Multiple Sclerosis Community
Facial twitching

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Facial twitching

What is the verdict on facial twitching?  Is it related to MS?  It certainly can drive one batty . . .

I've been getting twitching in the muscle above my left ear and left cheek now for the past month.  I'm also getting twitching in my right lower eyelid, causing my vision to shake every 3-10 minutes.  It occurs for no reason, but can be elicited by closing my eyes hard or rubbing my eye.  

I am feeling stress and extreme fatigue right now.  I know that having MS doesn't rule out getting symptoms that the normal population gets, so it sure does make things confusing.

Anyone else have twitching that has persisted this long?  
Deb
I think it's definitely related to MS.  The disease attacks the myelin sheath around your nerves, and there's a lot more myelin in the nerves of your head.  So I think facial symptoms, like paresthesias and twitching, are pretty common.  

When I'm more stressed out, I get more frequent facial twitches.  But they happen when I'm not stressed, either.  

I have been dealing with my left lower eyelid twitching for the last 2 months, pretty much non-stop and then last Thursday I developed muscle twitching right under my eye and to the side of the eye, kind of like winking or something.  I did mention this to my Neuro the last time I was there and he said that it was more then likely from caffeine.  That was 3 weeks ago.  I stopped drinking coffee with caffeine in the morning (only drink dr-caffeinated) and the only soda I drink (if I drink any) is caffeine free.  I hate to say it but I think my neuro was wrong because there hasn't been a change in the twicthing or spasms seems like more actually.  
Hi there.. I have twitching on my top eyelid...only the right side.  It can effect my vision as well.  I'm guessing it's MS .. cause I also have problems with my right side of my face.  Numbness on my rightside of mouth at times.  

right now I'm having alot of Pain down the right side of my face.. and the twitching is almost daily... dull ache behind my right eye?

take care
wobbly
dx
I did away with caffeine long time ago because of tendency to develop migraines, so I know it's not that.  I do have all sorts of weird feelings in my face, too.  I feel like I'm drooling out of the side of my mouth, and will constantly pat at it to catch the "invisible saliva".  

The under the eye twitching is making me sleepy.  I just feel like closing my eyes and sleeping rather than keeping them open to see my vision bounce around.  LOL  
Hi there,
I have had the same symptom and it lasted for about 8 weeks and drove me insane!  It was forcing my eye to shut so much that it was distorting my vision, it has come back for a day here and there but not as bad as it was, I think mine might have been stress or migraine, I am not diagnosed with MS.

I didn't think I had a migraine at the time but apparently you can get eye migraines that don't give you the head pain.  At the time of my eye problems I had a lot of burning nerve pain in another part of my body (privates) that was causing me great stress and I now think that my twitching eye was from the stress of the burning as it seemed to disappear once my burning was under control.

I go to the neuro next week and I intend to ask him about it.
I had some weird feelings in my face too.

Cheers,
Udkas.
Glad i;m not the only one!
I get cluster type pain behind my left eye which makes it close & i cry from that eye only which freaks the boyfriend right out! (its been going on for about 2 months)
the entire left side of my face feels tingly & twitchy but the only that other people can see is my eye, that started on Friday but i notice now that my left hand is messing about now too.
RA!!

maybe more sleep will help with you? I know more sleep & rest helps me if i feel a relapse or anything coming,  might be worth a go?

Good luck x