Multiple Sclerosis Community
What does MS look like?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

What does MS look like?

This to everyone!
What does a person with MS look like? I was out the other day and this person told me, You don't look like you have MS. I thought maybe I would get me a hat like Phylis Diller use to wear and the next time some one say's you don't look like you have MS. I'm going to put it on and say how about now!!
Any suggestions?

Elizabeth
The Phylis Diller hat sounds like the best bet.  I personally am glad and happy when other's tell me that "you don't look like you have MS."  I say thanks and go on my way, rather than sit there and explain all that is wrong in my body.  I would suppose that MS is not the only disease that is "Invisilbe," to most...don't you agree?

Heather
I'm glad also that people say I don't look like I have MS.
My husband and I sat down and try to picture what people may think we should look like. You should have seen some of these pictures. It sure is great to be able to lol most of the time.
My mom at 80 had a massive heart attack. Lost 40% of her heart had 5 bypass and patched at quarter size hole between the left and right ventricle. She is now 88. She does circles around me but she always has. So obviously when she parks in the handicap people look at her funny. She just smiles. She knows she has lived 7 yrs longer than the dr thought.

Elizabeth
One of the good thing about MS is that unless you tell people what you have, it would go unnoticed.  On the same token, you may feel like your day is dragging on you and people would say, but you don't look sick.  It depends who makes the comment.

I don't have a clue of how we should look, if it is like this is our last they on earth, then I do not want to look that way either.  We have to feel that we are on top of the world, but that when we are on that top we have taken our MS with us.  Like I say, We have MS, but MS does not have us!!!!!!!!!!

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much we explain to people who do not know what MS is, the same people would not understand how MSers look like.  So, for all it matters, wear your MS with dignity and wear it with your best.

Remember we do not go around other people inquiring what is wrong with them.  I think that we have enough on our plate to care if look or don't that we have MS.  Our condition is much more complicated than  that.

If anyone else tells you that you do not look like you have MS, tell them that you appreciate their comment and let them carry the burden of looking for  the explanation they want.

Take good care of yourself,

Gooddays

I USE TO WORRY ABOUT THE INCONSIDERATE COMMENTS MADE BY OTHERS.

WHAT DOES MS LOOK LIKE,WELL ABOUT 5 FOOT 2. A 116 POUNDS,WEARS ABOUT 3 IN JEANS,BROWN HAIR,GREEN EYES.DARN I LOOK GOOD FOR 42!!!!!!

I WEAR LEG BRACES ,SO I GET ALL SORTS OF A LUDE COMMENTS.MANY I DISREGARD.

THIS DISEASE DOES NOT HAVE AN EXTERNAL PICTURE ITS AN INTERNAL,SOCIETY IS NOT EDUCATED ON MS,SO IN RETURN MANY ARE IGNORANT ON ITS APPEARENCE.

MS ISN'T ME,ITS A PART OF ME.

I GUESS ITS A PERSONAL CHOICE ON HOW TO RESPOND TO OTHERS.

T-LYNN
SIZE 3!!!!  I'M SORRY, BUT NOTHING I READ AFTER THAT REGISTERED.  I'M SURE IT WAS GOOD, THOUGH.

ZILLA*
I agree with Momzilla a size 3. I haven't seen a size 5 since I delivered my son in 1985. Yes I was a size 5. Now I'm a size 5X????

Thanks for all the post. It is hard and I know I have to just put grease on my shoulders and let the commiments slip off. But it is hard. My husband is helping out alot but turning the comments into a funny looking joke.

There is a new doctor in my town. Not a neuro but a doctor for internal medicine. (I fired my GP) I was typing up my medical history and medications. I noticed that in the 1980's I had 3 bladder repairs in one year. I was only 25 at that time.
Now I can drink glass after glass of liquid and not pee more than a teaspoon. This just started in last few days. By the end of the day I look pregnant. Where is this liquid going? She is going to check it out for me.  I called her today and I was given an appointment for 8:00am tomorrow.

Have a great day
Elizabeth