Multiple Sclerosis Community
Severe head pain

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Severe head pain

Overnight, my severe neuromuscular symptoms suddenly started October 2004. I was in perfect health, no problems. In two months, I was in an electric wheelchair. I have hourly relapses, monthly progression, and no diagnosis. June 12th, back of my head, left side, four hours, I had such severe pain that I would have shot the first person who walked in the door. I never had anything like that before. I have a high tolerance for pain but this was like I was being sharply jabbed with an icepick, real bad. Twice in two and a half years, right side of brain, 48 hours each, I had severe pain, not migraines, but it felt like someone was taking a knife and stabbing me over and over again. Does MS cause such severe head pain? All of my MRI's have been negative so it isn't a stroke or TIA or cancer. One time, entire right side of head, as if you divided my head in half, the scalp was extremely sensitive to touch, 48 hours. Do lesions ever cause symptoms? (but no lesions can be found on my MRI's) I remain positive but I am largely homebound, often bedridden, and no doctor knows what is going on. However, I have 100% of the symptoms of Progressive-Relapsing MS, without diagnosis. I have had several neurologists who stated "I give up", expressing extreme frustration at me. Can MRI's be flawed?
I can only reply briefly tonight, as I am fatigued, but I had to say something.  I'll write more tomorrow.

It's not that MRI's are flawed.  It's that they aren't necessarily sensitive enough to pick up lesions.  One woman here had classic symptomatic MS without lesions for years.  Finally her brain revealed generalized atrophy.  When the new 3 Tesla magnet MRI's became available, finally her lesions showed up.

I was misdiagnosed for over a year because I only had one lesion and a body full of disease.  My recent MRI on the GE T3 machine now reveals lesions throughout my spine.  Most MS specialists will say that many/most of the lesions in MS still cannot be seen by current MRI's.

What did your spinal tap show?  What have the evoked potentials show?

Yes, MSer's have a higher incidence of headaches of all kinds, especially migraine.  The headaches you describe sound like "Ice Pick Headaches" officially known as "Primary Stabbing Headaches." You can read about them by search for Ice pick headache.

What did the LP show?  Quix

Thanks. I'll read up on ice pick headaches. My MRI's and labs are always negative. I have not had a spinal tap. My evoked potentials and nerve conduction studies are always negative. What is a LP? Over $100,000 of testing and labs were done, the finest and best, including, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, and Shands of Gainesville, FL. I am too ill to be tortured again with testing. My father suddenly passed in February 2004. Although he had cancer, the autopsy revealed plutonium and uranium poisioning. After a three year top secret US government investigation, what I can tell you, declassified, is that in the 35 years of being a PhD physicist at a nuclear plant in the states for developing nuclear weapons, he was exposed to radiation, (which caused his cancer), specifically August '53-August 63, when the nuclear weapons were detonated inside the plant. I was shocked to read the declassified report. I never knew this before. I was born in May '54. According to the government, declassified intel, my family and I, and other families living within five miles of this nuclear plant were likely exposed to radiation, August '53-August '63, during this testing period. I show no signs of radiation poisioning. However, the exposure probably damaged me. Mayo Clinic said I had altered or mutated cells. I am convinced that MRI's cannot work for me. I don't have cancer. I have 100% of the symptoms of PR-MS, without diagnosis. Professor Hall