Multiple Sclerosis Community
high sed rate and crp

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

high sed rate and crp

I now have a very high sed rate and crp, that has been going up for over a year. What auto-immune diseases could cause both these?
How high is very high?

What are your symptoms?

Are you aware this is a forum for people with multiple sclerosis or those who suspect they may have the disease?  Have you been diagnosed with MS?

Both these tests are general indicators that there is inflammation somewhere in your body.  They usually don't indicate a specific disease.

A rheumatologist would likely be the best type of doctor for you to see.  There is also a forum for people with autoimmune diseases on MedHelp.

Hope this helps a little.
Mary
A high sed rate is a sign that the body is fighting off an infection/inflammation. For example an UT infection.

I have regular blood work done, and it's within the normal ranges, and I do have MS but when an infection is present, that's when the sed rate ramps up - quite rapidly too, not over a period of a year.

IMO a high sed rate is not an indication of having MS - just that your body is fighting off something.

As Mary said do you have MS?  If not there is something going on that needs further investigation.

Debs

I have not been diagnoised with ms or anything yet, I am in the process of seeing drs.,  sed rate 102 and crp is 1.87. I have been to a Rheumalogist, and a cancer dr. and I am seeing a neurologist next week. Last yr my sed rate was 71 for a high. right now I am just grabbing at straws. I have had alot of ms symptoms, tingling, vertigo, headaches,  blurred vision. Wish me luck.
Linda
Lupus can cause a high sed rate and CRP.  It can also give you a lot of neurological symptoms.  

Have you had an ANA test?  You probably have, but this test can and does fluctuate with the ebb and tide of the disease.

I have cancer and has both of those high.  It is a sign of imflammation. But you've already ruled that out!
my Rheummy said I didn't have Lupus from bloodwork, Is that the ana test you mentioned.
i hope you are managing your cancer.  I had a polyp removed last week on my stomach, and will find out Mon if it is cancerous.  Lord I hope not, I would rather have MS.  Good luck to you.
Good luck Linda.  I hope you find the specialist with the answers you need soon.  Maybe your primary doc can investigate more to narrow down the possibilities before sending you on the full round robin of specailities?  It has got to be hard to wait and continue to feel sick as you are sent from one specialist to another.

I'm wondering if a hemotologist could help.  Maybe?
Mary
Hi Floridaalaa

Thanks for your concern!  My cancer is called Multiple Myeloma and it is currently in remission after a stem cell transplant.  So at the moment I feel pretty good.  Some ongoing health things I'm dealing with but compared to how horrible I felt before getting diagnosed I feel like a whole other person so I'm trying to just do the things I want to do and live optimistically.  MM has no cure and is prone to relapse. But there are new drugs that seem to be very effective and I hope to live a long live, all be it living with Myeloma (but not dieing from it!)  I keep posting here because while I don't have MS I have a chronic disease that is prone to relapse so most of the folks on here are the only people who can really relate to what that is like.  Before I got diagnosed I had MS like symptoms in that Myeloma is blood disease and affects the whle body and in my case it was affecting my nerves!

good luck I hope you get some answers! And that you are cancer free!
Thanks, I did go to a hemotologist...he said no blood cancer. So I am just eliminating at this point. My primary Dr. is very good, and she is the one pushing me to find out, She said she knows something is going on and we need to find out what.  She sent me to the Rhemmy first, then the Hemo next, now going to the neuro.
I am going to read up on MM, Sounds like you have really faught a battle, keep up the spirit, that is half the battle and good luck. how long have you had this disease?  
You have been to a hematologist so at least you know you don't have MM.  It's a rare blood / bone marrow cancer.
Having a high  SED rate, ESR, is not just an indication of fighting off an infection.  It means your body has an elevated level of inflammation and is in overdrive. Then the DR/Specialist will begin other testing to find out where it could be coming from.  At the age of 42 I came down with mono. Never got well and now have over 15 autoimmune diseases.  I still think they are misdiagnosing on the MS side.  I have all the symptoms after 14years of being ill and the MS symptoms seems to be worse.  My sed rate just went up to over 110 and that is the highest it has ever been, also I have a high CRP.  Hang in there everyone.  It is tough as now my teeth are coming out due to dry mouth, medications and diseases. No matter how much I brush.

Take care everyone and try to laugh once a day really hard.
Try getting tested for NMO neuromylettis optica, if you haven't yet. They have a blood test that test you for antibodies. It tends to mimic MS...

Now 70% of patients who have NMO come back positive and 30% come back negative.