MEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Penis retracting into body
by shannonwooten, Mar 27, 2007
My husband fell on his penis when he was younger while at a skating ring- he is now 20. Ever since then, he had a indention above his penis. Another symptom is that his penis retracts into his body when his adrenaline gets going. He would literally have to pull it out before it goes all the way in.

I have tried looking up these symptoms but only found one thing called "Penis Panic" pretty much saying that its a beliefe where men think their penis is going to retract into their body and disapear. Well, this def is not something in his head, lol... really happens.

Anyone else heard of this? He went to the doc- the doc is going to call him back cause he doesnt know what it could be.

Thanks in advance,
Shannon
Member Comments (246)
by osteodoc10, Mar 27, 2007
Is he overweight? anatomically I cant see how this would happen.
by shannonwooten, Mar 28, 2007
No, he is not overweight. Good shape, we are both in the Army.

Adrenaline causes it... when he is scared. Throughout working out, he has to pull it when it starts going in.

I don't see how its happening... but it does....
by shannonwooten, Mar 29, 2007
No luck on finding anything online... I looked awhile.

The only thing I could find is something called "Penis Panic" Which is pretty much a beliefe that this condition is a fear that men have... that it doesnt really happen.

Well... it really happens... lol

The doc said he would call him back abou tit... its been 3 days... :-/
by msniki412, Mar 29, 2007
hmm...that seems odd, but im not saying that it doesnt happen. i just never heard of anything like that before...time to do a little research
by Trialanderror, Mar 30, 2007
You are right, it is hard to find anything on this. There is only one other symptom mentioned on the net: genital lymphoedema. On a lymhoedema website it mentioned in just one line that after injury or surgery sometimes parts of genitals can develop sudden swelling and oddly enough it mentions swelling of the scrotum that makes the penis temporarily retract into the scrotum. There is no further explanation but maybe that`s another clue. Maybe a urologist can arrange an ultrasound as well to determine what kind of physical damage is present since your husband`s injury. Hope some of this helps...
by shannonwooten, Mar 30, 2007

Yes, I am serious.
Well, maybe it is somehow detached. He noticed this problem (as well as the indention above his penis) after he fell at the skating ring when we was a kid (on top of his penis). He said that it does slip under, and not over. He doesn't have a small penis... bit on the bigger side. He said that it is def retracting in... if it goes to far, he has to get hard for it to come out. It only happens when his adrenline kicks in, no other time. It happens on a daily basis since we work out everyday in the army. He said while working out, he'll have to tug on it so it doesnt retract.

Maybe it does sound like a silly joke but there's no joke here. He went to the doc on Wednesday... the doc said he had no idea what it was, that he was going to try to find out and call him back.... he hasn't called back yet.
by osteodoc10, Mar 30, 2007
Well, when you look at the anatomy of that area, there is really no where for a penis to go. The base of the penis is tightly attached to the pubic bone by the suspensory ligament of the penis. Now, if it were somehow detached from this suspensory ligament, it could possibly be slipping under the pubic bone into the perineal space (which isnt much of a space). There is really no possible way that this is happening unless he has a very small penis, or he has a very major anatomical defect.
Can you give some more information? Does the penis slip under the pubic bone (the bone that you can feel just above the penis) or over it?
It could possibly be slipping over the pubic bone and into the inguinal canal just under the skin.
Also, do the testicles go with the penis? And lastly, are you serious or are you joking?
by osteodoc10, Mar 31, 2007
Have you ever seen this happen?
by shannonwooten, Mar 31, 2007
Well no swelling is present when it happens. Yes, I bet an ultrasound will def help.

No, I haven't personally seen this, since its when he gets scared- its not like he gets scared/his adrenline gets going... then would pull down his pants to show me, lol.

But, I do notice that he would pull at his pants daily, everytime I ask why- he says it cause of that problem. Mainly working out or so.