Multiple Sclerosis Community
Baclofen not working anymore

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Baclofen not working anymore

Hi everyone, just curious if anyone else has ever experienced an effectiveness of their baclofen? I had been taking 10mg 3x day for about 9 months (spasms were under control and life was good) up until a minor car accident resulted in a flare up of my thoracic spasms, so the doc upped my dosage to 20mg 3x day.  This seemed to not give me any relief.  Has anyone else had baclofen just stop working?  Thanks to some angels on this forum I talked with my doc and she has put me on Zanaflex 4mg 2x a day.  That was three days ago and I think it I'd helping because I am getting some control of the pain now.  Not sure if I should stop taking the baclofen or give it a chance once this flare subsides...??
I can't comment on Baclofen per say but my neuro is constantly changing my meds because they stop working. Not sure that they stop working as much as my body gets use to them.

I would call your neuro and get his/her advice. There may be something you can take during the flair that will help better than the baclofen and then you can go back to the baclofen when the flair is over.

Take Care,
Paula
I'm on 60 mg of baclofen a day, and my neuro says that it's better for me to supplement with zanaflex, rather than take more baclofen.  I take those as needed.

Car wrecks can really cause havoc with your system.  I tend to go into a flare after a minor injury.
The Bacflofen was not working for me. I take one mg of Zanaflex 4 x a day 150 Trileptal 4x a day with the Zanaflex and a Butrans pain patch 5mcg. I was taking more Zanaflex and Trileptal but was able to cut them in half with the Butrans patch. The key for me is keeping on schedule with medication.

Everyone is different. The Doctors kept adding medications until I was taking medications because of problems with medications. My MS Specialist sent me to a pain clinic and they wanted to add more to a long list, this just tipped the scales and got me sick. I also thought my MS had gotten really bad because I couldn't function. This made no sense to me.

Another Doctor got me in with another pain clinic. I slowly got off a bunch of medications before going with my Doctors help. Now I take a few that are giving me my life back.

I do have pain but, I can live with the amount I have. My spasticty is much better. I used to have diaphragm spasms every couple of weeks. I no longer have them. I could may be function a couple hours a day.

Now fatigue and not pain is my biggest issue. I spend more time horse back riding and training my Service Dog.

Alex

One of the nice things about baclofen is that tolerance development either doesn't occur or does so very slowly.  Even people who need an intrathecal pump can often stay on the same dosage for long periods of time (think years).

HOWEVER the severity of spasticity can - and does - change, especially when an event like an accident happens to spur in on.

I'd check with your doc again as you feel better to get directional signals about where to go.  If the baclofen worked before it will probably work again as you return to your baseline.  He might have you keep Zanaflex on hand for 'special' times.

You also might ask about more frequent dosing verses higher dosing.  Both drugs have rather short windows of activity.  It doesn't always work well to take a drug every 8 hours when it has given up it's power after six.  More preventative and even relief might get you better relief in the end.

Wishing we were as sturdy as our cars.
Feel better soon.
Mary