Better Guitar Last Night
I played a short set at my neurologist's party last night, after taking Jen's advise and not practicing the day of a performance.  In fact the only thing I did yesterday was laundry and a lot of resting.  I still was only good for about 20 minutes before my arm/hand was absolutely shot.  But the mistake factor was way down from last week!  I'm feeling better about this!  

I had trouble walking all evening, and my hubby had to help me down the stairs on the way home.  Slept like a rock!

Cheers,
Guitar_grrrl
Great!

Alex
I'm happy to hear that you did so well!  Are you still smiling?

Happy Hugs,

Kathy
Excellent! I am so happy that you did well and the mistake factor went way down!!!

Ren
Hey, GG, I'm glad that resting up before the performance helped.  Those muscles will only take so much exercise.

A thought, if the places you play are often  warm, you might try a cool down before playing, but keep your hands warm.  If you are playing in a warm room, the added heat and the effect that it has on your body could also affect your finger strength and your coordination.  I say keep your hands warm while you cool down, because I find that - while I feel better when cold - my muscles are stiffer, and I am less capable of fine coordination.

I'm happy for you that you can continue to perform!

Quix
Hey Guitar-grrl

Glad you had a good gig. How long have you been playing guitar?

I play bass with a blues/rock trio, but we haven't done a show lately because my latest flare has really kicked be in the backside.

My husband, aka lead guitarists, fusses because I don't practice like I normally do - but if I practice a lot beforehand, I can't play when I have to. A couple of weeks ago, we rehearsed, and it was like my right hand just didn't want to cooperate - I had to concentrate really hard to hit the right string when I normally play our set list with ease. Those listening said I ddin't miss a note, but they had no idea the extra effort it was taking - and I felt like I didn't play so well.

I fear that I may be at a point where I have to give up playing the 5-set evenings. I can't even carry my own equipment anymore and have to sit on a stool - which is a bummer when you're playing rock-n-roll.

Best of luck!

Cass

I really envy you both
I used to play rythm/lead in a 60's/70's/80/s cover band called the Jury (there were 12 of us) but 5 years ago I had to give up as I could not make it to1am and after
Now I have not picked up guitar for about 3 years and my hands and fingers shake so much that I cannot even tune

Hopefully 1 day I will come across to the states and have a chance to hear you both
take care
John
That would be great - I'd love to cross the ocean myself. Our last CD got a good bit of airplay on some stations in France, and we were actually considerng a trip over there back in February - but I got really down, and our drummer broke his foot and ankle.

It will be hard if I have to give up playing, but if it takes my singing voice, that will be the worst. I've had a lot of trouble with swallowing and my speach. One time during a gig, my voice went completely out on me. I nodded to my husband to take the song out with a lead break, and he had to carry all the vocals for the rest of the night.

GG - where do you play?
Glad you had a good night of playing! That is excellent!
Michelle
I know what you mean about your hands and arm. I have the same issue. I've been playing for a while but my left side has a lot of weakness. I have a lot of trouble with power chords and I don't have the strength if I have to stretch 3 frets for very long. My fingers will start to cramp like crazy.

I've been getting back, practicing lately and playing out, but I only can last maybe 2-3 songs at best before my hands give. Recently, I was on stage for the first time, playing a song, and my hand got a tremor in it. I recovered pretty fast, and covered up the mess up, but I knew what happened. I was just glad nobody else did.

Glad you had a good night :)
Yay!  Glad to hear it - it's reassuring, isn't it?  

I also have a lag in my right hand when I'm tired.  I'm normally a good rhythmic player, but I've found that my hand just won't *go* when I'm tired.  And my endurance is low - I can get maybe an hour, maybe two with breaks, before I give out.  I feel fortunate that at least the problem is only in my right hand (knock on wood!)  At least I can fret without much difficulty, even if I can't strike the string at the right time.