Multiple Sclerosis Community
MS Jaw Popping

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

MS Jaw Popping

I am a 35 yr old male with secondary progressive MS. My jaw has been popping occasionally while eating and always when chewing gum. I did a search on jaw popping and found that MS is sometimes misdiagnosed as TMJ. Is this possibly another symptom? And should I seek assistance from my neuro or dentist? Is important to have it looked at immediately? (I ask that because I have a neuro appt in a month.)

Thanks for any help or advice.
is this painful at all?  is it on both sides of your face?  I would mention it to the Neuro, but I think you will be told to see a dentist re this.. if it's TMJ.. I don't knnow if TMJ has anything to do with MS..

I have TMJ and the neuro and dentists are not sure if its TMJ or TN when it gets VERY painful.. so they call it Atypical facial pain..

good luck and let us know what they say

wobbly
dx
I've had TMJ disorder for 27 years and popping when eating and chewing gum is typical of that.  Any regular dentist *should* be able to give you an initial diagnosis for that, but for any treatment or confirmed diagnosis you should see one that specializes in TMJ.  

I don't know what your neuro would say -- but regardless you should still see a dentist.

And stop chewing the gum  =)   That is a big no-no for TMJ for obvious reasons.

Jean
33 yo
dx 2010

P.S. Don't let them ever try surgery on you for TMJ.  For a significant number of people it has made the problem worse.
I have suffered from TMJ for many years... No gum chewing, stay away from very chewy things... gummy bears, jelly beans and anything like that.  I have to wear a mouth guard to relieve the pressure on my jaw, you can go to the drug store and they sell ones that you can put in boiling water and form to your jaw.  Stress will intensify TMJ pain and "popping".  If you are having pain Motrin will help if you are unable to take it.  I also have Osteoarthritis and primary progressive multiple sclerosis, I don't think they are intertwined diagnoses'.  Good luck!
Debbie