Neurology Expert Forum
CT angiogram and neurosurgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CT angiogram and neurosurgery

Hi, from Ottawa. first off I have a 4 cm bone tumor of superorbital local.  However my vision is not yet affected.  My neurologist suggests that there is very unlikely a chance that it causes my symptoms, which are:  never ending generalized headache behind forehead; widespread tense feeling of the muscles in the forehead, and eyes.  Also, I have trouble such as at supermarket checkout line, focusing on complex tasks such as using credit card, (multi-tasks) becomes quite confusing.  Another example is, being in some situations where the unexpected fright occurs...becomes difficult to concentrate beyond ho-hum relaxed state of mind.

And please try to understand this, I feel this is a major help to understand my symptoms-- although difficult to explain, you may think I'm foolish but please try to see---Previously, I can send a form of 'energy' through my abdomen, pelvic area, and the same through my head, after which my face turns very red and flush, however now that headache has set in permanently, I can no longer effect this "electric" sensation in my head, only lower pelvic area.   Does this description match any knowledge you hold?  at all?  What is the effect this is caused by?

Now, upon my insistance, nuerosurgery has agreed to see me for this tumor but has required CT angio prior to appoint, even though MR angio has been perform some 9 months ago. Please tell me 1) is CT angio necessary and safe, and 2) base on my description do you think this superorbit tumor possibly sound to effect my symptoms that I describe detailed above?   Thank you,  Jean/30/male
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
   The symptoms of headache, tense muscles and difficulty concentrating are non-specific and may be caused by a number of factors including tension-type headaches, transformed migraine headaches, and less likely seizures.  If your tumor is invading the underlying brain tissue or compressing the brain, it may give rise to seizures.  Seizures can cause strange sensations in the body that may feel like electric shocks, or sometimes a rising feeling in the stomach.  I would recommend that you start a migraine preventative medication such as Elavil, topamax, nadolol, etc, daily.  I would also suggest an EEG to evaluate for seizures.  CTA (Computed tomography angiography) is sometimes helpful after a MRA if a stenosis or other defect is found on the MRA (because MRA overcalls such problems).  Given the symptoms and story you provided, I would not think that a CTA would add anything to your diagnosis.  To ensure a CTA is safe you need to have good kidey function (get you BUN/Cr tested) and not have an allergy to iodine/contrast or shellfish.
I hope this has been helpful.
3) what do you think of the description I make of the "electic" sensation I can no longer effect at will?