Nutrition Community
Vitamin D Deficiency and B12 Deficiency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

Vitamin D Deficiency and B12 Deficiency

Does anyone know what causes severe B12 deficiency and vitamin d deficiency?  I am starting 50,000 IU tomorrow (twice a week) and I will start the B 12 shots (twice a week) for probably the rest of my life.  I have been really sick and have some other symptoms that I have had a lot of trouble addressing.  i have an unexplained fever and Blood Pressure that goes really high(180/120) and then drops really low (90/50).  It only does this for about 15-20 minutes and it is random, but usually every day, multiple times a day.  I have NEVER had high blood pressure before, but it seems to be unexplained.  I also have a VERY rapid pulse of 150.  It is always at least 100 even when I am laying down or doing nothing.  I am having blood work to test for hormone probs, but i just wondered what different things can cause these 2 vitamin deficiencies as I don't believe they both just happened randomly.  Can anyone help?  I am desperate...
    Whenever your body is dealing with a severe health problem and stress, you can have significant vitamin deficiencies, so a great number of things could be the cause of your deficiency.
It is good that you are having tests done for hormonal problems.

My mother has been experiencing "yo-yo" blood pressure, similar to yours for over a year.
She recently did an MRI of her adrenal glands, and a very small "mass" or lesion (3mm) was found on one gland. After some internet research, I believe this is the cause of her extreme blood pressure ups and downs.
You should think about having your doctor examine your adrenal function if no other cause is readily found.

Good luck to you.

Enzy
I have both B-12 and D defiency`s severe too. My D is currently 6. I have crohn`s disease and ankylosing spondylitis.  
I also have a severe Vitamin D defiency and also B12 defiency, phospherous defieciency and Vitamin C deficiency.  I have malabsorbtive issues and some how my body does not convet D from the sun that well.  I take 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 daily.  This is available over the counter.  The prescription of vitamin D ergocalciferol is oil based and hard for the body to absorb.  Also too when you go out in he sun make sure the your shadow is less tan your body length and do not wear sun screen as it will block the bodies natural process.  Also too going to a tanning salon and using low level  UVA tanning beds ca be helpful as well.  If you do gout in the sun do not shower for at lest 24 hours as by doing so you will wash off the process of the skin converting the sun and oils on th skin to make Vitamin D so it would be like a waste of time of being in the sun,  You can wash the private areas and under arms if need be but that is it with the soap areas.  
I am in the middle of seeing an endocrinologist whom will see if there are anyother underlying causes for tehmalabsorbitive issues other than the gastric bypass surgery I had 5 years ago.
Also too have you calcium levels checked with a Vitamin D deficiency you an not absorb calcium very well.
Hope this helps.
Also a good reputable source for moreinfrmation on Vitamin D goto http://www.vitamindcouncil.org the web director is avitamin d expert and also confers with experts i the feild as well.
I have also very low potassium and sodium and magnezium levls.  D and B12 are below the scales.  I have Lupus and Diabetes.  I feel like i haveth flu all the time, muscles and bones, severly ache.  I'm now having halucinations and hearing things.  My throat closes up until I can't breath.  I am seeing a Dr.  Is Vitamin D deficient an autoimmune disease?
I get fever blisters from the sun, can taking too much vit d also cause them?
I am going through the exact same thing. Have you had your SED rate checked? Mine is high. My adrenal glands seem to be working TO well.  Do you have endometriosis? My doctor mentioned that she sees a lot of women with our same problems that have endo and it may be linked. At this point I have a diagnosis of vitamin b12 & d deficiency, Orthostatic hypotension, tachycardia, fever. I am starting these supplements tomorrow and we will recheck my bloodwork to see if my vitamins go up and my sed rate go down. If my sed rate doesnt go down I will have a CT of my adrenals and a biopsy of my lymph nodes in my armpit (that swell from time to time) to check for cancer.

I am currently taking vitamin d & b12 supplements and fludrocortisone (to raise my blood pressure and help me retain salt and fluid), salt tabs (5mg/day for the same reason)

If you find out anything or would like to ask me any questions (as I have had MANY tests and dealing with this for over a year) e-mail me at ***@****
Have you checked your hearing to make sure you don't have Tinnitus?
It's usually a cause for hearing noise, especially when you are in quiet environments.

Ross
could it b possible that vit d defiency is secondary to, caused by b12 defiency. Poss caused originally by helicobactor pylori bacteria or the parasite gardiasis?
There is now overwhelming evidence that vitamin D deficiency can cause or contribute to many different diseases and health issues. Get your Vitamin D optimized FIRST and see what improves as a result before you start worrying about what else could be wrong.

Vitamin D blood level should be AT LEAST 50 ng/ml according to latest research. You can bring your blood level up yourself by taking 10,000 IU of oral D3 per day (available OTC). You don't need a doctor for this, but getting a blood test after about 12 mos. would be a good idea. Once you are above 50 ng/ml and feeling better (it could take a year if your D is very low), you can then drop back to 8,000 IU per day. Do-it-yourself blood test kits are available from several websites for around $75. I think the Vitamin D Council still offers this service. Check their website.

I speak from experience. I took 10,000 IU per day for over a year for musculoskeletal pain, lack of stability, poor balance, exhaustion, etc. My vitamin D blood level is now 74 ng/ml, and all pain is gone. I feel better than I did 30 years ago, and I did it on my own without the "help" of any doctors.

You should also try to get out in the sun for a half hour a day between 10am and 2pm WITHOUT SUNSCREEN. In fact, throw your sunscreen in the trash. Your body doesn't need those chemicals leaching into your bloodstream through your skin. They do more harm than good. If you're going to be in the sun all day, cover up instead.

Don't worry about toxicity. That whole idea that vitamin D is toxic is hogwash, and I've actually been told as much by my very savvy DO. You will NOT reach toxicity on 10,000 IU per day. It takes far higher amounts to reach toxicity. You will NOT reach toxicity by sitting in the sun with your skin exposed. Every living thing needs sunlight in order to thrive, and human beings are no exception.  
To answer your question, no. The body needs B-complex vitamins (which can easily be obtained from eating red meat), but a lack thereof doesn't necessarily cause vitamin D deficiency. Do some research and you'll see that Vitamin D isn't really a vitamin at all. It does, however, play a role in the proper functioning of almost every system within the body.
I have B12 and D deficiency after three years of mold exposure.  
I have been terribly weak and sick all of the time. They found cyst in my uterus and one on my kidney so I. Had a hysterectomy  but still feel like. Carp everyday..no no no energy and could sleep 24/7 I just went to a neurologist bc the sight in my left eye was crazy and dizziness a nd forgetting simple things ...they called today and said I had extremely low b12 levels and vitamin d.  Also I had breast implants put in back in 2009 and one or both seem to be ruptured and they r silicone.  I am on the path to find out what is wrong with me but I am not living now...just exsisting for my 3 girls.....no doctor can figure my issues .out and my husband is ready to give up on me saying that nothing is wrong with me that it is just in my head.... and I know it's not bc I am not the same person i was ten years ago I had all kinds of energy....any advice would be great.