Nutrition Community
CALORIES and EXCERCISE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

CALORIES and EXCERCISE

How many calories am I suppose to eat? I currently weigh 88 pounds and am 5' 3''. Recently about 2 months ago I got ACL reconstruction on my left leg. I can't really do anything except ride the stationary bike and swim. Any ideas on what excerices I could do?
Ankle Pumps
With each foot separately or at the same time, point and flex the toes as if pumping the gas pedal of a car repeatedly, 25-50 times every five to 10 minutes.

Ankle Circles
With each ankle separately or at the same time, rotate the ankles in a large circle about 10 times each direction, 25-50 times every five to 10 minutes.

Heel Slides (Knee Flexion)
This exercise will promote muscle activity of the hamstrings as well as help increase the amount of knee flexion.
Lie on the bed on your back, with legs straight and together and arms at the side.
Bring the heel of the operated leg toward your buttock to a point where a mild stretch is felt.
This position is held to a count of ten. Slowly return to the starting position.
This is repeated five to 10 times, two-three sets (one set described as when the exercise has been performed five-10 times) twice daily.

Quadriceps Setting
This is a good beginning exercise, as it not only initiates the needed muscle contraction, but is also helpful in increasing extension of the knee.
Push the back of the knee downward onto a flat surface.
Hold for five to 10 seconds, followed by relaxing for a short period of time.
Repeat five to 10 times, two-three sets (one set described as when the exercise has been performed five-10 times) twice daily. (The amount of discomfort will determine how many each individual can perform.)

Straight Leg Raising
This is another excellent exercise to promote strength to the quadriceps and the flexor muscles important in walking.
Keeping the operated leg as straight as tolerated, raise it approximately six to ten inches upward.
Hold for five-10 seconds, and then lower slowly to the start position.
Repeat five to 10 times progressing to 20 times, two-three sets twice daily (one set described as when the exercise has been performed five-10 times).
Once this exercise can be done without any difficulty, gradual resistance at the ankle (such as the use of ankle weights) can be used to further strengthen the muscles. The amount of weight used should be increased in no more than one-pound increments. The individual bends the uninvolved leg by raising the knee and keeping the foot flat on a flat surface. This will help decrease or avoid unwanted strain on the lower back region.
There is no set number of calories any human being should have. There are recommendations for daily caloric intake but nothing concrete. A typical 16 year old will burn about 2000 to 2500 calories/day depending on the level of activity, metabolism.
obviously more than you are eating currently