Smoking, Second-hand smoke, and MS
I'm curious as to how many people with MS or MS-like symptoms smoked or was raised around parents that smoked.  My parents smoked heavily around my sister (also diagnosed with MS) and I.

1
1. Never smoked and was not raised around it

4
2. Never smoked but grew up around smokers

6
3. Smoked several years before diagnosis/symptoms but gave it up

4
4. Smoked before diagnosis/symptoms and continue to smoke

4
5. Smoked after symptoms/diagnosis but was raised around smokers

4
6. Smoked after symptoms/diagnosis and was not raised around smoking
You're missing an item!  Both Mom and Dad smoked when I was a child - Mom gave it up before my sister was born.  I smoked for seven years before quitting at age 31.
My mother drank alcoholically, smoked, and took amphedimines while pregnant. I was full term at a little over 4 pounds. My Doctors think this set up delicate immune system. Three adults in my family smoked heavily around me growing up. My mother used to blow smoke in my face and watch me choke as I  used my asthma inhaler. She thought it was funny.

I tried to smoke in high school but the asthma prevented it.

Alex
Both parents smoked.  Mom finally quit when I was around 13 and she was 41 or so, because she had heart disease.  As the youngest, I was always the one that ended up in the front seat between them, puffing away with the A/C on and windows rolled up.  Dad drank and drove, too.
I grew up around smokers and smoked quite heavily most of my adult life.

Interestingly, and I and sure completely coincidentally, my MS symptoms were "mild" up until 2 1/2 years ago, it started to get bad couple of months after I STOPPED smoking.

Mand
Neither of my parents smoked and only one grandparent did, my grandfather and he smoked cigars.  I think cigarettes before I was born.  I forgot my dad smoked when I was very young.  I can barely remember it.

I have smoked all of my teen and adult life.  Back then we didn't realize how bad it was.  The Marlboro Man was still sexy.

Yesterday I went to my first smoking cessation class.  She wanted us to continue smoking this week so we could identify our triggers.  I have already done that and I had already psyched myself up for quitting so I bought my own patches this week.  

Today is day one.  I need all the good thoughts you can send my way :)

terry
God bless you, my friend.  Been there; done that; don't want to do it again.

Mom was a heavy smoker, Dad a light one.  I smoked from about 15 until I was in my 30s, if I recall correctly.  Quitting was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  Don't anyone try to tell me that nicotine isn't highly addictive.  At 52, I am more thankful than ever that God got me through that ordeal.
I grew up around smokers, and smoked a little while myself in my teens (gave it up by age 20).