Bifrontal white matter flair hyperintensities
My 22 year old daughter has been suffering from migraines 2-3 times per week for 6 years now. After codeine and other over the counter pain killers didn't help anymore she finally had a MRI done. I am now trying to find her a good Neurologist in Brisbane/ Australia. Most have 3 months waiting time. Can somebody explain what "Bifrontal white matter flair hyperintensities" per her MRI report means? Is that something to worry about?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Worried Mom
I am not much help but maybe this website can be of help.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/pvm.htm
My neurologist explained that migraines can cause those types of spots to appear (I'm assuming that was on an MRI without contrast). If the spots were very small, the migraines may have caused them.

I'm so sorry that she is suffering from frequent migraines. I am fortunate to get headaches rarely (didn't even get my first one until I was 27!), so to me having frequent migraines seems unimaginably horrible. I hope she gets help with them soon.
FLAIR is a specific technique of MRI, sort of like taking pictures in different areas with different contrasts.  They use these for various reasons.  The spots you are talking about could be from her migraines.  It's saying there are spots on both sides of the brain in the white matter.  

A hyperintensity is a spot that shows up bright on the film.  These can be very minute in size and could be spots from all her migraines.

I'm surprised to hear she has been taking codeine when there are so many effective meds specifically for migraines.  Can your PCP prescribe something else?  I had migraines for a short time and took Midrin which is an old drug.

Twice a week for her is very high.  Is there a way she can be seen earlier?  Are you worried about MS for other symptoms?

Red
Thanks for explaining all that MRI language. Feeling a bit better now. Found her a highly recommended Professor of Neurology in Brisbane with only 6 weeks waiting time. Yes MS was on my mind when I googled her MRI results. The Codeine helped her for nearly 6 years, but her pattern had suddenly changed. That's when she FINALLY saw a GP. My husband and I have been suggesting for years to find the cause for those regular Migraene. Her being a nurse kept insisting if the medics can stop the pain no reason to worry.
jaspi