Prednisone, works or not?
I was put on a 1250mg prednisone treatment for 5 days over 10 day period. This was supposed to help this attacki have been having for 5 months now. I didnt feel any changes at all, no energy, no milder symptoms, no hunger, nothing, 10 days later, symptoms are getting stronger again. My nurologist is unavailable for another appointment until july. Am i expecting to much of the presciption, or did the Rx fail me?
My neuro always puts me on IVSM and it helps me alot.

This could just be something that isn't working for you right now and maybe something stronger is in order. Prednisone never really gives me energy, or added hunger either. Can you talk to your neuro or neuros nurse over the phone to let them know that it didn't help and you need something else to help you get through this?

I hope you find some relief soon :)

Paula
Thanks, i appreciate your information, 1 question though,  What is IVSM? Just wondering, if i can ever get a hold of my Neuro, Thanks.
My neurologist put me on a low dose of prednisone for my ON.  I didn't feel it helped at all but I don't really want to go on a higher dose.  Next time I go to the neurologist I was going to ask about the IVSM as well.  As far as I understand, IVSM is when they give you an infusion of steroids direct into your vein (although, I may be wrong?)
Shay, could you please clarify how your steroid therapy was ordered?  How much  prednisone did you take each day?  For how many days at each dose?  Was 1250mg your daily dose or was that the total dose contained in the course?  Did you take it every day or every other day?

It is hard to tell what you could have expected without more information.  Are you diagnosed with MS?  Was this your first time on steroids?  What type of symptoms are you having?  

Generally, MS symptoms that have expressed themselves for as long as five months are less responsive to antiinflammatory treatment (what steroids do) and will require time and/or other treatments for resolution to begin.

Not everyone gets a lot of steroid side effects.  Some of that is dose related but different people also react (or fail to react) according to their own body chemistry and past exposure.  Sometimes, benefit can even be seen after the steroid course is completed.

IVSM is intravenous solumedrol - the equivilent of oral prednisone - that is injected into a vein (taking about 60 minutes per dose).  The usual dose given to treat MS flares (also known as exacerbations) is 1GM (or 1000mg) once daily X 3-5 days.

Welcome to you and looking forward to hearing more of your story.

Mary
It is generally believed that low dose steroids and ORAL steroids at ANY dose are ineffective to treat ON.  Large dose IVSM is the only accepted treatment when trying to decrease inflammation in an attempt to restore vision as early as possible.  NO treatment will halt or limit the demyelination.  Reveral of symptoms usually occurs with time but is not always complete.  IVSM may help speed improvement but it doesn't cure ON.

Mary

This was my first time on steroids,my dose was 1250mg Oral (25 pills) every other day for 10 days. i was diagnosed with MS in 2007 when i first went down with vertigo. Gravol was the treatment at the time for me, That exaserbetion lasted approx 5 months.
This time it is affecting my hands, legs and feet, with numbness (if it can be called that) and MS Hug from mid ribs down. After this amount of time i have come to recognize head pains with changes in symptoms.  I am happy because i am still walking, but am seriously challenged trying to keep up with my 1 and 2 year old, which is why he wanted me to try this treatment, and i was willing to try it.
Thankyou   for clarifying treatments  for me,

Shannon
Wife had severe, continual, increasing headache and upper back/neck pain for several months. She had refused to take steroids ever in the 10 years she had been MS diagnosed. Last week she gave in and was given 500 mg/day in single daily doses for 3 days.

Immediately prior I had to carry her from wheelchair to toilet. By 2 hours after first dose pain was gone. By the 2nd day she could make transfer unassisted.

Awesome results.    
I agree with Mary. Oral steroids are typically ineffective. I have taken them several times with no gains at all. I was then given IVSM infusions for 5 days and the results were amazing. I honestly felt better than I had in years!

Good luck,
Deb