Nutrition Community
egg whites and protein

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

egg whites and protein

I have been trying to find good ways to get protein in the morning because it keeps me content for hours and it gives me all the energy I need. But I want to do it with less fat and cholestorol. Will using egg whites only be a good way to go? Does anyone have any other suggestions?
A variety of foods is better than eating just one all the time.  Egg whites do contain protein, but so does a host of foods.  Nuts, though high in fat, are actually quite heart healthy and very high in protein.  Beans are another good source of protein.  All animal food is high in protein, with fish being high in fat but good fat.  You have a lot of choices.  It's not the amount of fat that's important, since most protein foods contain fat, it's the kind of fat and the variety in the diet -- eating a lot of vegetables, for example, provides the antioxidants that help prevent fat from being a problem.  
Right. All those options sound good for other meals, but I'm trying to find other protein options for breakfast. I find when I eat a boiled eggs or fried eggs I am full until around 1 or 2. But when I eat fruit, oatmeal or anything else, I get hungry again about two hours later. So by lunch I'm starving.
Actually, the idea of this food for breakfast and that food for lunch is an American advertising thing.  Most people around the world eat pretty much the same staples at each meal.  In England, kippers -- fish -- is a breakfast staple.  In most countries, beans are the main source of protein morning, noon, and night.  You're in a rut, that's all, but if it works for you, then stick with it.  But if you eat oatmeal in the morning, add some nuts.  When I eat cereal for my first meal, I add nuts after for some protein.  Doesn't matter to me if it's the first meal of the day.  That's just habit.  You're free to eat whatever whenever.  Eggs are fine, but too many isn't.  And if you do get hungry later, eat again.  Small meals through the day is healthier than stuffing oneself, anyway, though for me, I'm a two meal a day guy.  We each have to find what works for us.  Good luck.
Thanks, I will try the nuts idea. I appreciate the help.