does drinking alcohol have an affects on ms?
as i stated withvthevtitle does drinking alcohol have an ill effects on ms is there any research done onthis ? thanks
giggling88
It was explained to me that alcohol does effect MS because they both envolve the CNS. Alcohol will effect your symptoms and make them worse for this reason. It is suggested that we limit the amount we drink.

I don't have to deal with this issue because I have been a member of AA since 1985. Also if you check your medicines most of them recommend that alcohol be avoided. It just doesn't mix well with most of the drugs we have to take. Why don't you talk to your PCP. and see what they think.

I know a lot of people use alcohol as a means of relaxing, It is always a good policy to make sure all of your Medications are compatible with each other and what you shouldn't eat or drink while taking them.  This is always my first question when ever I am given a new drug.

Have a restful evening, and a love filled week. Happy Thanksgiving too,,, {{{~!~}}} DJ
I just don't FEEL like drinking as my symptoms have worsened over the last two years...I just don't have the urge or desire.

I have a glass of wine with dinner, but that's about all.  The afternoon beer is gone and not missed, the brandy after dinner is a rarity any more, just because the desire isn't there...  This is all probably a good thing.  My liver already has her work cut out for her.

Happy Thankful,
Guitar_grrrl
I have not read any study on drinking and MS.  I have heard some stuff on smoking and MS though.  Interesting enough I too have lost almost all interest in drinking.  Which is a little strange because I use to party it up quite a bit in my younger days.  I enjoyed drinking but have not even wanted to in a few years.  I will still have a couple beers on occasion but I will say that I don't feel good with drinking now.  Even if I just have a beer or two my head doesn't feel right or my body.  Within a couple hours it almost feels like I have the brain fog and cr**py feeling of a bigger hangover.  

I have always been able to, in one way or another, really whack my head around during my life, crashes, etc.  Which is how the doctor discovered my lesions.  The way my doctor put it, as he was trying to tell me to not bounce my head off the ground anymore, was that I have a brain injury, the brain is hurt in a way.  So I think that anything like alcohol is not going to help something that is already not operating correctly.  I don't think a few drinks here and there would in someway make MS more aggressive or take a worse path but I can definately see how it could temporarily make things worse while it is in your system.  Much like heat, cold, exaustion, or anything else does.
thank you for your input. i was just curious on this topic. i was a heavy drinker when iwas 14 and 15 but i have cut back a ton in general i only have about two drinks a month.

the reason i asked was as you pointed out last night i had a mixed drink of rum and orange juice and i notice a worsening of my dizziness and spasms  so i was interest to see if others had any issues. thanks again
giggling88