Multiple Sclerosis Community
Gastrointestinal Problems

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Gastrointestinal Problems

This past week I have had horrible gastro problems. My digestion is sooo sluggish. I can hardly eat anything yet my diet hasn't changed. I get this every now and then for 1,2, sometimes 3 weeks at a time. I can go several weeks with no problem at all, and all of a sudden it's like whoa, nothing wants to go down. I haven't had anything different to eat, my diet stays pretty consistent. All of my other "MS" symptoms have been at an uproar the past couple of weeks also (I am not yet diagnosed). Could this be part of MS?
I am going for an upper GI this week.
I have GI problems too - I am not "officially" dx'd at this point - but I believe that my sudden GI problems that began over 2 years ago are related to the "probable" MS.  My symptoms come and go also - which is why I think it is related, at least for me.

Definitely worth seeing a GI doctor - there are many treatment options for GI problems (MS related or not).

Good luck!

Hugs,
Chrisy
One of the highest, unspoken statistics is the 50% of all people with MS that suffer with severe constipation at some time in their disease.  This can very with daily, and permanent to occurring occasionally with flare-ups.

I recommend that people with this problem or tendency, people on narcotic meds or on any type of muscle relaxant (from the benzodiazepines like Valium or Klonopin) or things like Zanaflex or Flexeril, be religious in taking fiber, probiotics and to not fear about taking stimulant laxatives.  

There is also a concoction made up with prune juice, fiber and something else that is proven to be very helpful in controlling constipation.  Kathy, I think you offer this some time back.

Besides being uncomfortable, constipation is one of the causes of urinary tract infections.  Infections are potent triggers for relapses and for increases in spasticity.  The act of bearing down hard to expel a hard stool can make you too stiff (spastic) to relax the rectal sphincter.

We talk about this a lot.  You might do a "This Community" search for constipation to read some of the other threads.

You're are in good company.
Hi Quix,
Is IBS, or diahrea, besides constipation also a sx of MS?  
Sandie
>>One of the highest, unspoken statistics is the 50%

count me in here. since the time i had that CSF infection just prior to surgery i've had intestinal issues on and off. not since that time have i been consistent for more than a week.

told one of my neuro's about it, well, come to think of it, i don't want to speak of him again or see him again. he isn't worth spit.

i've have my own concoction of stuff to help me go too. miralax helps me. sometimes nothing. this whole thing has a mind of it's own so to speak.

if i don't go, i am in more pain and more generalized discomfort. i have no explanation but i've had to compensate for it.

tomorrow is a better day ...
Hi, this is a "constipation recipe" that my urogynecologist gave me, that she got from the Michigan Bowel Control Program:

1 cup Apple Sauce
1 cup Oat Bran or unprocessed Wheat Bran
3/4 cup Prune juice

Mix well.  Begin with 1 - 2 Tablespoons each evening mixed with or followed by one 6-8 ounce cup of water or juice.  This should soften and regulate your bowel movements within 2 weeks.  If no change occurs, slowly increase serving to 3-4 Tbsp.
You should paln on making this a part of your daily routine for the rest of your lifetime.
This may be stored in your refrigerator or freezer.  One to two Tablespoon servings may be frozen in sectioned foam plastic egg cartons and thawed as needed.

I prefer oat bran, and used some organic apple/cherry sauce, or apple/apricot sauce; tasty!  I use Miralax more often, but I think its about time to mix up a batch of this.  I've mixed it in with morning oatmeal, or even cold cereal.

Hope it helps!

Kathy
Just a reminder everyone.  Lu wrote a journal entry abt thinking everything is MS and sometimes it isn't.  zit is one of her most recent posts.  Check it out.

Don't forget you can have other things going on that are not connected to MS.

See your doc and get it checked out.  If they tell you everything is ok then it may very well be MS related.

take care, terry
Terry, thank you for mentioning something that can't be said often enough.   For new symptoms do not just assume they are due to MS.  Check with your doctor.  Get checked out.

This needs to be mentioned as we deal with all problems.

Q
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I have had this off and on for quite some time and along with my other sx often wondered if their was an MS connection.
I am going this week for an upper GI and an abdominal ultrasound to r/o other problems. I also experience left sided abdominal pain/tingling/discomfort.
Even in church this morning, the communion bread landed in my stomach like I swallowed a brick. Can't wait to get these tests done and get to the bottom of what's going on.
I'm still patiently awaiting my LP results fom Oct. 6th. When I went in for my follow up, all of the results weren't in yet. I was told they would call me with them as soon as they came in. I gave them a week, have called twice only to have the nurse tell me they are in, are on the docs desk and he hasn't had a chance to look at them yet. Still no call back. I'm going to give a call tomorrow, this time I may not be so patient anymore. Should it take this long for the doc to get back to me w/ my results?
Has anyone had their gall bladder wall thicken? i had a lot of pain and need to go to the ER. I it felt like I swallowed a cow and it could not go down.