Nutrition Community
Sugar addiction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Sugar addiction

I am just wondering if it is possible to be addicted to sugar.  My diet consists mostly of carbohydrates and I feel like I need that sugar rush all day long.  It's like I get irritated or I have headaches if I don't drink enough soda or eat carbs or sweets.  Is this normal?  I've had my sugar levels checked before and they are nomal.
They have no long staying power so once you start eating that stuff you continuously need to refuel.  Try removing it from your diet slowly.  Replace the sugar w/ fruit or yogurt.  Apples work good.  Sugar is so bad for our bodies...try eating small balanced meals/snacks until your body gets over its addiction.  Like a protein/carb/good fat all in one meal.  Whole grains take longer to digest and will keep your body feeling full longer...try those for your carbs...good luck
I've run into the same issue.  Sadly I think it is due to my upbringing on Frosted Flakes and pancakes.  Jifnif is right, reduce your intake slowly or you will get withdrawal symptoms.  It is not easy to stop because refined sugars seem to be in everything, and usually it is so much more satisfying to eat a candy bar than a piece of fruit.  But your body will thank you for it if you choose healthy natural sugars.
I screamed when I read your thread!  Since childhood, I have been a sugar junkie.  We, too, were raised with pancakes, etc.  My mom made us all ice cream floats, cookie, or brownies as rewards or for family "fun."  So now I wonder if I associate these foods with comfort and pampering.  Anyway, studies have shown that this addiction is much like drug addiction.  It has to do with the number of serotonin receptors in our brain.  Since this neurotransmitter is associated with pleasure, you can imagine the havoc we are wreaking on ourselves.  You actually need to withdraw from those foods so that the number of your receptors will change.  I think carbs are more effective at altering the number of receptors.  During Lent, I give up all of those goodies.  It drives me nuts during the first week, but becomes easier as time goes on.  You should Google this topic.
I'm a bad sugar addict, I eat nothing but sweets all day long for days at a time, no protein etc. , I need help, where can I get help, there's no detox for sugar addiction.
Keep adding protein here and there and that will slow it down gradually. You need to eat enough food but the right kind. Don't starve yourself or you will resort to sugar. I can relate!