Multiple Sclerosis Community
Legs freezing up?!?!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Legs freezing up?!?!

Hi.

I'm in the middle of being diagnosed with MS (i pray everyday thats its something else - but theres a 95% chance i have it). Well i experience most of the symptoms, except rarely do i have severe problems with my limbs (except for minor spascticity (sp?) in arms and legs.

But tonight, i felt this harsh pain in my knees, it soon grew to my lower leg, then reached my upper leg. Soon enough, my muscles began to "freeze" and it became very difficult to walk. i'm still experiencing the symptoms now, and its been several hours. however, the main pain is still in my knees. And walking from place to place is extremely dificult. i have to use my hip joints to move my legs. is this normal?!

What should i do?!?!?
HELP
Hello there,

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain! I cannot say if this is typical of MS ... I'm not a doctor. However, it sounds like you really need to see one as soon as possible. You've got to figure out what this is with your legs ... MS or not, they can treat accordingly.

Best wishes to you, and please let us know how you are doing.

Blessings,
ArmyGirl73
Does the pain feel like a muscle cramp?  Or just a pain similar to an injury?

It sounds like you're experiencing spasticity in your knees and legs.  I have problems with the hip flexor, the muscles of my quads, and most recently my right knee.  The situation starts similarly - a knee or a hip will start hurting, and then it'll get worse and worse, until it's so painful that I can't use the muscle.  

Or it could be something else entirely - strain of your knees or legs... but since you've already had mild spasticity, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.  Har, har!

Speaking of which, you might try some very gentle stretches to help your mobility.  It'll help you move around a little better.  Massage also helps loosen things up.   Be very careful, because if you are actually injured, you can make it worse.