Nutrition Community
How toxic is L-Lysine taken daily?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

How toxic is L-Lysine taken daily?

I have Herpes, my breakout is only one area at the top of buttocks.  I have been taking Zovira 400mg daily (1 per day as suppresive measure) for at least 10 years.  I have had very few breakouts with it and none in the last couple of years.  I am looking to stop taking this since I have read much info about its long term possible side effects...... that it could effect liver levels, kidney, and possible hair loss (which I have).  I have heard a great deal about the use of L-Lysine in the natural treatment to suppress herpes and was wondering if this taken daily could build up and cause any serious side effects or does the body just flush what it does not need?  I have been searching on the internet and all I can find is that is has been shown to be helpful but nothing about the possible side effects.  Please help, I am attempting to get off all meds that are not necessary, I am almost 53 yrs. old and figure the body does not need prescription drugs that could cause other harm to organs.
Please advise me!!!

Vicki
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Hi, Vicki. I'm sorry to hear about your trouble.

I'm not a medical doc or professional, Vicki, but if you are interested in amino acid therapy, one of the better books you can find out there on this topic, in my opinion, anyway, is called the "Healing Nutrients Within" (Braverman). The latest copy was published only three years ago, so the information is fairly up to date.

The reason I like this book, Vicki, is because it was written by an actual MD, so I always feel safer with that being the case.  

I'm a big fan of nutritional therapy, but there are plenty of dangers and precautions that come with taking anything out of the norm, you know, not to mention the threat that one can develop different dependancies to several vitamins and herbs.

Amino acid therapy tends to be even more complex. Braverman does an excellent job in his text explaining how these nutrients not only work together but what they do on their own, etc. The reading is a little more difficult to get through than most other texts designed for us regular folk~, but you can do it, and there's an entire chapter devoted to Lysine and Herpes, too, so you might find some help with it.

When it comes to Lysine's role in treating Herpes, the complicated issue seems to focus around why those with Herpes tend to be a little bit lower in Lysine (Based on the studies alledging that connection between Lysine and Herpes 1, which I'm guessing would be the type that you have. I've never heard of the STD Herpes 2 infecting the buttocks region before).

Braverman and others alledge that Lysine is the body's major "Stress fighter." So in the case of of a viral infection like Herpes, what's the real problem, you know-Does the Herpes infection deplete the body's reservoirs of Lysine in some manor that is not understood as of yet, thereby causing additional physical and emotional stress? Or might it be that high levels of stress itself depletes the body of Lysine, thereby allowing for a viral infection like Herpes to take form. There are more mysteries in medicine that I think we'll never truly understand, as humans anyway.

There are a number of different theories and concerns relating to amino acid supplementation, certainly any of those that might call for taking individual amino acids. They've flooded the market today, we know that much, so there are plenty of people taking them. Whether or not it's helping or hurting people, I have no idea.

I have spoken with three different experts about this issue.

One doesn't see much of a problem with them, so long as the L form is used and the dose of any given amino being taken does not exceed 500 mg's daily (Braverman has treated people with massive quantities of different aminos-I would definitely hold off on that one if I were you unless an actual medical doctor approves such therapy-that's uncharted territory. I've got more about this down below).

The 2nd gentleman I spoke with said that they're nonsense, plain and simple. Protein is protein, taking individual aminos is a joke. That was the core of his opinion, anyway.

The third gentleman told me that a person should "Never, ever take amino acids in supplement form." It was a fairly stern warning. Therefore, I've held off on taking any of them for my own medical condition.

Back in the 60's, there was a scientist that was convinced that medical illnesses could be cured by "Amino loading." He felt that certain people required several more grams per day of certain, individual amino acids. The theory burned out as the years went by, though it wasn't necessarily ever given its fair due either when it comes to applicable research.

Good luck with everything, Vicki. Take care.

I am not sure what "experts" fullergavin has spoken to (note, no areas of "expertise" were mentioned, but I'd bet a day's pay that they are employed by pharmaceutical companies) but if you Google "lysine" and "herpes" you will find references to many studies where the severity and duration of herpes 1 and 2 outbreaks have been diminished by 1000 mg of l-lysine 3x per day.  The only mention of side effects is at doses of over 30 mg a day (10 times the therapeutic does) or something like that.  I also have the type of herpes that appear on the buttocks/backside and l-lysine helps A LOT!  Basically, I never get an outbreak while I am taking it, and then I think I am cures, so I stop and . . . another outbreak.  I think you should ask your doctor about the toxicity of l-lysine, at that dose, because ti may help you get off of Zovira.  But, your doctor may not believe in alternatives to drugs (which I can never understand, because drugs have so many side-effects, you would think they would want to try something less poisonous) so you may just have to experiment, BTU I have been taking l-lysine on and off for about 20 years and I am fine, except for the herpes when I go off the l-lysine.  Anyway, here is a link to an article that describes one of the studies.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_simplex_virus.  Good luck.
Have you noticed any other side effects besides hair loss?  How long after taking it before you had hair loss?  Are you saying that even with suppressive therapy you still had outbreaks?  I have not been feeling well since I started the medication and hoped that after a few months it would get better.  Also have an awful taste in my mouth.  Please tell me it will not always be like this.
L-Lysine is an essential amino acid, which means your body cannot manufacture it. It must be obtained through the diet or by supplementation. Lysine is one of the most well known amino acids and is an essential component of all proteins.

<a href="http://www.herbmark.com/l-lysine/l-lysine.html" style="text-decoration:none; color:#000000">L-Lysine</a> is an essential amino acid that is necessary for the building blocks of all proteins. Lysine has been suggested to inhibit virus infections and is recommended for herpes simplex, canker and cold sores, proper nitrogen balance, enzymes, collagen and tissue repair, after surgery and sports injuries.
Individuals with herpes 2 can have outbreaks on the buttocks region.
Hey Vicki,

My ordeal with Herpes type 1 began about 6 years ago. I have no idea how I got it, but I suspect it has something to do with a tanning bed burn at the top of my buttocks. The first outbreak was about 2 weeks after the burn healed, and I have suffered with it since. It is concentrated around at the base of my spine and travels slightly down each buttock, creating a triangular shaped area and has not spread beyond that (Keeping my fingers crossed). The first doctor I saw about it diagnosed it as a pilonidal cyst and wanted t\me to have surgery to have it removed! Thank God I had a follow up with a dermatologist. She prescribed Valtrex,  which is very expensive and did not help me at all. A physician I recently saw prescribed Famciclovir, which is much less expensive and works much better. Knowing that I would have to take this for the rest of my life, I was worried that it would be dangerous with long term used and searched for something other than medication. On the Web, I discovered L-Lysine. I have been taking it for about 2 months and have not had an outbreak. I do not know if it is dangerous or not, but I take 1000 mg 1 time a day. I have not had any noticeable side effects, but like you I am concerened. Please continue this discussion and keep updates coming. Everyone reading this is in it together forever and need to stay informed and supportive of each other.

All the best,

Warren
I began taking 1000mg of L-lysine supplements 4 days ago. I began to notice I was nauseous at various times of the day. I am on a lot of medications for Parinson's disease. Is anyone aware of drug interactions with L-lysine? Today I broke out in a cold sweat with nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, dizziness and heachache. I am still nauseous and this happened several hours ago. Thanks for any advise. Michele
Yes, herpes can appear on the buttocks.  Anywhere around the anorectal or genital region, I've had it there.  It can even go up into the groin area.   However, my episodes are not usually breakouts, but flu-like symptoms after extreme stress, or too much sun exposure.  I also used to get the symptoms after using tanning beds years ago, but never really connected everything until later on.  The same as if you had the flu; feverish, tired, generalized, debilitating malaise without actually being "sick".  

That being said, I used to take lysine as well, I believe it was 1000 mg a day, along with 1000 mg of vitamin C.  I do have a Valtrex prescription for backup, but rarely have to use it.  I haven't used anything (needed to) for a long time,  knock on wood.

I've had sun exposure recenty and am not feeling well, so I decided to update my knowledge; research the amount of lysine I needed to take, etc, and found this site.  

I'm lucky enough to not have breakouts very often, but the flu-like symptoms can be quite disabling as well.  I even went to an infectious disease specialist years ago and discussed this, as my primary care doctor didn't really think much of it, and I was sick so often it was causing problems at work.  He said everything I told him made sense and yes, this was herpes and my symptoms were such as a virus would cause, and we know HSV is a virus.

Anyone wanting to take supplements, I would consult a reliable source first; a homeopathic practitioner or anyone who has studied this extensively.  Don't just go buying random supplements off the shelf without research or advice.   We have a very good natural pharmacy in town who has knowledgeable people.  Don't just to to GNC or such in the mall and ask them.
Will Lysine help with shingles? I used it for Meniere's disease as is helps with drying up the water in my ears. However, I did get dry mouth at night? Anyone else have that problem?
I suffered with HSV-1 all over the place, inside my vagina, my outer labia, clitoris, on my tongue, lips, roof of mouth, between my teeth, and on my inner butt just outside of my anus.  
My lessons learned about what works and what does not work:

1.  Valtrex  is an epic failure and should be taken off the market
2.  hydrogen peroxide VERY painful, but in the spots I repeatedly applied it until the bubbling stopped--which is HARD b/c of the pain, I haven't had a recurrence.  I'm now down to a few spots on my tongue and the roof of my mouth...I think b/c they reinfect each other and b/c I haven't been as diligent with the hydrogen peroxide as I was with the other areas.  It is VERY VERY painful, but effective.  Do your research...the idiot Dr. at the women's clinic told me NOT to use it but recommended the Valtrex.  Valtrex cost me $160 and was ineffective.  I buy the hydrogen peroxide at Wal-Mart for $1.28/bottle.
3.  For lips, use the hydrogen peroxide AND caramex (in the tin and apply it w/ a q-tip)  For whatever reason, this is the combo that made them go into remission.  The caramex turns white for a little while when it mixes with the hydrogen peroxide.  It absorbs into your lips within 20 minutes or so.  Reapply the caramex with out the hydrogen peroxide if you care, but using the hydrogen peroxide more often will help you in the long run.  I know it hurts, but mine disappeared in the areas I was diligent and have only recurred in the areas I have been more lax in.
3.  L-Lysine works wonders.  I take several 500mg throughout the day during an outbreak and it starts healing in a few days (to put it in perspective, prior to using the L-Lysine, I had perpetual outbreaks for 3 months.)
I've been on L-Lysine for the genital herpes virus for about 10 years now because back in the day there were no reliable prescription drugs available.  My internet research led me to sites that recommend between 500 - 1000 mg daily as a preventative and between 1000 - 8000 mg daily during an outbreak. (I do not remember why the article stated 8000 mg as the upper limit.)

As a rule I take one 500 mg tablet and most days that is enough to prevent an outbreak.  If I have an overly stressful day, either mental or physical, I take a second 500 mg tablet in the evening and those dosages prevent outbreaks 95% of the time.  When I do break out, it is always preceeded by pain in the crease between my thigh and pubic bone which my doctor says is most likely caused by the lymph glands in that area responding to the infection.  (I have noticed that this pain often feels more like a muscle strain or a pinched nerve and can last 2 or 3 days before an outbreak.)  As soon as I feel this pain, I up my dose to 1000 mg in the morning, 1000 mg in the afternoon and another 1000 mg in the evening.  A recent otubreak was caused by my missing my daily 500 mg dose for only one day and was especially virulent, causing 3 separate pre-blister sties.  I upped my 3000 mg outbreak dose to 4000 mg for two days, then dropped it back down to 2000 mg (for two days) as soon as the itching & pain tapered off , then back to my normal 500 mg. By day 5 the pre-blister sores were almost gone and never got to the full breakout stage.  Doses around 4000 mg tend to give me a slight upset stomach but I have no stomach upset with lower doses.

I haven't had any negative side effects from taking L-Lysine and I definitely have had less colds and flus over the last 10 years, even when I interact with infections people.

Here's an excellent article on L-Lysine and herpes:
http://www.advance-health.com/lysineherpes.html

Hope this helps and remember to check in often with your doctor to monitor any negative side effects.

gk
I started taking 1000 mg of Lysine two days ago for HSV2, which I've had for 20 years, and have had three bloody noses since I started taking it.  I never get sick, never get bloody noses.  Is this perhaps a side effect of Lysine?
I notice that at higher doses that I dry out, mouth, nose and skin. Dry nose would cause nose bleeds I would think.. I do get them also. But I would welcome a nosebleed a day for the rest of my life in trade for the symptoms of herpes. I don't get any other side effects from L-Lysine. And only about one or two nose bleeds a month in the dry season.
I have been taking L-Lysine for 20 years. I started taking it with Cat's Claw in 89 and did for 10 years. I focused on the Cat;s Claw as the real help for all that time and just took a L-Lysine once and a while, and at the 500mg 3xday or less dose. One day I was out of the Cat's Claw and my symptoms were coming on strong so I just took a bunch of the L-Lysine. I took 1000 mg about 6 times in that day and by the next day my symptoms stopped. I since have stopped taking the Cat's Claw and have just been using the L-Lysine, 500mg to 1000mg a day whith no symptoms and increase to 1000mg 3 or more times a day when symptoms start.
I have had a few out breaks in the 10 years that I have been on L-Lysine but all but one was mild and the one that was sever was on my lower back and in Mexico, WITHOUT my L-Lysine, after a long horseback ride.
I have herpes on my back. genital area and my lips. Lips never go to sores only a slight bump and the pain or discomfort and then I load up on the L-Lysine and it goes away.
Prior to using anything for this, except Valtrex, I would have breakouts ONCE A MONTH or more..
I had a bad breakout ,which cause blusters on my buttocks, my legs ,and between my thighs. I went to my doctor and found out I had herpes type 2. My doctor put me on 1 gram of valacyclovir. I went to a specialist that deals with this type of virus. I was told to take a multivitamin,lysine,and flax seed oil.He also seem to suggest that I wouldn't have to take the valacyclovir, but I still do. In the morning before I eat, I take 500 mg tablet of lysine since this sould be taken on a empty stomach,after I eat I take my multivitamin.At lunch I take valacyclovir 1 gram ,and in the eveing I take flax seed oil 1000 mg,I leave time in between each pill so my stomach won't become naseated.I try to take this fatefully. I have not been having breakouts as. I also try to avoid stress as much as possible,use cocoa butter and vitamin e cream,drink plenty of water,and eat more healthier, and pray to the lord for healing in my body. I still feel you have to talk to your doctor and be honest about everything, montior yourself since everyone system works different and sometimes you may not know that something is working until sometime.Also the key is to educate yourself, the internet has alot of good information, you just have to take the time and research,but be careful of the sites that try to sell you a cure when at this time their isn't one, just ways to help you to cope. I hope this helps someone.
I have HSV 1.
I was researching side effects for Lysine when I came across this page. Very interesting discussion!! I know I get outbreaks on my lips, but now I know why I have a funky "crusty" issue at the top of my buttocks crack, at the bottom of my spine. I never would have imagined it was an outbreak from my HSV 1.
GREAT NEWS though!! When I break out on my lips, the BEST remedy ever is to go buy a clove of fresh garlic from your produce aisle at the grocery store; break off a piece/section of the garlic; peel back all the "dried" skin until you get to the soft, fresh meat of it; take your fingernail and peel back the skin to reveal the garlic's juices; and rub those juices over your breakout.
Every time I do that, the breakout is gone in about 2 days.
I really hope this helps out a lot of people. It has helped me out a lot!!
So interesting to find out about this Forum. Even more interesting is to realise how many have been helped by taking L-Lysine. I fit partly) into the picture ... taking L-Lysine every morning for the last 3 years. Strangly enough I come to understand that Herpes virus seems always to be related with breakouts around the buttocks and/or genital region. If they appear at the upper body than they break out around the lips. That's where I don't recognise my own problem. I never have been told that I have Herpes, and (apart of the onces that appear on the tongue) I never could prove the once that cause the most pain. And those onces are sitting at the triangle around ear-nose-throat area, invisible for the eye, but always appear at the same time with the tongue sores. One doctor believed it was Neuralgia caused by the tri-geminal nerve.
I feld happy to have an answer for a too long ongoing problem. But that answer did not have a solution. Does anyone know whether Herpes can manifest at any other place in the body, so as mine do at the inside of the throat and ear region? Or could this be Shingles instead? I feel more relieved since I have been on a daily dosis of L-Lysine (1000 mg), but whenever there are stressful times the treatment with L-Lysine does not have effect. Is L-Lysine also a supplemtal treatment for Shingles? And by taking L-Lysine longterm doesn't it deplete the body of other Amino Acids by counter acting and bringing the Amino Acids in an unbalanced state? I would be very thankful for any advice.
Carole

You mentioned having flu-like symptoms.       Do you get this before or during an outbreak.    I have the same issues and doctors trying to link it to Gastrointestianal issues, but seems like I also get outbreaks at the same time.    Then taking High doses of Lysine when I feel an outbreak coming on seems to add to the stomach pain, but not every time.

Does anyone else have flu like stomach issues during outbreaks?
Hi Vicki -
I have had tremendous success and relief from Herpes through homeopathy  (and have used it for other ailments as well).  You need to see a homeopathist for an initial interview and since homeopathy treats you as an individual (rather than just treating the ailment only) you can also find relief from anything else that might be troubling you.  I still use Lysine and H-Balm if I get an outbreak (but they are very rare and few and far between and weak that it doesn't take much).  I hope this helps...
I just wanted to address your flu-like symptoms during herpes outbreaks - it is very common to get chills and flu-like symptoms in the prodromal phase of the outbreak. (because it is a virus)..even though my outbreaks are very mild these days I still have these feelings occasionally - it is usually accompained by the nerve pain and itching I also feel before the outbreak.   I have also had stomach issues from taking too much Lysine...so now I make sure I always take it with food.  As I said to Vicki, homeopathy as truly helped with all of this though.  I rarely have to experience any of this anymore.  
I take 500 mg of L Lysine everyday and have never had an outbreak on it. When I run out or if life gets in the way and I stop taking my it, I have an outbreak. Probably both because stress is up during those times as well as not taking the L Lysine. I swear by it. I recommend to NOT take the prescription meds i.e., Zovirax... acyclovir (sp?) etc... unless you need to. Talk with your doctor.
Thanks for the informatin on your symptoms.   It's funny I have learned more on this blog regarding the Lysine, then when researching Herpes.     My husband and I both react differently to outbreaks so nice to know others have the same sypmtoms I have and I'm not going crazy!!
Has anyone heard of people with Rheumatoid Arthritis being helped by Lysine? It has been postulated that RA is an autoimmune response to a viral infection. Seeing as herpes cannot (at this time) be cured but only controlled by using lysine and the infection rate of herpes is over 90% in world population, maybe autoimmune disease is a reaction to repeated low grade viral infection in those predisposed to this condition. This is just a guess, but my brother is in the end stages of sever RA with both knees surgically replaced, and every joint in his body including spine severely degraded and deformed by the relentless progression of this disease. He has tried all conventional treatments and some experimental ones with no effect. We are going to try Lysine but dose and length of treatment is all guess work. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help, John.  
Has anybody had an outbreak of acne from using Lysine tablets?  I had my first outbreak/coldsore in my mouth/lip at the beginning of January.  My gums swelled up and I had a slight fever.  They prescribed acyclovir since this was my first outbreak and it went away.  My nurse told me to start taking Lysine once a day in the morning.
Lysine is AMAZING!!!! I have only had one bad Herpes outbreak and it was god awful went to my gyno and she perscribed Valtrex it did clear it up but then quit working. Lysine is what i take now when i have the tingle or itch & it stops the outbreak from getting bad. stops it in its tracks,! Cant say how much i take cuz its probly bad but i really load up on them!!! Funny part is I remember that day at the gyno office I asked my Dr "i heard Lysine helps, does it"? and she flat out said "no. that will not work" sad that Dr.'s don't seem to know their butt from their head sometimes.
Love the discussions.  Lysine works wonders for me.  I actually stumbled onto it by accident somewhat.  Was actually taking Lysine for a different supplemental reason when I realized that I hadn't had an outbreak in about 8 months (usually on lower abdomen).  Stopped taking it and I had 2 outbreaks in the next 3 months.  During the 2nd outbreak I pretty much "inhaled" all the Lysine I could and it almost virtually just vanished.  THEN i started researching.  FYI, Arginine is basically "food" for herpes.  Lysine combats HSV by combating the Arginine in your body.  So the key is to maintain more lysine in your body than Arginine.  DIET IS BIG...  look up "herpes nutritional guide" and it'll show you all the foods high in arginine.  Not saying you can't eat them, but dose up on Lysine if you do.
Had a great read at all the comments about L-Lysine and will definately give it a go.  For cold sores I've tried Zovirax and all those other creams available in chemists.  They worked for me 1st time round then I seemed to become immune.  Now I use Boots Dual Action Cold Sore Lotion which is working for me, plus it doesn't leave a stupid white mark on your lip.  So now when I feel the tingle I apply this about every 30 mins, then the yellow Vaseline (SPF15) to the rest of my lips as they seem to dry out quickly when a cold sore is working on me!! Grrrrrr, hateful things!!
JayNess has some good comments. That is correct about the Arginine battle.
Lysine comes in many foods you already eat like Fish, Chicken, Walnuts, Broccoli, and other color vegs.
Ariginine also comes in foods you already eat and it feeds your Herpes virus so stay away from Chocolate, Peanuts, Almonds, Oatmeal, and High in Fat Meats.
The problem is mainly the "ratio" between Arginine and Lysine has to be in favor of the Lysine all the time to 3:1.
Thats why when you take the lysine and you see your Herpes go away its because Lysine kicks it back into hybernating.
You stop taking it and it appears cause the foods you are eating are tiping those scales to Arginine feeding your problem.
I have had this for 20 years. It is a very hurtful problem and to make it worse are these bottom feeding companies trying to offer hope to rid it for good and do it naturally. (Enough of my soap box on that but it makes me fume!)
Keep posting your positive things your doing and learn from others but mainly listen to your body.
Diet plays a key role in this.
I do eat oatmeal and still like a chocolate bar from time to time but I also keep my Lysine intake on the high side with just 1 pill every morning of 1000mg. My diet takes care of the rest.
Drink water!!! Besides it being good for you it keeps toxins moving out of your system and flushes your kidneys!
Herpes can show up in any part of the body just by touching an affected area and then touching another part of your body it is spread that easily and the reason it usually shows up at the top of the buttocks is because the virus is known to be an organism that lives at the base of the spine.  IT is especially painful if you get it on your fingers so you must be very careful not to touch any affected body part or open sores.

katy
This is the best forum I have found in terms of information, sources to study, and broad descriptions of symptoms.  Thank you!

My story is much the same, I had what I think may have been my first (if not it was definitely my WORST as I've never noticed them before) breakout.  I got in to see the doctor several days after it became intolerable, but by then I had already started the l-lysine 2x per day and also goldenseal and olive leaf extract, both the herbs have anti-viral qualities.  The doctor could find no sore, or any evidence that there was a problem, and treated me for a bacterial infection, which of course didn't help...  My concern was after 3 days of taking each suppliment 2x per day with a meal (to ward off upset stomach) I had put on 8 pounds!!  This is huge because I am a bit obsessive over watching my weight, weighing each day. -- I'm a 27 year old mom of 3 little boys, and weight 142 so any weight I lose I cheer over.  Needless to say, I was very disheartened to see the increase in weight!  The sores (and pain) are gone, and I have stopped all three suppliments, but I may go on a low dose of l-lysine just for maintenance purposes, because I cannot afford to change my diet too dramatically.  

So I am wondering, could l-lysine cause water retention?  Could it cause my body to bulk up on fat for some reason?  Anybody else notice this, especially right after starting supplimentation?  Any advice would be very helpful!
Well, I guess I'll just keep the blog rolling with a story.  I've been getting cold sores since I was a kid. I understand some people get them, and it's not that big a deal to them, and I wish I could be that way but I'm not. I get really embarrassed by it, so I've tried everything to stop it. I've been taking 1000 mg of L-Lysine for well over two years now (one in the morning and one at night), and I haven't had an outbreak. I've gotten them every three to six months since I was a little kid.  I've felt a couple of outbreaks coming on when I got really sick (stomach virus usually), but I'd load up on the lysine, and they would not get big enough to even notice.  

If anyone ever discovers that Lysine is lethal, just don't tell me because it has been very helpful for me, and I see now many people.
Thank you for all the good posts on this.  I can't believe that after 40 years of suffering with this disease I finally found this site!  Such good information.  I have fibromyalgia, which I personally believe is related to the herpes infection.  I have had many herpes breakouts over the years, but I gradually learned that contrary to common opinion, they would come after physical stress, not emotional.  I learned never to stretch the backs of my legs, as in hamstring stretches (30 years of not stretching has produced its own set of problems) and not to spend too much time on my feet, especially on concrete floors.  The last ten or fifteen years I have had zero lesions, but much trouble with neuralgia in my back and legs.  Once the neuralgia sets in, it's time on the couch and no work at all, no exercise, and lots of pain until it subsides.  Pain killers work only minimally.  Valtrex didn't work well at all, and I have been on a daily regimen of acyclovir (generic Zovirax) for about ten years.  For the last year or so it hasn't worked well, and I still am getting neuralgia symptoms.  Lately my pharmacy has had a lot of trouble getting the acyclovir, and has to keep changing suppliers.  I read online one report that one component of acyclovir that's made in India, was not being shipped any more; several manufacturers have stopped production and can't say when it will be available again.  This leads me to wonder if the stuff I am taking is not working?  Any thoughts on this?  Anyone experiencing the same thing?

I am excited about the possibility of L-Lysine supplements, but will check with my Dr first.  Thanks everyone!
Have just discovered the benefits of L-Lysine with type 2 Herpes. Have taken Acyclovir and Famvir, Famvir works better however I was nervous about long term organ damage and grew tired of the loopy feeling from the meds. During outbreaks I take L-Lysine (1000 mg's) and Echinacea (250 mg's) supplements (caplets are standardized, no gelatin) 3x day plus use lemon balm on any legions. The lemon balm eases the pain and discomfort; the legions healed much faster than when taking the meds. Make sure to apply lemon balm with a Q-tip taking care not to touch other parts of the body. I'm actually using a cold sore cream that has lemon balm as one of the first 3 ingredients as I could not find lemon balm cream except online. If you go the cold sore cream route, make sure lemon balm is one of the first 3 ingredients listed as the concentration will be higher. I plan to order lemon balm cream/salve to have for future use. Now I'm researching if L-Lysine does cause weight gain, however compared to toxic meds I will choose L-Lysine over the meds. I'll keep everyone posted on what I find. Any additional info would be appreciated. Good discussion everyone!
I've read most of this thread ( very informanative, from a patient's point of view) and I have one thing to add in reference to my situation as it applies to this discussion (and men in particular.) I am a 44 y/o male with HS-1 for the past 14 years and HIV positive for the past 25 years. I think it's relevent to describe your situation so that others that read know how it may apply to then or not.  I used to get herpetic outbreaks in and around my mouth about once a month.  My Dr. prescribed Acyclovir as a prophylaxis ( about 400mg per day.) I took that for quite a few years until I learn through the internet that L-Lysine would do the same thing and not be as "poisonous" to the body. L-Lysine at 1000mg per day pretty much kept me breakout free.  Maybe I have a milder case of HS-1, who knows.  I will say this, I was sent to prison for two years and thus was not able to buy any L-Lysine for that entire time and even with all the stress of being locked up, I never had a single outbreak! Go figure. Now, when I got out of the Big House, I started my L-Lysine again.  I was experiencing a drop in my libido so I started to take L-Argenine. L-Argenine helps with Nitric-Oxide absorption in the body.  I'm not too sure how this would affect women but, I'm sure it does in some way. I'm sure women need Nitric-oxide as much as men do?? However, here's where the male problem comes in.  I read about the interaction of L-Lysine and L-Argenine but it wasn't until I went to see my Dentist, a college student actually, that explained to me that L-Lysine suppresses L-Argenine and visa-versa. I've read in another site that L-Lysine should only be taken for up to 12 months at a time.  It might be a good idea for those who have put all their faith in it to research that.

Someone in the thread mentioned a nasty taste in the mouth and I just realized that this "metallic" taste in my mouth may be caused by the L-Lysine.

My reason for adding to this thread has been to warn everyone, as others have, to take great caution in self medicating without at least telling a professional of any sort!!

I just took all the Amino Acids out of my weeky pill box to take a break and get a fresh start.  Remember that when you start taking one thing, then another, an another, ... you mix the pot (your body) to the point that you're not sure what is doing what. Or as in my case, I was taking two things that "combated" eachother and basically cancelled themselves out!!

I hope this helps someone, anyone.  Thanks Vicki, for starting the thread.
Good post Carlos, its true, taking one thing for something can throw other things out of whack so wisdom, knowledge is needed. I was taking lysine because I read that thing about how it suppressed arginine too and i was taking it because i have hcv and arginine helps the virus's replicate so I figured hey maybe it does that with hcv too, so on my own without doctors advice i started taking it several months back,,,but now I am just juicing alot and hoping the natural amino acids are balancing things better. Hey ya know what we do all this guess work or experiments on ourselves because most of our doctors dont look into alternatives and they are no help at all. 'Then when you go to Alternative doctors they bop you over the head with a bill thats not covered by insurance. Its true that health is more important than money - I have always believed that, but what I am finding is that when you are sick, it would help to have a lot of extra money so that you can help yourself get well. I know I would be on a plane to Japan right now and staying there for a month to get checked out by doctors that would probably be able to help me, but thats not going to happen, oh well.
I have just VERY recently discovered I have herpes...SCARY!!! I was completely upset about it too.  I have had outbreaks and didn't know what it was (no insurance makes it hard to go to the doctor). So with no insurance I cannot afford to get the prescription drugs to treat or suppress the virus.  I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all the information!  It has been a MAJOR help!!  I just this morning started L-Lysine...so fingers crossed it'll help. I am a "high-stress" kind of person so as you can imagine the outbreaks have been pretty frequent (and painful) lately....just wanted to say thanks again!!
Ok....I just read your post and I must say I'm a little worried now!!  I too am very concious of my weight and I am worried about gaining much weight!  Have you found out anything else about whether the L-Lysine and weight gain are connected??
I have taken 1000mg x2 a day for two years to help with my genital herpies (herpes) outbreaks (which by the way mine is caused by HSV1, yes it is possible to spread "cold sores" "down there" by means of oral sex and or genital contact after oral sex). I can safetly say that for myself the Lysine has not affected my weight. I did find in the beginning that it made me have dry mouth and so I began drinking alot more water,which in turn caused water weight gain, but after a very short period of time my body adjusted to all the water intake and I don't have bloating or water weight gain problem anymore, or perhaps my body adjusted to all the lysine?
Anyways I too was prescribed Acyclovir 500mg x2 a day which did diddly squat for suppression and 500mg x3 a day for five days for outbreaks which did even less for clearing up an outbreak any faster. After no relief from almost weekly outbreaks on Acyclovir I did research about "at Home" suppression treatments and learned of lysine. Lysine and 20 mins of stress relieving yoga almost everyday has really helped a TON. As soon as I feel any type of tingling in my inner thigh or genital region I up the dosage to 4x a day for a couple days till the tingling stops. And as far as cold sores on the mouth go I haven't had one since i started the lysine treatment. I also can report that any major form of physical activity that really stretches out my inner thigh or puts a lot of stress on my lower back causes me to have a break out. Yoga stretches have so far been okay though.
MMS (Google this) Miracle Mineral Solution kills viruses, and if taken as advised should kill the virus right out of your body.  Until you come back into contact and get re-infected that is.  But with MMS taken regularly, it can not grow enough to bother you.  I just started taking L-Lysine - 750mg with 1500 mg of L-arginine pyroglutamate (growth hormone releaser) as a health supplement, and hope all goes well.
I'm glad I came across this forum - very useful. I wanted to share that I've been taking 1000 mg of lysine daily for 4 months and have not had an outbreak since. The conversation about argenine and lysine interactions is true and for me, taking lysine supplements is especially important since I am a vegetarian and 90% of the foods I used to eat are high in argenine content. So along with taking the 1000 mg of lysine, I am EXTREMELY careful of my diet - no large amounts of chocolate, nuts, peanut butter, etc. Also, I've given up caffeine and that's a help as well. Any kind of drug you put into your body (including caffeine, nicotine, excessive alcohol) plays a part in making your body more susceptible to herpes outbreaks and other immune system diseases.

My last piece of advice it to try yoga. Not just once or twice, but to actually make an effort and do it even one hour once a week. It will do WONDERS for stress relief. I learned how to breathe and let go of issues I was having and I honestly sometimes wonder if it's the yoga that's cured the outbreaks and not the lysine. But I am simply not willing to stop taking the lysine in order to find out :)! My suggestion to anyone out there with herpes is to go on 1000 mg of lysine daily combined with a conscious, balanced diet, and some yoga on the side. That has kept this vicious degrading disease at bay for me and I pray that it will continue to do the trick for years and years to come.

Can L-Lysine help shingles.  The sores are almost healed but I am still in pain.  It seems it runs along the nerve ends.  I have taken Gabapentine but it hasn't helped the pain.  Any suggessions.
M.
I have just been reading about the MMS PLEASE let me know if it works!! If it does that would be WONDERFUL!!!
hi, great thread. I had my first HSV-1 outbreak about a year and a half ago. Who knows where i got it from or how long I actually had it. Anyway, I have been taking L-lysine for about 2 weeks now. So far so good. One thing I have noticed however, and I would love to hear from any other guys who may have experienced the same thing. I find that my libido is up and I get an erection quicker and harder then ever before. I also have noticed much stronger and powerful orgasms. This has only been in the last 2 weeks and nothing else in my diet/life has changed. Could it be attributed to the L-lysine? I have read that L-arginine can produce these results...but haven't found any info on the lysine.  Anyone else out there heard/experienced this?? Regardless, i'm not complaining!!
Yes, I agree that this is a great thread re: HSV1/2 experiences/treatments.  I would like to add my experiences and discoveries as well, if I may.  I am female and have had genital herpes for about 7 years now.  I was deeply traumatized by this at first but eventually accepted this as my reality and thus got treated for it.  I went to my osteopath and he prescribed 1gram Valtrex daily suppressive therapy.  This prevented breakouts completely for me with the exception of a few occasions where diet was the cause.  I have deduced that, for me, certain foods triggered outbreaks.  These foods were:  red wine, nuts (especially peanuts), and chocolate.  I found that if I refrain from ingesting the previously mentioned food stuffs I tend not to experience outbreaks as much.  I was taking 1 gram Valtrex daily for about 3 years until I decided to take the drug only when I felt an outbreak coming on.  So my consumption of the drug eventually waned to about 5 to 10 (1 gram) pills monthly as opposed to 30.  
I would like for you all to know that I am aware of the idea that L-lysine inhibits the growth of the HSV1/2, and that L- arginine tends to "feed" the virus.  From my personal experience I have come to know this as true.  I have learned what foods are high in lysine and arginine respectively and have come to find out that, generally, this notion is true.  So now I am  very careful with my diet (not extremely) and no longer taking any Valtrex.  What I am taking now is about 1000 mg to about 2000 mg L-lysine daily in the hopes to prevent any outbreaks.  Please note that I have only been doing this for about 2 to 3 weeks now (taking the lysine that is).  I have now been off of Valtrex for about 2 1/2 to 3 months and feel that I can live happily w/out it and somewhat outbreak free if I refrain from the above mentioned foods and supplement with L- lysine.  Thank you for your attention, God Bless us all.  
When I was diagnosed with Herpes I was devastated.  I felt dirty and that my life was over.  During follow up visits my Dr. explained to me that it is just a virus.  Everyone on the planet has viruses that live inside of them, like the common cold is a virus.  So I began to think that if everyone has viruses and some people get colds more often and than others there must be a reason. So, I thought some people take better care of themselves and eat right and exercise.  The first thing is making sure your immune system is as strong as it can be so take supplements like vitamin a,d,e and a multivitamin.  I changed my diet to low carb.  I cut down all white starch like rice, bread pasta.  I rarely eat those foods if I do it is once in a blue moon.  When you have herpes the white is beter than the brown rice, pasta, etc.  I eat at least 2-4 servings of vegetables a day and I drink 2-4 cups of tea a day.  I have to tell you the tea works wonders. Any kind of tea, I drink cranberry tea, black tea, but mostly good old fashioned lipton tea.  I think it is the antioxidants or something. When I do have outbreaks I take lysine agressively and it is gone in 3days.  I advise anyone who is diagnosed with this take this as an opportunity to get healthy and dont take it like it as the end of your life like I did.
I was first diagnosed with herpes about four years ago. My doctor first prescribed valtrex which I took while insurance helped with copay. After that changed I could not afford Valtrex not to mention I do not like taking drugs for prolonged periods- especially ones I don't know the long term side effects for. I did some research and discovered I could get rid of the Skin outbreaks with a mixture of three items; alcohol, herpecin L (which is a lip balm) and cortisone cream. When I feel an outbreak starting (usually with itching or achiness) I begin applying these three every time I use the rest room. First clean with alcohol second apply the herpecin and then a coat of cortisone. Usually within 24 hours the outbreak is no longer a bother.The alcohol does burn. But I figure a few seconds of burning when I use the restroom for one day is a lot better than seven days continual burning without.  I then began having outbreaks in my eye. Actually on my eyeball. These are painful. Since I could not put alcohol in my eye I researched again and discovered l-lysine. When I have an eye outbreak- I take one thousand mg of l-lysine three times a day along with a mixture of Tylenol and ibuprofen for pain. Usually within a couple of days the pain and redness is gone in my eye. I have been doing this for about two years and I have had no side affects from the l-lysine. I have not disciplined myself enough to remember to take the preventative dose of 500 mg per day, But I absolutely do trust this supplement enough to do so.      
I just want to share my personal experience, because I saw few posts that have same concerns as mine - about Lysine and weight gain.  

I was diagnosed with genital herpes about 2 years ago, and after my devastation period passed, I began researching and taking supplements.  At first I took everything that helps the immune system: Lysine, Green Tea, Vitamin C, Echinacea, Garlic, you name it.  I started getting lazy after almost a year of outbreak-free life, and I stopped taking the supplements and the outbreaks came back within months.  I want to mention that during my one year of outbreak-free period, I was at the peak of my weight.  I have ALWAYS been a skinny person, not even close to chubby, and within first two months of taking Lysine (because I really don't think the rest of the supplements have any weight gain possibility, but that's just my opinion) I noticed significant weight gain, and I looked very bloated with water weight.  At first I thought it was my diet, but after I got lazy and stopped taking the supplements my weight quickly came back to normal, but of course the outbreaks came back quickly as well.  So this time I decided to only take Echinacea, and so far it has work very very well for me, no weight gain/outbreaks so far.  I take three 400mg capsules, once, daily, and when I feel the stinging/itching sensation I take 3 capsules twice a day, and no outbreaks so far.  Keep up the good works guys, it's good discussions like this that makes me want to share my personal experience and help others.
Super Lysine - the "liquid" has completely stopped my outbreaks for 3 months now. One squirt in the morning and one at night. I like it because it's not as large a dose as the pills. The only side effect has been people asking me what I've been using on my skin because it looks wonderful! :-)
I am going to start alternating Lysine with Red Marine Algae - another amazing Herpes II fix.  This is a "food" though, so it's just like eating seaweed - no big deal. Make sure you fine one that is the Gigartina or Dumontiaceae kind.
I started taking L-Lysine about two years ago. I had chronic outbreaks with cold sores my whole life. I was so embarassed, I stayed home as much as I could during outbreaks. I am 60 years old. I only wish that I had found out about L-Lysine when I was a young kid in grammar school. My life would have been so much more enjoyable. Who wants to talk to or better yet kiss some one with a big leaking sore on their lips? I started taking 1000 mg of L-Lysine every day and I haven't had an outbreak yet. Two years and not one outbreak, I had 1 a month for my whole life. I don't care what anyone says about L-Lysine or the side effects or what ever. I am finally free from the embarassing cold sores. I urge anyone burdened with cold sores to take L-Lysine every day. I would say that you will be very happy. I know I am.
When I get an outbreak or  THINK THERE IS ONE COMING ON, (It seems to shorten the duration).  I immediately apply an ointment: Ichthammol Ointment 20% by the name  Goldline. Available at Target and upon request at Walgreens.INGREDIENTS: petrolatum, ichthammol, anhydrous, lanolin and light mineral oil. Only a few dollars, not a prescription. You can only apply it on your genitals or  bottom. I always use mini-pads anyway, so it won't go on my underwear. May want to use a bandage over the ointment if applying on the buttock. You  need very little. The color is almost black and smells like tar. (if you get in on your underwear, it comes of in the wash, it has never stained my undies. It stops the stinging  pain immediately for me. Apply as needed, I keep it in my purse.
I learned this from a pharmacy when I was in Belgium years ago. Also good for my hemorrhoids.

Hope to help many of you.
Thanks all for postings your experience. I was diagnosed with HSV2 six months ago.  For a long time, I thought my life was over:  I won't be able to have children and no one would want me now.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  They helped me a great deal.
hello!  i do not have herpes, but i was looking up info about l-lysine and liver damage.  i stumbled across lysine for a completely different purpose and started taking it at about 500 mg a day for approximately 6 months.  it worked great for me for that purpose, however my caution to all who take it is: GET YOUR LIVER ENZYMES CHECKED!!!  it absolutely caused my liver enzymes to rise abnormally, which indicated liver damage, as that was the ONLY medication i was taking at that time.  also as an aside, interestingly enough, it lowered my triclycerides (yay for that) however, before taking them they were well within the normal range, however when my blood work was done for the liver they checked my cholesterol panel and stumped the doctor!  my triclycerides were 39, an unheard of low!  however, i had to get off it immediately and take repeated liver enzyme tests to see if it would go back to normal.  so please, PLEASE if you take this - or any supplements- get your blood work checked intermittently.  

take care!
I've been using L-Lysine 1000 for about 7 years, since I found out I have genital herpes. I started out only taking it when I felt that tingling feeling but now I take one 1000mg everyday (b/c I am paranoid:).  I will take more when I feel the virus rushing through my body to supress it (up to 4-6 a day). It really works for me. I believe it is a wonder vitamin where herpes is concerned. I think the "leading prescribed drugs" are probably mostly (if not all) lysine. BUT you HAVE to take the 1000mg pills, two 500mg pills (or other variations) do not work the same! I can feel the difference in my body, Lysine prevents breakouts when I feel them coming. I have been taking this for 7 years and I have had zero side-effects!! (Except maybe for the person who mentioned the increased libibo but I think I've always had that ; )
On a more natural note: Mellisa officinalis (common lemon balm) used topically is very soothing. You can get it in tincture form, apply the soaked fresh leaves, put it in a bath, or drink it in tea. Seems to help greatly with itching and dries up the area.

As for hydrogen peroxide: Apparently the cheap stuff at the drug store is full of other heavy metals, and should not be used internally, even as a mouthwash, etc. You can get 'food grade' H2O2, which is much more pure, and of course, much more expensive.

Also: If you drink a lot of coffee or alcohol, eat a bunch of sugar, red meat, and processed foods, and/or smoke cigarettes - You are literally inviting and feeding all manner of disease, so no pill or supplement will help indefinitely.
I had this breakout on my butt that has come and went. It stays in the same spot.  No where else on my body do I have it.  I am freaking out.  Couldit be herpes? God I hope not.  
I got cold sores passed down from my grandma to my mom to me so I've had it my whole life L-lysin is good at preventing it but at times it slips up. I learned to get rid of a full blown blister in less then a day, but it takes the whole day. First I go though about 4 ice cubes on the incoming culprit if it doesn't get any better then I move up to first applying alcohol till the pain is gone then hydrogen peroxide till it stops bubbling then it gets weird. I apply milk, aloe vera from my plant, and honey which I'll leave on for up to thirty minutes. Then I repeat everything. If it is a bad blister then at this point it won't grow any further. What I do now is take a shower and allow the water to peel off the dead blister which reveals the wound. I get out of the shower and do the alcohol and peroxide thing again. By this point I treat it as a cut. Look it up, spit actually helps heal wounds 30% quicker. Ice, aloe vera, and an open window all the while taking lysine. By this point in the game if you continue to take care of the wound it will be either gone or hardly noticeable. A lot of what I've said may seem strange but after 21 years being tortured by this,(for instance having a blister covering my whole upper lip while in high school and hiding from the world) I've learned a lot. Age seems to slow down the amount of outbreaks also drinking wheat beer instead of hops, staying away from any nuts, and taking lysine have all helped. But it will never go away permanently and that is just something we need to accept till there is some amazing medical break through of some kind.
Thanks for this really interesting thread: it's the best I have ever found on this topic.
I have been suffering from Herpes for several years now: my outbrakes are usually on my left buttock, few times they have been also on my left upper thigh. I used to have several breakouts each month for years, and I sometimes treated them with Acyclovir, and sometimes didn't, as I was tired of being on drugs all the time. Last year I was diagnosed with brest cancer, I was treated with surgery and after that with chemoterapy. Thanks God  doctors say I am cancer free now. Unfortunately my herpes outbrakes have really worsened during chemoterapy, as chemo affects the immune system quite heavily, giving rise to other problems, and herpes is one of them. Now, after more than 8 months after finishing the chemo, herpes is still my big "pain in the butt", so to speak, and I cannot get rid of it: it is worse than before.
I have read on the internet several articles that cancer sometimes may be caused by lack of Vitamin C and Lysine: my doctor doesn't agree with that. Does anyone know anything about this subject? As I suspect that my cancer might have been caused by lack of Lysine (having had ourbreakes for years, I was maybe lacking Lysine in my system).
There's also an advise I would like to pass you on: I got to know during my chemo that cortisone may worsen your herpes outbreak frequency quite seriously. I had to get cortison for few months because of the chemo (I cannot avoid to take it), but if if your doctor prescribes you cortisone for any reason, always let them know you suffer from herpes, as they may change their prescription, if it's not really needed.
Thanks to everyone.
Juliet
P.S. Sorry about my spelling mistakes: I am not an English native speaker, and I live outside the UK.
HI HAD YOU TRIED NATURAL REMEDIES? LIKE OIL OF OREGANO,OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT,ALGAS MARINA
Great post, Like most I was absolutely gutted when I found out I've got HSV2. Drunken night with a pretty girl :( Anyway, I'm a martial arts instructor, amateur boxer and rely heavily on supplements for muscle recovery and being able to work long hrs and train in my spare time. After reading through just about every post I could find on diets/supplements I'm pleased to see everyones comments tie in closely with my research. I kept getting outbreaks and couldn't work out why, ate well, slept well, not stressed (not in the mental way). So i turned to my supplements, the all in one protein powder has a nice mix of just about everything I need including a god mix of BCAA (branch chain amino acids). arginine is a big player for most athletes and my particular powder was giving me approximately 4-6 grams a day!! Given I was taking l-lysine  once a day as well, it's clear to see now the balance was heavily in the wrong direction. I've now stopped taking this supplement and looking to find something without any BCAA so  I can dictate and control these myself. I will keep you posted on the progress as I plan to keep the same diet and increase the L-Lysine and reduce the arginine. As I'm only starting this today, it will be a good experiment on it's effectiveness (for me anyway). Be interested to hear if anyone else has linked protein powders with outbreak frequency?? thanks,
After my Mom had an outbreak with shingles I did some research and came across L-lysine over and over.  I suggested it to her and she has fallen in love with it.  She has not had an outbreak from the day she started taking it.  She also supplements a low dose vitamin C powder that is high in calcium.

I have also found that people have had some relief with using neosporin on lip break outs, I looked into this and found it is possibly linked to vitamin E.  My mom and I, now take a liquid vitamin E supplement, not every day but continuously.  I also found that taking a liquid vitamin E supplement with drinking plenty of water keeps the hemorrhoids away.
I am so happy to come across this site. About two years ago, I had gotten my first breakout on my face. It is about an inch below my eye and next to my nose. The breakout is usually about the size of a quarter. It is so mortifying when it happens, and the discomfort is unbearable. I was wondering if anyone else had herpes on their face the way I do...Most of your posts have great suggestions especially when they are on the lips, but has anyone ever tried remedies on facial herpes? Or any remedies on a breakout as big as mine? I am afraid if I try these tricks I could make it worse than it already is, and I really don't want anymore weird looks than I already get! Even my eye swells up. I would really love to find someone who has the same problem as me...i feel like im the only one:(
I started taking L-Lysine about 2 months ago and it appears to be working for me. No breakout since.
Heres my story: I'm a 27 year old female, got fever a week ago, sore throat..then blisters on my tonge. My gums and the roof of my mouth got very swollen. Doctor said maybe Mono, but Herpes simplex 1 probably FOR SURE. I was prescribed Acyclovir which I have been taking for 2 days now..nothing hopeful yet..but my friend just came over today with some powder stuff and said Take this! Low and behold, it is Lysine. I didn't want to and wasn't going to take it, but after reading all of these great posts, well, I already drank a cup! But for sure I am switching it up to pill form, the powder to drink is just gross!!! I was devasted when I found out about HSV1, but am thankful it is not HSV2. I just gotta take care of it. I pray to God I never have another oubreak again!!! I also read alot on the web, that HSV1 is very common, 95% of Americans have it by the time they are 30. Its just that some don't have outbreaks. This made me feel a little better, as I was starting to feel like I was "unclean", and I am so scared of giving it to my boyfriend, or maybe he already has it, just doesn't get sores. Well everyone, keep in good spirits, and this is by far the best discussion board I have come across!
I am following up on my post: I went to my follow up visit today, and it turns out that the Doctor diagnosed me with herpetic gingivostomatitis. I woke up this morning to a VERY bloody mouth. After rinsing, it was my gums behind my front teeth that were bleeding.  My sores are healing, and I did have Lysine yesterday and today this morning, and the sores are evidently better! (So Lysine really does work!). I gotta wait out this virus, *****!
i'm a 21 year old male, i was infected a year ago and am just now having my first outbreak. this **** came on to top off probably one of the most stressful times so far in my short years but stumbling upon this forum has actually help be come to terms ... kinda haha. i would just like to thank everyone on this discussion bored i just started my l-lysine treatment and will discuss it with my doctor when ever i can get the cash to go see one. again thank you.
Something to remember down the line.
Years ago I used lysine for cold sores (and probably found out about it at the health food store, seeing as how no MD would inform me of this had I gone to one), along with whatever topical ointment for outbreaks. But it never dawned on me to use lysine on a regular basis to prevent outbreaks (which only came once or twice every year or so for me). Years later at age 64 I happened to look at the back of my head while my hair was wet and discovered... I could actually see my scalp big time... absolutely impossible for one who has always had hair like a Tahitian. Looking through the hair on the top of my head I discovered... that thinning hair was all across the top of my head. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later I noticed I had absolutely no hair on my arms either (and as a woman I at least had the normal amount).
Go to my Naturopathic doctor and what does he say...Lysine 2000 mg a day, along with Zinc 30 mg, and his hair lotion (for speedier recovery).
Well now, I guess Lysine will be on my daily schedule from now on, and with that... I also shouldn't get the cold sores to begin with.
Because this sudden hair loss came on 'overnight', I guess it was the Zinc that was helping to keep the hair on my head... as I would go through periods of taking herbs and supplements and periods of dropping them altogether... and I had been off them for about 2 months. So make sure you take note of what it says about Lysine and hair loss for future reference. As much as I would fight with all this hair, years of thinning, layering ,etc., I had made the comment a few times ... that at least I don't have to worry about thinning hair in the future... Big mistake! The only thing to be grateful for now... at least when my hair is dry no one is the wiser... while everything takes effect.
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better about the situation Soriu. Don't worry - I think 90% of the American population has been exposed to the Herpes simplex virus type 1. I for one, know that I was exposed to it at a very young age, due to a childhood injury. I fell off of a large boulder when I was younger, split my upper lip and nose almost in half. I spent that entire summer lying on my back due to the bleeding, burning swelling and pain. There wasn't a hospital or doctor around for miles ( I was in the deep, deep south - sticks- tumbleweed- no street lights - and dirt roads LOL)  so my grandmother kept the wounds clean with cloth, alcohol, etc. One of the most painful injuries. I've broken limps and the pain was NOTHING compared to a open face wound. Surprisingly, I don't have any scars from that event. At least no external ones... but I do believe the scar that was left was infection and HVS1 virus exposure.

Ever since that day, I would get yearly outbreaks of  HUGE, ugly and painful cold sores on my upper lip right at the spot of the injury.  They mostly came on when I had a fever, or when I caught a cold, or the flu.

So you see, anyone can be exposed to it in any manner, it doesn't necessarily have to be sexually transmitted. Even if it is, no one here should feel bad about it. We are human and it's just a part of life. Just learn to be responsible and try not to spread it to others. Just learn how to manage the outbreaks and you'll be fine.

A bit more info - I am a 28 yr old African-American female. I have had some of the WORST, biggest, and most PAINFUL cold sores ever. Never had them on my genitals or buttocks, only on my upper lip on the left.

I started taking Lysien (only occasionally at the point of feeling that tingling sensation) years ago and for years I haven't seen one cold sore, not even when getting a cold. I have never taken Lysine daily as some people here mention. I have never, ever had a problem with it, no nose bleeds, stomach pain, etc. I don't know that it's necessary to take it daily - at least not for me - I just make sure to clean my upper lip a lot, with alcohol, I keep my hands and face very clean all of the time, and if I feel a cold coming in, I immediately take 1000mg of Lysine, and rub 'Abreva' over my top lip even if I don't feel a sore coming on. If the cold sore still appears, I take Lysine until the sore heals and scabbs off.

Because of taking these precautions, I honestly can say, I haven't had a cold sore for years now, up until yesterday... and I can pinpoint the exact reason. I am currently doing an all natural 7 day full body internal cleanse with herbs and vitamins. Whenever we cleanse the outside of the body, the icky stuff INSIDE, has to come out somewhere, and that's usually to the surface of our biggest organ; our skin. I even have one pimple. The cleanse that I'm doing involves the kidney, liver, heart, intestinal tract, etc.  I believe when the 7 days are over, I might even be able to totally eliminate the HSV1 altogether.

Also, yesterday I ate QUITE a few skinless almonds with olive oil and sea salt. I also had quite a bit of oats and wheat. I'm not gonna give up those foods, because they're good for me, but I do have to remember to maybe increase the Lysine when I'm going to be eating a lot of nuts and or oats/wheat. Hope this helps someone!
Could you pass on that cleansing diet?
Thank you so much if you could be so kind.
Overall: I have found using L-Lysine very effective in aiding in outbreaks and reducing symptoms and duration of my herpes outbreaks.  I would certainly highly recommend others to at least consider this as an option.  (12 month self treatment - 2 minor outbreaks usually when I forget to take a dose).

My reseach indicates to me:

Dose - as will all medications there are exceptions and risk however a safe dosage level is around 1250mg/day with 2500mg per day during an outbreak.

Weight gain - As part of my get fit turning of a new leaf I also have been following the weight watchers program.  I have not experienced any weight gains or impeding of weight loss when commencing L-Lysine.

Synergistic effect: I am going to investigate further synergistic effect of Vitamin C; Bioflavanoids and Zinc.  Mainly through diet / food selection rather then suppliments.

Absolute Max recommended dosage level for a given day (from my reading) is around 8 or 9000mg in a day with recommended levels of 100mg / kg of body weight (I now weigh around 74kg down from 106 at a loss of 0.9kg per week with my new eating habits - just background information) whether this is through suppliment or naturally in foods Foods to look at are: Vegies, fish (particularly cod / sardines IE: the oily ones), chicken, cheese, milk.  Obviously the more fresh naturally occuring nutriets you can get the better for you!

Balancing act:  It is a matter of gettting the right diet to balance Arginine / Lysine levels for this specific issue.  However as highlighted by others in these posts the whole diet needs to be considered.  I do not like taking suppliments however the advantages of Lysine for me far out weight the potential issues which can be managed with a healthy lifestyle and diet.

The only adverse affects I have found are isolated cases but are generalised as higher cholesterol and gall stones.  If anything the reduction of my flu like symptoms has helped with my weight loss (IE: I eat more when I feel unwell like with a flu) and I feel much better.
I am a 26 year old female. I got my first outbreak four months ago. I thought it was an ingrown hair, but decided to go to the doctor anyway. The doctor performed a culture swab which came back negative. So, I was confident it wasn't an HSV infection. A month later I had my annual exam and my doctor insisted that I have blood work done. I complied.

Ultimately, I received a phone call a week later revealing that I was HSV 1 & 2 positive. I thought the diagnosis might have been a mistake because I read online that the HSV blood test was unreliable (false positives and negatives). Plus, I never had a cold sore or outbreak before, neither had my boyfriend. The initial outbreak went away quickly it seemed, but two months later I had another and then another, etc. After that I definitely believed.

My domestic partner of two and a half years tested negative, and my boyfriend prior to that tested negative. Leaving the question of my first boyfriend... who is unreachable. I'm curious to how long this infection has remained dormant in my system.

Well, after surfing the web I stumbled on Lysine and its benefit against HSV, and after using it for two days it worked wonders. Plus, last week my doctor prescribed a five day supply of Valacyclovir. The combination of the two left me outbreak free. I will continue using 500mg of Lysine daily. The last thing I want is for my boyfriend to become infected because of me. He’s going to get retested though due to the unreliability of the blood test.

These posts have been so helpful!!!

When I received the news I was so devastated, I thought my life was over (at least it felt that way). But, having a supportive partner and helpful supplements made it easier to deal with the dilemma.
I have been taken 200mg five times a day of acyclovir as needed (when i get a outbreak) for two years now and I just started using Lysine, vitamin . C, Zinc, Omega 3-6-9, and im researching Bioflavonoids. but i wanted to know two things. One, how long can you take Lysine? is it toxic? is there a point where it builds up in your body and just doesn't become effective? I have read that it should be taken for a year at a time. if you can only take it for a year at a time what do you do when that year is up? do you detox and start over? I am concerned with the long term use of Lysine. I have never heard of it till a few weeks ago. Now two, what is a good mg recipe for the following vitamin plus lysine that i mention above? I was thinking, a daily vitamin, 1000-1500mg of lysine for a outbreak and 500 daily for in between outbreaks, 1000-1500 mg of vitamin C and 15 mg of Zinc. 1200mg Omega 3-6-9  is there anything that i should also look for in dosage and other vitamins that would work better? is there a better dosage recipe that would work better. I dont want to take to much or to little of something.  and to BEM926, Same boat here I never had a partner with the virus when ever i have a new partner, which is few from far, anyways, My current partner of 3 years test negative several times when she was going through a pregnancy. I went to my doctor and explained to him what was going on and he told me it something i could have had for years and it was suppressed i could have gotten it from anywhere literally anywhere, door handles gas pumps anything you touch or put near your mouth. I also suffer from a OCD and anxiety, fear of germs I contently wash my hands I use tissues to open doors or touch gas pumps ect.. and I wont shake peoples hands.. both my doctors think that because I have been suffered from this for so long (8 years) that my body hasn't built up my proper immune system and get sick alot and somewhere along the line i got this virus from somewhere. when i was younger i worked for a tele company and i had to where a head set and i was given a used mic cover. and I think i may have gotten it from that, but who knows. know that i have it now i have to be careful around my son and around my wife, and I have to treat it the best way i can.
Hey Molly82 - you are NOT the only one!
I have suffered with facial rashes for almost ten years now... when it started i use to think it was just a pimple - but a very painful cluster of pimples. Then dr's thought i had poisen ivy, went through the whole realm of allergies and finally a new derm did a biopsy and believes it to be HSV 1 - only once have i had this same rash on my thighs and back but more commonly on my face. It, unfortunatly , has completly taken over my life. I very rarely make plans because i never know if i am going to look like a monster or not, and the constant rashes have now left my face scared. I am a girl who is VERY aware of how she looks and strives to always look attractive. these facial rashes are not only painful, but depressing and debilitating. Make up just makes them look worse, and it takes almost a week for each to go away. I find that rubbing alcohol right to the source when you feel it coming on helps, ice, rest, and zinc. but still a few days.
I am taking Acyclovair and lysine now. along with keeping my diet in check., i find the worst is the week before my period when my immune system is weak, if i am really careful then i am good. i do a raw diet that week - tons of water and lots of exercise - if i do not do these things i am in huge trouble.
i feel your pain! good luck :)
I agree with everyone regarding the informative nature of this discussion. I,too, have been devastated by the diagnosis of HSV2. Being single after 10 yrs, I often wonder how to bring it up with potential partners.
My symptoms started as blisters on the top of my R  buttock which drs first diagnosed as a white tail spider bite! If only!
I bought L-Lysine yesterday and am encouraged by all the stories so will continue to take it. The rebound effects of not taking it sounds scary but just have to get into a pattern of taking it everyday.
I wish everyone a breakout free life... heres hoping.
I taking  l lysine for about  6 months  1000 to 3000 with OB  I get a blood test and my colesterol seen to be high ,IS this common factor of the high dosis?

thanks
I was diagnosed with HSV 1 about five months ago. The virus entered my mouth because of oral sex but i did not have any break outs in my mouth Thank God! I had a break out in my vagina which was from my partner giving me oral sex. I have not had a break out since i was diagnosed but recently i noticed red mosquito looking bumps inside of my buttocks, and it burns when i have a bowl movement, and my buttocks leaks. Any ideas on what to do? I eat alot of spicy foods so it could be hmerroids but  I'm not sure if this is associated with Herpes because this did not occur doing my first break out. I started taking L-lysine but the pills were too big for me to swallow so i had to break them in half eventually i got sick of doing it so i just stopped but do to these success stories I am about to start taking them again to see if they help.
I have had Herpes for 15 years. Probably longer. There are 12 strains of Herpes. I have 3 of them. Epsteins Barr, Cytomegalo(don't know how to spell it) Virus and the Chicken Pox one. I don't understand why doctors refuse to link Herpes with all of our problems!! Herpes causes muscle pain, hence they told me I had Fibro Myalgia. Idiots! They are blind to the NUMEROUS problems Herpes causes. My outbreaks are on the top of my buttocks, usually about once every few months. Before an outbreak, my whole leg will hurt. I also have "Corneal Erosion" which is the peeling of the top layer of the cells in your eyes. I believe this is Herpes too. Doctors say they don't know the cause or cure for these problems. Well why not! I KNOW it's Herpes! Also my white blood count is low, because my body is constantly fighting the virus. Some people have Chronic Fatigue because of this. No wonder we don't have the stamina of an ordinary person! You wouldn't know how sick I am to know me, not even my family gets it. I can't do exerting things like go bowling, or skiing or anything else fun like scrubbing my walls or floors. Which of course I have to do but then I pay dearly. I also just don't feel good in general.
Since I have been taking Lysine, 500 mg a day, and eliminated wheat, chocolate, nuts, red wine and oatmeal from my diet, (which I used to eat everyday!) I have noticed an improvement in my general well being. I also started a nutrition program. I still have a lot of muscle pain, but no breakouts!
We all need to stress to the medical community about Herpes and it's MANY side effects!!!
hello,
so good to recognise myself in those comments !!!:I have suffered for herpes on my lower back and bill since 23 years and for 10 years ,I was constantly sick : one week feeling sick,pain in my legs, extremely tired, migraine and then the virus broke out and it took one more week to disappear ,then a week later it started all over again!.Then my doctor prescribed me Famvir which helped well (not 100%) for 13 years until 2 months ago; since then the herpes is as active as it used to be before the Famvir and I think it has become resistent to it . I am completely desperate and would like to know if anybody recognise my story or has any experience solving this problem.I am a very stressed kind of woman and of course it has become a vcious circle...
hello,
I do not take Lysine daily but take it anytime I have eaten peanuts, other nuts,  whole wheat bread, these are the items that seem to  always without a doubt, cause a breakout- High in Arginine.  I usually take 500 or if I think I may need more I take 1000. If I feel any tingling or a breakout coming on I up the dosage and have been able to prevent outbreaks on occasion. Stress causes break outs too. I am on an immune strengthening regimen for cervical dysplesia which may contribute to less breakouts- That includes, Pearls Immune strengthing, Olive Leaf, stress formula Multi vitamin and New Chapter Immunity herbal supplement.

As a side note- I am researching hormone therapy- bio identical and read that excessive arginine consumptions causes a deficiency in Progesterone. Which brings to my mind the flip side- Symptons of excess Progesterine levels include leaky bladder which I occasionally experience and also causes ligaments to relax which can lead to back aches and achy hips, along with some other symptons. So I am wondering if when I take increased dosage of Lysine if that has anything to do with the severe hip pain I am getting. Wondering if any one else has had similair results. I think I read in this thread that someone was using it for rheumatoid arthritis which i think would contradict this theory. I do have the starts of rheumatoid arthritis, but for the most part it is managable except for the hip pain.
i heard that 10.000 i.u. of vitman a, 1000 of vitamin c, and 1000 of lysine for 30 dayes kills it. just wondering if there's any truth to that. after reading most of the comments seems like no one has tried it?
Hello everyone,
I dont know about everyone here, but my story is weird or im just not as informed i guess you could say. A few years ago i was playing basketball in gym class and as i was getting dressed to head to the bus i noticed that i had a strange feeling on my upper lip. Initially it felt like hives or something so i thought it would go away. A day later i went to the doctors office and he told me that i had HSV1 and what i had on my lip was what was called "fever blisters" so he prescribed me acyclovir 800mg daily (2 tabs a day). I dont get frequent outbreaks but i have gotten them almost yearly since then usually in summer/fall or when get very stressed out. I am currently going through an outbreak now and i am taking the acyclovir as directed. A few days ago i did a little bit of reasearch and found a lip balm called herpecin which was to help treat/relieve fever blisters. so my question is, can anyone give some sort of guidance as to what i can do to make this heal sooner?
this post has been very helpful. i'm 24 and i just found out i had hsv1 last month. i was absolutely devasted but my boyfriend has been my rock and has really helped me accept this instead of hating myself. the 1st outbreak i had was horrible cuz i didnt start taking anything until a few days after it started. my doctor gave me valtrex and i don't think it really helped much cuz that outbreak lasted over 2 weeks! anyways monday i noticed another blister coming in so i went and filled my rx for the valtrex and started taking it immediately and i also started taking l-lysine 500mg twice a day and so far i havent got any other sores. my first outbreak was mostly on my inner labia. this sore is on the outter area and im having a problem because it keeps scabbing up and sticking to my panties and everytime i go to the bathroom i have to rip it off and its very painful. i have been wearing only cotton underwear and trying to wear only dresses so it more breathable but its still not helping too much. does anyone have any advice on something i can put on it?
hi all,

I have had hsv-2 since 2007... I have done many things to "cure" it including l-lysine.  For me personally, i have had "relief" with ozone.  The balm is good, but you have to keep it in your fridge or else its no good.  I also get ozone introvenously (some states it is outlawed).  If your state is try hydrogen peroxide therapy introvenously but be careful because after extended use, it can collapse your veins from what i read.  But typically on an onset of a twittle.  I call them twittle.  I dont have stinging or burning just twitches with hsv2 , i go and have the introvenous and that same day its better.  

Also, just as  a general routine.. I always have olive leaf, oil of oregano, l-lysine, and golden seal in my medicine closet.  Lately, ive been really using olive leave because its very effective and virtually no side effects.  

I hope this information is helpful!
I have had problems with outbreaks of cold sores all my life, especially as a teenager when the stress was high. Too much sun, stress or trauma to my lip caused an outbreak. I have been taking 500 mg. lysine once a week for 3 years. I ran out about a month ago and missed the lysine a week and had a breakout on my lip. The lysine has helped for sure. I'm 53 and everything is blamed on mental-pause (pet name) so I am taking Prempro, just wondering about the lysine-progesterone connection. I have a burning feeling in my lips and mouth so I have started taking the lysine everyday. Also have all the hip and lower back problems described in post above along with fatigue. Thanks for all the information.
Regarding herpes:
After reading a post on another site, it was advised that chocolate, nuts, oranges and tomatoes should be avoided during "outbreaks" and can be consumed when the "outbreak" is cleared up / in remission.
I just recently (about 4 days ago) had an "outbreak" and it is just now starting to heal. I have increased my L-Lysene to 1,000mg/day (from 500mg/day - which I had been taking for years). I also started applying hydrogen peroxide and alcohol to help dry up this "outbreak". That has helped as well. And just yesterday, I started using B.F.I. powder, and that too helped in the healing process. Today, the "outbreak" is healing and the redness has subsided significantly.
A few days ago, when this all appeared, I developed a herpes outbreak first, on the inside of my right thigh (these outbreaks on the inside of my right thigh have appeared once or twice about every other year or so for the last several years, but never on my lips until a few days ago. And when the spots did appear on my thigh, I would always use alcohol and B.F.I, powder to dry them up). Three spots appeared. I applied alcohol and B.F.I. poweder immediately. The outbreak began healing and drying up almost immediately. Then a few days later, the outbreak began on my upper lip, spreading from the middle part to the end (left side). That's when I began the regime of applying the above mentioned solutions.
Hope my information has helped.
I've been outbreak free for years, and as soon a I got on birthcontrol for the first time, I started having an outbreak right when it was time for my period. Has anyone else exprienced this? This past month I did a test. I took 1500-2000mg of L-Lysine daily about two weeks before my period came on, just to see if it would help, and so far it has.I didn't have any outbreak, but the scary part is what will happen when i stop? I kinda wanna get off the BC to see if the outbreaks will stop, but I'm not ready for childern.
I read some information about lysine that said to get it without gelatin,dicalcium, and magnesium stearate. I would be so happy to try the lysine but cannot find any without these ingredients. Someone please please tell me what kind of lysine they would reccomend cause I seem to have almost constant breakouts on my lips and I dont know how much longer I can live like this. I am already on the generic valtrex, and I have the expensive ointment you are supposed to apply EVERY THREE HOURS FOR A WEEK and they are not working.
Great thread, and more informative than a lot of the usual adivce which is dished out by the pharmaceutical industry. I' ve had herpes on my lips for about 20 years and recently, as I approach menopause, the outbreaks were becoming more frequent. With recent studies linking HSV1 to Alzheimer's disease, I was determined to find any way I could to control the outbreaks without taking Acyclovir which has nasty side effects on the liver. I've been taking 500 mg of L-Lysine daily and so far, so good. My skin also feels wonderfully soft. I must admit, I do feel a little bloated lately and I have gained a few kilos, but I think might have more to do with the fact I exercise less and that I have several large fibrods on my uterus which I will soon have removed. If anyone finds any additional info. on the long-term effects of L-Lysine and weight gain, I'd love to read about it.
This is the greatest thread i've come across.  Feels good to know that you're not alone.  I'm using Lysine based on a self diagnoses.  I will be going to the doc's tomorrow.  Do have to say that when I take 2 (500mg) of the L-lysine supplement pills I have ABSOLUTELY NO SYMPTOMS for at least 9 hrs of the day.  It works like a miracle!!! I'm instantly happy again and the terrible constant tingling/itchy feeling in the vaginal area dissapears.  Again i'm going to the doc's hopefully tomorrow...probably only once again for the doc to tell me that they see nothing, I look fine. Its probably a yeast infection or ingrown hair!  I hear the bloodtest is not the best way to test for herpes (because of false positives and negatives) but when you have no lesions like myself, the bloodtest is the only way to go.  Until then...L-Lysine it is.!!  If u are having any kind of herpes symptoms I strongly urge you to try it.  Acyclovair has not worked for me..but a 7 dollar bottle of the Lysine from a whole foods works miracles.  God Bless us all.  More ppl...doctors especially need to be more aware of the symptopms and dibilitaing state it can put ppl through.  Only then will there be hopes for a cure.
Thank you all for your stories, I feel a little better. 6 weeks ago a small bump appeared between my inner and outer labia, diagnosis-hsv-2. No pain except before it appeared and when the Dr. put me on Acycolovir. The man I thought I would spend the rest of my life with promptly dumped me, says he could never be with me again. We are in our 50's and I am devastated by his reaction. He wouldn't even talk to me for 2 weeks. I believe I was infected 12-15 years ago by a man I had been seeing and this is my first outbreak. It looks like I'm lucky that I seem to not be as virulent as other people and the outbreak was so mild. I started taking lysine as a preventative measure 500 mg daily.
Does anyone know how it affects viral shedding? Does it minimize or eliminate shedding?
hey guys and you beautiful gals...... check aicuris web site...starting stage 3 tests for pill..(which is the final test before market).....report was dec 8 2010....potentially very good news.. stage 1 and 2 test were all complete within 12 months and theyre really pushing...its a german company and other research companies have now realized the money potential in helping herpes ....good luck to all........take ur supplements and stay healthy.....a cure,  vaccine or super suppressant is on the way
In October, 2006, I had a problem with my ear.  It felt stuffed up, with a whirling noise inside, not so much a ring, but a fullness with a lot of pressure and pain, then I experienced some hearing loss and sensitivity to loud sounds and the bass of the radio.  Some people told me to flush it with wax remover.  I tried that, and nothing happened.  I went to a few different doctors and one said I had Menieres, another said I had Fibromyalgia.  I was put on all kinds of antibiotics, steroids, and even seizure medications with diuretics.  I had several hearing tests. This condition lasted a good 6 months.  I wanted to die and was so depressed and hopeless that I would live the rest of my life this way.  I started doing research and I stumbled upon this website:

http://www.menieresfoundation.org/johnsregimen.htm

I swear to you all, this man saved my life!  This is where I learned about L-Lysine and other vitamins to take care of my problem.  If any of you have an ear problem as I described, this is your golden ticket!  Feel free to ask him anything about Lysine.  He is a friendly man and is so caring!

John (the man that runs this site) told me that I had the herpes virus in my ear and that all humans have many viruses in their ears; it is just a matter if they become active or not.  I, too, had genital herpes and was on Valtrex and Acyclovir for outbreaks.  But I only took the Valtrex when I got an outbreak.  I have remained on 500 mg per day of the Val, along with 1000 mg of L-Lysine (along with a multitude of other vitamins) in the morning then 1000 mg at night and I have been outbreak free for YEARS.  The issue with my ear has not been a problem; however, I was hospitalized last summer for 2 weeks and could not take my pills, and came out of the hospital with my ear having that same fullness sensation.  I loaded up on the Lysine and I was fine in a few days.  Because I also have the Herpes virus, I believe that taking Valtrex along with the Lysine has helped me be symptom free.  My husband takes 1000 mg / day of Val and has been symptom free as well.  He does not take Lysine.

I came to this site to look for long term effects on L-Lysine, as I take so much of it.  I am relieved to know that, at least so far, it will not hurt me.  I wish all of you the best in trying new things using vitamins as opposed to using drugs from companies that only want your money.
With diet and stress herpes outbreaks can be managed. The drugs will supress, damage your liver and when you go off them, the virus is more virulent. I think that the virus does burn itself out after the age of 50. Read about, and avoid the foods rich in argiene.. I usually get a dully neck and headache or pain in my legs indicating an outbreak is pending and then take a loading dose of lysine (500 mg) about 6.. then taper it off over the next couple of days and usually avert the episode entirely! I don't want or seem to need to take them daily if I pay attention to diet. Earlier when on a very very clean diet, no drugs, alcohol, entirely vegan I didn't have any outbreaks at all!..
Lots of sleep and water help and keeping the acid/alkinlaine balance by drinking juice of half a lemon sweetened with a bit of maple syrup (delicious too) I also take Vitamin A, E full spectrum, Stress B, plus kelp The super LYsine plus supplemnt  I buy is made by Quantum also contains C, garlic, echinacea, propolis, licorice and goldenseal. I choose Licorice spice tea when out.   If you can't get a real yoga or meditation routine going, just have gratitude everyday and 15 deep breathes whenever you think about it and eat smart and moderately. The liver can only process about an ounce of alcohol an hour, any more and its causing damage.
I have been taking L-Lysine for about three years because of oral herpes. I used to get a break out every month, with the lysine, the outbreaks tapered off and I have not had a cold sore for at least two years.  HOWEVER, sadly  I have been told by my doctor to stop, as there are concerns with Lysine raising cholesterol levels in the blood - and there is a history of  heart disease in my family.  I do have very raised cholesterol levels (6.2) so I am taking my doctors advice.  
I am newly diagnosed today with lab confirmation.  I am so devastated.....I have enough OB/GYN problems and to have this makes me feel like a pariah.  I bought the lysine this morning and will take 3 today at 1000mg per dose.  I will try the garlic clove juice as one person described.  I will try anything and everything.  I am also a nurse.  I know it only takes one person to catch it from, but I feel awful about this. I am so bummed that something as wonderful as sexuality can be tainted by this damned virus.   Any feedback?  I am really depressed about this and the advice about decreasing stress level.....like that will happen wtih tiny children and all that women juggle running a household.  Thanks for listening.
I am very grateful also to this site.  You all have posted great information that has helped me understand what is going on in my body.  Before an outbreak, I usually get flu like symptoms but that also happens before my monthly cycle.  I have been on Valtrex for about a year but still experience tingling, itchy and that dry feel in the genital area.  I haven't had an cold sore since I began the Valtrex.  I was out of the Valtrex for about a week and have a minor outbreak.  I began the L-lysine today (1000 mg) so I am anxious to see the effects of taking both.  I want to come off the Valtrex and just take L-lysine by it self.  What I have notice while reading this blog is everyone has found a way to cope with this disease.  Mediation and Yoga along with a healthy diet and natural supplements can give you back a normal life.  I have been married for over 15 years and had a horrible outbreak about two years ago.  I was shocked when I got the results!  My husband doesn't have it, but after thinking back I have been having outbreaks all my life (cold sores).  Thank God for this site and those who are willing to share their stories and their remedies.  It has definitely made me change my dietary habits and the way I think about life.  God Bless!

I'm 30 years old and have the worst cold sore ever :( I've had them my whole life. I'm pretty sue the virus was passed down to my by my Aunt or a family member. It's so easy to get. especially when you are a kid and you have your entire family kissing you!
I haven't had a cold sore in six years. I found this website and did the program and it seemed to work (well, up until two days ago :(

http://neveranoutbreak.com/herpesproducts/

I thought I got rid of the virus all together (because i didn't get one for 5 freaking years!!!). I'm pretty sure I got my recent cold sore because I didn't sleep at all for two nights and then I got hit by my friend in the lip (by accident). My lip was killing me all day (thought it was from the hit) so I iced it and never ever thought it would turn into a cold sore but it did :(
I want to crawl in a hole and die :( It sound so awful but it's true. I was also sick with the flu last week and had chocolate and almonds the night before the break out. I'm not 100% sure what caused it. My husband is very supportive. I had a really bad blister yesterday and it's starting to heal up. I used alcohol yesterday and applied it with a cotton ball and just put abreva on it. I pretty much left it alone besides that. Haven't really touched it. I've been using a separate wash cloth just for my mouth and q-tips to apply the cream. I also got the L-lysese 1000mg and took two yesterday and two today. Nothing is really happening so far. Although, it may have helped the healing process because the blisters are starting to crust up. I ordered the program (from the website above) and I can't wait for it to arrive. I hope to god it works like it did last time. I should've ordered it sooner (just for preventative measures). I hope the L-Lysene works. I took 2000mg this AM and my stomach is a little bloated but I didn't have a healthy breakfast. my bad. It's just not fair but I guess it could be worse. No one is perfect. I hope I don't gain any weight from the pills..I'll keep you all updates.
But seriously, check out the program from the website above. It kept me break out free for 5 - 6 years.
good luck everyone!

Valtrex is NOT an epic failure.  As with any medication/treatments, there are cases in which it is extremely effective (desired effects), some in which it is somewhat effective, (alleviates some but not all symptoms and/or has adverse effects), and some in which it is altogether ineffective.
I have personally prescribed Valtrex (valcyclovir) to many patients with HSV and MOST, not just a few, have responded extraordinarily well.  Particularly when HSV presents with signs/symptoms shortly after contraction, and Valtrex is used AS PRESCRIBED, immediately.
It is reasonably expensive, (as compared to acyclovir).  It works differently.  For example, Valtrex works well as an acute treatment for breakout-1-2 grams (1-2 pills) generally prescribed.  Whereas acyclovir is generally prescribed in a greater dosage, (due to efficacy) such as up to 10 capsules/day.  The price is different and as with most things, in this case, you get what you pay for.
  I love this site! I was diagnosed 5 montos ago and I have had 6 outbreaks since! I feel like my life is over or I just want it to end. Not only does Acylovir not work well, I had allergic reactions like itchy rash all over body and hair falling out. I just starting taking 3000 a day of Lysine but not sure if its safe. I also drink 1000 mg of emergency whenever i can and sometimes take zinc. I REALLY hope this works as it might be my last hope!!! I'm so scared that it wont go away. The one thing I noticed is penut butter aka recese penutt butter eggs triggered an outbreak and also I think a tanning bed. I was also off my pills at the time. I do love coffee in the morning and red wine at night. I've cut back to one cup in the morning and am thinking of switching to white wine at night even though I don't like it as much. I'm hoping the lysine pills counteract all the bad things i do but might just need to slow down a bit. Its hard to give up the things you love. I really do feel like my life is over! I just hope God helps me now since I don't feel like I have many options. Thanks to everyone who wrote these posts and I hope nobody has to go thru what I have!
hi ther finding this site has made feel alot better ive just had mi 1st out break and im 25 and i thought mi lifes over ive taken aciclovir that dr thom sent me it cleared it up while i woz on them but then i run out and it came bk again down side of mi nose and bi mi genatails and on inside of mi and chest im goin get lysine 2mrow can sum 1 tell best place 2 buy  l-lysine from and the brand

thank you
I love everyone on this site.  I can't express my gratitude for the openness and sharing.  I am about to reenter the dating scene and became obsessed with the idea of having herpes. I have never been diagnosed but I'm sure I have it.  However, my symptoms have been mild and very rare.  I started taking Lysine about 1500mg/day as well as olive leaf and a multivitamin and also 1000mg of vitamin C.  Oddly, I have had 2 outbreaks over the past month. Nothing like this has ever happened before.  I think it's due to the stress I have caused myself, the constant obsessing.  I do not believe it is a fault of the amino acid/vitamins.  Anyone have any response to this?  I love you all very much.  And I mean that.
I just want to explain a little further.  The 2 outbreaks that I have had have actually been in the course of the past 2 weeks since I started loading up with these amino acids and supplements in an attempt to ward off the virus.  I had not had an outbreak in I don't know how long.  I think herpes is an extremely psychological condition and the more you worry about it the worse it is.  Sites like this are extremely empowering.  Some sites just thrive on paranoia and negativity and I buy right into them. Just being honest.
Hey guys,

I'm glad to see that a thread started in 2006 is still active till now. For the past 2 months I have not been feeling well. It started with a "something stuck in the throat feeling" and progresses to gastro problems like heartburn (scratchy chest and felt like sand grains rubbing against my chest), flatuence, constant burping, stomach rumbling and some IBS symptoms. I could feel the ache and pain radiating from my neck to the mid back when I stretch or tilt my head. I got occasional red small spots on my front body mainly on chest and upper adominal (abdominal) that itch at first and doesnt after I scratched it. The spot will leave a scar and it is very troubling for me. Some times I feel numbness and tinkling sensation in my arms and hands. I went to a gastroenterologist and he did a series of tests and said everything was normal. The gastroscopy also never reveal anything abnormal. So I suspect it was something STD related and I went for a full check up excluding Herpes and the results were all negative. The doctor then prescribe me with proxen and some useless PPI (for acid reflux). After taking proxen for 3 days, the back pain is gone but I found herpes like small sores on my inner lips. Im worried proxen has supressed my immune response and further ehance herpes infection. Im scheduled to see a STD specialist next week. Has anyone experience the same symptoms overtime and is it possible that herpes onset occur 3-4 months after last sexual activity. Im very worried it might be HSV1 or 2 and it is racking hell me and I have been in discomfort eversince. I read there are different strain of HSV and Im also worried about HSV 8 becos apparently I have a spot on my chest that looks like what HSV8 will cause (Im HIV -ve just did the test 4 months after exposure). Could anyone please enlighten me.  I regret having unprotected and oral sex. I hate what I did to my body. It has been coming to 3 months and Im still not sure whats wrong with me.
Hey guys,

I am so thankful that there are people out there like me.  I contracted Herpes Simplex 2 when I was brutally raped 8 years ago, and have been struggling with it since.  I was on Valtrex for quite some time, but now that I have no insurance and no Valtrex I didnt know what to do.  I went to Google and typed in Herpes and a ton of articles about L-Lysine came up.  Then I found this site.  I am in the middle of a breakout now, and taking Lysine, and hopefully it will clear it up.  I also dry the area really well after showers, baths and bathroom breaks and put a generous amount of corn starch on the affected area to keep it dry.  This seems to work as well.  If anyone has any other tricks up their sleeves I would be happy to hear.  Thank you!
Hi.  My daughter has Herpes 2 about 3.5 years ago.  Very bad outbreak around her buttocks, hips, genital areas.  She was told at first it was shingles.  Only after testing it proved to be Herpes 2.  I took her to a Vibrational Healer who treated her only once.  She also told her to use Honey and Beeswax Healing Ointment from Chainbridge Honey Farm in England to help to heal the sores and help with the stinging when in the toilet.  

It would be difficult for me to explain the therapy here.  It combines energy and homeopathy principles and is applied at the time.  The treatement works at cell energy level or neutralise and repair.  The healer was a consultant rheumatologist before she left the NHS, frustrated by the topical treatements.

My daughter had been given aciclovir by the doctor but had already arranged to visit the healer around the same time.  She tested the aciclovir and advised my daugher it was not only not good for her but it was 5% bad for her (they measure body levels and effect in percentages).  My daughter (and I to a degree) was frightened to trust the treatment since she was so bad with the outbreak, however, she did and it cleared up.   A few weeks later, there was a very slight outbreak - she panicked and took the aciclovir for 2 days, which made her very sick.  The healer said that was the last of the virus working its way out of the body.

Sure enough, since then she has not had any outbreaks or threatened outbreaks.

I know how distressed she was.  She now believes she will never have another one.  If she does, we would go back to the Vibrational Healer.  

I suffer from occasional outbreaks of Herpes1.  Aciclovir did help me initially but it seems to be less effective now.  I will make an appointment to see the Vib Healer.

We live in Scotland and there are only a couple of people who do this although she is training others at the moment.  Her appointment list is a year ahead unless it is urgent.  I believe Vib healing is well known in Australia, who lead the way with natural/complementary medicines.

Given the severity of the disease, I wonder if it would be worth you researching for a vibrational healer near you.  Ours is a 5 hour drive away but worth it!   I know people who travel from England and stay locally to be treated.

I wish you all a painfree and outbreak free life!   Good luck to you all.
I have been taking L-Lysine for my outbreaks for quite a while.  Then, I recently began taking the l-Lysine daily to prevent the outbreaks.  It has worked really well.  Now, I feel the need to research the long-term impacts of daily use.  Now, I see the L-Lysine can raise LDL Cholesterol levels, which is not a good thing, and which it is already something I am trying to lower.  This is such a catch 22.  My Dr. of Natural Medicine suggested Broad Beans as an herbal alternative to the L-Lysine tablets I have been taking.  I have not done it yet because it is more expensive but my research indicates that it is an excellent source of L-Lysine  
I have suffered with fever blisters for most of my life...used to get them and my lips would turn inside out.  My parents talked to the family doc and he rec'd a 2nd round of small pox vaccinations (cousin virus).  It did significantly reduce the frequency; however, as I aged they began to recur.

Herpes 1 and 2  (aka simplex and complex) are very closely related to chicken pox, small pox and shingles.  In my quest, a small research project from the 1950's was discovered.  The project doc'd the use of L-Lysine in the treatment of the herpes virus.  Here are the basic findings.  The virus hides in the nerve cells preventing the immune system from wiping it out of the body, i.e. anti-body development.  The virus requires L-Arginine to reproduce; however, L-Arginine and L-Lysine work in tandom with each other.  In other words, if you raise one the other lowers.  When taking the L-Lysine, the reproduction AA drops and the virus is only viable until the mature dies or is killed by the body.  There was one caution...don't drop the L-Arginine too low as it will prevent your immune system from producing white blood cells.  

My favorite reference books - "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" and "The Vitamin Bible" - seem to support this little known study as well as additional information.  For example, lemon balm (herb) is recommended for topical treatment of the site.  I control the AA levels through my food choices and then if feel an outbreak coming I introduce supplementation (500 -1000mg/day).  According to everything I have found, there is not a RDA or toxicity level of L-Lysine.  This methodology is very effective for me.

My personal experience is that tea tree oil, oil of rosemary and oil of oregano are also effective topically.  However, they are like the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and vary in discomfort.  Caution...be certain to get natural/true oils.  The inexpensive or synthetic does not work. Your local druggist can special order pharmaceutical grade for you.  

God Bless!
sd
I have to say reading all your posts and seeing that other people are in the same boat as i am has given me a great deal of hope and confidence that i can handle this and still live a health and productive life so Thank you and please continue to post your story/tips I promise you they will help someone in the future who is just going threw this like i am. I have Herpes 2 and got it from unprotected oral sex. What i thought might be a in grown hair turned out to be Herpes i went to my doctor to have it looked at and got a blood test and it was confirmed. I had my first out break in June of this year and i am now having my second just started a few days ago, due to not watching what i was eating and lack of sleep. I stumbled across this thread 4 days ago and this is the second day I have been taking Lysine and I think its working. I take a warm not hot shower every day and use only dove soap and after i dry off i dip a q tip in Tee Tree Oil and place it on the patch of bumps i have it stings only briefly but i think it helps with the itching and discomfort. Yesterday i only took 2 1000mg of Lysine and today going to go with 3 1000mg and see how that works. Since this is the second day of second out break I think its working, the itching is not as bad as it was yesterday and I think the bumps are starting to go down. My doctor said that he can give me medication for my out breaks but after hearing that they don't really work, i am going to see how this works out first. I am working on changing my diet and exercising more to keep my immune system up and will check back on the thread to see if anyone else has any other helpful tips. Thanks again to all.
Has anyone ever had a Herxheimer Reaction from Lysine before?  After reading through a lot of the posts I noticed some people experiencing symptoms after they start treating.  This is a known "die-off" effect of a virus or bacteria in your system.  So far I haven't found any research that confirms it's possible to HERX from having Herpes.  Any discussion is appreciated!

JN
I, like so many others, when first diagnosed with Herpes Simplex 1 was prescribed Valtrex. After only marginal success I discovered a regimen nicknamed "John's Cure" that is posted on the internet to aid with Meniere's syndrome which I have had for 40 years. It mentioned L-Lysine as an antiviral agent also used for Herpes. I started with 1000 mgs taken 3X a day to ease the Herpes symptoms.
After immediate relief I eased back to a maintenance dose of 1000 mgs 1X daily which works well. If I feel an outbreak starting I take 5000 to 8000 mgs for a couple of days and I am fine. As an aside, my Herpes affects the insides of my nose and my inner ear. The inner ear symptoms were unbearable with violent nausea and dizziness. I am delighted to have something so readily available at a reasonable price that works.
I have got Herpes Simplex ( also called dendritic ulcer ) in my right eye, this started about 23 years ago and was a major headache as it was almost impossible to go outside into bright sunlight.This finally settled down after about 2-3 years ,Oct last year 2010  it flared up again. I am currently taking Predsol eye drops and Acyclovair tablets once a day to keep under control but its draging on and on.   Treatment back 23 years ago and now has not real advanced for me although I had possible 18 years with no trouble. Vision is quickly affected and if outbreak starts you need to quickly get down to the Hospitial ASAP. So any advice on Lysine for related Herpes affecting eyes would really be appprecated.
I have been taking 4000 mg of L-lysine before each meal and it hasr reduced outbreaks dramatically and also found that when I feel an outbreak beginning or am in the middle of one, applying apple cider vinegar drastically reduces the symptoms. I have also been having some stomach issues that I think may be related to the amount of L-lysine intake but I find when I reduce my consumption outbreaks are more frequent. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix that? I have also drastically changed my diet eliminating foods high in argenine but still suffer from outbreaks about once a month.
Stomach problems seem common with high amounts of this. 4000 mg is a lot! I'm not sure how long you have had this virus but your body will start fighting this on its own and have less frequent outbreaks as you go. I have had this since I was 19 years old and now 42. I have an outbreak about 3 times a year maybe. If I am under more than usual stress or drink too much or eat too much junk food.
I don't take the perscription drugs at for this. The side effects wouldn't offset the results which were crap.
The last time I posted anything to this site at all I got hammered by a practicing RN who didnt like my comments about telling people what to do naturally to help them. I have had this for over 20 years.........believe me.....I know.
Try and get some exercise, eat right and take multi-vitamins and a good regimine of supplements to build your imune system up.
I personally take about 10-12 supplements per day.
L-lysine will help but it isn't the only thing to take. It isn't a miracle supplement by any means. 500mg a day should be enough and during outbreaks you can get that up to about 2000mg.
Stay off cokes and citrus drinks as much as you can.
Its a life style change but not so much that you will notice.
Save your money too. There is nothing out there that will cure this. I have spent and tried a lot of mail order stuff.
This is my experience and I'm only trying to help those who have this. I don't work for a doctor and am not a medical professional so take the advice or don't take it but I didn't learn this in books. I lived it.
Good luck!
High supplemental zinc intakes of 50 mg/day or more for extended periods of time may result in copper deficiency. High dietary zinc increases the synthesis of an intestinal cell protein called metallothionein, which binds certain metals and prevents their absorption by trapping them in intestinal cells.
Interesting comments by (Dreamdude, Aug 22, 2011 01:50AM) about the use of lysine and applying apple cider vinegar. On the advise of an Homeopath doctor  myself and my wife have been using cider vinegar off and on for the last year for indigestion symptoms or trapped gas within the body with excellent results.One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in about inch and a half of glass of water ( its not the best of tastes).
i take l-lysine 500mg a day and vitamin c 500 mg a day i wake up dizzy nautious sad and stomach discomfort. i cant tell whether is the vitamin c or l-lysine, combination of both or neither. i feel terrible.
I have to take my supplements with a meal or my stomach hurts as well.
Could also be stress related. Have you been under a lot of stress lately?
500 mg isn't a lot.
Hope it gets better!

I have had HSV1 (cold sores, fever blisters) since I was 21, from a kiss. I am now 40.  I typically break out on one location of my lips, but occasionally have multiple location breakouts to include the bridge of my nose.

From my experience:  Yes, a sunburn will likely cause a breakout. Yes a fever will likely cause a breakout. Yes a highly stressful situation can cause a breakout. Yes physical trauma (getting hit in the lip) will likely cause a breakout.  Yes, worrying about it makes it worse. And of course more than one of these "causes" at a time will make the breakout more severe.

I have been taking L-Lysine of varying doses and varying frequency for over 10 years, and it is quite effective at preventing a breakout when taken daily.  I now take 1000mg each morning, and it has kept me virtually free of breakouts for years.  When I do feel a tingle or see a bump on my lip, I take 2000mg twice a day, and the signs of a breakout usually don't last 3 days.  When I had not been taking L-Lysine daily and had a breakout, taking 2000 to 3000 mg twice a day would usually clear me up within a week.  

Why I am here: I'm trying to find out if there are any LONG TERM effects of the daily use of L-Lysing.  For the last several years I have been subject to muscle and tendon strains, and have very sore joints frequently.  
I thought it had to do with drinking alcohol (a lot) daily, but haven't had a drink in almost a year, with no signs of improvement in the soft tissue department.
My doctor says it's arthritis, because I have a physical job... but I'm not a pro wrestler or football player, I do paint and trim work. She prescribed Meloxicam 15mg, and it has helped my knees considerably... but I still suffer.
I also take a glucosamine - chondroitin supplement daily (several years)
I still feel as if there is something not right.  
I can't afford health insurance, so likewise, I can't afford a battery of tests.  
Could the long term use of L-Lysine be the cause of my aches and pains?  Does long term, daily use of L-Lysine keep my L-Argenine levels too low, causing muscle and tendon weakness?  ... or should I look somewhere else entirely?  I'm tired of being sore.
I hear ya! I have been taking Lysine for years as well.
We are in our 40's! I still hit the gym but not like I used to.
I am like that as well. I get a massage about every two weeks, stretch and had to change out my matress cause I couldn't sleep.
Not sure which one helped, but I sleep now!
Good luck. No.....I dont think Lysine is your problem.
I've had HSV1 and/or 2 for about 28 years.  I'm now 47 and had first outbreak at 19.  First diagnosed as shingles, so the prescription for acyclovir worked.  I only used it when I had an outbreak, which was vary rarely for the first 20, or so..  

The last few years, though, the outbreaks became constant, as in several a week, so I opted for Valtrex daily (1mg) to control it.  This did dramatically reduce the number of breakouts, but didn't stop them, and I was experiencing all the drug side effects, so I decided to stop taking it recently, after about a year, and the outbreaks came back with a vengeance.

A few weeks ago, I started trying to find anything else I might do, because the virus caused me severe nerve pain, as well as the discomfort of the itching blisters and healing wound.  Having several outbreaks, at varying stages, all the time, is maddening!  

I found some references to L-Lysine, Monolaurin and BHT being a "safer" and more effective means of controlling the virus, so I started taking them...1000mg of L-Lysine daily, 250mg of BHT daily and 1/4 tsp of monolaurin twice daily.  My breakouts all cleared up and I was completely clear for about 3 weeks (a miracle), but something seemed to be interfering with my birth control (not an option!).  I suspected the BHT, so stopped taking it and remained clear for another couple of weeks, but started getting another outbreak (rather large and very painful one) 4 days ago :(  Upped my dosage of L-Lysine to 4000mg daily and monolaurin to 1 tsp twice daily for the last 3 days.  Now, the blistered have broken and another patch is coming up right beside it :(  

I've stopped eating chocolate, drinking coffee, etc...  I had been eating oatmeal every morning, even during the time I had no outbreaks, but I've stopped that too.  I'm at a loss as to why mine would clear up so beautifully and then come back so strongly, even though I continued with daily L-Lysine and the monolaurin.  I have re-introduced the BHT, but nothing seems to be stopping this freight train of pain :(

Oh, and I had a blood test done a couple of weeks ago that was positive for HSV-1 and 2.  I don't know exactly when I contracted either.  I have never had a fever blister.  My outbreaks are almost always on my lower back, just above the top of my crack.  The first one was in the middle of my butt cheek, but it only came up there in the first few years.  It will also occasionally be near my anus or in my crack.  I'm not sure it matters where the outbreaks are, except that they can be more painful or damaging is some areas, so I try to be grateful mine don't show and aren't in my eyes or ears, etc..., though I can't imagine it being like this the rest of my life :(  I'm also very grateful for my fiance who is very understanding and non-judgmental, though I fear that he will get it!

I would be grateful to hear any wisdom you have to share about my situation and possible reasons/solutions!  Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post here!

I get flu like symptoms. I too get stomach aches before an outbreak, but not every time.  The stomach aches are kind of new, just in the past 6 months.  Before and now I feel extra fatigued, itchy and hot.   I've found that ice packs on the inflamed area help.  I haven't tried anything else to lessen the symptoms, but I should.
I suffer with cold sores sometimes especially when I'm run down and l-lysine definitely works for me. I take 1000mg tablets daily which helps prevent them and helps cure an outbreak quicker. Herpes virus needs arginine to grow which another amino acid but L-lysine blocks arginine and fights the virus quicker too. Hope this helps
I've suffered from cold sores all my life, around 10 yrs ago I happened to read that using the juice of a lemon will relieve the symptoms of the virus. I TRY, as soon as I feel the tingle, (although that sometimes happens around 4 in the morning) to apply the lemon juice onto the site where it is tingling. All I do is cut a lemon in half and rub as hard as I can at the site, I do this on a regular basis throughout the morning to kill the virus as quickly as possible before it can form into a blister, overtime I've worked out that if a blister does appear I have to rub at it until it bursts, the juice stings like hell ( but I've come to relish the pain as I know it's starting to work staight away), but it effectively stops forming, it crusts over very quickly and more often than not is completely gone by the afternoon or the next day, and hardly noticable that there was one there in the first place. If though, I don't get it in time and it forms into a bigger sore it takes awhile longer to stop spreading and it hurts even more when I rub it, but it does work. I don't ever use any of the cold sore creams, I found that I would have the blister for a week or more using them. Have been meaning to start the L-lysine and now as I was just told today by the Dr that I have the genital virus I've decided that today is as good a time as any. Am going to apply the lemon juice treatment on my next outbreak, and as it's only around the anus I'm hoping it's going to prove just as successful as it is on the oral outbreaks. So glad I found this forum, and able to share our own experiences is very helpful. Lisa
I have experienced HSV 1 and 2 in varying degrees pretty much all my life... (now 57).  Can it be inherited I wonder? Because I had one parent who had it and the other parent never suffered from it. Similarly, I've had it for as long as I can remember, my husband never contracted it... (married for 28 years). I too have gone for YEARS between outbreaks. The onset can be caused by any number of reasons, stress, fatigue, a period of poor dietary intake, fever or flu like symptoms, sunburn, windburn, even a partners abrasive beard during a kissing session can bring it on. I don't take ongoing daily supplementation like others here, preferring to use the supplement only when I can feel an outbreak coming on.  The following regimen works well for me.  I take an L-lysine supplement which also includes vit c, zinc and astragalus membranaceous, and I take it OFTEN during the tingling, itching stage. If I catch it early enough I can reduce the severity considerably. My most recent and miraculous discovery is Myrrh Oil which I keep dabbing on to the blister/s often to reduce the pain and itching. The oil seems to dry them out and (possibly?) kill the virus... this seems to bypass the horrendous painful, crusty scabbing stage.  It is expensive, but one bottle would last a very long time.  Despite the occasional bout with this virus, I have led a pretty normal existence.  Good luck Jo
I have experienced HSV 1 and 2 in varying degrees pretty much all my life... (now 57).  Can it be inherited I wonder? Because I had one parent who had it and the other parent never suffered from it. Similarly, I've had it for as long as I can remember, my husband never contracted it... (married for 28 years). I too have gone for YEARS between outbreaks. The onset can be caused by any number of reasons, stress, fatigue, a period of poor dietary intake, fever or flu like symptoms, sunburn, windburn, even a partners abrasive beard during a kissing session can bring it on. I don't take ongoing daily supplementation, preferring to use the supplement only when I can feel an outbreak coming on.  The following regimen works well for me.  I take an L-lysine supplement which also includes vit c, zinc and astragalus membranaceous, and I take it OFTEN during the tingling, itching stage. If I catch it early enough I can reduce the severity considerably. My most recent and MIRACULOUS discovery is Myrrh Oil which I keep dabbing on the blister/s often to reduce the pain and itching. The oil seems to dry them out and (possibly?) kill the virus... seems to bypass the horrendous painful, crusty scabbing, lip splitting when you smile stage.  It is expensive, but one bottle would last a very long time. Oh I too take a glass or Apple Cider Vinegar with a little honey in hot water in the mornings.  I believe this alkalises me. Surprisingly, it tastes quite nice. Despite the occasional bout with this virus, I have led a pretty normal existence.  Good luck with it.   Joname
I am a 28 yo female with HSV II & have had it for about 5yrs. I was diagnosed shortly after my ex-husband & I had sex for the first time. (He was later diagnosed...not sure who infected who?) I was having outbreaks fairly regularly after that (about once every month or so) and it was usually right before or after my period. I had been taking Valtrex and had some success. (This seemed to shorten & lessen the severity but did not seem to prevent outbreaks). I was losing my insurance temporarily and would not be able to afford the Valtrex so I asked my pharmacist for suggestions. She suggested L-lysine 500mg/day preventative & 1000mg 2x/daily for breakouts. I have to say this did really work. I stopped taking it daily though as I was afraid of "buildup" so to speak.

Now I have always had some OB/gyn issues & actually had to have a hysterectomy about a year ago. Since then, I have only had two breakouts and they were VERY MILD. They never even formed the full blisters. Again, I have not been taking any supplements since. This said I have also recently had a lot of stress, i.e.recent divorce, new position at work and dealing with unruly children. So does anyone know if a woman's cycle or lack there of directly effect the virus?

I am also curious if anyone has any advise on how to introduce this into your sex life? Since I am recently divorced & have not had another sexual partner yet, I have not experienced having to tell someone that I have this. I have really been worried about it & feel "unclean" or "tainted" as many others has described. I have often felt that I may never have another sexual partner again because I am so embarrassed by it. Does anyone have any advice?
so here i am 33 and female and i have self-diagnosed genital herpes, first outbreak i have ever had with any kind of herpes and it's painful, taxing on the body ( it is a virus ) and upsetting.  at first i may have had some pain then some itching ( i shave my pubic area ) and then what i thought was an ingrown hair and another? and yet another but where hair does not grow, so i see some online pics and descriptions and quickly realize f*** ( i also notice a pimple on my tongue? so i head to walmart for l-lysine because a) my natural medicine book that has been like a bible to me since my twenties lists it as an essential nutrient for herpes and b) my mother who got her first cold sore in her fifties? ( around there ) swears by it.  i dare not tell my mother though.  the pain in walmart was so bad from the rubbing of my clothes due to walking, i was literally walking funny.  within an hour or so of taking the l-lysine i had major relief.  then i eat some chocolate/nuts and omg that pimple on my tongue turns into an ulcer.....so basically i believe it could be a cold sore on my tongue, due to oral with infected partner?  for the sores i found applying a warm green tea bag was soothing as well as helpful in healing, i also applied vitamin e skin oil to tongue and vaginal sores, basically when i though i couldnt take the pain on my tongue anymore it went away within a day, i was megadosing on l-lysine ( up to 3000 mgs at a time which did hurt my stomach )   i also took vitamin c up to 500 mgs at a time, chilled on the brown rice and oatmeal for a few days ( my usual carbs as a fitness model) when i reintroduced oatmeal i found it soothing to my tongue....so i will keep eating it.  i also 50 mgs of zinc, co enzyme q 10, stopped coffee and drank more water, lemon in the water doesnt hurt either.  i confided in my male friends and found support there, i chose not to tell my female friends and told only my sister who offered no support.  the person who i suspect gave me this offered zero support and a few insults.  i re-evaluated who i was choosing to be intimate with.  i read too about inserting a peeled clove of garlic in the vagina which i tried but only for a minute cuz it kinda burned but i do believe that it has anti viral properties and i have long believed vitamin c in large doses does as well.  it has been about a week and i am definitely on the mend, the blisters that were starting when i took the l-lysine never progressed and disappeared but the original inital ones are running their course.  i believe if i knew i actually had herpes and took the l-lysine right away i would've never experienced the pain and discomfort i did from the initial sores.  i cried a lot, spent a few days in lockdown in my condo and didnt laugh or smile but eventually ( about a week ) i improved.  i dont think i will take l-lysin everyday but save it for the tell-tale itch i initially thought was from shaving and that will be enough to prevent the outbreak from progressing to a issue and also cut the carbs in my diet but only for a day or so...my outlook is positive, i think this is manageable and out of every bad thing u can find a good thing if u open ur mind enough to see what it is.  i recently learned about how parasites are helping people and a virus is a single-celled parasite and you are it's host.  i heard that herpes can prevent breast cancer or help treat it and hookworm can give allergy suffers relief....so try and determine if there is anything positive out of this experience for you, for me, it was definitely a wake-up call to whom i chose to be intimate with as i found better support from platonic males than the actual person i was intimate with in dealing with this experience.  i wish all the best and as time goes on i hope to share more of what i learn with all of you.  god bless, for those of you suffering alone, confiding in someone could help.
i meant 5000 mgs not 500 mgs of vitamin c at a time but i am use to this amount of c and u may have to work up to it diarrhea means uve met ur threshold of vit c....sorry form y grammar and typo errors but im on no sleep!@!
yes from what i have read the onset of ur cycle does increase risk for outbreak ( carb craving and stress are high too at this time ...coincidence i think not!  and stress definitely contributes
my advice on new relationships be honest talk openly if someone judges u run 1 in 4 ppl have this and most dont knwo itso that person judging u could have it and tell them theoretically u could have it, blood test come back neg when clearly there are sores there as well....
i found telling ppl and talking openly was not nearly as bad as i originally thought everyone would run and what in fact experienced was massive support form those who truly were my friends, even feeling closer to them through talking about it...i too ahve a child and am widowed from the child's father.....nothing wrong with being single, actually it means u have enough strength to stand alone, not everyone can do that so if u can ur ahead!!!!
This is an old thread BUT yes I get general flu symptoms, which is a known thing about hsv1.  I get it on my lips, Inside mouth, gums, throat.  I
Also suspect I have it on my stomach lining.  
I have been taking L-lysine daily for several years, and it IS effective at controlling outbreaks. I initially registered here to find out if there are any long term side effects of taking it daily, and nobody has said anything to make me think so.
Unlike many meds, my body has NOT built up a tolerance that has required me to keep upping my dose - the same dose has been working well for several years.
Save yourself some pain and suffering. Don't wait until you start to get an outbreak before you start taking the L-lysine,  just take it every day.  
I'd say go and get a booster chicken pox vaccination (Varicella).  We are the first recipients of vaccinations, because there were no vaccinations before the 60's and when the vaccinations (Varicella) wear off, if they do, or get weaker, what happens?  We are still forming that research........so with chicken pox vaccinations, the fallout or side affect may be shingles....not everybody but a large growing majority of people do have them and it will be shown in the research materials, if and when they release it.  
L-lysine is great ive been taking it for years 500 mg a day in my orange juice every morning with food   no side effects but i did notice when I didnt take it for 4-5 days i did get a bad cold,, no outbreaks for a long long long time,, years practically
Hey everyone, I have suffered with herpes for so long and finally this year I have found RELIEF!  I have had constant pain for years, and now i rub coconut oil on and repeat as many times as I need. it really helps alot, but I also take llysine, olive leaf and occasionally oil of oregano. this has given me my life back, but it has been a long road, as I have experienced SEVERE DIE OFF at first, and got very sick, I feel like my life has been saved and will continue this treatment. I hope this will help someone.....Olive leaf and coconut oil are the two things that I feel has given me the most relief......I would suggest that you do your own research and find what works for you........
Hi, I love this discussion on Herpes.  I was just diagnosed with genital herpes a couple of months ago.  I can't figure out how I got it, unless it has been dormant for many years.  My husband for 19 yrs doesn't have it, although he has recently had shingles and also had shingles many years ago when he was 18.  I wonder if you can catch herpes from shingles??  I have had bad herpes in my mouth for a few years and started using Llysine then with great success.  After having my first outbreak of genital and taking the Med. the Dr gave me, I started taking Llysine daily for my genital herpes.  So far I haven't had another outbreak.  My sore (1) is also on the top of my buttocks.  Weird.
I'm a female that contacted herpes from a past boyfriend a few years ago and have outbreaks that form on my R butt cheek once a month normally around when my period is due. They are painful and annoying. I started taking L-Lysine 1000mg a day and 3000mg if I feel an outbreak coming then back to 1000mg. I also take Gigartina Red Marine Algae daily. I went from getting an outbreak once a month to once a year if I forget to take my supplements. Also I use (Vibrant Health RMA Soothing Ointment With Red Marine Algae) on the outbreak and it kills the virus. Hope this helps.
I would take 3000- 4500 mg Lysine (three tablets of 1500 every day), teaspoon of organic coconut oil, spirulina, and a really good natural (not synthetic) multi-vitamin...And of course read your bible and pray for God to come into your life. Pray that he heals you spiritually and physically.  For God nothing is impossible.  
Fullmergarvin, I just read this entire thread! Great to find your post about  turning to God. Anything is possible thru him. Turn your life over to him and respect your body,treat it like a temple. Clean it,purify it.
     I just started taking 1,000 mg of l-lysine, 1 gram of Valtrex / 3 times a day. Also 500 mg of vit C / 2 times a day. So far ALL the  damage is reversing it's self. This disease can be a nightmare if you give up hope and then despair. It will just feed the herpes virus.
For the last 25 yrs  I lived on orange juice,coke,white bread,sugar,red meat 5-8 times a week and lots of drive thru food. Now it will be the opposite, high l lysine foods and minimal Arginine loaded foods. This virus has changed/ saved my life.
         I had a major stress period that lasted for 6 weeks and the the flu. Well herpes kicked in with a vengeance. This worked for me,I am not in the health field. Just trying to pass on my info, Merry Christmass to all of you.
God bless you all!
Hi everyone, I've found this thread very interesting and some of the things I've read have been very helpful.

I am a 22 year old female and have suffered from the HSV-1 strain of herpes for as long as I can remember. Fortunately for me I have only suffered with cold sores on my mouth, but many a school photo has been ruined because of a scabby outbreak on my lip and many times have I not gone out because I've felt embarrassed about the way I look. I have been to the doctors countless times about them but all they've ever given me was acyclovir (Zovirax) cream and a in tablet form. Nothing has worked for me. I've tried everything you can buy over the counter in the chemist, I've tried everything the doctor has prescribed and I've even tried many old housewive tricks. The only thing that worked for a little while was the little patches you could buy, but now they've seem to have lost their effect on me.

A friend of a friend suggested I try l-lysine supplements. Being a the point I'm at I was pretty much willing to give anything a try. So I popped down to my local Holland and Barrett store and the man there told me to try the 1000mg tablets and to take 1 every day. I was in the middle of an outbreak at the time and I was suprised to see it disappear fairly quickey than normal. However, after 4 days of taking it I've now have another outbreak and I'm not sure if its because I've only been taking them for 4 days or if it doesn't work for me? Can anybody shed some light on that?

Also, I've been noticing that since I've been taking it I've had some pretty bad diarrhea and occasionally sickness but I'm not sure if thats connected or I'm generally coming down with something?

Having read this topic I'm now also slightly concerned about the weight issue. I am definitely not keen on the prospect of gaining weight and was wondering if anyone could either confirm or deny that side effect?

Thanks for those who can give me any information.

Cara
Thank you all so much for posting, I have had blisters on my mouth since October and I was desperately trying to find something that would help me.
I had heard about L Lysine and I am going to try it, first as a small dose, then slowly increase.  Using an ice cube at the first sign of twitching or tingling can help I have to hold the ice cube on for at least a half hour.  I have been told that it freezes the nerves and stops the fever blisters.  I also eat yogurt every day as I have heard that can help.  Until recently it was working just fine however I have been under a tremendous amount of stress since November so I think the daily yogurt just didn't have a chance.
This is a great post
Dee
Hi Vicki, I, too, have Herpes and have had for thirty two years.
I have taken a little of the Zovcar, but very little..I rarely have
an outbreak..The things that cause me to breakout was,too
much fruits(vitaminC) and not enough rest...Mine is around
my crotch area and around my mouth...Lysine is not toxic.
Have taken it in long stretches..It is given to animal's to
keep down disease..Take lot's of vitamins and a healthy
lifestyle..By the way I'm seventyone...
I , sadly, ommitted in my post to alert all that stress is a majoy factor
in bringing on an episode..Keep a journal of the foods you injest and i
think you will discover that it has a major cause of an outbreak,
Brocolli , peanuts are two that come to mind..Fresh fruits and etc..
Listen to your body and double check your record of what you have
eaten..Diet is important since many things bring it on..Oh, certain
spices , also... Everyone may be different..Have never discussed
this with anyone before....
No need to bother spending your money on doctor bills.
There is no cure..Watch what you eat that trigger's
an episode and avoid in the future..Too, much citrus
has caused me outbreaks, peanuts, raw broccoli..
Take the Lysine,,,Try zinc along with that..if it doesn't
work , drop the zinc...Loss of sleep, stress and factor's
that throws you off of your routine....of rest..
I have Herpes and have for several years. I tried Valtrex and Zoverax, none of that worked! When I asked my OBGYN about L-Lysine he looked at me an shrugged his shoulders. The doctors don't know anything but what they learn in their medical books and don't think outside the box! I take 4000 MG of Lysine a day and during an outbreak upto 8000mg. Take it with food and you won't get the stomach aches. This is the only thing that has worked and ofcourse staying away from Peanuts, peanut butter and too much sugar. I still get the outbreaks but they are a million times less painful and half as long.
This is an awesome site.  Thank you Vicki for starting it.  I just wanted to say something my Dr told me about 10 yrs ago when I was discussing this annoying herpes problem on my buttock with him.  He told me in the old days, a herpes blister was known as the "Angel of Life".  It was because many people died of fevers, etc, but if you were fortunate to get a fever blister, you somehow avoided the fever.  He was from Germany...retired now.  Has anyone else heard of this.  I will add that I rarely ever get a cold (some symptoms, not not full blown) and haven't had a fever for over 30 yrs, before I had my first outbreak.  So maybe we are a fortunate bunch!
Interesting posting-so nice to know i have "company"!

I am 55 years old and had my first outbreak  after a week away at summer camp when i was 7 years old. For over 40 years it always started with a tingle on my left upper lip and then progressed to a full-out coldsore. The last few years the cold sore moves to different areas of my mouth-right side-left side-middle.It was weird when it started "hopping" around.
Nothing ever helped. mostly because by the time i got an appointment with my Dr for the latest ointment it was way too late to treat effectively.
I know i've got an hour or 2 at the most to grab the l-lysine and start treating myself. i am a nurse that works some night shifts and i am never without a bottle in my bag. Stress/sleeplessness/anxiety increase my odds of having an outbreak.

NOW THE  MOST SIGNIFICANT OBSERVATION
I had frequent  colds for many years. I used to work in an acute care setting and was frequently battling sore throats, long lasting coughs etc
I have switched to a "healthier' setting, and there will  be a tingle warning rather than onset of  a cough/cold. Plus I know i've had a few sleepless nights and feel really really tired.
I now get the cold sore instead-over 98% of the time!~!!
BUT IF I GET THE l-Lysine INTO MY BODY-THE COLD SORE WILL NOT PROGRESS. It's so easy to  take 1 GM 3-5 times a day for the first 48 hours then titre down as the sore subsides. I only take it for a few days and never as a preventative -only when the tingle starts.
I will  also add again STRESS is a huge factor.  
My husband and 2 sons have never bad a cold sore.
I always have severe muscle aches, headaches, and just a general feeling of not feeling well...............also, I get the "blues"----------I always know a breakout is coming :(
I broke out in coldsores on Sunday, which I have been having all my life. I am a performer so the outbreaks really effect my confidence. I began taking lysine on the Sunday when I felt a tingle. I had bought them ready to try but not started them yet. Usually by Monday my sore would be very swollen and painful and almost always spread into a huge area. Its now Tuesday and my sores have not even swelled in the slightest and are totally flat and un noticeable. I will continue to take the pills everyday as a preventative. No side effects
Francesca
Has anyone ever tried Medavir for HSV2?  Does it work like it says?  Also, knowing the Lysine is beneficial for a time period.  All of you who have been on it for years- have you had any liver problems?  Lastly, whats better 500mg daily or 1000mg?  Everyone is awesome- u just gotta know it
This is a great discussion, thanks to everyone who posted. I am a 45 yr old female, work full time and have a toddler. My life is highly stressful and I get limited sleep. My first husband gave me HSV-1 when we first started dating. At the time it was no big deal, I'd rarely get outbreaks and when I did I just used topical cream (which didn't work) and suffered through it. Last year I contracted HSV-2 from my current partner. This caused a lot of emotional / stressful issues. So far, touch wood, I have only had outbreaks on my lips. I went and got checked for HSV-2 because both lips went crazy with sores and I felt very sick. Nothing I did stopped the outbreak and it was mortifying to go to work and get comments like "I see you've been sucking dirty **** again". I felt dirty and was disgusted with myself. For the most part I've come to terms with it now, and yes, my partner and I are still together but both of us and our relationship has suffered as a result of this.
He takes multivitamins every day. That's it. He has only had a couple of outbreaks on his penis. One small sore.
I take multivitamins every day. I take L-Lysine every day, 500mg in the morning and again at night. I have only been doing this since HSV-2, so for less than a year now. When I get an outbreak I dose right up and include massive amounts of Vitamin C. I am constantly on the verge of a breakout. Sometimes it will start, but I double dose straight away and it will be gone the same day. If it starts at night when I'm asleep, I lose.
I have gained weight, I bleed, spot almost constantly but still have my normal periods. I feel bloated and unwell all the time. Headaches etc. I've learned that I will never drink alcohol again, never been a big drinker but even one glass will now set off an outbreak. I've cut back on coffee and smoking. I carefully watch what I eat. Doesn't make much difference though. I feel exhausted all the time, like my body is fighting a war and so far isn't winning. I feel resentful that my partner gave this to me and doesn't seem to suffer much himself but it has overloaded me. I am tired of feeling sick all the time.
This thread has helped because I've decided now to try vibrational healing and will take myself off to a natural healer and see what they come up with. I haven't had a cold or flu since contracting HSV-2, but I feel like I have a cold all the time now instead. Just a general malaise constantly.
Hate the weight gain. Always had good self-esteem before, not any more. I should probably go see a counsellor too because there are obviously unresolved emotional issues as well.
I know that if this relationship ends there won't be another for me, I wouldn't want to give this to anyone else.
Anyway, will post again after the vibrational therapy with the results.
Take care everyone.
I do not have herpes that I know of, but get a cold sore every so often.  I happened upon this forum when researching Amino acids and wanted to share something.

I got a cold sore under my tongue after consuming a zinc cold tablet.  It was really painful.  Later that day I put my l-glutamine in my bottled water and within minutes of drinking it the cold sore is GONE.  I did a bit more research and found that L-glutamine ups the T-cells in our bodies which fight viruses, and some people do use it in tandem with L-Lysine for complete herpes management!  Thought I'd share.
Great news! If you have Herpes...stop taking artificial sweeteners.I am 49, I have had Herpes II since '94. I have always had 3 outbreaks a year. About 12 months ago I read about the artifical sweetener/Herpes connection. I stopped consuming Splenda,Sweet and Low among others... and have had zero outbreaks since!  Also...you can replace the artifical sweetener with Stevia...a natural sweetener. I know this is no cure... but what a start!
I'd just like to update on my use of l-lysine.

I have been taking them for nearly 2 months now and at first it went well, I didn't feel so much as a tingle. But in the last month I have had 4 outbreaks of coldsores on my mouth and nose. I have never ever had them on my nose before now.

I'm disappointed and frustrated. I have been suffering from coldsores since I was 3 years old and I have tried literally everything. I got my hopes up and truly believed that this would help me but it seems I am unhelpable. I'll just have to accept that I'm going to suffer from these all my life :(
Hi guys!!!
I started taking l-lysine few days ago in order to keep the curse calm and silent.

I usually have 1 outbreak a year but last january... drove me crazy, having 3 outbreaks in a row... after 4 months

My bf is scared of getting it during the periods in which the herpes is inactive, is that possible? I mean LIKELY? or a remote unlucky circumstance?

Thank you
Anne

It's hard to tell a new partner hat you have herpes... I went through years of turmoil and monthly outbreaks which often ran into secondary infections whihc were excruciatingly painful and my Dr.s often did not pick up on them.  I was often nauseous with the pain and was prescribed tamadol and codeine.  Neither of them came close to dulling the pain.  Anyway, I found a wonderful guy who I sat down and explained the whole thing to.  I contracted Herpes Type II from an abusive ex boyfriend.  My new boyfriend was so supportive I was totally shocked.  I supplied him with literature so he was fully informed and we had a 2.5yr relationship.  We broke up for different reasons, totally unrelated to the virus.  It wasn't easy to tell him.  My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to expect.
I think I had made a few bad decisions re. men and getting the virus actually has made me much more choosey.  I have much more self-respect now.  I'm so proud of myself that I withstood a 3-year physical and mental challenge.  I endured so much that I feel I deserve someone lovely who will understand that I am not to blame.  It is unfortunate that I got this illness but rather this than so many others!
And I overcame it all.  I now take Lysine (100mg) and zinc(50mg) supplements daily, and sometimes take some Vit C but find that doses of 100mg regularly can actually bring on outbreaks or bring on thrush...
Take the opportunity the illness has given you to find somebody worth having in your life, instead of settling becasue you don't feel worth of the best.  I'm so glad I went through it all.  It's made me a better person- I discovered inner strength I may otherwise never have found.
It isn't the end of your life.  Be safe and respect others by allowing them to make their own decisions about the risk.  Most importantly respect yourself.  If you know your own body well enough and know when it's active, you can lead a normal life.
I hope those who are suffering find some relief like I have.  
that should read 1000mg of Lysine and 1000mg of Vit C :)
It does get better.  I felt exactly like you for the first couple of years.  Now I get an outbreak every 6months or so and it's only mild...  I felt totally depressed and constantly fatigued with it.  Now I only feel that way for a week or so around an outbreak.  I thought my body was never going to recover - but it did!  Don't lose faith.  I fought a massive abttle back to being positive, regained my self-esteem and the outbreaks slowed and eventually stpped being so painful etc...
Sorry you're having such a hard time.  I wanted counselling at the time too, and I think I could've benefitted from it, but I chickened out.  It's certainly worth a try.
Good luck x
You might want to cut down on your dosage since you take so many prescriptions? Or you all could try adding L-lysine naturally by beefing up on proteins! Plus! Extra for anyone who gets to see this! There are products that contain L-lysine compounds! Like Pantene Shampoos and Conditioners! *think bodywash/lotion  during an outbreak* Also! For OTCs cold sore aka lip treatment try: Lip Clear Lysine+ Cold Sore Treatment, it comes in a tube and chapstick!
REMEMBER!
If the OTCs for herpes do not contain Lysine in it's ingredients, you're wasting your time and $$$
I've had herpes going on 11 years! Taking L-lysine helped a lot! I've been down to 2 outbreaks a year (usually due to cold/virus)
Valtrex didn't work for me either and yes the newer version works much better! But in my state you can only get 2 prescriptions a year?!
Soo in the mean time I do all of the above! *great hair too!*
I recently ended a six year relationship because I was unhappy with the way my girlfriend was treating me. She had contracted genital herpes after a few months of us being together. Initially I was extremely worried that I had passed it on to her. I went and got tested but the tests came back negative. She was extremely traumatized through the whole ordeal and it took her a long time to get over it.

However, we broke up a few months ago and I meet up with a girl I had been in love with for a number of years - however past circumstances had kept us apart. This girl who is now my "girlfriend" has absolutely captivated me for a long time. She is so amazingly beautiful it is beyond belief. I am so in love with her and am certain this is the girl I want to marry. Anyway, we started getting very close a month ago and did everything but had sex. I wanted to make sure I had a check-up before we took the next step. So I went and got a check up and the results came back saying that I had HSV2. I was utterly devasted!!

In the meantime my new girlfriend and love of my life has been overseas for the past 6 weeks and returns home on Monday. I HAVE BEEN SO STRESSED it is driving me absolutely crazy. It is on my mind 24/7 and I cannot focus on work, study or engage in any conversation. My friends and family have noticed and I am finding it impossible to hide. I am certain I am falling into depression.
I Absolutely love sex (im an extremely sexual person) as is my girlfriend. I am fearing telling her and losing her soooo much it is insane.

I have recently suffered a bad back injury and this is preventing me from doing any physical activity with is also have a very negative effect on my mind. Because I the severe stress that I have been going through I am having outbreaks that have been lasting over three weeks now. I have been taking Lysine, propolis, Vit C and multivitamins but the outbreaks won't stop.

I feel like my life is ending. My dr tells me that we will be able to have unprotected sex when I don't have any symptoms.. But I am worried about this because I would never forgive myself if I passed this on to this wonderful woman. I don't want to spent my life having to use condoms but really can't see any other way.

I'm a 28 yr old healthy male with so much to give in life, I believe I have a genuine heart but feel I'm slipping so much.

I guess all I can do is wait till Monday but even tho I know this girl will support me at first I know it is going to play on both our subconscious and will eventually be detrimental to our relationship.

We are both experiencing true love but how long can this last with this absolute living hell of a disease.
I am in the pharmacy industry, private sector, and I believe the reason dr's don't like the herbal stuff is because it's not FDA approved so we don't really know if it's safe. I also take Lysine, but only when I feel a cold sore coming on. I don't take it as a profilactic. I totally believe in Lysine therapy :)
Has anyone purchased or read the Herpes Antidote guide book by Nathalie Foy? If yes, do u think it is worth purchasing?
i started taking lysine 2 weeks ago and it seems like i have a dry mouth and scratcy throat and chills at times
I would recommend taking 2 Cats Claw vitamins daily, 1 50mg L-Lysine, and its is up to you, but when you have the outbreak just for the first week try propolis.  I have been taking these since I had a coldsore and it has been forever since I last had one.  I wouldn't recommend propolis in a daily routine it mainly just gives the relief.  I do recommend Cats claw and L-lysine daily and when you feel the coldsore come on take 3 cats claw 3 times daily for 5 days straight and 2 llysine 2 times daily for 5 days, then it should be come within the first couple days and go back to the original dosage.
try a lower dose...
You can use Lysine for cat herpes.Most all cats carry it.My cat woke up with runny eyes everyday until now...
Hi, I am new here, I was specifically looking for information on L Lysine, and what I can combine it with. I started taking it Oct 2010. Prior to this i was taking Valtrex daily! I hated Valtrex and felt my chronic headaches and chronic stomach problems stemmed from it. It did! I truly believe that and since Oct 2010, I have not had any outbreaks!!! this is from a person who suffered greatly from the virus , constant outbreaks, like , monthly and painful ,mostly the onset, flu type symptoms, swollen glands, depression, fatigue, then pain! it would good all through my groin down my legs ...since I started the L Lysine 1000 mg a day usually in the morning with food , I have not had an outbreak only one onset and it was in an extremely stressful time and I was very run down and sick already. I have been reading everyone is saying they take it on an empty stomach? I think now i should try that and maybe take it at bedtime as I take a thyroid pill first thing when i wake up. Thanks for the discussion.
L-lysine and pregnancy

Hi, I have had genital herpes for years, managed to get pregnant at 41 thanks to a donated egg IVF and lost the baby at 5 weeks following a period of extreme stress and a herpes outbreak. I was off meds for the baby's sake but took Zelitrex/Aciclovir when I had the outbreak.
I suspect the meds or the herpes might have had something to do with the miscarriage. Now I am trying everything alternative to control this virus before I do a new donated egg IVF. So my question is how safe is L-Lysine when you're pregnant? It says on the bottle: do not take while pregnant unless recommended by a doctor. Which  is exactly the same as what it says for the tablets of Zelitrex. Very non-comittal.
Please help ! I don't know what to do.
Hi! I've had herpes since I was 16. I am now 31. I am happy to announce that lysine has been a blessing with no side effects. When I felt "the tingle" I would simply take a couple 500 mg tabs and that seemed to prevent the virus from progressing any further than a tingle. I am now in a committed relationship and I simply take 500mg a day to suppress it. I recently read that if one's uninfected partner also takes 500 mg of lysine it can strengthen their resistance to contracting it! How wonderful is that? Don't give up hope :) I'm generally very sensitive to synthetic meds. I have more problems with doctor prescribed meds than I ever did with supplements. Side effects of lysine are minimal. One should not combine lysine with certain antibiotics however. Drug interactions are dangerous. You can always call the poison control center and tell them of the meds you are taking. They will gladly tell you of any reported problems of the drug interactions. The poison control center is MUCH more reliable than asking a doctor or pharmacist, in my opinion. The pharmacists usually catch a doctors mistake of prescribing bad drug combinations, but not always. The poison control center has a large data base at their disposal and are just a phone call away. They are the most reliable source of accurate, unbiased, up-to- date information in my opinion :) hope this helps! Good luck to all of you : )
This is a wonderful forum, thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.  I have had self-diagnosed genital herpes for over 25 years. About 12 years ago a new lesion or sore appeared, from a sauna or hot tub possibly at a resort, on my upper right butt cheek.  At that time I consulted a doctor over the phone and he thought it might be ring worm, but it wasn't, as I later realized.  I think I discovered L-Lysine supplements about 5 or 6 years ago and it definitely works for me. I recently, however, stopped to see how long it would take to flare up because I'd read that you should take a break - but never have found definitive times regarding how long to stay on and how long to stay off.  What I did notice is that I have lost weight - particularly in the abdominal area, so I am glad to hear that probably is caused by lysine.  The last few days I've felt flu-ish so I took 1500 mg this morning on an empty stomach, just in case I'm getting a flare up.  I was taking 1500 a day for several months before this break and that's when I started to notice the tummy gain. After reading everyone's comments I think I'll step back to 500 a day.  

I also wanted to add that I have a nightshade food intolerance and it has almost the same symptoms.  Those foods are all peppers, tomatoes, eggplant and potatoes.  Tobacco is also a nightshade and I smoked for years until 2007, so may have created an intolerance over the years.  I stay away from all those foods ALWAYS.  Even a little paprika, which is in a lot of pre-made store-bought foods.  Just thought I'd mention it for those of you who have sensitivities or other medical problems.  I am also gluten intolerant : (.  but now with so many non-gluten products on the market I'm a happy cook again.  I used to have severe pain and strange outbreaks of postules on my hands from nightshade before I knew what it was.  Dermatologists were useless and so were chiropractors (although I use chiropractic help when I have strained or pulled something).

I also try very hard to avoid the high argenine foods like chocolat and almonds. Here's a good site for nutritional advice for herpes: http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/diet_and_nutrition_with_herpes.htm

Thank God for the internet!
Hi Molly,
i had a small scratch on my cheek that only mildly worried me at the time untill it spread across my whole face .... it looked like small pimples.

i went to the dr when it first started and looked like a scratch and was told it was skin infection and given antibiotics... anyway it got worse very quickly and within weeks it heavily spread across my whole face.
After several visits to the dr and then onto the dermotologist it was diagnosed as herpes :-(
i now have valtrex on hand incase of outbreaks. i have had several small breakouts on my cheek since. herpes more easily infects broken skin so any one with eczema is at risk. I really cant afford the $150 price tag of valtrex so going to try lysine. Its so embarrassing to have it all over my face! so i can sympathise with you!
No insurance, no problem! STD treatment is covered by public health. You can go to your local Health Department STD clinic for free, talk to a professional, and get medicine for free or very low cost (mine was $5/bottle of acyclovir).

I realize it's now 2 years since you've posted this but this is info that anyone can use, anytime! I'm so glad that there's a forum like this to communicate honestly and anonymously about this sensitive issue!
David, when someone loves you, they LOVE YOU. Like you, I was devastated when I was diagnosed with genital herpes nine years ago. But I have had several serious relationships since then. It was not easy to tell them about it but I did (there is no other way - do them the favor of telling them the truth), and because they loved me, they accepted it. Only one potential partner decided that he wasn't willing to take the risk, but we had only dated a couple weeks and clearly that relationship was not meant to be. Having herpes has changed my behavior towards casual sex, but that seems to be for the best. Please know that you're not alone! This IS very stressful, but it mellows out over time. If you and your girlfriend are truly in love, take the risk, have the talk, and I think you'll be surprised by the support that she'll give you. Your sex life might be different than before but it is FAR from over!!!
how many mg of lysine are you taking a day? I keep having what my doctors call contact dermatitis and I am not sue if it is herpes or not so i started to  take lysine. I got a culture done and it came back negative so I don't know because it keeps happening and I take 1000 a day and this is still happening I just am scared. Their seems to be no clear cut symptoms I don't have and aches or fever but I have one blister and I have had it for 2 weeks I got it while taking lysine so maybe I take to much or its not that at all. I am going to go get a blood test but Ia m not sure what kind to ask for.
Hi I don't know if anyone is still posting on here about for the past 6 months I have been having contact dermatist I went to the first dr and she said it was herpes and well I started taking the pills she gave me and it didn't help my dads a chiroprator and said I had allergies he didn't see the sores just check my viral reflex and nothing showed up so I started on lysine I take 1000mg a day he said more than that isn't good for you but I keep having my contact dermatitis and I went to a health care provider and she said it was contact to and swobed it for a culture and nothing grew at the lab so nothing showed up. I went swiming and got it again the next day I think I am alergic (allergic) to spandex took benadryl and it was gone in 5 days well I have had this bimp for like 2 weeks and its not gone so Monday I am going for blood work I don't have any symptoms other than this bump it just came I didn't feel any itching like with the dermatitis just am scared and this keeps happening so I switched to cotton underwar hypoalerginic laundry detergent and ivory sop and I am still on lysine the other pills didn't won't acylovir so I don't know just confused by the sites
Carson, I can't follow what you are posting, but it sounds to me like one bump is not herpes 1 or 2.  I haven't seen a genital herpes breakout in person, but the cold sores start as a group of small blisters that itch and tingle quite a bit at first, then they burn and hurt.  I have seen Shingles (Herpes Zoster) when they are new, and they too looked like small blisters - just like the cold sores. I can only assume that the genital herpes looks the same way when it starts; like a group of small blisters.  If you do a google image search on "herpes" you should get an idea of what the blisters look like.
thanks
yeah it didn't tingle at all and it wasn't group they prescribed me an antibiotic which made me sicker because I was allergic to it it made my head hurt and a rash all over my boody like when I am allergic to my fabric softner  my dad said I am lucky because it started to make my brain swell so I stopped taking the anitbiotic and everything got better
There are so many comments on here i dont know where to start... but here goes.... I take anything from 7-11 x 1000mg of L-lysine every day to avoid reoccuring of cold sores but I still get them from time to time but find that it limits the outbreak.... does anyone know what foods trigger cold sores. AJ
Foods high in the Amino Acid L-Arginine can trigger an outbreak, and should be limited for that reason.  

I just grabbed this from the internet:
L-arginine is found in high content in protein rich foods such as peanuts, walnuts, brazilnuts, cocunut, animal products (milk and milk products, pork, beef, chicken, turkey), seafoods, cereals (oats and wheat), and chocolate. Legumes such as soybean and chickpea are also rich natural sources of L-arginine.
Source:
http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/amino-acids/l-arginine.php
Hiya, i am also suffering from genital herpes HSV-2 and can someone tell me what to do with oil of oregano ? and what exactly is lemon balm and what do you do with it

thanks everyone
Yes there is a link!
I am one of those people that get herpes closer to my hip. I went through a period where I was stressed out and having outbreaks all the time and the Acyclovir alone didn't seem to work, so I went crazy with researching the causes. Guess what.There is a diet link to outbreaks and it is high Argenine foods of which I was eating a lot. Most diets and weight loss fads promote diets high in Argenine and I was all over it.
I finally learned about "Lysine VS Argenine"which is how you should do your web search. I have changed the way I eat. Unfortunately it is  counter intuitive to todays ideas about health.
For example I was crazy about hummus dip and garbanzo beans. Not any more. You have to do your own research but its kind of like this.
No seed's, nuts, or beans grown above the ground. Beans grown underground are good (pintos, white beans, kidneys, etc) All grains are on the boarder but I am limiting. Veggies are tricky too. Kale good, Broccoli bad.
All meat, cheese and eggs good. This whole thing is almost like the Atkins diet and it would be almost impossible to be Vegan which is where I was heading before I figured this out so good luck and hopefully you can find some good info.
I bought a book called LYSINE VS ARGENINE a food value comparison and unfortunately the food list (the foods I like to eat) is not as comprehensive as I would have liked but it gave me some guidelines. ( the fact that I can eat Squirrel, Muskrat and Beaver is not the info I was after).
I am still looking for a really, really comprehensive food list so if anyone reads this and knows of one, let me know.
By the way I have gotten it under control but I also supplement with L Lysine capsules daily so I dont get so nervous about what I eat throughout the day. If I were to eat chocolate for example, I may pop an extra capsule which is the form I prefer over tablet form.
I was just reading up on Lysine today and read this: A study led by Miro Smriga and published in the December 23, 2003, edition of the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences" found that L-lysine acts like a partial serotonin receptor antagonist, regulating some aspects of mood related to anxiety.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/257563-l-lysine-deficiency-serotonin/#ixzz20KwVXvrb

Now my question after reading this was... I've been taking Lysine 500mg to 1000+mg almost daily for over 25 years... has this practice disrupted my Serotonin level to the point that if I stop taking the Lysine the Serotonin will not be sufficient to do it's job properly? I have been diagnosed as chronic depressive and have bouts of anxiety and PTSD... anti-depressants that have been given to me in the past did nothing except make me feel worse... so, I'm wondering if this is damage caused by the Lysine OR damage done by having too little Serotonin... anyone care to venture a guess? Thanks...
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and feedback!!! Over 15 years ago, I thought I hit a brick wall after being diagnosed with herpes and was partially paralyzed from having to take an overload of acyclovir. That med worked for a while, but the virus was vigorously attacking all the time. At first, the virus attacked my central nervous system causing unspeakable pain everywhere that caused me to go to the ER.

Then after a long time, with God's help, I calmed down, realized that I have to change my life, and with his help, he washed my spirit clean. The virus seemed to go into remission with only minor occurrences for years. With high stress, it comes back and has a lot recently.

I too found that Valtrex isn't working like it used to and I just don't like the thought of having to take it for life. I have been changing my diet and removing arginine rich foods, just started L-Lysine, about 1,000 total mg a day.

After two days, I experienced bleeding and spotting so I stopped because it is not time for my mens. cycle and the supplement was the only new thing to my diet. I saw a few comments on other boards asking the same thing about bleeding. Has anyone experienced this? I appreciate any feedback on this you can give. I will see my gyn this week, and consider finding an ND for guidance.

Thanks & God Bless, Nina
I just started taking lysine a week ago and have noticed my joints having some aching. My left wrist and left ankle have a dull pain. I'm not saying it's 100% due to lysine as it might be from injury (carpal tunnel?) or twisted ankle. Will update later.
Hi there, I totally understand wanting to get off all the unnecessary medications. I spent a year and a half getting off a lot of meds. The herpes antiviral is so harsh. I have liver damage from all the meds and this one does a number on me. I started going to community acupuncture and seeing a Chinese doctor as well as a north american herbalist. I have endometriosis and this year horrible herpes outbreaks that have spread into my cervix. The Chinese medicines and acupuncture are pretty effective but can be pricey depending on where you go. The tincture form the American herbalist is called Lemon Balm. I'ts mix in medicinal form with alcohol and put under the tongue twice a day. I think you can maybe buy it online? It works well. Hope that helps!
Also the info regarding the amount of L-lysine to take is inconsistent. It seems to range from 1,000mg - 9,000mg depending on outbreak cycle. Take on empty stomach throughout day. Eat less foods that contain L-ARGININE. Google search L-arginine and herpes and there is lots of info. Monolaurin is another immune system booster that is supposed to help. I have been taking it for a couple weeks. It doesnt seem to do anything.

Link about Lemon Balm and Herpes:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/105847-use-lemon-balm-herpes/

Link for Lemon Balm to buy online:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-14265-herb-pharm-lemon-balm-1-oz?utm_source=amazonpa&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=HerbPharm-LemonBalm-1oz.&utm_content=63379&utm_campaign=amazonpa&site=www.amazonproductads.com&mr:trackingCode=93381444-F00B-E111-AC9E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA&
I'm not sure if this has been stated here, but I wanted to say that tho it isn't for everyday use, if you DO get an outbreak on your lip or even genital, something that will almost immediately help is to brew a VERY strong cup of black tea and either use the tea bag or soak a paper towel in the tea and place it on the spot.  The tannins will actually help the sores stop hurting and will dry them up.  Can be done several times a day.
Thanks for the info.
I've had HSV 2 for the last 10 years. After the first year, I hardly ever had an outbreak (2-3 x a year). They were very mild. I wasn't even getting the blisters. It would sting for s couple of days in a tiny area like a papercut. I've recently started having outbreaks to the point where they are ALWAYS there. Just when I start to get relief, there it is, another patch of blisters. Blisters! Lots of them. I'm so beside myself. I've taken Valtrex, acyclovir, valcyclovir, and I just started famciclovir today.
What is going on with me? Why after 10 years has my herpes taken over my genital region?
I've started the lysine today, as well. I'm not sure how much to take? Help me, please.
Thanks for your detailed helpful information (like useless expensive drugs). I get cold sores (herpes simplex) on the lips and buttocks, which seem to be nipped in the bud by Trilex capsules with L-lysine. I also use L-lysine ointments. Recently I was shocked to get shingles (herpes zoster) and am taking 1000 mg L-lysine morning and evening (large pill dissolved for several hours in fruit juice).  The night I forgot the L-lysine, my pain happened to be much worse, so I'm keeping on with it, and have had no noticeable side effects. Thanks to everyone for the great support.
Viewing 1-200 comments: