I want to flow with it and enjoy the ride, not struggle too much trying to fight nature.  So we try to strike a balance ... Do what we can, and make peace with our aging bodies along the way.   Let's have fun with this!  Eat our supplements with a wry grin ... I wish us all success!
I'm 61, drink plenty of water and take bio-identical hormones, have for years. My face looks pretty good, getting jowels pretty bad at this point, neck is awful and my arms are terrible. I live in Arizona now and won't go sleeveless. I have those Bingo arms old ladies get. Another thing that has happened to me is the excess fat around my stomach and waist. I've always had a tiny waist and flat stomach and now I feel disgusting. I'm still in my size 4's and sometimes 6's but have terrible overflow on the waist area. Even larger sizes just make me look like I'm wearing my clothes too large.
I'm now starting to be consistent with some It Works products that I started selling so we'll see what happens. I have the galvanic spa but haven't noticed much difference with it on any area at all. I'm interested in anything that will help. I have started taking this product from It Works that's called New You, supposed to stimulate the HGH in your body. I'll check back in a month or so and let you know how it's going.

Just started taking amino acid growth hormone releasers recently, before bed.
Will see how that goes.  Also started taking organic turmeric along with coconut oil, about a tbslp. of each, along with a sprinkle of black pepper to assist absorption of curcumin which has many anti-aging and health benefits including for skin.  I do that once or twice a day.  And I've started using a sports hula hoop to get rid of the spare tire.  Ten minutes a day is supposed to be effective. Google: "The ten-minute workout that rolled away my spare tyre in six weeks"  Still taking the gelatin and that's paying off for skin and hair. There's so much we can do and I feel it's best to focus on the ways we're improving rather than our perceived flaws.  
Tracyinflorida... STOP the Leviquin!!!  It is an extremely harmful antibiotic.. Do some research on the effects re: your torn ligament DUE to the Leviquin.  Class action law suits are going on right now.
I am a 51 year old female and have been dealing with sagging skin at the elbows for over a year now. I saw a rheumatologist for two other auto-immune diseases that I was diagnosed with last year. He noticed my sagging skin and hyper-mobility of my joints and rattled off a name for this condition. I lost the paperwork. After reading your post, I decided to research it again on the web to see if the name would jump out at me. I believe I was diagnosed with EDS or Ehler's Danlos syndrome. There are several phases of this disease. You may want to research it. I plan on continuing to monitor it myself. Not only does my skin sag at the elbows, but it's itchy, red, and sore. I used to work out 6 days a week, and was in great physical shape up until a year ago when one of my diseases manifested itself, causing me to lose all my energy and strength. Still trying to regain it. Hope this helps provide a little information for you to do additional research.
Does the gelatin make you gain weight?  I think I will try it.  I am 59, and just this year I noticed all of a sudden my wrinkly, sagging arms and my legs (thighs) are getting the rippled effect.  It is scary to see this all of a sudden - I too am very active, do some weight training, yoga, hike, walk and dance.  I am thin and look good for my age, except this skin thing.

No, gelatin doesn't make you gain weight.  Actually, it is said to boost human growth hormone and thus metabolism.  At the same time, since it boosts collagen in the skin, it helps keep skin tight.

I'd also recommend looking into a book that came out in the 70's, Doctor Frank's No Aging Diet by Dr. Benjamin Frank.  This little book is one of the best-kept secrets for good health and youthful appearance.  It's available at Amazon.
I have probably come across this too late in year but I feel the same. I have lost some weight and from a distance look younger, but at 52 the lines, sagging skin and general lack of tone is hard to accept. Glad hubby is not seeing things too well close up
I LOVE THIS POINT OF VIEW !
I am 46, and about a yr ago I noticed I was having the above skin issues too. I did have a BIG stressful life change happen and I saw somewhere that can super charge the "event" of chamge in the skin. A friend of mine shares the same story. I do believe perimenopausal plays into it as well. If y'all find out anything... please share. One thing I found is prenatal vitamins help and I would like to add vitamin E. Exercise and clean eating has been in the works since Dec 2012 as a regular lifestyle choice, so that is well enough too. I, am not going down w/o a fight! I am too young to have skin looking this, despite the sun and fair skin. NOT buying it!
I am 59 and it's my arms which use to be something I was proud of but now they are so wrinkling that I am embarrassed to wear short sleeves.  My face is fine maybe because I have used sunscreen for years but I am baffled what happened to my arms.   Any hints would be appreciated    I want to be sleeveless again
Can't believe I have been following this thread for three years plus, now. And I also cannot believe there hasn't been something invented/discovered/researched yet to help with the problem that really does work. I even wrote 'The Doctors' telling the one who specializes in cosmetic surgery to get a team together to research this problem that is driving us baby-boomers crazy!

But with that said, I want to make a few comments: First, from reading since the beginning, this problem seems to mainly occur to those who state that they have been fit their entire life and/or have been skinny or lost weight when older. To those, I just want to say, put on some weight, for I see fewer women who carry an extra 10+ pounds with the really obvious crepiness and sags, myself included. But besides this, those who were in the sun a lot make the list as well, which really has already taken its toll on our skin, and from what I see, the damage has already been done, myself included.

However, I will add my last comment again, for I written about it before, and really swear by it as I have been uing it since 2007, for te sagging skin and crepiness on the inside crease of my elbows and on my knees.

However, I will add my last comment again, for I written about it before, and really swear by it as I have been uing it since 2007, for the sagging skin and crepiness on the inside crease of my elbows and on my knees, but is not severe. The ingredient that really helps, I think, is DMEA. There was more in this lotion when I first began using it, and the results were better, but using religiously, it is a miracle on my skin. The product is Nourish Skin Tight. It isn't cheap, and it doesn't work for everyone, but it has for me. It took almost ten days for me to see the results when I first began using it,  but now, if I don't use every day, within two days of use, my arm looks great.
From me! Please read the next one as I didn't know I posted this twice! I thought I had gone back and corrected errors and finished the original post, but Flying fingers on a tiny android did me in. However, I want to add that I am in Europe for 5 months and first, 5 bottles of this lotion are with me, and second, there doesn't seem to be a 'cure' for it here, but I see far less older women with this problem. Grrr
I am a 60 year old woman, at the top of the weight for an average BMI, had weight fluctuations of 5-8 lbs over the course of the last ten years, in a gradual way, but mostly maintained a constant weight.  Pilates 2x per week for a decade. Had a very late menopause.  And that's when I started seeing the crepey skin on my arms, upper thighs, neck.  Using a derm roller and moisturizer with vitamin C, which lessens the look for a short while.  Drinking plenty of water and eating blueberries every day for most of my adult life.  What I notice is that we all have aging beauty issues.  For some, it is loss of hair, or heavy eyelids, or darkness under our eyes.  It can be sagging breasts or cellulite or ugly toe nails.  For many it is the theme of this community discussion. The list is endless, but from my experience with my friends, not everything falls apart, but something does to each of us.  So long as we try to be our best and are thankful for our health and happiness,  our best features will shine through.
Good point that we all have our aging issues with regard to appearance, WisdomWarrior.  On the other hand,  we all had acne and/or other issues in our teen years. Maybe there are people who never in their life had any beauty issues.  I'm not one of them.   A positive aspect of these problems is that they can get us looking for ways to overcome them and in doing so, it raises our overall quality of life.  I believe that is their higher purpose.

Something I've been looking into lately that might be a missing piece of this aging puzzle, is high quality unrefined salt.  When I consulted an herbalist some months ago, she was insistent that I take salt in water first thing when I get up.  Any amount up to a teaspoon.  I didn't like the idea and reasoned that  the salt I put on food should be enough.  Over the winter I got a terrible cold that went on for a few weeks.  This is rare for me, I usually never get colds or any other illness.  After I got better,  I still was bothered by congestion.  I remembered what the herbalist and others have said about the importance of good salt.  I started taking a half tsp. in a half cup warm water in the A.M.,  and following it up with 16 oz.  filtered water.  I felt better right away.  Looking into this it seems one of the main benefits of salt in water is that it helps keep us hydrated.  We can drink a lot of water but without salt, it just goes right through us.  The salt helps us hold water in our bodies where it's needed.  It stands to reason that this would help with keeping skin hydrated, and thus,  soft, smooth and elastic.  

By the way, I don't drink a lot of salt.  I don't buy the "8 glasses a day" dogma.  I do drink herbal tea and white tea.  I learned green and white tea hydrates the body as well as plain water, despite the small amount of caffeine.  And they have a lot of skin benefits.  

"By the way, I don't drink a lot of salt."

Sigh, wish there was an edit function for comments.

I meant to write,  I don't drink a lot of water.  I also don't drink a lot of salt. Just a bit in the mornings. :)
Hello, I found this thread looking for something that might clue me in to my alligator skin on my arms, wrinkling and just looking like 100 years. old.  This started immediately after I took CIPRO (flouroquinolone), which is just like Levaquin. I noticed you also took this. I had a huge problem with bodywide tendonosis and CNS/PNS with Cipro. I am now 59 and my skin looks way worse than my 99 year old grandmothers did. Mostly on the arms and back of hands. Now it is getting that way on the thighs.
HI. I read your post about the waist area. I did the Cool Sculpting machine at a cosmetic doctor in Tampa that does every kind of beauty procedure. All you need is money.

However, the Cool Sculpting really worked for my waist area. It ***** on to your body (I did it once between bust and belly button and once below the belly button) and stays on for an hour. It freezes fat cells and your body eliminates those cells (through urine). It takes about 4-6 weeks, but it WORKS. Cost is about $800 per session and there is a little pain, like menstral cramps (on the below the belly button session). The one above didn't hurt me at all.

One more thing, I hear there is a new procedure, even less invasive. It uses heat and a laser and you have to have one treatment per week for four weeks. Suppose to take at least 2 inches off all the way around. I don't know how much $$$, but NOTHING worked for me in this area. I think it was menopause…

Good luck and don't give up!
Janet
58, 5'7, 145lbs, elephant skin. Big sunbather in my youth. Someone mentioned genetics and I remember my French/Spanish grandmother at around 60 with skin just like mine and it got worse and worse as she aged. As a young kid, I was surprised at how horrible it looked. Great. I'm using ROC deep wrinkle cream with retinol (for the past month) and see a slight improvement on my arms/legs, but not enough to justify the cost of this face treatment for the body. Thanks for the tips about gelatin, iodine, salt, vitamin C and lots of water. I eat well, work out and avoid sugar… that's about all I can do. Thanks to the women who wrote that we're all basically in the same boat and that maybe some of this is just about grace and acceptance. Bummer!
I am out of bed at 2.45 am so worried about the look of my arms that I got up to look on the internet - as a lot of you said, its so sudden - one day  you look in the mirror and you think it can't be your arms or other parts of your body you don't recognise !    so glad other women feeling like me - so helpful when you feel the person you were just disappeared and you are this older woman that you don't recognise.  this site is so supportive and making me feel so much better about myself at 67.  I always wear everything with sleeves - even my nighties.  I am constantly looking in shops for anything with a sleeve - this is an expensive problem as I tend to be buying everything that has a sleeve !!    I guess our grandmothers accepted all these problems as they were old at 60 (mine was) .. and there were no solutions or internet to help so they just accepted it.  what gets me is that some of my same age girlfriends have firm arms - why is it me that has floppy arms I ask myself when they can still wear sleeveless tops and wear swimmers ??   thank you ladies - I can go back to bed and hopefully stop panicking !!
was just thinking (after I posted my first post last night at 2.45 am (Australia)) ... about a 67 girlfriend that I have known forever.  I was taking a photo of her the other day and she said "I hate having photos taken now because of my saggy neck' ... well, I had never noticed her saggy neck - but she was so paranoid about it.   I guess we all think our bad bits are so noticeable.  also - do any of you buy those 'crocheted' cotton tops in flowery designs from most dress shops - about $25 each - they hide so much.   I have 5 ... I can have the air come through the 'holes' and yet they cover arms.   what a blessing they are.  
Hi Ms Daisyee,

For your face have you tried simple Retin A? Any Med Spa or dermatologist can give it to you.

I started with .05% every other day on my face & neck after my evening cleansing routine (only in evenings due to the affects it has on sun sensitivity) and then use a exfoliating scrub once a week.  Then moisturize mosturize mosturize morning and night, it does wonders! You will still have wrinkles but they are less noticable and people will say your skin "glows".

Once your skin gets used to the .05% you can bump up to the .1% or if it is too strong (it was for me) keep up with the .05% and use it every evening.

A tube of .05% will run you about $50-$75 but it will last a month or two depending on how much you use it.  A small bit each night goes along way, use a very thin layer.

If you go this route make sure to use 50 broad spectrum sunscreen and I add a hat & neck scarf during the really sunny days.  The sun is an enemy to menopausal skin, breaks down the tissue and collagen.

Good luck!
Jackie
I haven't written on this board forever (probably because the weather was cooler and covering my arms was pretty easy).  Here we go again, Spring and Summer; and the daily problem of covering my arms by wearing sleeves (but trying very hard to not appear that I am TRYING to cover my arms).  I do love the little crochet tops, but even they make me feel quite warm.  

My 60 year old best friend, with firm arms, just visited and was sleeveless the whole time.  I can see just the beginning of "softening" to her arms, but it will be YEARS before she catches up to me (and by then, mine will look so much worse).  She always wants to go clothing shopping with me, which I hate, because I am always worried that she will pick out sleeveless sun dresses and tops for me to try on.  I know I should just mention my saggy arms to her and get it "out in the open", but am trying not to draw attention to it (silly, I know).  That being said, I think she is a bit self-conscious about her neck (one area I am NOT concerned about)...I have been rationalizing this in my mind; at least I can try to cover my arms...it would be really hard to cover an entire neck!

Sorry I have absolutely NOTHING constructive or helpful to offer; I just wanted to vent and let others know that I completely understand what you may be going through.
add me to the list. holy moley. i started reading every comment & then realized how many there are!

i'm 40. i lost 60 pounds 4 years ago. but it seems like only now, suddenly, all the skin of my body - least of all my face, however (i still have acne) - has turned to CREPE PAPER! my hair is falling out as well. also, over the last 6 months i've gotten back to my intense college exercise routine, but my body hasn't improved much at all! i've been humbled by this, & am learning to just appreciate the mental benefits of exercise.

here's what i'm doing: CASTOR OIL. i started with apricot seed oil from the health food store, & as they only had 1 bottle, i picked up the castor oil beside it as well. i had no idea how thick & viscous is castor oil - it's like motor oil!  the trick is, like i learned with using apricot oil, to not use a towel after bathing, & just apply the oil over wet skin, & patiently do everything else in my routine - dry my hair, clip my nails, do my makeup, etc.- while it's soaking in. the apricot oil absorbs quickly, but castor oil takes forever. i get dressed with the oil still on my skin. it takes a while for the skin to adjust to this oil-only routine, & then the skin repairs somewhat & absorbs it better. i don't know how to explain this, maybe there is a plumping of the skin that soaks up more oil over time, i don't know. i've used the apricot oil since this happened a few months ago, & i've only been using the castor oil for a week or so & hope my skin will repair more & absorb it better. i've added it to all the lotion i have around the house, too.  

i'll probably also get some pure coconut oil from the health food store & use that after shower.  also, it's possible the best method is to rinse off the excess castor oil after applying it, & then pat dry with a towel. also i'm exfoliating more, i get the cheapest exfoliant in a big tub - imitation st. ives from walmart. i soak in the tub to soften my skin, then pat dry a bit, not all the way, & scrub scrub scrub. after this treatment, my skin absorbs oil better & feels really nice & slick.

i feel like i need to take a month long vacation where i can be naked & oily & just roll around in sand & drink mango juice or something!

i think i've got to hydrate more & get more vitamin E & A, too.  

as far as my hair, i think it's breaking rather than falling out. a brand called 'shea moisture - established 1912' from sierra leone, sold at walmart in the section for african american hair, works very well on my very caucasian old-lady hair - i have retired the hair brush & just scrunch the 'curl enhancing smoothie' into my hair. similar to my skin, my hair will seem very oily at first, but by the next day, it looks shiny & healthy. i suspect a periodic spray of skin & hair with oil-infused water may also help.

best of luck!
quote: "You think by now some one would have come up with a cream or a lotion, you just rub on at night and by the morning the skin would shrink. Haha. No such luck. I also thought of the natives of South America who had a formula for shrinking heads. I believe when they shrink the heads they shrink the skin? How did they do that. What did they use to perform that ritual? I looked it up on Wikipedia and the ingredient is Tannin (extracted from plants) also used in the tanning of hides (thus the name tanning). I guess you can say when they tan hides the skin shrinks. Tannins can be found in many fruits and vegetables. May be those of you who will be talking to your doctor soon can ask him/her about tannins."

---i commend you, sir, for the most ingenious suggestion of an aging skin remedy i've ever come across. i wonder what my doctor will say when i ask her how the skin of shrunken heads was tightened. send me to the 'head shrinker' for sure, lol!
what to do....I have always been in shape...and always on the thin side..i am  55 yrs old and have stayed at 98lbs from the ages of 40 to 53---which is thinner than I was in my 20's and 30's...which was 110-120...also I am 5'3in..and even though thinner at 45-50 yrs old my skin was not bad--showing some signs from the sun---WHICH I am--always have been a sunalohic.....3 years ago I had some teeth pulled dropped down to 93 and noticed my legs almost immediately looked like they aged 15 years.....I also went though menopause at 41-43 yrs of age...I have always enjoyed my cocktails ---  wine at night daily----oh well....I have also been a "SURVIVOR""--not important to get into all that--except for the reason I drink daily--became just habit...like wine in Italy......I love sitting out in the sun with my music in ears so-o-o-o-o-o- much..it is my drug of choice --always was...I just can't imagine not basking this year--for I have fought depression and anxiety all my life....I am well...don't get me wrong..i am a very upbeat person--considering all the crap that I've had to go though--not of my own making....like I said I am very upbeat---esp. this time of year--living in the state of ny...summers's are heaven on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  any suggestions would be welcome...can't afford "Roc" on my body....but do use it on my face..along with oaly serum...my face is 2o yrs younger than my arm and legs....  I know my arms and legs are sun wrecked--but..ta know...my stomach(which I have never put in the sun--since I was 13...is looking the same sagginess..)...oh yeah...also...I was a vitamin/mineral alcoholic as well...up until 3 yrs ago....I stopped ..just to see if I was pissing it away--like my doc said...well...my blood work didn't change...it was still good...so.. I stopped taking my vitamin regimine...which consisted of about 25 pills(which I have done since I was 25 or so...I just started back just within the past month  on some.....amino acid complex..copper..omegas..magnesium..and vitamin d and e....whoever mentioned the statement of their legs looking like loose panty hose--was so funny--I think of it and say it when appropriate---humor is a wonderful thing.....thanks...

Dr. Murad's Water Principle is worth checking out.  Joan Lunden has a good page about his work at her site.  Her photos seem to show it's working for her.  Search Joan Lunden Water Principle.  It will be the first hit.  
I was on prednisone for 6 months and IV antibiotics several times last year. I noticed my skin wrinkling in the hospital and mentioned it to the nurse and she said it would go away. It has not, if anything it has gotten worse. I am convinced it is a result of the meds. I have aged greatly in a few months and nothing seems to reverse it. I think this is a little known side-effect that no one is talking about.

Have you tried detoxing? curezone is a good resource with a lot of support.
Check out Dr. Schulze's Liver Detox.  If you detox the meds, this should kickstart the reversal of aging.
Sorry to say but you don't have very good reviews Dr Abraham!!

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.
Hi Lisa,
At 111 lbs, you're pretty thin, and that'll leave middle aged skin hanging.  I'm your same height, but have always worked out and weight 138.  I'm not fat, but not skinny either.  I wear size 6 or 8 pants and am fairly muscular, which helps to support all that looser skin in the same way that youthful fat pads and natural collagen used to.  I'd be super weak and lightheaded if I weighed less than 135, but you may have smaller bones and probably less muscle mass than I do.  But still...  I'd say gain a little weight and love the body you live in.  I miss being young, but I won't stop laughing and living because my body is changing with age.  Screw the media and what it makes us think we should be...  We're real and normal and human---not products of PhotoShop.  Just my opinion...
Hi your article is very informative...I have a question, I am lactose intolerant, can lactaide milk give the same results as whole milk?

I've been taking maca root powder and I believe it's helping my skin.  Was just reading an article that goes into the skin benefits of macs.  It can also be incorporated into facial masks.   To read the article, just Google "organic macs powder for amazing skin."

Maca balances hormones naturally (it's an adaptogenic herb) thus is very valuable for us folks "of a certain age." :)
Hi Lisa, not sure if you have sorted out your problem yet, I know many of us women suffer from this.  Mine only appeared 3 months ago and at 46 was mortified as I was in fantastic shape with my body uptil then...it happened over night.  On a positive note they are now a heck of a lot better but it has been a long slog over the last couple of months.  I do 25 press ups and tricep dips every morning and do kettlebell arm raises.  A good one is extend your arms out to the side of you horizontal with your chin line and point thumbs downwards, rotate in circular movements for the count of 100.  This all combined with regular exfoliation and cream does improve the appearance.
good luck :)
My arms have deteriorated alot, especially in the wrist area, lots of deep lines on the out part of the foremarm.. all appearing in a matter of weeks in my last year of my forties.  I've also lost alot of volume from the top of my thighs which have caused alot of wrinkling to the tops of my thighs.  My days of being undressed in front of anyone are over. My teeth also look like crap.
My body fell apart after an unwarranted hysterectomy. I still cannot believe how FAST I aged and I am still angry at my (former) long-time gynecologist. The loss of subcutaneous fat, collagen, and muscle mass caused horrible sagging, crepey skin and prominent veins. I developed that puckered/pinched lips appearance and marionette lines and jowls. I have been avoiding people like the plague.

Please look into maca powder.  It has a plethora of benefits for anti-aging, and in women who have had hysterectomies, enables the adrenals to make sufficient hormones.  

Also try face exercises to help facial rejuvenation.  They work!
I have been very saggy and creepey since menopause ( 3 yrs ago ), I used to hike for hours and hours and had super tight skin, but after a year of very little walking, all of a sudden BAM, wrinkley, creepey skin on legs and arms and chest !!  No one has mentioned chest !!  If I apply a ton of lotion its better for a bit, but just temporary.  I am 5'5", 103 lb, 51 yrs old, Vegan, and a sun-worshipper....(( can never stop...lol )).  Thank you for this forum... I am not alone.....  does anyone have this skin on chest too ??  best to all

I wonder how many with these issues are eating much fish or getting enough healthy fats.  A couple of quotes from Dr. Nicholas Perricone:

“If women understood that eating a simple can of sardines or salmon would give their hair and skin an unrivaled radiance, softness, and suppleness — like nothing else in this world — these foods would fly off the supermarket shelves. You would see a stampede toward the fish aisle.”

“Dry skin is actually a manifestation of chronic subclinical (invisible to the eye) inflammation. Make sure that you have adequate intake of healthy fats, such as those found in fish, fish oil, and extra virgin olive oil. While topicals can do wonders [for dry skin] it is critically important to not forget the dietary component, which can both cause and worsen all of these conditions.”
OLIVE OIL ladies 3 big spoonfuls a day. After shower rub extra virgin olive oil on skin too. You dont see mediterranean women with this problem because of their diet. I am 53 and started noticing crepey skin at 50, started using evo and now its virtually nonexistent. Good luck.

Cool!
Sophia Loren talks about olive oil as her main beauty aid.

http://thepassionateolive.com/wp/an-elixir-for-anti-aging/

The forever-lovely Sophia Loren is enamored with olive oil and takes two tablespoons everyday. When over 1500 people were recently asked to rate the world’s most naturally beautiful celebrities, the winner was 75-year-old Sofia Loren. She shared one of her timeless beauty secrets: “the odd olive oil bath.” In fact, Sophia’s beauty is so legendary in Italy that it has prompted the Archbishop of Genoa to observe, that although the Vatican is opposed to human cloning, “an exception might be made in the case of Sophia Loren.”

When Jeanne Calment, a French woman, who held the record for the longest confirmed lifespan, died at the age of 122, she reportedly attributed her long life remarkably youthful appearance to olive oil. She liberally poured olive oil on her food and rubbed into her skin.
What a great find, very interesting read, just goes to show these old wives tales stay around for centuries because they work. I love evo, its been so good for my skin and hair and best of all its cheap and not full of awful chemicals.
Thanks everyone for the comments. I see I am not the only one.

I love it too! Both for eating and topical use.  Yes, it's a great hair oil as well.  Every so often I have to douse my hair in EVOO for a few hours and then wash out. Really works as a deep conditioner! I often mix it with an equal amount of  cayenne pepper for that purpose.  Cayenne stimulates the scalp and seems to make it easier to wash out the oil.  Got to be careful to keep it out of eyes when shampooing! :)
I saw your comment about meds and wondered if that could be the cause of my rapid aging. I have been on Cell Cept for a few years for Myasthenia Gravis. I have seriously aged so much in the last few months and it's very depressing. I am also going through Menopause. I have been trying everything and going to Cosmetic Dermatology next month to see what they have to say.

Hi Christy! Very sorry to hear your experience with the med.  It sounds like it would be best to get off it,  although of course you shouldn't stop cold turkey. Hope you will discuss this with your doctor.  There are alternative approaches to myasthenia gravis.  You might check out the info at Earth Clinic, curezone, and Dr. Weil's site.   He recommends a dietary approach (anti-inflammatory diet, which = anti-aging).  Good luck!!
this is regarded as a highly effective soothing agent that is capable of eliminating the skin problems such as skin care products.  
tracyinflorida, I know it's been a year, but you described the way I felt for a few years and my problem was high calcium...had no idea until this year why I felt so bad. Just wondering if your lab results for past couple of years might show high calcium. I found help at Parathyroid.com and got my life back. All the best to you.
menopause is very aging
Thanks for the post , but am curious as to what your 60 year old friend DOES do to have great arms and why you wouldn't have posted that?
Aging women who have a little extra fat on them look better than a thin woman who has none to spare. Of course there may be an exception where someone who is aged and thin and looks great but often not.  I am very thin, lined and wrinkled and yes, I even manage to be saggy at times even with thin skin.  I wish I had more fat and muscle to fill it all in.   I think we all need a little extra fat as we age.  Maybe not a lot, but a little extra over normal weight incase we get sick, we have a reserve to work on. .
Hey, it's not just a concern for ladies, I just turned 65 and I had noticed this "crepiness' this year.  Particularly on my legs and funnily enough my side chest.  Let me say I am fit and healthy- I lift weights and run 4-5 miles several times a week.  
Many of the recommendations for creams and lotions are astronomically expensive.  Good luck and my blessings to you if you can afford  the Perricone products.  I tried Olive oil  some time ago, but gave up because I didn't like the taste and also it felt unpleasant in my mouth just taking a spoon full.  But I am going to try 3 spoons a day for the next month and see if I notice any improvement- I guess it couldn't hurt!  
Hi Everyone. I am new to this forum, but stumbled across it, as I was concerned about what seemed to be an overnight change in my body since I'm approaching menopause - I'm 47 yo and have actually lost weight, developed saggy arms and waist, and had nothing but arthritis problems in the past 4 months. It started with migraine, slurred speech, word finding issues, muscle weakness and loss of balance. Very scary. I went through many tests for neuro, cardiac and autoimmine isues. All medical testing, including neuro testing and bloodwork, is normal. The typical sx of menopause were very severe for me, plus losing weight during the process made no sense, since most women say they gain gain gain. But I read that your body needs fewer calories during meno, so maybe I just was not as hungry. I was also very stressed about my health in general. My gyn tried me on hormone replacement therapy for a few weeks and that helps the typical menopause sx, but actually reshuffled my body fat in a very weird way and caused rapid hair loss, so I stopped those meds. Now I'm going to figure out how to slowly rebuild myself with this new body that I have - and don't recognize. I'm very grateful for all of you here to have shared your experiences. I was terrified for months that I had some horrid disease and so anxious! With the menopause setting in, at the same time, I did have night sweats and racing thoughts about my health, worried what was wrong. Now that the med workups are coming back ok, I'm trying to see a brighter side to this and hopefully can work on feeling better and looking good too. Interestingly, my face was bloated, but now is fine, not wrinkly, just my arms, waist and lower legs/feet. The slurred speech and word finding went away. Seems like things are working themselves out, but the sagging muscles and skin remain. Thanks for the advice everyone! Bluebird
Oh how I feel your pain...I was really not too bad until I hit 75 and now at 77 there seems to be no end to just how many wrinkles and sags there will be.  People say they can't believe I'm getting close to 78 but my mirror tells me they are just being nice and trying to make me feel better.  I guess I will just have to be thankful my health is pretty good, I still love my work and have lots of family and friends........That being said...I HATE that creepy crawly way the skin on my arms, legs, and belly look.  Any ideas how to make that look just a little better?
Thanks,
AJ
bslbird -- those symptoms sound a lot like thyroid issues.....even if your tests came back normal you may have an issue there that isn't showing up (or an auto immune one)   - i had similar symptoms though not as severe...i use lugol's solution and a low dose of dessicated thyroid extract for the past couple years and my hair grew back (which was very scant and just would not grow), my mind is clearer and not as achy. Another natural remedy, along with healthy fats, vitamin C, plenty of vegetables,  i'll alert people to is to take care of their gut health - probiotics, prebiotics etc. Our guts are pretty decimated for most of us due to empty foods and antibiotics etc. Cultured foods like kimchee, sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir etc, make part of your daily diet, even a little. If you notice animals that arent healthy, their coats are dull , and the same with us , our 'skin' coats are can dull too, due to poor gut health. I am nearly 60 and have the same issues as everyone else, crepey skin on the sides of my neck (where i neglected to put sunscreen as a younger woman), skin loosening on arms and thighs and even back of my calves. But I do have a glow to my skin and don't look too bad if I cover up! I have spent a fortune keeping my face up (everything science has to offer!), but there is not much I could do for my body besides and lower body lift (no thank you! ) and an upper arm lift (no thank you again even though it's tempting). Reading these comments makes me feel very philosophical about aging and calling some kind of ''truce'' against the ravages time is doing to me. I dont want to be some foolish looking woman in denial. Life is fleeting and its a shame to spend one's sunset years loathing ones body. Decrepitude does suck..but it is the human condition if you live long enough !
You are one of the smarter bloggers I've ran across!
Hi again

The news that every woman needs to know is that they will not recognise themselves during menopause.

All sorts of bizarre things happen, and its not pretty, and its very uncomfortable, for many of us.

At least we now know what it is.  Can you imagine suffering in silence wihtout the internet?  A place where we can all winge about how old and sore and strange we are all starting to feel and look?
My doctor sId there is no exercise for sagging skin. I am like you at 59. Face looks good but arms and legs sag. Maybe laser but who to believe. Dermatologists say it works but does it. It is like finding an honest mechanic
I would agree that accepting natural signs of aging is important, but this is different, and your answer is thoughtless.   I'm here because I have had a severe change in skin tone in the last two months.  It's not that I'm noticing wrinkles for the first time, it's almost as though my skull has shrunken/changed shape, along with the deep wrinkling.  Two months.  That's not an exaggeration.  IF I had a decent physician, I'd ask about it in a more professional place.  In any event, I found no similar situations here.  I'm frightened, darn it.
Sorry to hear you are in shock about your body changes.  I've also had massive changes with menopause and my "journey continues"; my entire body has changed shape.  I am now an "apple" rather than the lovely hourglass I once had.  I have very sore hips.. my arms are not worth getting out in public, hair is grey, all this happened over a short period.  I lost alot of hair for a while (on my head, mainly around hairline and part) and also under the arms and pubic hair very sparce.  It is a huge change and I'm not sure whether reversible.  :(  
Did you go through natural menopause (as in no gyn procedures such as hysterectomy, ablation, tubal ligation)? I had an unwarranted hysterectomy and I experienced RAPID aging with all the issues you mentioned. I was horrified to age 15 to 20 years in a matter of 4 months! Prior to the surgery, everyone thought I was at least 10 years younger than my age.  
Dear oldbeforemytime,

My menopause was natural (albeit it seemed to come as a shock response to my mother dying); but I was in normal range for menopause being 46.  It is shocking that we are aging so quickly - and seeing this all happen so quicly made me go out and research it abit to reassure myself it was "normal" to have this rapid aging; and so apparently it is... if you good "menopause rapid aging" you can find several scientific published research papers on it; so this phenonema is known in the science community; but in the generalist population; it kind of doesn't get spoken about.... I came across one paper which measured estorgen content in skin before and after meno, and the change is quite dramatic.  It made me go out and buy some natural estrogen cream made from yam but I haven't started using it. x
Women who have some extra weight on them seem to age much more gradually. That is probably due to the fact that fat produces estrogen. And surgical menopause tends to hasten aging because the drop in estrogen is so sudden and severe plus these women also lose 50% of their testosterone overnight. Even women who have hysterectomies who still have their ovaries have lower testosterone levels than intact women. Testosterone is also important for skin health.
hi, love your note...I don't feel so bad now...I just lost about 6 lbs but I feel and look so skinny.  I think I lost alot of muscle since I am not a good excersing woman.  Anyways, am going to try working out on a regular basis and hope to not look so skinny and old!!  ha
I've been sick for quite some time now, last year was horrible. I lost so much hair, got acne and had terrible hot flashes for over 6 months. They stopped pretty much in its track when I started taking Vitamin D3 supplements and my hair stopped falling out too.

I'm 44 and had a hysterectomy soon 3 years ago, kept one ovary. I also got subacute thyroiditis this spring and was so sick with thyrotoxicosis, pain, fever, anxiety and then dropped to severly hypothyroidism. I'm currently on Levothyroxine.

My endo just suggested doing a FSH test since I had such bad hot flashes last year and it turns out I'm post menopausal!! Wow!! That explains so much so in a sense I'm relieved but it ***** too, I think I'm too young to be post menopausal.

I recently started to use a OTC natural plant based progesterone cream I found at Sprouts. And I hope it will help, stopping some of the aging process. First I wanted to use HRT but I've changed my mind. I'm reading a book right now from a Doctor John Lee "What your doctor doesn't tell you about menopause" and it doesn't seem like the falling levels of estrogen is the cause of all the symptoms but the complete lack of progesterone is. Well, this cream is my on,y hope.

I have gained a lot of weight ever since I started Levothyroxine in September. I was also losing a lot of hair but not as bad as last year. And right now my hair loss is going away again. Maybe because I've been on the same dose of Levo for a while now. It seems like hair loss is a side effect of the thyroid levels going up or down.

My arms have become really saggy too, I have the famous bingo-wings and it's not fun. I look so different compared to prior to my surgery. My face also have this peach fuzz and I shave it off once a week, works pretty good. I just hope and pray it won't turn into dark, thick hairs.

The hairs on my lower legs hardly grows anymore, same with my armpit hairs.
I really, really hate this and regret my hysterectomy so much. It wasn't even necessary, I had a suspect cyst on my ovary, we could just have done a biopsy. But my obgyn surgeon just thought a hysterectomy was the best and all I heard was "cancer" so I just went along with whatever he said.

I sometimes use coconut oil, it smells great and make the skin smooth. I tried to eat it every day but it just makes me gag so bad I just can't. My hands have aged too beyond belief and ever since last year I've been really depressed. I stopped exercising completely, I've been pretty much just laying on the couch for do long now. Every day I say to myself I'll start up again tomorrow but it always fails. I know if I just start moving again my mood would be so much better.

Oh, one more thing; I wake up almost every night at 3 am, unable to fall back asleep. Which really breaks me down too.
Your story is a lot like mine and hundreds of thousands of other women's who have lost their organs unnecessarily and were not told the facts about the debilitating and health robbing effects. Removal of the uterus and/or ovary(ies) has many medically documented adverse effects. For one, hysterectomy causes ovarian failure (resulting in a surgical type menopause) in about 40% of women. Intact women's ovaries produce hormones into their 80's for good health so we are at a great disadvantage.

My long-time gynecologist removed all my sex organs for a benign ovarian cyst. I was just shy of age 50. He even waited for the results of the frozen section. When those results came back benign, he should have sewn me up and sent me to recovery. But instead he proceeded to remove the rest of my sex organs. He should have removed just the cyst. I am still appalled and horrified by how so many doctors get away with this. They have made it so common that no one "bats an eye" or questions it.

Since the ovaries are endocrine glands, surgical menopause puts a lot of stress on the endocrine system which is why many women develop thyroid or adrenal problems.

I also look very different than prior to surgery - MUCH OLDER. I lost most of my hair, skin collagen, and muscle mass. And I developed a bit of gray hair (and it continues to fall out) This all happened within months of surgery. My thin, muscular, toned body morphed into the post-hysterectomy boxy figure and protruding, flabby belly even though I am still underweight. I developed facial "peach fuzz" and arms got extra hairy yet legs and underarm hair have not changed. Most of pubic hair fell out.

I wish I had known that scare tactics and unnecessary organ removal are so prevalent in the Gyn specialty. I would have never trusted my gynecologist.

I also had huge sleep issues from the loss of hormones. Plus I became suicidally depressed. HRT has made a huge difference in both those issues as well as most of the other symptoms (not being able to think, remember, focus, hot flashes, irritability, lack of energy and motivation, etc.).

Keep in mind that surgical or induced menopause is much different from  natural menopause and increases risk of heart disease, osteoporosis, neurological disease, and mood disorders. Estrogen mitigates some of these risks. These links are good summaries:
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3804006/ - Reassessing Hysterectomy
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2815011/ -
Premature menopause or early menopause: long-term health consequences

Hoping better days are ahead for you!
Thank you for replying! It does feel good to know I'm not all alone in this.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been through this too. Yea, I so wish I knew about how important these organs are too. My surgeon acctually wanted to remove both ovaries since "I don't need them anyway" but I insisted to leave one if the stand-by biopsy showed it wasn't cancer. He also guaranteed me I wouldn't get into menopause with one ovary, he said women can get by with even just a half ovary. I did get hot flashes right after the surgery but he said that was normal and it can take a while before that one ovary takes over all the work.

Honestly, I feel so duped and wished I never went to my doctor in the first place with my breakthrough bleedings. Not only did it cost me an arm and a leg (one tumor marker test costed 700 dollar!!!) but it also scared me half to death so I became a nervous wreck. I feel I just can't trust doctors anymore. Everything is just about the mighty dollar not about helping people get better.

i really don't want to get osteoporosis or heart problems but I'm scared of using estrogens after what I've read about it. Sounds like such a huge risk of getting breast cancer and I'm not strong enough to go through more cancer scares. So I'm hoping this progesterone cream will help. I might ask to get a local estrogen cream to use "down-there" to preserve it (?) I've read that menopause can/will shrink the vagina. I'm not in a relationship right now, I'm not in the mood to meet people, let alone a man, I almost vomit of the thought of anything sexual, lol. But I hope that will change in the future because I really don't want to be single for the rest of my life. And then I want all my parts to be "preserved"

I'm glad that HRT have made a positive difference in your life! Will it also help with hair loss after a while? I think the hair loss is my biggest worry, I don't want it to ever start up again. If I'll go bald I don't know how I will find the strength and will to want to exist.
PS: Thank you for the links! :)
Yes, unfortunately, we were both duped just as far too many other women have been. Health care really is about the almighty dollar. We must always keep up our guard and do our research. I only wish I had listened to my inner voice but my respect for my doctor of 20 years caused me to dismiss it.

Your doctor obviously lied about you not needing your ovaries since studies show that they produce hormones into a woman's 80's. And it is even MORE ludicrous since you probably had quite a few years before going into menopause. It is true that part of an ovary will oftentimes work like a whole ovary but that is only if a woman has all her parts. Removal of any part of the "reproductive" system (I say that in quotes because the system has functions far beyond reproduction) can wreak havoc. You should ask him (in person or by letter) when he plans on having his testicles removed!! He doesn't need his testicles any more than you need your ovaries!

You did not say where you read that estrogen increases risk of breast cancer.   Studies have shown that it does not and may actually REDUCE the risk. The combined HRT (estrogen + progestin) arm of the Women's Health Initiative (WHI) showed an increased risk but the estrogen-only arm did not. Here is an article - http://abcnews.go.com/Health/estrogen-replacement-lowers-breast-cancer-risk-women-study/story?id=15862175.

I personally did not want to live any more when I was not getting enough estrogen. I look at it this way...If my thyroid was removed, I would have to take thyroid meds or I would die. Granted, lack of estrogen is not a direct cause of death but is associated with health problems that can lead to an earlier death and also reduce quality of life. Without adequate estrogen, I was merely breathing but dead in every other way.

You also lose 50% of your testosterone when the ovaries are removed or fail post-hysterectomy. In naturally menopausal women, some of the testosterone converts (aromatizes) into estrogen as their bodies need. I am not sure that this process can even occur when the ovaries are gone or dead. And unfortunately there is no FDA approved testosterone for women. So if you want to supplement, you have to go the compounded route or use one of the men's T prescriptions.

It is hard to say what will happen with your hair. Many women report hair loss after hysterectomy and some struggle with it constantly or off and on. I often wonder if using some testosterone would stop my hair loss but so far have not tried any of those compounded prescriptions.
Hi and again, thank you for replying!

I'm going in to my endocrinologist in a few weeks. I'm going to ask what she recommends, but I don't feel I can really trust her.

I'm on Medicaid right now, I've been so sick I haven't been able to work. I've been cashing in my 401Ks to pay the bills but I think I will buy my own health insurance now that the Obamacare thingy is open again. Hopefully I get better service, at least I will feel I have the right to "demand" certain things (like always testing FT3 when doing a thyroid panel)

When getting estrogen HRT do you really have to get a mammogram? Is that "the law"? I'm terrified of them, haven't had one since I was 37. I'm so afraid something will turn up suspicious and then they'll cut off both my breasts too before I know it. I just refuse!
I'm going to read up on HRT as much as I can before my visit, and I might dare to try it if the chance of BC isn't bigger after all. But again, I just don't want mammograms and other procedures, in fact, I don't want anything to do with doctors as long as I get my Levothyroxine and thyroid panels and possible estrogen.

I would love to get testosterone too just to get back all my lost muscle mass but I'll bet it will make me totally bald and I most likely grow a heavy beard too.
I am so sorry that you have not been able to work and have had to rob your 401K. Unfortunately, this happens to a lot of women after this awful surgery. I was so afraid I would not be able to hold onto my job because I could not function. Thankfully, I was able to hold on.

I do not get mammograms. Although my doctor (primary care) would like for me to get them, she understands that I am traumatized by what happened and that I am deathly afraid of being over-treated for something found on a mammo (it happens quite a bit). And I have shared articles with her about the negatives of mammograms so that helps too. Will your endocrinologist maybe prescribe estrogen? The ovaries are endocrine glands so it would seem reasonable. That way maybe you can dodge the mammo bullet since those are usually ordered through a primary care or ob/gyn.

I would also love to get my muscle tone back - not sure how much "replacement" testosterone compares to our bodies own. But I sure would like to give it a try. Libido would be nice too.
I too, am 58 and experiencing everything people have mentioned with sagging skins that doesn't seem to fit my body.  Holy heck is this difficult.  My whole life I was a trim 115 pounds, tight skin and an adorable figure (if I do say so myself.)  But now, I am having an identity crisis and melt down.  Can hardly stand to look at my self.  Ashamed of the severe changes and wondering if I did this to myself?   And like many, it seemed to happen over night.  

My question is, has ANY ONE used bioidentical hormones, specifically estradiol and progesterone and gotten any firming?   ANYTHING??  How is it that someone like Suzanne Summers, Jane Fonda and Jane Seymore can look so good on bioidentical hormones?  Are we all missing the obvious?   Has anyone had their hormones tested?  Mine are on the ground and so is my skin.   Estradiol > 15 pg/ml,  Testosterone 12 ng/dL, progesterone 0.7ng/mL,  DHEA declining, cortisol up.  

I think I could handle some of these changes in my body and skin, if I felt better..........but I don't.  My once abundant energy is zapped, my desire to do things is nil, my sex drive is non existent, and as with many posters, it seems I find little pleasure in life these days. And, I am not sleeping well.
I try, I really do!!   But I can't help but wonder if all of this is simply hormone deficiency?  Our skin is just not getting the proper stimulation.

So, has anyone tried replacement therapy, and if so, did you see any results on bioidentical hormones?    

Look for a MD who also practices alternative medicine. I highly recommend checking into testosterone therapy after having those levels checked to see if you are deficient. We women need it too, not at the levels men require. The compounded cream works. I noticed that I get a sense of wellbeing when I use it. More energy and more of a feeling of I want to do things as opposed to laying around house feeling what's the use. Went off it for a lengthy time due to change in doctor. When I went back on it after returning to original doctor the zip returned. Maybe I don't look younger, and the muscle mass seems to have disappeared forever, but at least I feel like doing things. I also use compounded biest and oral progesterone. Keep up with latest research. Ignore anything that starts with "They say".
About 58 I noticed like you I was really deteriorating. Read everything I could to get a handle on this. As for S. Somers, about halfway into one of her miracle books, she confesses to her use of human growth hormone. They use synthetic now, but its still pricey and not all doctors will prescribe it because of federal drug guidelines and the fear of jeopardizing their medical license (per my MD.) So have lots of money and we too can look younger than our age. And don't forget photo shopping. I am on HRT and recommend it. Also under active thyroid can severely affect our health and well being. I have not gotten any firmer but at least I feel like doing things. We ARE going to get old. We ARE going to look old. But we don't have to FEEL old. Society has made us way too body conscious. We all  age differently. Look for the positive things in your life.And quit worrying so much about the C word. It is a subtle manipulation by the medical world to keep us from questioning treatments that might not always be to our best health interests. Yes cancer is a real threat, but why be traumatised by it if you don't have it??
Hi. Just read these posts. I was under the impression that I was looking good and toned at 55, until I went to look at my legs in a sun lit room and saw that j too, to my horror, have sagging knees and thighs. But while wearjng exercise tights I look great, but without in brighg light, not so great
Anyway, here is what I  recommend (I still look very good for my age, but not as good as I had imagined....)
Plenty of high quality protein everh day
Lots of water
Lots of fruits and vegetables
Silica supplement  .young skin has lots of silica. But don't overdo it bcs it can have sude effects if take too much.
Copper and zinc supplement a few times a week
Calcium and magnesium
Use retin-a on face, neck and hands.
Dry brush skin to increase circulation and maybe boost collagen production
Don't get too skinny
Don't eliminate fat in the diet. Some fat is good
An exercise that builds up muscles around the knees is Terminal knee
extension using a resistance band (thera band) you can do this exercise even if you havd bad knees
Dermarolling
Rub olive oil or coconut oil on knees daily
         Well that's all I havd for now.
That's what I've been thinking as I've read all these posts... Deal with it!  We're all getting older---so???  I'm not going to lose my happiness to excessive worry about looking like a grandma---when I AM one.  I don't care what lies the social media tells me, I'm not going to spend my retirement savings at a plastic surgeon's office.  I work out, eat healthy foods, try to get proper sleep, and don't drink too much.  That's all I plan to do about all those crazy wrinkles that have sprouted up on my arms and legs.  I just bought some really cute short sleeved tops for a trip to Florida---and I'm going to wear them proudly!  
I"m shocked to hear about human growth hormone... these people are nuts taking.. I think Sylvester Stalone was arrested whilst travelling to Australia for having a large amount of it in his bags.....
In response to your inquiry about bio-identical HRT, I am a very satisfied user.  I've been using them for over 5 years.  You need to find a real expert in the area, someone who is "low dose."   Sommers is defined as "high dose."  The low dose practitioners use a conservative approach - only so much as needed to eliminate your symptoms.

An expert in the area will also do a full thyroid evaluation.  Your thyroid situation cannot be properly evaluated with just a TSH test - they need to look at your free T3 and free T4 and it takes a bit of trial and error adjusting prescription amounts to get you in the perfect balance - you need an expert to work with you!  At this age it is very common for our thyroids to be out of whack and getting that corrected is very easy and makes you feel much better!  

Back to the hormones, I use bio-identical estradiol, progesterone and testosterone.  I would not under any circumstances use  traditional HRT with progestin - big cancer risk!  Also, the real experts in the area will recommend a variety of supplements that help with estrogen metabolism to guard against estrogen build-up which is one possible factor increasing the risk of breast cancer - DIM and Calcium d'Glucarate.

They should also check your adrenal function, which almost always is low and can be supported with high quality supplements.

Once you get your thyroid, your hormones, and your adrenal function back in balance, you will feel LOTS better!  I encourage you to do some research and find an expert in your area - my personal bias is to find a female practitioner who is 50+ and has some personal experience with the exact thing you are going through!
I am a 59 year old man.  I found this site searching for premature collagen loss.  I was always mistaken for being at least 10 years younger than my age...well I am afraid that has changed since 18 months ago.  I was shaving one day as I always do and my eyes went to my inner upper arm while bent holding up my razor.  I was shocked - suddenly I had skin draping on my arm.  It was 12/5/13 and I called my doctor that day and went to see him.  It had happened on both of my arms - it was dramatic.  The doctor scheduled me for a complete physical.  I noticed that if I pushed up on my inner thighs the once tight skin now bunched together like skin without filling.  The filling was depleted.  My physical came back fine.  I went to a dermatologist who said this was internal and asked if I had had my cortisol checked.  I went to an endocrinologist who looked at my legs and to my horror said - "I see what the elephant in the room is - old lady legs".  Talk about insensitivity.  I had gone thru about 9 months of unbelievable stress to the point that for about three months my body was trembling in the evening with worry.  I was on anti-depressants but it didn't help my high level of anxiety and worry that was physical.  The endo said my cortisol levels were "now normal" but suggested that they may have been high for a prolonged period of time.  Thru exhaustive research on my own I found some scientific studies that have demonstrated that high cortisol levels can prompt accelerated aging and most importantly degradation of collagen and elastin.  The effects of this are said to be the same as sun damage that a farmer might get.  In addition starting several months later I suddenly saw some pale blue veins showing under my eye and on my temples - it turns out skin thinning is another by-product of high cortisol levels.  I am no longer stressed and no longer depressed and my cortisol levels remain normal but the damage that was done is permanent.  It appears my collagen is damaged - I have done much research on this.  At the same time my knees started bothering me - significantly.  I never had knee pain before.  Thru my research I have concluded this is another by-product of degradation and slowing production of collagen.  Collagen makes up the cartilage that pads the knee joints - common sense tells me that is why this is happening.  It's very depressing.  I am considering human growth hormone therapy as I don't want to accept these changes.
You are so right! A year ago, April 3rd 2014, after going to this dentist/endo-specialist, I came out alright until about walking two blocks away after visit I got this sudden dry mouth incident and the effect of a rush, with the speed of light, from one side of my upper gums to the other side of the mouth. This was so intense I gasped for air and the first reaction was to rinse my mouth/thinking I've been exposed to ??? and drink water to be able to actually 'swallow'. This was just the start of a constant need to replenish of fluids/water, DEHYDRATED. By the end of June of same year, divorced, 'off' of the dating scene and happiest than ever been in my life, I encountered some stress while trying to meet a project deadline...soon after I got a bloody blister, in upper right hand palm, and a couple of small round blister between two my right hand fingers, all symptoms imaginable and THIS CREPE LOOKING SKIN ON MY HANDS AND ARMS. AWFUL LOOKING! I later notice my upper legs look like I was older more like a 70 or 80 years old woman, AS MY MUSCLE MASS HAD DECREASED ABOUT 30%. In my fifties I looked from behind like a 25 years old woman, which many a times I caught disappointment in men's faces when they took a second look at my face. Sorry, but my routine of going to the gym 4-5x/wk and 3x/wk yoga raw foodist/organic food/non-restaurant/non-processed eater/consumer and great genes and family history I'm sure contributed to. Being a dietitian/heatlh coach/personal trainer YOU THINK you can
have control of your health and health outcome. NO! This explains very well our being connected in more ways that we want to be. When you go to a professional 'seeking their help', you might get it or might not, because it all depends on what this professional has in plan for you. Yes you may be in one of a 'targeted group'. In my case I was candid enough to share with my dermatologist of 25+ years that I thought the endo/dentist exposed me to it. He turned on me becoming the lead support, followed by the pcps of the dentist, they called my rash, shingles. I became an observer of respected professionals faking ignorance, none of them were listening to my contribution/ suggestions. I got out of the insurance, went private and that's how I found out that I'd even been walking with Strep-throat for close to five months, and that was only the beginning... As a health coach I tried everything on earth I knew to fix the problem, but only the MDs can requests lab tests, I've known better on how to go around the system since then, though.
I think people need to be more aware of what's going on...

*I BELIEVE I WAS EXPOSED TO A DESICCANT THAT RESULTED IN MY DEHYDRATION, PROCEEDING TO LOSS OF MUSCLE AND CREPE SKIN APPEARANCE.

*I IMPROVED IT BY ABOUT 10% BY TAKING IN NATURAL COLLAGEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH, INCREASING MY RESISTANCE TRAINING BY 10% AND CONTINUING MY EXERCISE ACTIVITIES RELIGIOUSLY AND LISTENING TO MY BODY. When I go for food shopping I only shop for what by body calls for...don't take a list with me...listen to your body, your body can help self repair.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL, AND PROTECT YOURSELVES BY EDUCATING YOURSELVES ON YOUR BODY, and your HEALTH. Besides take pharma-based/professional medicine ...with a grain of salt...!  

With Love for all,
jean
Hi Daisyee,

I hope this doesn't sound gross, but I've improved my 'induced' crepe skin by taking home-made collagen. I do this by boiling collagenous tissue from animals such as beef, I use cows feet. This takes hours to make but you can store it in the refrigerator for five days to a week. After you make a broth, I add lots of garlic, onions and little salt. Drink at least a cup/day preferably on an empty stomach, everyday. I used to be a raw foodist who turned to this by critical need. You can use lab made collagen they sell  this in supplements stores. Find out more on the internet. It had help my skin lots, it can be a source of calcium too.

With best intentions
Good Luck,
jean
I found capris swim bottoms at llbean and am so much happier wearing them!
Hello Sister Women,
all this is alarming. Getting old is not for the weak at heart. Everything you all describe are natural effects of getting old. Men have it too, they get bald and fat and have cellulite, but the difference is that our culture still values them as attractive simply because they are males and this is a male dominate society.  What we need to do is to embrace our aging and love ourselves. You cannot stop the aging process and the cosmetic surgeries leave you looking like a burn victim. Stop and ask yourself...why do I feel ugly at this stage? And please come to facebook to Our Sister's Circle and share your experiences. Thanks.
I am 64 and so down about my crepey upper arms and saggy knees. So glad I found this forum! I have always been an exerciser and where I currently work out I am surrounded by women in their 30's. I so enjoy them but iam the ONLY one with the crepey skin and I feel so self-conscious. I will try to cut back on my coffee now. Also calling doc today about IPL for upper arms and its efficacy. Many of your comments make me smile!
I hope you are still watching this forum.  Just wanted you to know that I did exactly what you mentioned.  I found one of the best endocrinologists in the country who specializes in menopause.    
I am  just one month into therapy and on just a very low dose of estradiol at this time.  But will certainly be adding progesterone and testo to the mix after I get my estradiol level up.  
I may not ever look 45 again, but gosh darn it, is it too much to ask to have energy, good sleep, libido, and be happy.  Those tiny chemicals affect every cell in our bodies.  I'm not willing to give up, on who I have always been.
This getting older thing -------.  (Fill in the blank)
i am so glad i bumped into this amazing forum. Thank you for being so honest. Thank god i can now be honest with you girls
So not fair it's a general girlie problem. And like you girls, have noticed 'changes' in the inner tights and creepy flabby bingo wings even if I work out!
I am 43. Diagnosed approaching early menopause a couple of months ago, i freaked out. Stress i believe was the deterrent for this hiccup in my hormonal balance. It helped deep meditation and, surprise surprise, my addiction to extreme stuff is paying off!
Cold water. Just bathe every day if you can, in cold hopefully natural running water. Gets rid of the stress almost immediately. AND you will see a change in your skin. The colder the better.A half minute dip (not the head) breathing deeply, but starting gently with your body. Then increase. Tingly energy will flush through your body.
I sadly live in London but usually go back to my beloved Dolomites to bathe there.
People might think you are a nutter, so get ready. Keep the secret. :-)
and meditate.
I usually use extra virgin olive oil on my wet skin. not bad, too. I tried in the past different body creams as the water in London is crap. Nothing is better than olive oil. Not oily, not smelly.
Taking fish oils supplements and hyalunoic acid, and Alpha lipoic acid.
I hope this thread is still alive.
and meditate.
I hope this thread is still alive.
and meditate.
I hope this thread is still alive.
It's strange, this didn't happen to me until I recently turned 72. My arms weren't fabulous, but pretty good – and then suddenly, almost overnight it seemed, they got crepey and thin-skinned, loose … they've just kind of suddenly really LOST it. Gee whillikers! I wasn't expecting this. Dare I take hormones, I ask myself? But I don't answer. (Bio-identical of course, and probably only progesterone .. )
"Exposed to a dessicant?" What / how? I have the same symptoms.
hi, I just read your post from 2013.  DITTO for me now.  I live in florida as well.  Just wondering, did you find anything that works?
Please let me know.  I HATE THIS!!!
I am a 41 year old woman and have a one year old. Recently when I am holding him, my forearms stay wrinkly for a long time, and I feel this has happened rather quickly...now my upper arms triceps are not looking as good. Sure I lost weight but have always been skinny, and have always had a battle with dry skin...Does anyone have any advice? Stop breastfeeding? I wonder if I should get bone density testing already as my family has osteo problems...any thoughts?
I have experience so many of the same things that I had just read on the side. I have tried every possible cosmetic that might help...to no avail. I have experienced wrinkles very quickly, sagging and crepey arms all I've lost a lot my hair, it is getting thinner on a daily basis and nothing seems to help. I have friends 15 years older than me who look 15 years younger than me if anyone has any suggestions or anythingplease post a comment!
I have seriously wrinkly skin on my arms and thighs. This happened pretty quickly and I like many of you am going around in long sleeves and slacks or yoga pants.  To the person who posted get a pair of weights and get over it (I paraphrase). To others who understand the problem and mentioned weight gain.  Weights will not do the job if one has sever loss of skin elasticity.  There are  also those of us who are limited by osteoarthritis in the use of weights. Also, for me anyway, weight gain has not helped. Well meaning people told me that I was too thin. I have gained 12 pounds and not an ounce has gone to my arms.To the opinionated person who said quit wanting to be a cute young thing forever: You have not a clue as to what is in our minds; I guarantee that it has nothing to do with being a cute young thing.

On a more positive note, I am going to try the suggestions about supplementing with magnesium and iodine.  Thank you for your suggestions.
Any feedback from when the post started, Has anything worked?
I have crepey skin under my arms by my arm bit and cellulite too. Will try oils and magnesium and cold water!
Also on neck and knees! I want to be able to wear nice clothes without feeling self conscious.I know getting old is a fact of life and yes it must be genetics if you have nice skin in your 60s etc.I don't have anyone who loves me and I need to love myself I don't want to be alone forever!
Ps I am a young 52, nursed 33 years non stop, lots of stress and am menopausal so its all downhill! I live in UK.
Thank you all for opening your hearts about this...  I too am mourning the loss of my former physical self, and so disgusted with the ugly hag in the mirror I can't bring myself to leave my house more than twice a month for quick errands.  My heart, intelligence, experience, soul self knows a physical Shell is meaningless.....I feel as though my attractive self has died... I am 52, yes the arms are hideous don't hide them because I rarely risk being seen.... spent my life working on my internal not external self ..and yet the collective media mind with respect to wrinkled old women makes me ashamed to be seen by anyone including my own children.    
I am sorry you are also struggling with these awful changes! Did you go through menopause naturally? By that I mean did you not have any gynecologic procedures or other medical treatments such as radiation or chemo that caused or hastened reduced ovarian hormones?
No chemo or drug therapies... menopause a couple of years ago...but you raise an important point... is lack of estrogen causing me to look  old before my time... also I really appreciated the women who explained that they never thought they were beautiful or put much stock in it.... if it is this painful for those of us who concentrated on developing our entire selves vs. superficial beauty....it must be many times worse for women considered beautiful their entire lives.  In my case I didn't acknowledge what I had until it was gone.... magnesium, some black cohosh, wild yam, and blesses thistle may fix this up.. thank you for responding to my post.  
Glad to hear yours is "natural" not that it makes it less devastating! Mine was VERY abrupt / dramatic after my organs were needlessly removed. In just 4 months' time, I lost a LOT of hair, skin collagen / subcutaneous fat, muscle mass, gum tissue, vision, etc. Like you, I avoided going anywhere and still do to some degree. But I cannot hide forever...at least my peers are starting to show their age a little!
I don't drink coffee, or anything caffeine and still have the sagging, crepe paper skin problem. sigh.
I have been reading all these comments and one thing I noticed is that all the women here have experienced sudden onset of the sagging, crepe paper skin...no matter what the age. I am 69 and have noticed this onset in the last six months. I have talked to women I know that are younger than I am that have had this in the same time period. I am now wondering what is happening that is affecting all women, all ages, whether they drink water, coffee, exercise, lost or gained weight, etc. There has to be a common denominator. What is it?
Its a relief on the one hand to see so many ladies are going through this rapid aging process, and terrifying on the other that No One has really found a way to slow it down much!!
I'm 48 - no kids, have always eaten healthy and exercised several times a week. I always had great hair, beautiful skin, fantastic muscle tone and the sex drive of a teenage boy!  In fact until I was 40 I never even thought about aging - people always assumed I was at least 10 years younger.  Then in my early 40s I started noticing loss of volume in my face and some expression lines - hey, no problem Botox and Juvederm easily fixed that. I decided to go into medical esthetics so I would have easy access to everything I needed to stay young!

Over the last several years I have tried injectables and lasers,creams and supplements, had a breast augmentation (for sagging) and still find myself on the precipice of severe depression over the changes that are happening in my body. Hair loss, sagging skin, loss of muscle tone (and I mean severe loss), lack of a sex drive (even though my fiance is a sexy man 15 years my junior!), and the lowest self esteem I've ever experienced in my life. Oh yeah and the worst symptom of all - painful sex!!! I literally feels like I've gone from 40 to 65 in the space of one year. I mean there is a difference between seeing SIGNS of aging, and looking/feeling like you have the body of a geriatric.

I am in perimenopause - my hormones are all low and I am hypothyroid. A year ago I started with thyroid hormone replacement which helped somewhat with weight gain and hair loss, but not totally. It took me a year to give into the idea that I need to take sex hormones, so I have recently started with compounded testosterone, bio identical estrogen cream and some progesterone,  For me hormones are a double edged sword since they often cause more harm than good - weight gain and hair loss being two of the things that have happened to me in the past with BC pills. That being said I've been told that balance of all of these things WILL improve my muscle tone, slow down hair loss, help my sagging skin, improve my sex drive and help with the painful sex!!

I don't believe hormones will do it alone - I believe you also have to follow a whole foods diet, workout regularly, take supplements, and add a few anti aging treatments in the mix to trick the eye!! If anyone has had any success with HRT I'd love to hear about it.  I am not going down without a fight!!
Hello,there!
I've been reading all these posts and can relate to practically every one of them. The realisation that we truly are younger inside than our bodies will allow us to be is a very difficult admission to make,especially as these days life and outlook is so very different for us all and we simply do NOT wish to give in and give up!!

Well,I'm 67 and when I'm in bed late at night reading as I like to do before sleep I now tend to see without warning the changes in my arms as they hold up an especially heavy book!!...however,seeing some of the posters in their younger years than myself makes me realise how very lucky I really am,three years from being 70......OMG!!!

However,I do realise that at my age I cannot expect to be as I once was even at thirty,forty or even fifty years of age....I have been thoroughly lucky all throughout them even as a sun-lover to have been blessed with pretty good skin.
  So,on reading all the very many posts here and the very many remedies or mere acceptances of that's life and so,long sleeves it is from now on....all I can personally advise is the usual cliché..."You are what you eat"...or,in other words what nourishes you from the inside will definitely affect the outside.
   To be honest,it makes sense,doesn't it,really?
  I happily admit to using the usual serums and lotions and potions outwardly but it has to said that inward care surely has to be the most potent.
  Exercise and pounding away at stressful regimes is all very well for fitness and weight control but when it comes to mere skin beauty then whatever is going inside leads to a glow outwardly.
   As I said,I'm 67 but I'm always being complimented on my facial looks as being considered younger...(I am quite happy to refer you all to me as geminiwednesday16 on YouTube...you can also then googleplus me if you wish..).....and as for inner skin care I make certain every single morning to take two 1,000mg of cod liver oil capsules, 1 rosehip 2000mg and 1 zinc 15mg without fail to cover all aspects of health issues as I suffer asthma,therefore take care to look after breathing problems with the zinc and rosehip.....the cod liver oil obviously helps moisturise skin and with joint function,too.  I've been doing this for years now and will continue.

I admit to being a bit over weight in modern ideals but at the same time I feel I've reached 67 years in not too bad a shape and still enjoy life,can easily walk to town two miles away,sit cross-legged on my floor to listen to music,enjoy an entire day out walking around areas on the Isle of Wight when my brother visits from London.....so,all in all I'm not doing too badly.  Not an athlete but happily doing day to day activity and walking lots when I'm in the mood,some days a mile or three,sometimes none but whatever I feel like.  I never want to feel regimented in anything...(might be the Gemini aspect,lol!)

But...truly,inner lubrication and nourishment as far as I'm concerned are the key. Maybe being overweight is a problem for many,yes,but there again maybe a few extra pounds is not so bad if it has all been as a result of maybe eating lots of good stuff...there is always the perception that extra weight is a result of bad eating?!
   Not stones and stones extra,naturally....but perhaps a few odd "filling" pounds might not be such a bad thing once past 50!

Anyway,I realise that a forum such as this holds many views and opinions so I wish all of you well and you know what??....being a little wrinkly and interesting and genuinely having had a life to testify to all that is a jolly sight better than the alternative,ladies and gentlemen!

Lots of older "greats" such as Judi Dench,Helen Mirren,Sean Connery prove that there is something rather special in being older and owning a certain charisma; we've all seen pictures of the most wonderful Native Americans,Aztecs,Maoris,Gypsies,Zulus etc.etc. who would be nothing without the character that age has portrayed within them.

We now live in a plastic,bland,superficial age.  Time to make a stand and do the best we can to delay it if we can but embrace the other,more sublime beauty if we can't.

I have read so many post on this site and everyone says the same thing it happened so fast. That to is the case with me. When I was about 51, I was standing at the kitchen sink when all of sudden I was so weak in my legs I fell down. As the next few days past it kept happening to me so, I started to really look at my legs and noticed how thin they were. I took a tape measure and measured around the top of my thighs. In a matter of 3 weeks I lost 4" around my thighs so I called and made a DR'S appointment. He sent me through a battery of test and it came back that I have a muscle disease. So far they can only say severe muscle loss. Then it was one DR after another and now I am 60. They all told me it's either MS or Polymyositis. I have all the muscle loss in my arms, legs and it's just consuming my body. I have always been thin but now I look like a walking skeleton. My legs are of little use to me, ( When this all started they all told me I would be in a wheelchair in 6 months. Needless to say I'm not, but it's coming to that point. Everyone seems to think they can exercise this back but it won't ever come back. The type of muscle lose and sagging skin is muscle that just can't rebuild itself. I have been from DR A to Z and they all say the same. Physical therapy won't help either. I just want a name put to this disease and yes this is a real Disease. Eating this or that won't help, doing all the things I see people say they are doing is not going to work but I haven't read about anyone going to the DR. I use to be so proud of my body. I have always been so lucky I can eat anything I want never gain weight, don't have to exercise and now I look and feel 100+ years old. I don't know about anyone else but I don't look at myself, won't let my husband see me naked doesn't do wonders for the sex life. And I am post menopausal. My dr. put me on hormones but it didn't help. But the worst part is, there is much pain that comes with this disease. I picked you to post to since you are very worried and I hope people will start going to a DR .So far along with the muscle disease I have a bone disease called Madelung's Bone deformity, fibromyalgia, several arthritis's and the list just gets longer. All of this happened to me just like every story people are writing about. I can't take many meds because I am allergic to most pain meds and about everything else to. I am even allergic to vitamins. I will see a new neurologist in December maybe this time I will get a name to this horrible disease. After reading so many post it appears there is a lot of people that started around the same age bracket. Please start by going to a DR. Don't feel bad my dad is 90 and we compare arms and I win I have more sagging skin then he does! Have a Great day and I know this post is a little late year wise but I just thought I'd put my 3 cents in.
Everybody on the internet looks 20 years younger than they are supposedly.

Nobody, not even the most well kept celebrities, looks 20 years younger than they are. Our skulls and facial shapes actually change, aging us in ways that no skincare can help. Our eye sockets widen and lengthen, sinking our eyes (different people to different degrees). It happens so slowly we don't notice it but it's happening. This is one of the reasons our skin gets loose, as it doesn't fit. It's not all coming down to inelastic, aging loose skin. Sure that's part of it but there's more to it than that.

Ten years, yes, but if people are telling you that you look 20 years younger than you are, they're flattering you.  Stand next to someone 20 years younger and see if they still say that. I'm not a troll, it's just that after 12 years of reading skincare forums this is such a common fib that people tell.
Just wanted you to know  you are not alone. I also had  and unwanted hysterectomy  two years ago (I am now 65).  Was bullied / scared  into the surgery with  diagnosis of " possible  ovarian cancer "by my former   Gynecologist .  No pre-surgery hormonal testing was done, even though I requested it. There was no discussion of skin issues as possible side effects .
But noticed Big changes after surgery. Skin and hair especially. Hair was thinning .Arms and thighs began to look like  elephant skin .  And muscle tone has been very slow at returning.  At 5'6" and 140, I took/ take fitness classes 2x a week and am active walker, gardener, etc. Have always taken vitamin Bs but have added  collagen booster and magnesium , to help with recovery. Will add gelatin, and check out different salts. BTW coconut oil feels great on skin and smells better than most others. Thanks for all the info! Nice to know others are working on this as well!
Its been a few years since the sudden crepiness that occurred on my thighs and arms.. and now I have another problems, deep crevices of lines across the tops of my wrists...... 3 deep lines stretching across the top of the wrist.  These deep lines have appeared over the last month or so.  I hope more don't show up.  This rapid aging is a killer.   I don't go out anymore without complete cover up, i have taken to wearing kimonos in summer as will not wear a tank or sleevless dress.  I also have to cover my toes due to unslighly fungus.  I am literrally disgusting naked.  The only thing holding up is my eyes.  My hair is very dry, grey and sparse.  I had to cut all my hair off.  I have alot of pain in my feet and lower back.  This is all menopause girls.  I am 50 and don't really want to go on hormones.  That millenium study scared me offf.
Try for sleeping: 1. low carb after 5pm and 2. GABA. You can get GABA at the drug store. Those are the only things that have worked for me.