Nutrition Community
Time-Release/Slow-Release

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Time-Release/Slow-Release

I am working on a project and am wondering if consumers understand the concept of "time-release" and "slow-release". Any input would be very helpful. Thank you!
Don't know what you're working on.  Time release is slow release.  When I managed health food stores the saying about time release was, expensive urine or bowel movements, since the body evacuates before the stuff comes out of the capsule.  There's a project for you
Without going and checking on the web I'll give you my understanding :). I haven't heard of time release, but slow release I understand to be high in fibre; foods that release their nutrients into the digestive system rather than straight to the  exit regions.

So foods that benefit your body, rather than over-processed fast foods. Maybe the name "fast food" refers to how fast they go through your body rather than how quick you get served
Wow.  Interesting.  But I think backwards.  Food high in fiber leave the body more quickly, as the fiber helps them get digested.  Fast food is usually high in fat and protein, which get digested more slowly.  But slow release and time release refer to a type of capsule that medication or supplements are packed in that dissolves slowly so everything in it isn't released all at once.  And as I said, since the body digests at its own speed, most of this will never come out in the body at all as it will have been evacuated.
Share What Diabetes Topics Matter to You — $50 Gift Card!
Start by taking this 1-2 minute survey on diabetes information and advice that will help us make MedHelp more valuable to you.

If we’d like to interview you, we’ll reach out via e-mail. Those selected will receive a $50 Amazon gift card for their participation.
Eliminate This ONE Ingredient and W...
Jun 25 by gymdandee
Tatisss uploaded new photos
Jun 24
MH Community Mgr uploaded a new photo
Jun 24
Track your weight over time