Multiple Sclerosis Community
Chin to Chest

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Chin to Chest

Hi Everyone!  Good Morning.

Does anyone have trouble putting their chin to their chest?  I'm trying to figure out what is going on with me, I thought about spinal meningitis, because I was sick for like 2 weeks and still have a low grade fever 2 months later.  

I cannot put my chin to my chest without HORRIBLE pain doing down my back into my legs.  Anyone else have this?  Or do I just have a really bad crink in my neck (been like this for over a month).

Should I call the doctor or wait until my neurological appointment on the 10th?

Thanks,
Victoria
Hi there,

Does your neck hurt (like you described a "crick") when you flex it?  And, does it hurt other wise? i.e., side to side? The 10th is not too far away if you can hold out.

Chronic fever is nothing to mess with, maybe a trip to the regular MD in the meantime to see what is going on will help.

Thanks for joining us!
See you around,
-Shell
Thanks for responding.  It doesn't hurt when I tilt it backwards.  I have a dull ache at the base of my head and neck (where they meet or whatever) and my back is achy too, like directly down my spine (pretty much all the way down).  It's been going on for a while now.

It hurts just a little when I turn it side from side, but nothing like the pain when I tilt it downwards.

I also have a tingling on the left side of my body (which has been there for months now).  

My fever is so low, like 100.4-101.0.  So I haven't brought it up to my doctor yet, plus with all these pains and issues I've been having, I didn't want her to think I was crazy.

Thanks again.

Victoria
I have the problem when I move my head down, I get an electric shock feeling in my leg. It is called l'hermitte's. It is cause by a leasion in my c-spine, however it is not accompanied by a fever.

You should really have it checked out if it is accompanied with a fever, better to be safe than sorry.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Paula
I think I am going to take a trip to the hospital.  My temp is 100.9 now and the pain in the back of my head/neck is getting worse.  The pain down my back is getting worse too.

I will let you all know how it goes.
good luck, Victoria! I hope they figure out what is going on!
~Jess
Definitely get that looked at - a low grade temp is enough to keep you in a flare with the MS.  And a low grade temp is a sure indicator that something is wrong.  Stop ignoring this, please?

feel better, Lulu
So I just got back from the ER.  Got brushed off AGAIN!  They said I have a neck strain!!!!  WTF???

The first lady took my temp, said I had a temperature and when I asked for a blanket she said no because I had a temp.  The doctor came in, said I don't have a temp (he didn't take it or even feel my head).  Looked at my neck.  Told me to put my arms up in front of me (my left one is very shaky), told me to squeeze his hands (again, my left one is weaker).  Then felt the back of my neck, bent it towards my chest (I am crying at this point), then said "Oh...I think you have a neck strain".

I laughed at him and he said "well there isn't anything we can do about your neurological problems, just keep your appointment".  I told him I had a neuro appointment on the 10th becasue of suspicion of MS.  He gave me a script for flexeril and vicodin (10mg and 500mg).  Which we all know doesn't help too much when the burning or itching or anything really.

I called my doctor (spoke to nurse).  Told her what happened and she said "wow, he didn't test you for anything?".  I said "No, nothing, he barely even looked at me".  I start crying she said that she will have the doctor talk to me because she doesn't know what to say.  

I'm waiting for a call back from them, but am so PISSED off at the ER.  I am so upset I was even crying all the way home.

When I got home I took my temp.  It says 101.8.  WTF?!?!?!?!

Thanks for all the well wishes.
Well, just to be safe, go ahead and take something to bring your temperature down.  Neurological problems can be made worse by overheating.  

It's possible that you're having neck spasms which appear to be a neck strain.  It's also possible that you have a neck strain which is causing your other problems - at this point it's hard to say.
Is it at all possible that you have an infection someplace else?  Bladder infections are very common in MS patients.  If you have a fever from infection that could cause the headache and sore neck.

Mary
That's kinda what I was thinking - a fever will bring on other aches and pains, especially if there's some neurological damage.  
There is no reason for him to treat you that way.  He was abrupt and dismissive with you. His cavalier manner when discussing or mentioning the neurological disease you have is reprehensible.  

The only positive part of this is that he gave you some pain medicine and the muscle relaxer may help if you are having a spasm in your neck area.  

Like you  were told above, I would suggest taking ibuprofen along with your muscle relaxant.  

The other possiblity is going to an urgen care place.  They will have more time to spend with you.  ER docs deal with so much trauma that they have difficulty with anything else.

Red

I agree that

For whatever reason, doctors don't consider anything below
My doctor just called.  She is going to test me for Lyme Disease.  She didn't comment on my ER visit and said "I have a lot of messages to go through so we need to do this quickly".  Ugh...

Being brushed off for the millionth time!  

I did take something to bring my fever down, Ibuprophin about an hour ago.  It is now 100.6.  So it's gone down some.

The only place I could have gotten Lyme Disease is my dads house.  He lives on a farm.  We visit about once a month maybe twice a month.

The waiting continues.  At least the vicodin and flexeril take the edge off and make me focus on being dizzy instead of the pain.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and replies!

Victoria
Victoria,

Wow what a time you are having. I am so sorry that you have been treated like this both at the ER and the brush off from the doctor who has messages to return. One of those important messages was YOU!!!!

I suffer from everything that you listed off and on except I don't know about the fever because I don't have a good thermometer. Every time I take it the thing reads around 96 so I ask people if I feel hot and they say no just really clammy. Whatever I should get a new thermometer but not a top priority.

I take Tylenol and Aleve at the same time per doctors instructions and then Vicoden if needed (as well as my normal list of meds) and alternate ice and heat on my neck where it comes together with my head. Roll pillows in the crook of the neck seem to help a bit too.

When these "episodes" go on longer than I can endure them I go and get a message from  a wonderful lady that used to be an R.N. and it really makes a difference. Because I wait so long I usually need 1 1/2 hours to really make a difference though and some times I will do a couple of visits over 7 - 10 days.

Sorry that you are suffering & Good luck with getting to the bottom if this

Hugs,
Erin :)
Thanks for the tips Erin.

Once I can afford to get a massage I will try it.  I'd love to get one.

Victoria
Good luck and I really hope your doctor finds out what is going on with you. I know that feeling of not knowing can be really frustrating. Hang in there and be persistant with the docotrs after all they are working for you, you are paying them and they can be fired by you when you find another doctor. Keeping you in my prayers.

Paula