Multiple Sclerosis Community
Flu virus and multiple sclerosis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Flu virus and multiple sclerosis

Right after Christmas this past month (2012) I got my allergy injections which I receive every month or more.. I get them  as I have asthma and allergies and I have never been bothered by them or had any side affects.  This year I got my allergy injections and later on that night I came down with the worst stomach flu that I've had since I was a teenager (I'm 67 now).  It came on so fast and so hard and had me in bed for several days.  Then I seemed to get better, but then, I came down with a bad cold -- no sore throat, swollen glands.

I have had MS for 30 years and have had very little trouble with it other than the fatigue and balance problems.  Now, I keep getting these periods of feeling awful and so drained that I have to lie down -- I'm completely drained.  If I get a good night's sleep I seem to be ok the next day, until I overdue it (doesn't take too much) and again I'm totally exhausted -- feel like a ragdoll or dishrag.  I haven't seen a doctor yet as I've been too ill.  I cannot get my immunizations until I feel better.  

What I would like to confirm is that it's true when MS patients get a virus, flu or cold it triggers a relapse.  About the only symptom I have is the extreme fatigue.  I'm going to try, once more, to see my doctor in two days.  He's an allergist and I'm not sure what to tell him or how to explain this whole thing.  Do you have any advice as to what questions I should ask?

Thank you
Pheefins
Welcome to the forum!  First, I just want to say how awesome I think it is, that you've had MS for 30 years, and are doing as well as you are!!!  I think your story would give hope to some of the newly diagnosed.  If you have the time, do you think you could post it for us?

As for the virus...  It's definitly possible.  Illness, surgery, extreme stress- all of these things can trigger a relapse. Whatever the cause is though, if you've been having symptoms for more than 24 hours, I think you should call your neurologist.  

Tammy
Hi, Pheefins007.

An infection certainly can trigger an MS relapse, though this is not automatic by any means. A relapse, in turn, can consist of solely of the awful fatigue you describe, so you're on target in connecting these in your mind.

On the other hand, you might now be still suffering from some other infection unrelated to MS. You really need to see your doctor. I'd suggest the primary one first, while notifying your neuro. You'll likely need blood work and so on.

Good wishes for feeling better quickly.

ess
Hi there,

The virus and infection and relapse has been explained so well I don't have anything to add. I've been fortunate to not go into relapse with virus or infection.

I have to say that this wretched stomach virus that is going around is absolutely horrible. It's hit 4 in my house, I've been spared for now. It's a complete body drainer for days if not over a week after even for the young and spry.  My youngest lost 10 lbs in 24 hours even after the wretching and potty woes was well over.

Dishrag explains it so well. That's what they look like. I keep them eating and drinking best I can (though the lingering gut pain limits that alot). But, once you can, I think you may feel that slow incline upward, well I hope you do for sure.

Been also keeping those drinks like ensure or something that have calories and vitamins in them it to help the process along.

Be well, and I hope you are on the med soon.  I hope it's just the viral your getting over.

Thanks for joining us!
-Shell