Multiple Sclerosis Community
????INCREASED LEVEL igG KAPPA PROTEIN???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hey all, been away for awhile.  Trying to convince myself that everything is fine.  And for the most part it is.  Went today for nerve conduction test and EMG.  They were both OK.  3rd neuro had done blood work back in July.  Told me today that I have an increase igG kappa protein in my blood.  Said that she would cont. to monitor this.  Breif history for those who may have forgotten me.  Jan 08 and Apr 08 bouts of L eye pain that lead to an MRI of brain.  2 small leasion found in Jan 08, neuro#1 jerk!!!!  Neuro #2 OK but didn't follow up just left me hanging.  Although he did not think MS.  Symptoms, fatigue, tingling in legs and burning feet, numbness in head,  internal guivers and last but not least balance problems.  Had another MRI in July08 on an open mri machine .3T and it did not show anything.  Sent to #3Neuro she is very nice but told me that the open MRI machine did not make a difference, although I knew better thanks to the health pages and Quix.  What I would like to know is this IgG kappa protein related to MS,  is it something to be concerned about.  Repeat mri in March09 and this time she told me to go to the closed MRI because the open does not show small lesions well!!!!!!  GO FIGURE.

Thanks for any help,
lala47
Hi lala,

Glad you've come back to see us.  Sounds like you are just making your way down that long road through limboland!!  I'm sorry you still don't have any answers, but sounds like N4 might be a welcomed change.

I googled the igG Kappa protein, but most everything I found was as part of a study of certain diseases.  Try googling it like I did, I just typed the name in and it brought up a lot of different sites.

Hopefully too, maybe someone here who knows about this protein and what it means will explain this to you.

Again, I'm glad you're back and hope you will stay around for awhile.

Hugs
doni
I did google, somehow became more confused, the Doc talked about kidney failure and certain cancers, but for me not to be concerned at this point.  I just wandered if ya'll knew if there was any relation to MS.  Doc says that she does not think MS but will not rule it out because of symptoms and lesions.  She said next step would be LP just not right now.

Thanks"
lala47
Hi lala,

This is the best thing I found, there is a full article on this web site:

http://www. pubmedcentral.nih.gov/ articlerender .fcgi?artid=1555047 (take out spaces)

Abstract

Autoimmunity to a neural antigen is a suspected cause of multiple sclerosis (MS), and a candidate autoantigen is myelin basic protein (MBP). Accordingly, saline extracts of brain from patients with MS and other diseases were prepared and the content of immunoglobulin (Ig) determined. Antibody to MBP was measured with a highly-sensitive solid-phase radioimmunoassay using 125I-staphylococcal Protein A. Anti-MBP activity was detected in brain extracts of all eleven MS patients, and in seven out of the eight brain extracts from the patients with other diseases; however the level of anti-MBP activity was significantly higher in the MS extracts (P less than 0.01). Analysis of the MS brain extracts after purification by affinity chromatography columns revealed that the anti-MBP activity was specifically mediated by IgG and resided in the IgG1, IgG2, and/or IgG4 subclasses.
_____________________________________

Sounds as if it could have something to do with MS, too.

Hope this helps a little.

doni
THANKS!!!!!!!     I'm still serching the net for anything I can find also.  Some of these articles can scare you to death.  Now I'm wondering if it's OK to wait 6 mo. to be check again.

Thanks alot for hepling me look!!!!!   You guys are the best!!!!

lala47
Your welcomed, lala.  Anytime we can help, all you have to do is ask!!

Have a good weekend!

doni
Hi there, I'm still undx... still being tested... when they did blood test they found I had high level of IGg Lamba protein... didn't say why....only that I should get it check every year..

I also was in the hospital at the time, so they did a Bone Marrow test to see if it showed anything... and it came up with Granulomas.. which they didn't know why?  So... i think there are so many different tests that could mean so many things??  

They say I'm a "special" case...I think we all are if we are in Limboland... just hang in there and try not to worry...I went through looking things up and all it did was scare me..
so I talked with my GP and the hemotologist...who said not to worry about it??  Funny, how they wont say more then that though?

take care
wobbly
undx
Thanks, it makes it so much easier when you know that you are not alone.  All you guys on this forum are such a comfort.  I don't know about all you other limbolanders, but sometimes I think "it's not MS I'm just getting older and am not as young as I used to be".  Then something else happens and wham your right back to wondering again.  What a roller coaster!!!!!  I will try not to worry, I've got this sinus crud so I'm sure I'll be seeing my GP soon, and I will see what she thinks.

Thanks so much
lala  
I know what you mean, lala.  After my brain MRI came back clear, I thought maybe my symptoms were from something else.

Then, like you, wham, something happens and the only place the symptom shows up is in MS.  It's like riding a roller coaster to h*ll!!  You're scared to death, don't know when it's going to end, and when it ends you don't know where that will be.

I'm glad you've found us, cause I can truthfully say, that I don't know where I would be today, if I hadn't found this wonderful place and all the great and caring people to share my heart and thoughts with.  They have been a life saver!!

Hugs
doni