Neurology Expert Forum
Head spins in waves, not bppv

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head spins in waves, not bppv

10 months ago, my head was spinning so bad, thought I was dying, ended up in er. Gave me perscription dramimine. Went away after about a week. Came back 6 months later, not as severe, mostly upon waking and bending, lasted about a week or two and went away. Now back again. When I get up suddenly or move my head quickly, the inside of my head feels like it's spinning. I close my eyes and hold still till it passes. went to ent. tested and negative for bppv which he thought it was. gave me rx dramimine. They don't help.  said next step would be neurologist, I guess. The sensation is very severe when it happens but passes. Why would it come and go in time periods. What test should I have done. I don't have money to waste on doctors and tests that don't tell me what's wrong.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
   The symptoms you describe are most consistent with vertigo arising from the inner ear.  As we age particles can break off in the ear and cause the sensation that you are moving but you are not.  I do not know what test your ENT did to evaluate for benign positional paroxysmal vertigo, but this syndrome can be hard to diagnose at times, and it sometimes does not respond to dramimine.  I would recommend an electro-nystagnogram (ENG) to test the response of your vestibular system by looking at your eyes.  I would also recommend trying other medications, such as valium to see if it is helpful.
   Rarely, Seizures or brainstem strokes can present with the symptoms you describe.  I think this is less likey in your case since your symptoms seem to be positional (comes and goes with movement).  However, I would recommend an MRI of your brain and EEG to evaluate for these possibilities.
I hope this has been helpful
Hi, I just your posting and I know you mentioned you don't want to go to a doctor.  Truthfully, I think you should see a neurologist.  That way he/she will be able to rule out all the nasty things and get you on the road to recovery.  Take care.
Good advice. I'm trying to find out what's going on first. Seems like I hear so many horror stories lately of doctors and hospitals that don't know what they're doing, mis-diagnosing and sending people home to later find out they have some serious disease. I guess I should have some faith. Anyway...I can function fully, exercise for 30 minutes with no problem yet I bend down quickly and my whole head spins, I pause and wait for it to pass. Could it be a blood flow issue? Other than the head spins I get around fine. It seems like it's a motion issue but thats what the ent thought it was but I tested negative for it. Still happens most when I get up quickly after laying but also happens now when I look up quickly or move my head quickly in a certain position. I appreciate any comment.
Hi there,

Sorry for your problem.

I was reading your thread and an inner ear problem popped up in my mind. Have you checked it?

Altough they say it occurs more often in old people, it can occurs in youger people too, and I'd a friend that had it.

Just a shot!

Good luck,

sorry, i just realized that it's written in the subjet - not bppv...

My bad.
Sounds to me as Mennier's Desease.