Multiple Sclerosis Community
vitamin D

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

vitamin D

Does anyone know the the relationship between Vitamin D and MS and if you take supplements, will it help prevent relapses?

I was just reading something about this from a report from the UK--and their research suggests that it does seem to help.  I also wonder if you can give vitamin supplements to children/teens and if that will help to prevent the disease later in life.

I read that taking it when your pregnant could help your unborn child, but my kids are way past that, and so i wondered if at their age, their would be a beneift.

Just wondering if anyone's dr had recommend the supplement and how many IU's and if you know anything else about it

Thanks.
There have been several previous posts about this and Ess alerted eveyrone's attention to it . Have a look in "Serach this Community" and put in "Vitamin D" and I am sure you will find some answers. There may also be something ont he health pages so check that out too.

From what I remember it is important to have Vitamin D levels checked and I intend to ask my neuro about this next time I see him in September.

Cheers, Sarah
I take 4000IU per day. I grew up in WA and have lived in Alaska for 30 years. sun exposure has to be equivalent to a lifeguard in CA that is out all day. MY neruologist (just out of school) 2 years ago said he had not heard of Vit D and MS relationship. Why? Midical schools don't teach stuff like that, so not their fault really. As more research is done a publishing in professional journals they will get the picture.

The military did a large study, those with low Vit D had a 60% higher chance of developing MS.

Blodd levela are good and I keep up with Vitamen D. Some people take as much as 10,000 U per day with no ill affect.

THANKS SLIGHTLY BROKEN FOR THOROUGH INFORMATION.

Jan
Optimum levels of Vit D also associated with lower rates of prostate, breast and colon cancer, though cause or effect hasn't been established from what I understand.

Great scoop here already! Simply stated vitamin D is crucial and the easiest thing to do is call your doctor if you don't have an appointment coming soon and say that you would like to know how much you should be taking per day and what kind they recommend.

Most likely they will call you back and order a blood test to check your levels and then either tell you an over the counter dose or like me and many others you will find that you need a much higher rx dose followed by OTC kinds with periodic level checks to be sure that you don't need the high dose stuff again.

Good Luck
Erin :)
Older levels of Vitamin were concerned ONLY with bone health and current thinking is that levels previously thought to be fine are too low.  

The old lower limit was about 21, and now has been raised to 30, though researchers in the field of vitamin D physiology recommend 50 and above.

They have pretty much doubled the recommended daily intake of Vitamin D for all age levels.

There is a direct correlation between a low Vitamin D level of the mother during gestation and a higher risk of developing MS by the child.

Personally, I take 8,000 IU daily.

Last year there was a study giving MS participants 44,000 IU daily for (??) six months or more.  There was a decrease in relapse activiy and no toxicity was seen, hover researchers in the field do not recommend that anyone take more than 10,000 IU daily without being monitored.  Not enough is known and there are certain medical conditions and meds that can predispose to toxicity.  I'll see if I can find that study again.

Quix
Does anyone know if it makes a difference whether D is taken daily, or if the daily dose x 7 is taken once a week?  I get lazy and/or forgetful and if I miss a day or two I will double or triple up next time I take it.  Am thinking once a week would be easy; a lot of pills to swallow in one day but then wouldn't have to think about it for another week.  I'm thinking as it is fat soluble, you wouldn't waste the excess peeing it out like with water soluble vitamins.  But perhaps that's too much on the liver, kidneys and/or stomach (???) all at once, and/or throw calcium levels out of whack?  Anyone have any idea?
I actually don't know, but the body does better with regular, smaller normally than with more and bigger doses.  I wouldn't think that the doubling up after a missed dose would be a problem.

Q
I did start taking the supplements.  I guess I should stop and have my levels checked.  Also, should i be giving my kids vitamin D??? or should i just have them drink alot of vitamin d fortified milk??  I would do whatever i could to prevent them from getting it..Too bad they didnt know about it years ago when i was pregnant.

I live in NJ--not enough sun year round here.  I also was born in April...My one daughter born in May, the other February, although her due date was beg. of March.  Again, had I known, i would have had fall or winter babies.

Anyway, thanks for the input.  I go to the dr. next wednesday and will request to have my vitamin d levels checked...is that enough time for the supplements to be out of my system??

I have a dx of SPMS, the docs say their is nothing that can be done but I found taking 16,000 I.U. Vit. D3 has helped a lot. I was stuck in an electric wheelchair, with use of only one arm. I can now walk about the house at least and have use of both arms most of the time. I do still get flare ups, my legs can sometime hurt a lot and feel like a ton of bricks, but it is still a lot better then it was, and a whole lot better then doing nothing. I am now going to start 40,000 per day, I don't think I have a lot to lose by trying it.