Multiple Sclerosis Community
Neurogenic bladder

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Neurogenic bladder

Hi, my neurologist suspected I had MS, had a spinal MRI, evoked potentials, and LP all came back normal.  However, since then I have had urodynamics and have been diagnosed with neurogenic bladder, as I have to self catheter, as dont feel the need to go.  
My symptoms are, unsteady on feet, lose balance, aching thighs, electric shocks, tingling in hands and feet, left side of body weak, unable to do buttons and zips up, tiredness, no bladder working.

What I want to know is do you think I could have MS, even though all the tests came back normal, but have a neurogenic bladder diagnosis.

Thank you
Hi there,

Hey - remind us SuperC... And, what strength machine were your MRIs performed on?

Sounds like you are having motor skill problems too - it's so frustrating. How long has this been going on now?

Soo sorry to re-ask you. I'm sure you've already posted it....my mind can be mush.

-shell

the MRI was a t weighted one, a good one I think, my problems being going on and off for years, was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 18 months ago, but then bladder problems started a year ago, and since then balance issues, bit time, cant get upstairs without my husband putting my feet on the stairs and pulling my legs up for me, my neurologist was convinced I had MS, as had all the classic symptoms, MRI neck and spine normal, LP normal, and Evoked responses normal.  

Just hoping now I have a diagnosis for of a nuerogenic bladder that I may get some more of a clue what is wrong with me.  Nightmare
Sure, you could have MS given what you've written, though getting a diagnosis of it might be a different story. You don't mention a brain MRI. Have you had that, and if so, what did it show?

A neurogenic bladder is certainly caused by neurological problems, but there are a lot of neurological problems out there, so this doesn't definitely mean MS. Your doctor needs to put all of the puzzle pieces together. What is he saying?

Hope you get back to us with this.

ess
Hi yes had a brain MRI, only two white spots, which were age related.  So not hoping of getting any new answers, he also done blood tests to rule out any other inflamatory diseases, all normal, just wondering why my bladder doesnt work, dont get any urge to go at all, drink loads, I now self catheter, and want to get back to getting my life back.

Any ideas people
So how do they know the spots are age-related? That may well be wrong. Do you have a copy of your brain MRI report? If so, let us know what it says.

There has to be a reason for a neurogenic bladder, and it's the neurologist's job to find what that is. If it's MS, the problem can be from the brain or anywhere along the spinal cord, since urinating is a much more complicated process than we'd expect. So press your neuro on this till you get answers.

Cathing is no fun, but it isn't all that bad either. I'm experienced at it, so I know. The most important thing about bladder issues is to prevent all the infections we can, as these can cause major problems to other organs, and can be very serious indeed.

There are meds for various bladder conditions, but if you cannot feel the urge to go, you may be stuck with cathing at fixed intervals, at least several times a day. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't know any other remedies.

Please also consult with your uro and have regular visits there. Avoiding infections is so important, and you may not sense you have one.

Wishing you the best,
ess

There are also meds that can help these things, but if you
I know it's been over a year since you posted this, but did they ever consider Tethered Cord, Chiari Malformation, or a syrnix?