Multiple Sclerosis Community
See a neurologist?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

See a neurologist?

About 2.5 years ago (a few months after giving birth to my son)I had numbness and tingling in my arms for about a week and legs for a few days.  Also had an MRI at that time that returned as normal.  

I saw my doctor last week with MS like symptoms - 24 hrs worth of prickly lower legs, numbness in my nose, aching pain in my inner thigh/groin.  I had a Brain and Cervical MRI with and without contrast yesterday.  The results came back normal. The numbness and tingling are gone.  The aching in my leg appears only after sitting for longer periods (i.e. after a day of work).  My nose itches 1-2 times per day but not sure if that is just normal itching or related to numbness.  

Since the symptoms have subsided again, I am not sure if it makes sense to see a neurologist.  The tests discussed with my GP are expensive and may result in no answers.  What would you recommend - wait and see or visit with neurologist?
Hi Sands

Quick question - what does normal results on your MRI mean?  Were there any changes between the 2 MRIs?  Any lesions at all?
Usually, but not always, MS does not attack both sides of the body, but chooses one or the other.

MS is like a slow moving train, it won't run you over in a hurry.  Am assuming there were no lesions as you state they came back normal.

I'd look in another direction, particularly circulatory?
What other tests does your gp mean? Does he want a lumbar puncture done? I think if both mri's are clear then there could be another cause for your symptoms. Are you particularly anxious? Anxiety can definitely cause numbness
With clear MRI's and resolving symptoms, I would take a wait and see approach.

From my experience MS itching is unrelenting. It is around for extended periods and nothing will make it go away. I was one step away from trying coarse sand paper :-)

Kyle
Thanks all for the responses.  

There were no lesions on either of the MRIs. The prickling/tingling is not constant.  I am having some tonight.  When it is present it tends to be more noticable at night and is definitley not concentrated to one side of the body.  When I am more active (i.e. moving around vs. sitting) it seems to be almost non-existent.  The nose itching continues and is more annoying than anything.  The other tests included the lumbar puncture.  I would not say that I have any anxiety... in fact the opposite should be true.  I recently finished graduate school and have less stress than normal.  

I spoke to the GP again today.  At this point going to wait and see.