Multiple Sclerosis Community
Post Severe Muscle Spasm

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Post Severe Muscle Spasm

I experience a severe muscle spasm about 1 month ago.  I was sleeping in bed when I was woken by a muscle spasm in my upper right thigh which made me scream out in pain.  Post this spasm I had a lot of pain above my right knee for about 3 weeks and now that pain has seemed to have moved below my knee and now I am unable to kneel on the right knee without severe burning pain below and to the right of my right knee.  It feels like a tissue is lit on fire and the pain subsides shortly after straightening the leg however it is excrutiating when it occurs.
I have spasms quite frequently, but periodically I get these nrain-nimbing whole leg spasms that go from my hip to toes and last 25 minutes. They usually occur daily for about a week, then disipate. For several days after these, My legs feel like I have severely pulled those muscles. It feels like I just ran a left-legged marathon  (only get them on the left). Feels like sunburnt below the skin and sometimes leg is so tight, my ankle or knee pops when I force it to bend. I do not know why this occurs, and I have no diagnosis. But you are not alone in this weird phenomenon. Mine's not quite the same, but pretty similar.

Hang in there.

Penn
Hey girls....

Wanted to tell you about the burning pain you are feeling after your bouts with spasms.  Try to think of your muscle going into that spasm.  It would be like working out that muscle at a gym.  Remember when people would say, "Exercise till it burns."  Well ladies, if you have one spasm after another, your muscle is contracting and releasing, contracting and releasing....then the muscle gets fatigued.  Then comes the burn.  Just like the muscle has been overworked...why?  Because it has.

This burning you both speak of is a daily part of my life.  The worst part about me having MS is the horrible pain and spasms.  I have dealt with this for years.  I have yet to find anything that comes close to stopping the spasms all together.  I have tried everything.  Zanaflex, Neurontin, Trileptal and on and on and on.  Nothing has worked.

I describe the burn as someone taking a blow-torch to my legs and just holding it there.  It's awful, as you both already know.

I wish I had an answer for you two.  If I knew what would help, I would surely tell you.  I feel for both of you....

Heather
Thanks for the info Heather...sure hope they eventually find something to stop this hell altogether!  This is about the scariest thing I have ever been through and I am so nervous now about what they might find in the MRI tomorrow and how long I will have to wait for the bonehead dr. to give me the results!