Multiple Sclerosis Community
twitching in shoulder and tremor in hand all on left side

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I have had twitching in my shoulder blade area for 3 to 4 weeks now. I recently in the past 2 or 3 weeks started to have a tremor in my left hand that is more prominent when I point my finger.

Could both of these symptoms be related in some way, since they are both happening on my left side?
This is also the side that my thumb was twitching for 3 months as well.

Are these symptoms any of you have had also, and is twitching in the same area for weeks common in ms?

Since this has been going on for close to a month, is this a possible flare?? I don't know what to think.

thanks, Pam
Left shoulder and hand are all innervated though the brachial plexus.  The root nerves exit the spinal cord from C5-T1.  A left sided spinal lesion or a right sided lesion in the motor cortex could lead to these type of symptoms.  They could very well be related.  I'd call the neuro, because these symptoms seem to be progressing, and that may indicate it is time to hit it with IVSM .

Bob
Do you have a neuro you see regularly?  This might be a good question for him/her.  I get twitches off and on and it's very annoying!  Do you notice weakness when you have twitches in those areas?  Tightness?  
Yes, I do see a neuro regularly, and as a matter of fact, I am going tomorrow to an ms clinic in Rochester, NY .
I don't feel weakness when I am twitching, I have only had some tightness in my upper back when I am in a spasm for hours.

The spasms havent happened at the same time as the twitching though.

Thanks so much for your response,
Pam
HI Pam, and good luck tomorrow.

I have had twitching in my left eye lid, and my left pectoral area.  Twitching in my left eye lid was off and on for quite a while but I haven't had it in a while.  Same with the left pectoral.  I didn't have them at the same time.   My neuro didn't really seem to think much of this - but I'm already on DMD.

Bob
OK I'm highjacking here - hope you don't mind Pam.  

Cobob - I've had pain in my left thumb sometimes going up into my elbow for the past few days - off and on -seems to be less today than the past few days -  but the twitiching in my left pectoral that extends into my shoulder has died down and isn't as often as it used to be.  

Do I need to be concerned about the pain in the thumb?
Bob, You should be a doctor!!!!!!   I choose you to be mine!LOL

I guess that its a good thing that I am going to see an MS specialist tomorrow in Rochester. I hope I get some answers.

When I was seen at my GP's office, and I showed her how my left pointer finger was flapping and tremoring all over when I would point and that the top of my left hand was becoming inflamed red and itchy again plus the muscle twitching in my shoulder blade........ she became very concerned and said she believes that these are signs of progression.

Do you think she means progression of ms?
Is this how secondary progressive ms is dx'd?
Thanks Bob for all of your knowledge!!

Pam
That gets complicated.  That is a mixed symptom.  Motor tracts are on the anterior part of the cord and sensory tracts are on the posterior part of the cord.  A cervical on the left lateral side of the cord between C5 and T1 could create a mixed sensory-motor symptom.  At least in theory.  Part of the pectorals is innervated by the cranial accessory nerve (CN 11).  This is where the testing by the neurologists comes into play.

Your description of the tremor getting worse with pointing may indicate a cerebellar sign related to Kinetic Tremor or an Intention Tremor.  Intention Tremors are a specific subtype of Kinetic Tremors.
She may just mean "progression of the neurologic signs," not that that is a bad thing.  If the signs progress, the Neurologist might get back on the tracks.  Sometimes, these Neuro need to get slapped up side the head by Captain Obvious to get the message.
Hi Pam,

Remind me, you also have c-spine disc issues in that area? My memory is not so good these days, but I thought you had that going on too for some reason. I know I do, and it's chronic especially when they are bulging or herniated. Causes jumping in my thumb and pain in shoulder, arm, etc. Add on the lesions in the c-spine and it's a hot mess.

-Shell

Bob and Shell,

I thank you both.  As far as these Neuros getting a slap up side the head by Captain Obvious sounds great to me!!! That was awesome, made me laugh after a day of  being frustrated and  getting absolutely nowhere.
I was up at 5:30 this morning, got my kids off to my sister's house so she can get my son ready for school and to watch my daughter so that I can be driven by my husband 2 1/2 hrs. away for " NOOOOOOOOOO Answers" I don't even know what to say.

Maybe something good came out of this, he wants me to have an Evoked Potential test done in his office along with another EEG. It figures that I am scheduled for my eye surgery on Jan. 26th and the date he wanted to schedule my test was for jan. 31st. There is no way I can do it. I have to call them to schedule it at a later time.

He asked me some questions, he did throw the word ms out there but started in with the fibro. thing. Then he said something about central sensitazion?? sp.?
I honestly cannot stand this anymore. I don't know how anyone can have the patients for this back and forth, waiting game and being poked and prodded and tested and shocked and OMG!!!!!
I really think that I am getting too tired to even care anymore.
I basically worried about getting a dx, because of my kids. I want to be in the best shape for them and have the right medication to treat what is really wrong,
At this point ,,, I am alive, and whatever God gives me I can handle... I know what is wrong with me whether an almighty Doctor dx me or not!! I am so frustrated.

I sit here feeling that same old twitch in my shoulder, and pain shooting through my left jaw area, my hand is still tremoring, but oh well...... I can deal with it. right?

Shell, yes I do have  bulging discs, from c5 throught c7. It was the most excruciating pain I ever felt.

Sorry for going on and on, but I think I will let this go. Hopefully nothing major will happen to me. Only time will tell. It's the wait and see thing right??

Thanks for listening and being  here for me,
Pam
Right before going to bed last night my left thumb started to twitch,
I feel like a twitchy mess!!!!!