Multiple Sclerosis Community
My Leg Feels Like It Is Shaking

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

My Leg Feels Like It Is Shaking

Anyone. Last night at work, for more than 8 hours my left thigh felt like it was shaking or trebling. I had to touch it several times to see if I could actually feel it. I couldn't. There was something going on inside the leg creating a feeling of shakiness but it was not moving or twitching at all. I've only had issues with pain and numbness on my right side, I have never had a single symptom on my left side although my left hand is starting to feel like the one on the right side. It feels tight and the joints seem painful.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the shaky feeling? I search my handbook this morning for two hours, looked at tremors but thought that it wasn't even close to what I was feeling. I might have just been over tired but I have never had a feeling like that before.

I'm sure someone here has had a similar feeling even if its not an MS related issue. Thoughts anyone?

BTW, 72 degrees today in Maine, this is what Fall is all about.

Johnny
Oh, man, this is a hot topic!  There is a paresthesia which feels very odd and everybody descibes it differently.  The usual descritptions are "vibrating", "buzzing,", "shaking inside," "like a vibrator in me." like a slow electric current," "JELLO-wiggly feeling."  and such.  Last spring on the Neurology support Forum there was a thread that went to 99 posts called "I Feel Like I'm Vibrating!"

We had one here (that maybe someone could find) that had several dozen posts all identifying with the sensation of internal shaking or vibration.  Somehow, it seem like the neurologists don't hear about it and look at you like you are nuts. When I first heard/read someone describe I thought it sounded pretty strange and THEN I saw the response to the complaint!  WOW!!  Since then, I know the sensation becasue it is what I have in my left leg with the L'Hermitte's.

I have only seen this described in the forums, but I totally believe it is definitely neurological and very common in MS.

I'm sure others will join in here and I hope someone finds the post we had.  It was back in the Summer.

Quix
I correct myself.  The "I Feel Like I'm Vibrating"  was on the Patient-to-Doctor Neurology and NeuroSurgery Forum and the first post was dated 3/22/07.  It was closed after 99 posts.  Worth a look.

Quix
In all seriousness dear friend, after I have spent the last few posts ragging on you....take it from someone that has been there and done that for more years than I can count...this "vibration or quivering or shaking," you speak about, is MY CONSTANT companion in my left leg.  It is much worse and more noticeable when I am in a flair-up.  My old doctor used to blame this on Diabetic Neuropathy, since I am a Diabetic.  

I am so well-controlled with my diabetes, that the new Neurologist confirmed through EMG studies and exam, that this was INDEED one of the symptoms I could relate, directly to the MS.  He told me that due to my spinal lesion that this can be a related symptom.

I give this information to you, to do with as you will.  If I remember correctly, you still do not have a definitive diagnosis of MS, do you?  Saying that, I also remind you, that the feelings you have in your leg CAN be caused by many other abnormalities; than MS alone.

I would jot this symptom down and make sure you tell your doctor about it, at your next visit...which I hope is soon.

Best wishes dear "old" man....(Just kidding. Have to include a little laughter with my serious post.)  Happy Birthday again, fella.

Feel well....Heather
Hi there,
I am so glad that you are addressing this issue, as I had no idea how to explain that feeling.  I was reading on the couch one day when I felt like both of my legs where shaking, or shivering (as if they were cold), so I had to keep lifting the blanket and looking to see what the deal was, but as far as I could tell they were not visibly moving.  This has happened to me several times since, as is such a weird sensation  It doesn't hurt, or I should say when it has happened to me, it has never caused pain, just a weird vibrating, shakiness.  I get this in my torso every once in a while also.
Thanks for bringing it up!
Terrie
Hi Johnny,

It's so hard when you have to describe something that no-one can feel and you described it well.  I can also relate to the shakey (shaky) inside, but nothing moving on the outside.  My L'Hermittes (and it seems the sensations and symptoms are so varied and not the classic definition) was (as per my Neuro) related to the lesion in my spinal cord.  

I kept thinking (at work) the buzzing feeling in my tailbone was because I put my calf up on my hard drive (long story) - until I finally figured out in my car, that it was related to putting my head down.  I only figured that one out because my cell phone kept ringing and I would look down, tailbone area would buzz (no pain) then I lifted my head and bamm, it would totally stop. I was like - holy ****, what is this - it started about a month or so before I got really sick.

Question for you - Did the shakey (shaky) feeling come and go when you were looking at your leg to see if it was moving? Also, do you have that shakey (shaky), jittery feeling on the inside, but not related to a body part, some of what Q describes? I'm not up on the all the history posts, so I'm sorry to ask, but do you have any lesions in the c-spine?

If it's L'Hermitte's you may find that it is related to when you put your head down, quick, slow, mine doesn't have any rhyme or reason.  Also, it's been almost 9 months since mine started, and I still have it, but, no more buzzing in my tailbone.  Now whenever I look down, I get numbness in my thighs and arms, and soon as I lift my head, it stops.  Just a heads up, it may change, but may not let up if it's that.

B-day! Is it your Birthday, and your body is having a lil' party for ya? I hope you had a good one and that you feel well soon,

SL

Most of my neurological symptoms are on my left side...but i have a very distinct band of parasthesia on my right thigh... it really was one of my first strange symptoms to occur... it came 2 years ago... and never went away... i can trace its exact location with my fingers and at times it seems so sensitive to the touch... you would swear something should be there... like a rash or something... it is the weirdest symptom so far... tender to the touch, stinging at times, electrical also, & there are times when i swear it is trembling but i don't see anything moving...often i don't even want the thinnest peice of cotton clothing near it... is this anything like what you are feeling?
I take neurontin 600mg before bedtime... sometimes it gives it a little relief but mostly it helps the neuropathy i have in my left foot.

Hope you have a better, restful sleep.
Happy Birthday... may GOD bless you with a healthy year ahead.
Frann
Hola!
I have this vibrating sensation and it was one of the first symptoms I had.  Mine started in May and it gets better when I am not in a flair and really bad when I am in one.  I read everyone's posts and felt a bit reassured that I was not the only one that had this but I also had my neuro find the buzzing on the EMG!!  It was very exciting because until then I know he and my first neuro just dismissed me and the feeling as being in my head.  He held my arms prior to the EMG  and could not feel it but I knew I was vibrating!

I am not sure of the cause yet as he seamed a bit  baffled by it and said it was "myotonia" and is sending me to a neuromuscular doctor at Shands to be evaluated for it.  The thing is it does not feel muscular it feels electrical and like it starts in my spine because before it is about to get worse my spine starts to feel very sensitive and like it is on fire and then just like a click happens and I feel like I am sitting on an air purifier for a week or two.     Mine also seams to be intensified by my monthly hormonal surges.    

Anyways - that's my story and I hope it helps you feel better that you aren't the only one but unfortunately I have no answers why yet.  I will let you know after my visit to Shands at the end of November.
BTW - Is it your birfday??   Happy Birthday!! if it is and Happy Sunday if it's not!

Have a nice night all!
Kristin
I've been getting the same thing off and on for almost 2 years. I get visible shaking for the most part but I also get shaking where there is no visible signs. I almost feel like a milkshake when it really gets going and yet there is nothing showing. I'm not diagnosed either so I'm not sure what this is. It is usually in my left leg and that is also the leg that visibily shakes worse too and I have had it last up to 2 days at a time. I hope it gets better soon for you.

So its your B-day. Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHNNY!

Moki
So now you don't have to feel like the Lone Stranger.  Didn't I tell you a lot of people have this? Q
Big guy your not alone,I have had the constant vibrating in my right leg since 1998 after I had transverse myelitis.Feels like ya swallowed a bee-hive and them bee's are a buzzing to get out.

I have the constant buzzing with electrical shock waves running down my right leg.When I'm tired its at its worst.It does subside but I still notice it.When I'm in an attack it gets real bad.

Happy Birthday

T
Hey Dude!

Welcome to the rockers & shakers club.  I think it has a lot of members.  

Actually, this internal buzzing, shaking was one of the first 'weird' things i noticed.  

I also get the actual shakes (having trouble with fine motor stuff this morning - gotta concentrate hard), but this internal shaking / tremor is something different altogether... it comes and goes, but seems to be assoicated with 'flare-up'....

Hmmmmm......

S
Yep, I think many of us are on board with ya!  I usually just have the "buzzies and tinglies" in my legs, but recently, after doing things like light vacuuming of the house, my legs will feel like they're quaking, even though to look at them, they're fine.  Feels just like I've been doing squats all day and my legs are on the verge of giving out on me.  I'm thinking maybe this is a new fatigue symptom for me, even though my level of exertion was moderate to light.  Always something fun!  Happy birthday!

Fishy
YES! that's exactly how I first described it to my old, "evil" neuro.  It felt like I had over-worked out and had that weak, exhasuted, "jelly-leg" feeling in my thigh.  To his credit he didn't look at me strangely (that time) and wrote "sensation of weakness" in my chart.  Actually, it felt more like extreme fatigue.  Since then, about a year and a half ago, I have not suffered weakness there, but continue to have the instantaneous, vibrational feeling when I flex my neck.  Q  (wasn't "Q" a bad guy in an old spy movie?)

Quix
Yes iv too experience that in both my legs they just buzz, i feel it more at rest then when walking on them, i also get what i call wobbly leg sydrome after a hot bath or after any type of movement lately i feel like iv been running for miles or something.

I didint know this was another type of  paresthesia so iv learned something else today!
Hi not had chance to say helloooo! but hi anyways Have  a Happy  birthday by the way and yep buzzing tremours , myoclonus and a whole lot of other stuff !  Sometimes difficult to describe how it feels !
  Thanks for your comments! It is a new sensation for me, I just woke up and it was back. And it does feel like a vibrator on the inside. I really expected that when I touched my thigh I would be able to feel it like a muscle spasm but I couldn't feel anything. A lot of you described it pretty well, shaky feeling, vibrator type feeling, Jello leg feeling, buzzies and tinglies.

Fishyfish, you hit it right on the head. If I exercise and do squats, after I would have this same feeling in my legs. Back then I knew it was related to a metabolic change due to the exercise. This came on without any exercise or physical activity.

Would everyone here agree you should mention this at my next neuro appointment or will I get the you must have three heads look. My regular neuro called the other day and canceled. My Nov appointment has now been pushed back into Dec. I do see an MS specialist in Nov (new neuro=YEAH) so maybe I should just mention it to him. I'll throw it on my time line and if he asks if anything is new I'll mention it.

Johnny
Hi johnny yes I would mention it and hope you don't get the 3 headed look lol like the description sounds like my neuro plus the hmmmm ! really !
I was just gonna come on here this morning and read cause I have had a very difficult weekend, but I had to say a few words to Samantha to support her about her tests coming up and then I read this thread.

I am experiencing the same thing as you, it has happened a few times with different areas on my body, but Friday when I awoke it seemed to encompass my whole being!  Muscle spasms are at a pain level of about an 8 and I feel like I am jittering from the inside out, but as you say there isn't any real movement.

Electrical shocks in both hips and down my legs, started Saturday.  Also from the base of my neck and down my back and around my rib cage.  Feel like I am having a total short out!!  Maybe I need to call an electrician!! ha hee

The problems have worsen throughout the weekend and this morning I want to scream.  Jittering from inside has worsened to head bobs (feel like a bobble head doll! ha) severe shaking in arms and legs and muscle spasms everywhere.  Fingers keep jumping off the keyboard and can't control the mouse.

I am exhausted to the max, does the extreme muscle spasms and jitters cause anyone else to feel like they have run a 30 mile marathon?  Just wondering if I had finally lost what's left of my pea brain!!!

Well, this took forever to get typed so I'm gonna give up now and go sit in my corner and do the shaky thing.

Love & ((((hugs) to all

doni
Consider this....the muscle spasms are the muscle contracting and then relaxing, then contracting and relaxing...you bet...it's like running a marathon.  That's alot of muscle work out.  It is just like you WERE running and using your muscles...and everyone wonders why fatigue is such a huge issue.

I have had MS for a LONG time, as you may have read...with all the spasms I have day in and day out, I am exhausted at the end of the day.  Pain is a big issue in my daily life.  I have so many spasms in my legs, that they actually burn, like someone has a blow torch pointed at them.  That's the "burn" they talk about at the gym, when you are lifting weights.  No c-r-a-p...I actually work my muscles more than Arnold Swartzenegger does....

Heather
Yea, I'm like you, I feel like I have been lifting weights!  Too bad I don't have the physic of an Arnold - man, I could be the next Ms Universe!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha  Man, what a picture that put in my head!!!!!

doni
I've had the internal shakes for 4 1/2 months and its a bummer. It can really mess up sleeping patterns. And to me feels very nonhuman in a sense. I think it is enviromental toxins somehow, and or fatiqued muscles that reacts this way. It might also somehow be adrenaline that is firing through nerve endings or something like that. If doctor approves I am going to try a light non-narcotic sedative. lol    MS 5 yrs  I move around but slow and painful always.
i get a vibrating feeling like my cell phone is vibrating but its not and its mostly after a day of working and being on my feet .im glad i saw that others describe it the same way cuz i thought i was nuts
Hey, Reckless - feel free to post your question in a new thread, and tell us a little about yourself.  It'll help people find your question easier.
Well, but for the date, the opening post for this thread could have been written by me, except mine's in the right thigh.  Specifically, the upper front of the right thigh.  Odd.  Has lasted as long as two or three minutes, and has happened many times a day or only once every few, with everything in between.  Vibrating like a cell phone, or maybe I could say it feels like a steady stream of bubbles passing through an opening in some internal conduit.  Taking note.  Must begin a new "Dear neuro, here's the whole story" letter soon, in preparation for my next appointment.  That's in about six weeks.

I've had this sensation before, in different locations, but not so persistently in the one spot.  Just wait until you feel it in your eyelids; it's creepy.
Ok Ok I know this is an old thread but I fely compelled to answer, especially as this is my soap box topic - which led me to have an arthroscopy - which has made things worse so far - but that's another story.

When I had what we now know was a major relapse last September and the medics told me I had 'overuse injury' (that's a laugh with my fitness level) - I tried so very hard to describe this feeling to them as both my legs, although the left was worse than the right, felt as though they were vibrating all the way down although you could not see it. They also felt like the knees were spongey, again the left leg worse and that they could not hold me up at all. I spent 9 weeks unable to walk properly because of it except a sort of weird shuffle for a few steps.

I ended up at ortho and then at neuro and the rest is history as they say. The only good thing for me was that when I finally got to tell the neuro he immediately recognised the sx - I could have hugged him as this was 9 months later!!!

Pat
I used to have a buzzing sensation in my chin and the tip of my nose.  I thought that was annoying until the cold sensations started last month in the same spot, plus the corner of my right eye - now THAT's annoying!
Hey - I can join the rockers and shakers too.  I went to visit my gramps in the hospital yesterday and felt like my whole body was shaking uncontrollably. At first I thought it was just the nerves of seeing my gramps with all the darn tubes running in and out of him (poor guy), but I've had this before. A lot of times it's only in my L arm, but have woken to a "whole body" shake down before. It was like I was shivering from a fever, but I took my temp and no fever. I also get the buzzing and the "internal" shaking. I just keep hoping no one can see it!!!

Hi, i'm 14 years old and this exact same thing is happening to my left leg too. I get this weird jiggling feeling right beside my left knee and I can't seem to figure out what it is.
Sunny95,

Hi there. You posted on an old post. At your age, please do tell your parents what you are experiencing.

Take care,
Shell
Hi I am Mary I have not been diagnosed yet have all your symptoms for 10mos, woke up froma surgery on my shoulder, due to a car accident the prior yesr, long story, anyway, woke up from surgery and few days later had all these symptoms..... shootings pains downs hips and legs and arms and fingers and some vision changes..... no Drs could say why... then they started running tests.... my mom had MS so they did lumbar test came out negative... but pains still bad and now 10mos later wobble legs and waves of pain every 3wks or so so bad.... and headaches left thigh hurts more than right, arms feel heavy... tingling never goes away, or pains but the pain every 3 wks gets worse so thats why I call it waves.... I get, Does any one know why Drs can't figure out what I or some of you have when not diagnosed right away... I know if Lumbar test negative that still does not mean you do not have MS. I have been through other tests to... EMG,  and Nuerodiagnostistic(SEP) and doing MRI on neck and have done Brain MRI's. so do you have ideas??? thanks Mary