Virchow-Robin Perivascular Spaces
Hi Guys,
Loads of questions today.  I obtained a report of my last brain MRI and it says that I have prominant/enlarged Virchow-Robin Perivascular spaces just rostral to the basal Ganglia.

I wonder if that would have any bearing on my dystonia? or what I think is dystonia that is happening in my hand.  As I was told that Dystonia comes from the basal ganglia.  Does anyone understand or know the relevance of these spaces, or are they something most people have?  I was 45 at time of MRI, non smoker/ healthy apart from my neurological symptoms.

Thanks in Advance.
My neuro has not seen this report as it was ordered by the ENT Specialist but they checked for MS as well, in the report it says they found no active MS plaques, this makes me wonder if they did find a plaque, oh well I will take my CD and report to my neuro.  From what I understand Virchow-Robin spaces can be normal, but they can be associated with certain diseases too and I think dystonia is one of them (interesting)...
VR or enlarged perivascular spaces are not uncommon in people with MS.  

"They contain macrophages and lymphocytes and have been suggested to be the site of entry for these cells of the immune system to the CSF."
-Gray, Henry and Standring,Susan  "Gray's anatomy: the anatomical basis of clinical practice," Oxford University Press, 2005 p212

So in theory, VR space are a "weak point" in the Blood Brain Barrier.

Bob
Interesting info, thanks, I appreciate it.  That MRI was done in July last year and ordered by my ENT Specialist, apparently I have profound sensorineural hearing loss in my right ear, he requested an MRI to exclude a retro cochlear lesion, I went to him to see if my balance and vertigo was anything to do with my ears.  So MRI was focusing on the 8th cranial nerves etc. but they did check for MS too.

I know I have something wrong, what happens to me is not normal.  I hope I can finally get some answers!!  Thanks for your reply, your information is excellent and I like the fact that you could reference it.  Thanks Bob.  I will let you know what the neuro has to say.
Of interest is that these spaces are most often enlarged/dilated in the elderly as normal brain atrophy shrinks away from this site.  When noted in patients with MS the answer from our neuros has always been:  "It's a normal variant."

However, a hallmark of MS is early brain atrophy and at least one study has shown them to be more common in people with MS.  The study that Bob references may be the one I have spoken about repeatedly.  I'll see if I can find it.
P-V spaces are the space aroound the blood vessels as they pierce the lining closest to the brain.  Picture my arm as a blood vessel.  I push it through a layer of plastic wrap.  Initially the wrap pushes in with my arm, but eventually opens and my  arm (the blood bessel) pierces the wrap (the brain lining) and goes on into the brain.  Where the wrap is stretched there is a little space or potential space right around my arm between the wrap and the arm.

Just in case any one was wondering.

Thanks Quix,
and welcome back, you have been missed. I was wondering, I really didn't understand it all. Thanks for the explanation.  I will be interested to obtain a copy of my previous brain MRI which was 3  or 4 years earlier and see if they were enlarged and prominent on that report.

I think it's time I had another brain MRI, it's been over 2 years since I seen the neuro.

Cheers,
Udkas

I just found a study/article where Virchow-robin Spaces can be a bit of a red flag for MS, apparently on a study a large proportion of the people who had the Virchow Robin Spaces developed MS.  Interesting article.  Can't wait to see what my neuro thinks, I will be asking!!!  Sorry forgot the stats already, must be tired.
I have enlarged VR spaces and has shown farther enlargement and brain shrinkage. Increase T2 increased foci.

They also tell me this could be age related. They have been telling me that since i was 45. Hope you find better answers.
Raz

I was 45 when I had the last scan done, it will be interesting to see if it was noted on my previous scan.  I am not really expecting any great answers and from what I have read it can be classified as normal aging but they look at it a bit more closely in the setting of other neurological symptoms etc.  I just wondered if it was seen on my brain MRI 4 years earlier ( I will be asking)

Udkas
wow. i was just reseaching the relationship between dystionia virchow robin space. I resently was dx with dystonia AND my MRI states,"some prominent Virchow Robin spaces in basal ganglia and cerebral. Your right about dystonia involvement with basal ganglia. So I say we are right. I visit my neurologist tomorrow to discuss MRI results.
I have virchow robins perivascular can I fly I'm 50years old
Hi stadium - Welcome to our group. This thread is a little on the old side. Most of the posters no longer visit. You may get better response if you Post A Question and introduce yourself :-)

Kyle