Nutrition Community
HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND EGG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND EGG

Is really a soft boiled egg can cure a high blood pressure patient?
No.
I did have high BP but after a bypass and medication I have a well maintained BP.  However, I still have to watch what I eat   An average egg that I eat has twice the cholesterol I can have in a full day.  We can have ~300mg of cholesterol per day but "one" egg has over 600.  The good news is that we can eat a half an egg and eat nothing else in 48 hours ;-)

This does bring up a different topic...  I LOVE eggs!!  I really love them cooked sunny side up cooked long enough to get the bottom of the egg to turn white but yet under cooked enough so that I can "Slurp" up the the rest including the yoke.  They are even better on toast but that may not matter for the question...

Is the listed cholesterol for the -raw egg- or for the -cooked egg-? or does cooked over raw have any bearing on the listed cholesterol numbers at all?
It's for cooked eggs, since eating raw eggs can be dangerous.  However, raw eggs actually help fight cholesterol because raw egg yolks contain the best quality lecithin of any food, and lecithin helps liquefy cholesterol and keep it moving.  Remember, cholesterol by itself isn't dangerous, it's only when it oxidizes that it is.  I don't think the latest research backs up such a strict restriction on egg consumption.  The most important thing with cholesterol is to keep the good cholesterol high (the HDL); that's much more valuable than keeping bad cholesterol low.  And remember that cholesterol and BP are two separate problems.  A good herbal formula for high BP is the linden-mistletoe formula by Herb Pharm, though if I were on medication I wouldn't want to double up for fear of driving it too far down.