Multiple Sclerosis Community
Possible MS hug episodes?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Possible MS hug episodes?

I am still awaiting appointment for 2nd opinion on MS dx, but have some questions on what I have read on the term MS hug.

I had an experience several years ago involving a long out of town drive for a family funeral. It was an abnormally stressful situation. After a week of literally  getting little sleep or rest I had an 'attack'. I began to have unexplained chest pain, at times it was like a heaviness...others like a tightening. Needless to say i was scared by it each time. It would come on suddenly and then  subside only to return later. Went to see a dr, who sent me to ER for EKG and blood work...all normal. They said I had esophageal spasms or panic attack and gave meds for that.

The chest tightening was still occuring and next was vertigo.

It took 2-1/2 weeks before I was in any condition to be able to make the 12 hour return drive home.

Is it possible this was an MS hug experience, or does the hug come and stay, not wax and wane?

ALso, for years having fibromyalgia dx, I would experience what I termed the rubber band twist: a muscle spasm which was around my ribs and would increasingly tighten. When I  had this, it would not release. More of a steady gradual tightening with increasing pain. Almost like an elastic band around my ribs was gathered at my back and someone was simply twisting it steadily to tighten.

Just interested to know if it is possible that these experiences were indeed MS related and not realized at that time.

Thanks for any help on this!
Tags: MS hug, spasm pain
Yes, your previous experiences could very well have been MS-related. The hug, like other MS symptoms, can come and go, relapse and remit.

Once I was diagnosed I was able to remember back to things as much as 10 years earlier that had gone unexplained. We can never be certain such things were MS-related, but if the other conditions they indicate haven't turned up, they probably were.
It does sound like our hug.  Could you tell us a little more about your MS quest.? what tests you have had done so far?

welcome to our little corner!  you might want to keep a timeline journal of these types of things, its helpful when finally going to doctors.  Not a daily thing, but just monthly strange things that occur.  Then pick the top 3 when you go see the doctor
Yup, sounds like the hug we all hate!  I suffer from the hug - sometimes intercostal muscles, sometimes mid and lower abdominals.  I also have esophageal spasms, which also occur with MS.  They're scary as he!!, because they do mimic angina.  My EKGs have all been normal, too.  Prilosec (over the counter) hasn't done anything for it, so now, when it happens, I just do my best to relax while it's happening, and trust that it will subside.  It always does (so far), knock wood!
I was diagnosed a year ago with MS I'm on daily injections of Copaxone. About 2 weeks ago I had the worst pain and burning feeling in my chest. I have never felt anything like it. I thought I was having a heart attack. It lasted 30 min. I googled burning sensation in my chest and the first thong that came up was if u have MS, it's probably the hug. I went to my Neurologist, they said to have an ekg done to make sure it's not my heart. I had 2 more episodes. Really bad burning and pain that feels like I'm being squeezed by a sea monster. Had ekg it came bk normal. I'm having a stress test in two weeks. Cardiologist doesn't think it's my heart. Does anyone think this is a hug. That's a ****** name. Thanks, D
D-
Sounds like the infamous "Hug". A hug sounds enjoyable while this is definitely not! I rarely get them but when I do it's bad! Everyone is different. For me it feels like someone shoved a wedge between my shoulder blades and is trying to pry my chest apart. Lots of pressure, no position eases the pain. No triggers that I could nail down. It was this current episode that brought me to this page in search of relief. In a hot tub now after trying an hour of massage & lots of Motrin. I'm not in tears anymore! Great sign. 3 hours has been the longest for me. I hope you find the answers you seek!
-TP
Hi there and welcome to our little MS community.

I noticed you mentioned " In a hot tub now....." please please be careful, hot tubs, saunas, hot spas etc are not recommended for people with MS, the heat is known to bring on a pseudo relapse but unfortunately it can sometimes bring on a full relapse.

The 'hot bath test' use to be how MS was dxed, if a patient was suspected of having MS, they'd put them in a hot bath and if their sx's reappeared or got worse then they were dx with MS.

If you have MS, please don't try hot tubs!

Cheers.........JJ