Multiple Sclerosis Community
Optic nerve problem

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Optic nerve problem

Last week I went to see an eye doctor for a routine eye exam for new contacts.  She dilated my eyes and told me that I had "thinning" of one of my optic nerves and that it is a different color than the other optic nerve.  She asked if I had ever had any head trauma which I haven't.  She then said that I didn't need surgery but that she would monitor it.  Later that day I googled optic nerve problems and discovered that it seems to be a very serious condition.  Should I request additional tests or get a second opinion.  I do suffer from ocular migraines and dizziness.  
Did the eye doc say anything about the "pressure" in your eye? Sometimes the thinning can be due from glaucoma, or many numerous causes. It could even be congenital.

Is your vision equal in both eyes?

Did you see an ophthalmologist or Optometrist?

When did the doc want to see you back?

Michelle
all good questions!

Quix
She didn't mention anything about the pressure in my eye.  I did have the glaucoma test done with the puff of air.  The vision in my one eye is a little worse than the other one.  I saw an optometrist.  She wants to see me back in a year.  I don't know if I should go see another eye doctor.
I have no idea how serious or NOT this might be.  Personally, I'm very protective of my vision and switched to an ophthalmologist for all eye exams years ago.  Insurance will often pay for exams and treatment related to problems (not refraction for glasses/contacts).  

Did you have any change in your vision acuity at this exam?  Do colors appear equally bright to either eye?  Although we have two eyes, they work best as a matched pair.  Any opportunity to keep them as evenly healthy as possible is a benefit worth seeing.

Just my opinion, but I'd start asking around for a ophthalmologist recommendation from people you know and/or get a referral from your PCP.  I hope you find a doc who will investigate this for you and perhaps be able to set your mind at peace.
I agree with twopack.  You need to see switch to an opthalmologist.  I was seeing just an optometrist myself and was describing the double vision, blurriness, etc. and it was thought it was my astigmatism causing the problems.  When I saw an opthamologist (although several months later), I was diagnosed with optic neuritis in my right eye.  I think that opthalmologist are more versed in diseases of the eye than the optometrist, who are experts in vision correction.  

I see both, now.  I see an opthalmologist for any eye issues that appear to be related to my MS.  I see an optometrist that's covered on my vision plan for my daughter and I to get free glasses.    

I agree with all of the above.

I would highly recommend seeing an ophthalmologist. That is a medical doctor, and the optometrist is a doctor of Optometry. (highly skilled in glasses and contact lenses). Also if you have insurance, the ophthalmologist is covered under medical.

I would call and get a name from your PCP and call and make an appt this week. I mean call this week, I am sure with the holidays the appt will be next year at this point.   Can only help you to be proactive, and see why you have optic nerve thinning. Also to get an accurate "pressure" reading. The puff of air, is OK, but not as reliable as other ways.  If you have a pale disc, that also needs to be addressed and find the cause.

Michelle

I want to thank everyone for their help.  I made an appointment for today with my primary care doctor to discuss all these issues.  I am going to be proactive with my eye issues.