Nutrition Community
breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

breastfeeding

Worried about dieting while breastfeeding what should I do or what kind of diet should I consider
You should always continue to take your prenatal vitamins, as they will assure that you are supplying all of the necessary vitamins and minerals to your baby. The best way to get your adequate nutrition, is to eat a variety of foods from each of the food groups. Staying hydrated is also important and includes drinking six to eight cups of water, juice or milk per day.  I suggest no caffeine!
According to "The Breastfeeding Book" by Martha Sears, R.N and William Sears, M.D., the best way to lose weight is not necessarily by cutting calories. Sears and Sears recommend altering your diet to include nutrient dense foods. These foods are those that contain large amounts of nutrition in a small amount of calories like fruits, vegetables and whole grains. You should also decrease fat in your diet by eating low fat or no fat versions of foods like low fat yogurt or skim milk. Finally, try filling up with fiber. Fiber can satiate you without a lot of calories and usually high fiber foods are also high in nutrition.

When you are trying to lose weight exercise is a must. Regular exercise can help improve your mood and increase your health. Just 30 minutes per day of some activity is a good way to start. You can take a brisk walk with the baby.

f you are looking to lose your baby weight, diet and exercise are the only way to do it. Most weight loss programs that leave you hungry and inactive are not effective in the long term. La Leche League International warns that drastic, fast drops in weight loss can negatively affect your milk supply. Certain diets, like those that increase protein and limit carbohydrates, can be harmful because of contaminants that may enter your milk supply due to your changing metabolism. Always aim for a safe weight loss of about one pound per week, incorporating both nutrition and exercise into your program.
Check with your doctor first!!
Personally, this isn't something I'd ask on a website -- I'd talk to a nutritionist or medical expert when you're talking about an infant's health, and I'd read the kind of books recommended above but also realize that much of the information you're going to hear about diet and breastfeeding is paid for by the dairy industry and other food industries, so you have to be very discerning on this subject.
That's why you "Check with your doctor first!!"
But a doctor isn't the medical professional always to talk to first -- on the question of breastfeeding, they've been pretty awful historically.  You want to talk to the right doctor or medical professional, not just "your" doctor.  Not too long ago doctors were trained to tell you not to breastfeed, and still often do in many countries and even still in the US because that's what Nestles teaches them.  You do have to be choosy on this.
Which reminds me, there is a group called Le Leche league that focuses on breastfeeding dating from when doctors were telling women not to do it.  Maybe they can be helpful.
"Which reminds me, there is a group called Le Leche league"
The league I mentioned in my post!
Right you are!  Well, you know, two heads are better than none.
I think this is the first time you EVER agreed with me :>)
Oh, pshaw.  When I agree with you I don't say anything.  Nothing needs to be said if you've already said it.  I agree with most of what you say, actually.
Wow, you poor thing with quite the reaction.  So if you're thinking about "dieting" when nursing it's probably the wrong thinking. What I'd say is try to eat balanced and healthy - make your calories count! Salads loaded with black beans, edemame, chicken, egg or some cheese will give you a lot of good protein but still can be healthy. Load up on fruits and veggies! You can watch what you eat but make sure you're eating enough for both you and your little one!!! I found that for the first 1-2 months I was starving all the time but after that I was able to really back down  and my appetite normalized.  and congrats Momma!!!
My God, some basic common sense on this forum -- what are you thinking?