Nutrition Expert Forum
(Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits)

This forum is for questions and support regarding issues such as: Acne and food, Allergies to food, Balanced Menus , Diabetes , Eating Disorders, Healthy Snacks, Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia, Nutrition, Over-eating, Weight Loss .

(Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits)

My question is I have a very healthy diet, had my thyroid tested which is normal, however I lose lots of hair on my head, I do have thick hair, I was told Silica was good for hair and nails, has anyone heard of Diatomaceous Earth powder, (it's Fossil Flour) you take up to one tablespoon per day, mix it in water, for humans and animals, can you tell me if it is safe to take a 1 teaspoon per day of this natural form of silica for adults.
Are you (or the subject of the question) male or female?
:  
Female
What is your (or the subject of the question) height?
:  
5"5
What is your (or the subject of the question) weight (kg or lb)?
:  
63KG
From your measurements you are normal for your weight. Are you consuming 60gms or more of protein a day? Usually when protein intake is very low or eating incomplete proteins (plant sources and not combining them together), one of the side effects is hair loss. Hair loss can also be after having a baby with the hormone changes or certain illnesses. I do not recommend diatomaceous earth, however, if you do use it be careful you do not inhale it which can damage your lungs. Suggest increasing your protein intake and see what happens. Thank you for your question.
I don't know the full answer to your question, but I do know there is supposed to be a food grade form.  The kind you find in nurseries or in pet stores is the wrong grade.  One pet store where I live sells it for people who have hens and it's meant to be for their dust baths.  The plant nurseries sell it for insect control, and it works great for killing pests like fleas in the home.  I do know there is a food grade form, but as far as how safe it is for health benefits, I'm unsure.  But, you certainly can't use just any form of diatomaceous earth.
Thanks I do have the food grade form of Diatomaceous Earth , bought from a health food store, we live in Australia, a naturopath recommended it.
If a naturopath recommended it, it should be right for you.  A good naturopath actually works at getting to the root of what ever your health issues are.
Thanks Dr Renee' for your kind reply. Maybe I am not eating enough protein, I have had 6 children, lost hair when I was breastfeeding, I breastfeed for many years all my 6 children, however my youngest  children are now 11yrs old,  I am 48yrs, maybe hormones?, I won't take the food grade form of  Diatomaceous Earth , appreciate greatly your reply.
You can still use the food grade stuff for pest control, if used appropriately, so you don't waste your money.