Multiple Sclerosis Community
IRRITABILITY: IS IT MS OR JUST ME LOL

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

IRRITABILITY: IS IT MS OR JUST ME LOL

Hi All, Just wanted to see if anyone else experienced or is experiencing extreme irritability. I mean I use to get crabby and all near period but these days everyday I am so easily angered, and just irritable. Could this be due to the 5 lesions in my brain...I was hoping to find an excuse....lol

I really am frustrated, the scalp burning, the face aching and painful could be contributing, the sleep cycle, the array of wonderful meds like lyrica and ultram are my newest ones..I feel out of control, holding on to a thin wire at work sometimes..and more impatient with family..

Please tell me this goes away when I get a final diagnosis...or get back into remission if I am truly one of you all..It is scary..I don't feel like me anymore..Well thanks for advice in advance...

Cranky,Crazy  Amy
Tags: irritable
I am pretty irritable righ tnow - as irritable as I get. I blame it on the spasms, buzzing, and fatigue. I have no name to put to my "condition". I don't even want to be around myself lately, lol! I have no diagnosis, but both my sisters have MS - the irritability doesn't go away, trust me;)

Go ahead and be grumpy! You have a right to be!

YOUR NOT ALONE,  IRRITABILITY COMES ALONG WITH MY MS , SOME DAYS JUST THE SIMPLIST THINGS WILL SET ME OFF.

I BELEIVE THAT MY SYMPTOMS ADD TO IT,SOMETIMES I FEEL THE COMBO OF MY MEDS.BEING COOPED UP AT HOME,NOT DRIVING BECAUSE OF THE OPTICAL NEURITIS.

MAYBE ITS JUST ME WANTING THE OLD ME,IT'S BEEN SO LONG THAT I QUESS I WOULDN'T RECONIZE THE OLD ME.

I'D LOVE TO TELL YA IT GETS EASIER,WE HAVE OUR GOOD DAYS AND BAD,THE RESIDUAL SYMPTOMS THAT PERSIST OR LINGER CAN GET TO US.

I FINALLY WENT TO MY GP AND TOLD HIM I WAS GOING THROUGH A ROUGH TIME AND ASK HIM FOR BUSPAR,I CAN TAKE IT DAILY OR WHEN I NEED IT.

YOUR ENTITLED TO BE CRANKY, ONCE YA GET A DIAGNOSIS,IT MAY LESSON,NOT KNOWING MAKES US CRANKY.

T-LYNN
WOW--I thought it was just me! LOL  I woke up wondering why I just can't be the "happy" normal person I used to be and why such little things are setting me off (especially at work).

I had just thought it was the stress of it all-maybe it is??

It helps to know it's not just me,
Stacey
I'm right there with you! I feel as if it takes so much focus to do stuff that the slightest thing makes me bonkers! Then add the pain discomfort factor and I am a time bomb waiting to go off...usually on the poor hubby!

Rebeccah

I have the me too's this morning .
I feel like I have had a personality change . I'm especially grumpy waiting in a line. I avoid the grocery store .   And if I do get caught in a long line , Please don't say anything to me . I can't believe I'm so witchy .     I have noticed it has to do  sx.

I often have a large space at the bottom of these pages, reason:  I type with the keyboard on my lap and hit the 'enter'  instead of 'shift' ..  I really get p*ssed.  :))

Right now I'm just filling space , is anyone irritated yet!!!    :))

I wish everyone a gentle and peaceful day.   Love to all             Jo

Great thanks for letting me know I am not alone...I guess I will just push through this time of waiting and hopefully won't kill anyone ...I am just going to pray for peace for myself and for all of you especially...

God is the only one I know who can deliver me to that place and I am going to have to trust him more...Sorry if this offends anyone..it is not meant to, but I think I was a bit "cranky" with God too cause I have been through a lot these last three years, I almost got divorced, but went to counseling and found out I had a problem with alcohol..and wanting perfection in myself and others but learned through painful stuff that we can't be perfect and the one we marry or date or our friends also are not perfect....

God does not expect that of us, he just want us to be HIS...with all of our imperfections. I am sober now 18 months thru the Grace and Mercy of God, I have a new relationship with my husband and so in my heart I guess I know God walked through that painful season with me and he will in no way abandon me in this new path...I have no idea why I just said all that...I guess I just want you all to know the real me..not perfect...have a lot of fleshly defects but I work on them and so there it is....Amy
Amy,

Thanks for sharing this with us .

What a strong woman you are and the last eighteen months have proven it .  I'm sure the beginning may not have been easy but you overcame that obstacle and now you are ready to deal with the one at hand .  Its great that you have such a strong friend to walk with you.

Jo
Thanks Jo, yes I am blessed to not walk this alone...I hope you don't have too many people in line next time you grocery shop...tee hee...I have always had that impatience too...but we just deal with one thing at a time right. Have a wonderful day...Peace and blessings and strength...Amy
I would certainly say that I am less patient and much more irritable now than 10 years ago.  My irritability is definitely related to symptoms and especially to heat.  I used to be so laid back and calm about things when I was in practice.  Even screaming kids didn't phase me.  Though I was never good at waiting in line, probably because I had so much I had to accomplish every day.  Now, standing in line is something I can't even do.  There is nothing that's worth it.  If the line is long, I just leave.

In the context of MS, one of the common emotional features, besides the tendency to depression, is often a lability of emotions.  This means a very quick swinging from one mood into another.  You think you're okay, then the littlest thing shoot you off into tears or anger.  This often takes family and friends by surprise and can create some very difficult moments.  Those with the diagnosis would do well to share this info with the ones closest to them and try to be aware that our reactions often don't match the magnitude of what we are reacting to.

Amy, Bless you for your strength and sobriety.  I know secondhand how hard that is.  Literally one minute at a time.

I really have to fight with the irritability.  That's why we are all so important to one another (one of the many reasons).

Quix

Wow, It never occurred to me that my occasional flying off the handle at a little thing had anything to do with MS.  I blamed it on menopause and then beat myself up for doing it.  Bless you Quix for sharing.  

I know not long after I was diagnosed and having lots of cognitive problems, I became entirely overwhelmed with life, which led to lots of frustration, crankiness and tears.  My neuro put me on an anti-depressant which made a WORLD of difference in my life.  Life was still difficult, but I felt like I was back in control again and much more able to cope.  So Amy, I would suggest you speak with your doctor to see if there's anything you could safely take.  Hang in there.  We've been there too.  Peace and strength to you.

Barb
Quix, Thanks for the information. My GP keeps saying I have Bipolar but I say NO. My moods are not hard to control. But yes even the little things that never seemed to bother me will make me cry or scream at you. I know alot of the moodiness is from not having a diagnoses for 20years and now I do. I have bottled up anger. Not good for my hubby. We are going to counseling for us to learn how to cope with MS and my mood swings. We almost split up last month. Now we are getting to fall in love again. Except no sex. Not interested in sex.
I'm on anti depressants and have been for nearly 15 years.
Amy- go talk to a doctor. It will do you some good.

Love
Elizabeth
hi, i'm new here, but not to the common struggles of many here,so I already feel partly at home just reading posts.i just wanted you to know your a fine, good, strong witness in  our lord,by your story alone.yes,i'm crabby so much more then i ever was,sometimes i think..who was that?, oh it was me with a very bad thought and tongue! have you seen the saying.."Dear Lord...please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth", I try to remember to ask for the same most days latly.I have a wonderful, loving and forgiving family,who i'm very thankful for.i do find peace in knowing,i'm so very far from perfect, but so very close to my God. You are doing so good.i also beleive whats happening it my brain, very much plays with my emotions and ability to control them, they have become so extreme! well take care,and bless you,
                                                                           Cathy
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I feel surrounded by strength and help and openeness, with some laughter too make a nice mix...You're all GREAT!!1

QUIX: what you said made so much sense, the mood changes do happen and either the anger comes or I get the tears too. I don't feel depressed just a bit overwhelmed with all but that is because I have a hard time reaching out to others and asking for help....

Elizabeth, I am so glad you are going to counseling and that your relationship is turning around. We all need help at one time or another. I know the sex thing too, it is a hard one to deal with as well, being married 24 years and getting older too ..Bless you

Cathy, Thanks for that scripture,I so need to watch my mouth...so quick to let my tongue go crazy and angry...I think we are all in the same boat....and I feel much better just hearing all of your stories and that this is normal now...

God Bless you FRIENDS  Amy in Austin
Hi. I am new to Med help and i have been dealing with some mood issues. Im not sure if they are related to my unknown diagnose as to my wierd symptoms i have been experiencing. I have been thru so many test and many mri's the last 4 yrs. but docs always question if it could be ms related. i have been back and forth to the Cleve Clinic MS center 4 times to be turned away and said no its not ms. Im grateful to god when they say no but as soon as  a new symptom appears im back at square one. if anyone has any kind of advice i would greatly appreciate it. i also have faith in the good lord up above and he's carried me thru so far. I've been told once that god never gives us more than we can handle at a time. i firmly believe that with all my heart like i said he carried me this far i have so much to praise him for........but i do feel scared at times. Just believe in the almighty and he will deliver you.  I will keep you in my prayers...Naki
Welcome   Humming  and Naki,

You should  post on the front page of this forum so other can see and get to know you ..   Do a lot of reading of previous treads, it can be very beneficial . This is a great place to be .  Many wise , caring , giving people here .  Stick around and join this big , warm family.

The very best to both of you.       Jo
I had a feeling that my irritability (lightly put) may have something to do with my ms...but now i feel as if it is confirmed by reading these posts...i am taking effexorxr and thought that for the first month that it worked - it did work - but now further into it....it's not working anymore!! i don't know how else to express it to a doctor that i need something to fix it - i almost can't stand myself - and yet can't get the right medication to help - any suggestions as to which med to take?
My name is  Stephanie and my Dx is still not diffinitive and I suffer from tremors and am on Lyrica (max amt) and Ultram and at night Zanaflax and Nortriptyline. I still have moments that my arms and legs have minds of their own and my legs give out on me with no warning and I fall. We have adjusted meds throught this last yr and they subside but now its getting bad again! I am a pediatric nurse and somedays its hard to masque it at work, Sometimes I feel like if I had a Dx I could at least have something to let my boss know but it is frusterating.Hang in there!
Stephanie
I used to be very level as far as emotions go. That was one of the things that made me feel I could handle 7 children.

One of the things I noticed before my MS dx is I am having a very difficult time dealing with all of the activities going on around me.

I become overwhelmed very quickly and eaisly now.  I find it difficult to even follow a simple recipe.

I think part of it is because I am miserable. ON makes it difficult to focus.  Noise bothers me.

Now throw in the side effects of Avonex......I am finding myself taking a lot of time outs here lately.  I just need the rest.

I used to love going to Wal-Mart. Now is just seems like mass confusion to me.  

I am frustrating and hoping I am not kidding myself when I say It will get better....Will it REALLY?

LA