Multiple Sclerosis Community
Four abnormal MRIs

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Four abnormal MRIs

I have had 4 abnormal MRIs. They found white spots or lesions in my brain.They thought i had MS. I also had a lumbar puncture, evoked potential,and a full neck and spine MRI which all came back negative for lesions and MS. Thats what I was told by my neurologist. I do also have  Migraines, high blood pressure, Diabetes type 2 , Hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia, and severe feet pain, and probably some nuropathy in my legs and feet. I have lots of memory loss, short term specially. I have trouble making everyday simple decisions, my speech is affected. I am fatigued constantly, tired all the time, and am afraid to go out alone. I have fallen down a couple times, but not recently. My quality of life is not good for being only 47 yrs. old. I have been told that some of the lesions or white spots have gone and some new ones have come. And I have been told that the spots are still there too. I have also been told that I do not have any autoimmune diseases. I feel like i am going crazy! What could possible be worng with me? Could I still have MS? Or maybe something else? I have had so many tests done and no one seems to know what wrong with me! Can you help me???
Wow, you have a lot going on.  I am so sorry.  In your case, with positive findings on MRI, the doctor's have to come up with a reason why they have seen old and new lesions.  It's a process of elimination.  What does your Neurological physical exam show?

If you have old and new lesions, it represents an "attack" and a remission, then another "attack and another remission.  This is the way that MS presents.  

Is your Type II diabetes under control?  Do you take insulin?  Also is your high blood pressure under control, within normal ranges?  If these two conditions are being well-controlled they will not be causing damage.  Yes migraines can cause white spots in the brain, but the relapsing/remitting part of these lesions, does suggest MS.

One of these must now give you an answer for those lesions.  Do not let them off the hook.

Would you please keep us updated on your progress.  I am most interested in what the doctors come up with.  Please don't go in and tell them, that someone felt this was MS.  I am not a doctor, just a person with MS.  I am guessing here and trying to give it my best guess.

All good wishes to you dear heart,
Heather
Hi Heather,
   My diabetes is somehwat under control, I can say it could be better. Yes I do take insulin. I take about 20mg of Novolog, and about 80 mg of Levemir at night. My high blood pressure is very good right now. I am taking meds for it too. Last few doctors apps. it has been very good. I dont remember what my physical neurological exam showed. I am not even sure what that is. But I probably had it done, I just dont remember right now. All of my problems seem to be cognitive. I know there is something wrong in my brain. And it truly affects my daily life in a not so good way. And it makes me really sad that I cant get any answers. I dont have very good insurance, only state funded insurance. So I dont have that many choices in what doctors I can and cant see. Thanks for all your help and kindness! God Bless!
Even the state doctors should know a neurological disease when they find one...  With your history of symptoms and lesion activity in your brain, MS is a possibility.  

I would pursue a neuro-psych evaluation to determine how affected you are cognitively.  You can ask your neurologist to refer you to a psychologist for evaluation.  A neuro-psych will point out the specific problems that you're having with thinking.  It can also give the neurologist more information for a diagnosis.  It turns out that as much as 80% of people with MS have some sort of cognitive problem.

I began noticing problems thinking soon after my flare in 2007.  I kept telling the neurologist this, but he blew me off.  So finally I asked for a neuro-psych exam 'as a baseline for future comparison' because even if I wasn't impaired, I would need some sort of record of where I was diagnostically.  Turns out I have moderate impairment in a few areas, with an overall diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment.  I have other skills which remain largely unaffected, so I manage to compensate.