Nutrition Community
hungry right after eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

hungry right after eating

I have been noticing lately that I'm hungry all of the time, even right after i eat.  I am 5'10 and I weigh between 116 and 125 (it fluctuates). and am 19 yrs old. I eat all of the time and have been this way most of my life, but here lately I am even hungry after I eat.  I will feel my stomach being so full I cant eat anything and still feel as hungry as I did before I started eating. I also have noticed that the glands that are on my neck have been swollen for over a month.  I am active but I do not exercise regularly so I don't know what happens to all of the food I eat.  I took birth control for two years and then stopped taking it and havent had my period for almost a year.  I thought that maybe I might have a hormone inbalace and that that might contribute to my weird eating habits and lack of ability to gain weight. I have been experiencing weird leg twitches, they are small but theres usually ten spots twitching at once, also I've had a rash on my knee, its not irritated though. Sometimes I will experience diarrhea for almost a week.  I am not worried about gaining weight but I want to make sure that these aren't symptoms of something more serious.  My friend suggested hyperthyroidism but I'm not irritable at all and am quite relaxed at all time. I have low blood pressue (Avg. 102/50), and a average heart rate of about 50-60.  I donate plasma at a biolife clinic as well so I always know my health statis.  If anyone can help me that would be great cause doctors make me really nervous and I only want to go if I have to. Suggestions would be swell to.
The sensation of being hungry is controlled in the brain by the Hypothalamus. The Thyroid controls this reflex.  If you are having problems with hunger, then you should get the Thyroid checked out.  Ask your doctor for a Thyroid Cascade test along with the T-3/T-4 test.  This is a very sensitive test and will show very low levels of Thyroid hormone imbalance.  You may also ask your doctor to order a Thyroid ultrasound exam to check out cysts.  Most people do have cysts and are just fine, but some people have them and they are causing hormone imbalance.  Ultrasound is the best test for this.  Giving blood is a wonderful thing, but is not a measure of good health.  Get checked out, these are simple and painless tests.
A good complete physical with some blood and urine tests may get to the source of your problem.

Being hungry all the time can certianly be from a thyroid condition as already stated but other conditions can also cause excessive hunger so a physical would be your best bet.

When you go to see your doctor be sure to bring a list of questions and concerns you may have so you do not forget anything while you are there.

if ur hungry right after u eat just have lots of water instead of keeping eating
Please visit the following site for the most effective diets available.

http://www.perfectdi8.com

The webpage lists the best and the most effective diet sources.
Everyone will read that I preach about organic food/ all natural food. Ever since I started eating this type of food, I don't get that hungry feeling all the time. When I do have an off day, and eat some 'normal' food, I keep eating cause I don't feel full. Ever since I stopped all the artifical/preservatives I have felt much better; some people agree and some say it's in my head...it's kinda difficult to stay on only that type of food, but it helps me. Good luck to you
For the passed year my cousin has had some strange symptoms.  Weight loss, pain and twitching of the legs and shakiness and being tired.  She went through MRI after MRI and MRI and many exams from different doctors.  Finally the doctors were able to diagnos her.  She found out last week she had Graves Disease.  This was discovered after they did a test were they give her radiation do a scan and come back the next day to get scanned again.  Her neck gland areas are swallon.  The doctor said she caught it at the begining stages and it can be treated.  Turns out that other symptoms she has not expierenced have been buldging of the eyes and hair loss.  There are ways to treat it my great grandfather had it and he lived till he was in his late 80's.  When you see your doctor if this issue has not been solved you might suggest he test you for these things.
i have been hungry after i eat as well... every time i eat.... and sometimes i get this pain in the middle of my chest.. I don't know if it is gas or what but i would like it to stop. what are the possible conditions when that happens?
Quite possibly you are not receiving the proper nutrients from the foods you are consuming. One way we have found to battle this is by taking a whole food supplement like body balance. It contains nutrients that we no longer receive from everyday foods, one reason being from soil depletion. Anyways if you would like more info. go to http://lifeforce.net/ProductsSingleDetail.aspx?country=USA if you decide you would like to order my ID # is 20635296 and if you set up an autoship. you could receive your first bottle for only the cost of shipping.  Plus it also helps keep your immune system working good. My husband used to be sick 3/4 of the year he started taking it and now does not catch anything.

Hope this helps
I am nausea's the majority of the time and vomit enough to need to go to hosp. To be re-hydrated every 4 wks.  Now, I feel ravenously hungry even right after I eat?  I'm SOOO tired of being sick and telling my kids that I am AGAIN!
My ears are always feeling fillled with pressure like I'm  in a plane?
For those who may not be aware one of the symptoms of Acid-Gastric Issues is a feeling of hunger after you eat. GERD is more common and especially if you are feeling the pains in the upper stomach area around the diaphram then this is very likely Acid Reflux or a Gastric Ulcer. Check with your doctor and do not rely on advice on forums like this to treat it. If your doctor cant find out what it is with urine/blood tests and stool samples then find another doctor...
I had no idea feeling hungry could be a symptom of acid reflux. My acid reflux is caused by medications and while I am under treatment for it, I am still hungry ALL the time, it's ridiculous. I am hungry WHILE I'm eating and after I'm done even though there's not much room in my stomach for additional food (I don't eat until I'm full, but I eat the right portions). Anyways, thank you for the input! I have been wondering about this hunger issue for some time now!
Well for me I began feeling the same way after a meal.  Usually one bowl full turns into 2 and I think about the third one even though I am stuffed. I swore off all artificial ingredients and it didn't change any.  But wondered if food preservates triggered this problem in the first place.  Then by chance I began using Organic Agave sweetener in my cereal each morning and this problem actually stopped itself!!!!  It is worth a try to see if you can get it fixed.  I never read about any benifits on agave like this before, but thought I would share.
If you are 5 ft 10 inches tall and only 116 lbs. you are deathly underweight!  Your weight should be at LEAST 150 to be considered healthy.  I would take a look at your emotional/mental health as well as all the physical problems you may be having.
i'm 5'5 and only 105 pounds and im 18 years old. last year my doctor found a huge cysit on my thyroid. that was causing all of my mood swings, the fact that i cant gain weight easily, how i was tired all the time. to this day i still have it. and it sometimes still makes me hungry even after i just ate.

oh and the period thing is probably normal. i've been on bc for a year and 4 months ago i stopped it and i havent had my period since. ive constantly felt like ive been PMSing too. i talked to my doctor and she said it was probably just my body getting used to less hormons. but you should still talk to your doctor.
I get this. I sometimes go to bed feeling hungry even though i have eaten enough. Ive tried eating more but i cant other wise i will put on weight. I eat enough, maybe even more than i should sometimes.

The thing about this is that the feeling does improve with food, but i would be having to eat constantly like eat something every two hours.

When you eat too much, you feel sick, dont you? This is the opposite. I feel hungry all the time. Im not sure whether this is the same. But i thought it might help. Ive had it for like five years, but it has got worse in the last two years. Its horrible.
hi guys i am feeling the same way, ive been feeling weird whenever i eat a full meal then after 2-3hours i feel starving again. i stop working out for a few months, and then now trying to recover my shape back. once in a while, i am feeling bad stomach pains so i thought that its just diarrhea. im scared that there is something wrong with me? any advise>?

thank you.
rOB
Well I feel hungry right after I eat and it's only been for Maybe a week or so but it's really making me mad
I have recently decided to increase my exercise shedule. I run in the mornings on a empty stomach, eat a good breakfast healthy snack good lunch then weight train. But all of this time i'm constantly fighting hunger pangs. I choose healthy carbs and proteins and also drink plenty of water.

Any help?

Is it just my body reacting to a new schedule?
Hi I'm 19 5 feet 103 to 105lbs. I feel hungry all the time. I eat alot and don't gain anything. I use to be 148lbs two years ago and got sick one month and loss 30 lbs and have never gained it back. I drink tons of water and fiber. I eat healthy and exercise. I'm not despressed and not on any meds. I have had every throid test and everything comes back normal. I'm not on birthcontrol anymore cause of estrogen and it caused bad mirgines and every heavy bleeding to the point of hosiptalization.
Is my body just being difficult or could there be something wrong?
i have this problem too. so when i feel hungry right after i eat, i just drink a lot of water. it really helps! boom! the hunger is gone!
I do the same thing, after I eat and while I'm eating I still feel that tinge of hunger not to mention I always burp right after everthing I eat and am only allowed to drink water which I burp after drinking water too. my Dr. did a blood test for Tyroid and ulcer but came back ok, then I went to an natural path she said by what I was telling her its sounds like an ulcer, yet this all seems to fit the GERD or Acid reflux too! she gave me PEPLIC and RF PLUS to take, I just started it and pray it works! I have anxiety so it causes me to worry more which then causes the symptoms to worsen! but good to know others are having this problem, it would be nice though if I could finaly take something that would "kick it out" and never have this problem again...or ANY other problem again, this is scarey! If this works for me.. I will come back here to tell you guys if  that Herbal combination helped or not... ; )
Hello, I just wanted to say, that I have a daughter that is 18, she is 5' tall and weighs 89lbs, We have spent so much time and money taking her from doctor to doctor, specialist, you name it we were in an office, she cant eat because of the texture of the food, when she does eat, its beef, or chicken, thats it. We have had every test imaginable, and then some. no doctor has found a cause for this. Her anger is off the charts, she can be happy one minute, and pissed off in 2 sec. I am at my wits end, this has been going on since she was 6 years old, we have went from one state to the other trying to find a doctor who might find a reason, but no, I dont think that exist any more, and now all, its become the "norm" to just treat the symptoms!! I cant understand this, why treat a symptom?? find the cause and be done with it for good, stop putting meds that cause all these side effects, she was on so much meds for her symptoms, finally we had enough, she has gotten to the point she never wants to go to the doctor, even for her check up's. Its heart breaking because she loves food, and can't eat what she love's. I know that her body is suffering, and so is her brain, and for the life of it, I can't seem to find a doctor that acually gives a damn. Good luck to any one going through this, its a long scary, hard, depressing, frustrating road.
My daughter was loosing a lot of weight (50lbs in 2 months) and was very irritable and angry as you describe. She asked for help because she told us she could not eat. We took her to a Psychologist who specializes in Eating Disorders and admitted her to an Eating Disorders Program. Once she started getting the nutrition she needed her moods and anger improved.  She is doing very well and not angry anymore.  You may want to consider consulting with an Eating Disorder Psychologist.
Have you been checked for stomach ulcers?
If you are experiencing the gnawing burning "hunger" that I did after eating (when I knew I wasn't hungry) and especially craving certain foods, and not feeling well in other ways (energy level for one, and yeast infections for anothe..there are many symptoms I had 45!) I may be able to shed some light on this. Google "candida albicans and food cravings," it was an epiphony for me. I did all the "right" things and also sought medical treatment for the burning. In my case, however, it was not acid reflux or ulcers as my doctor thought. Being prescribed Prilosec made it worse and worse. No one seemed to understand the real problem, until my dentist found traces of a fungus in my mouth, and I realized I had had yeast infections, skin probs, and even got a spot on my toe. Long story short, as soon as I read of candida albicans I KNEW this was my problem. I had been struggling with many symptoms but didn't recognize them as such. I suspect this is a very widespread thing and mis-understood by doctors. My doctor gave me Prilosec and that let the candida grow out of control and I suffered for 2 years of pain and not understanding why I had "lost it" with food. It was horrible, that is true. As soon as I read about it, I discontinued my birth control pills, and the Prilosec. You may feel bad for a few days while the candida dies off from inside your body, but 6 days into this I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON, or my old self again :-) The funniest part is the "ulcer" pains disappeared when Prilosec was stopped. All the advice to take acid blockers may be the worst thing for you if you have candida as I dad because blocking stomach acid makes a friendly place for the fungus to thrive and grow inside. My craving for cheese, bread and sweets, and coke and coffee were either this THING clamoring to be fed or else my poor body looking
for a way to balance out my system. I was eating to make my stomach feel better, but it gets worse and worse. I think the original poster MAY be experiencing the same thing as I did, but I found that during my stuggles I got all the wrong advice because people assumed it was just normal stomach and food things like they experienced. My health was starting to deteriorate as I was full of candida albicans, probably brought on by my bodies defenses being compromised by antibiotics (they kill your beneficial bacteria and allow the yeast to flourish into a fungus) and stress and maybe caffeine plus heavy exercise and a low-fat diet for too many years. It is such a relief to know why I was sick and to feel better. I found plenty of help on the internet, and amazingly none from my doctor :-( In fact her prescriptions made my problems much worse. I FEEL GREAT NOW not one craving for anything not even my usual coffee-jones. This was such a stuggle for me and it was such a godsend to finally figure it out, I was prompted to post this in case it can help some others. My doctor never understood my symptoms, just assumed it was ulcers, or reflux, and my faithful adherence to taking that med for 2 years caused damage to my health and a lot of suffering. Btw another symptom is brain fog especially after eating certain foods. And horrible fatigue. And, weight gain. I gained 50 pounds in 2 years, yet I was malnourished as your body cannot absorb the minerals you need from your food. While I did all the things people here have suggested! All good healthy advice, IF you have a healthy digestive tract and organs. But if you have candida albicans all the best efforts in the world won't help because you basically have a hungry parasite living inside you. Don't be scared but do be informed. A temporary restrictive diet and probiotics are basically the cure. Hope you like yogurt! Within 2 days all hunger and cravings were non existent, and I feel NORMAL!!!!! :-) Good luck to you, hope this may help. I believe we must respect our doctors but also be our own health advocates. I was trying so hard to understand what I was doing wrong, turns out I was very sick for a very long time. I hope I can help some others avoid what I went thru. Good health to you all!
My mum told me to eat some pour in yogurt with special K everymorning for breakfast and since i started, every food i eat i just never get full. I am soo worried maybe i am Pregnant and really am sooo freaking out....... I need help Fast before i drive myself mental.
Is there any hormonal issue that a man can have that would present with the same hunger issues? I am starving to death all the time even WHILE eating. It doesn't matter what I eat or how much I eat. I am STARVING and can't make it go away.
I've had NO SENSE of fullness for the past 2 years.  It's like an internal switch went off and I can't seem to reverse it.  I'm not hungry after I eat, just neutral.  I don't have that "belly full" feeling and I just feel like when you feel after you've digested a meal for a few hours...not hungry and not full.  I've researched so many things and tired of playing doctor.  I've mentioned this to 2 doctors and they just snub if off, but it's HIGHLY frustrating and depressing!  I don't have any other symptoms, I feel great otherwise, however, it bothers me that I can keep going and going and not feel anything.  I've had a weight problem all my life and I finally found a weight loss doctor and went on a low carb diet combined with an appetite suppresant and I'm at the smallest since I can remember when.  However, the Catch 22 is that the appetite suppresants DO NOT do anything and I know they do work because friends of mine that go to the same doctor say they do curb your appetite.  I do believe they have helped in aide with losing with, but have not with the fullness issue.  I am going to be switching primary doctors soon and see what he/she says.  I've done research as I mentioned, but this condition or whatever it is is not accompanied by anything, so when I think I figured it out...I don't.  I don't want to overload my brain, but we have to be our own health advocates and I was trying to be the middleman and avoid unnecessary testing or narrow it down when I go to the new primary.  I welcome anyone's thoughts who comes across this because I this is making me crazy!!

Thank you!
-Diana
JulesL you could have bile issues, but many factors can cause G.I. issues such as throwing up. I know this post is old, so hope you wen to see you Dr. right away, and if you have still not figured out what is wrong find Sheila Wagner online. She is a nutrition expert who focuses on G.I issues and usually cures the things mainstream Dr. can't.
As far as what I eat, I eat only healthy, lots of vegies, chicken, turkey etc... My thyroid and all organs are fine. I am diabetic for 15 yrs. This isn't normal hunger. For example while at Walmart I couldn't hold back. I lost it and tore open a bread bag and attacked it like a viscous vampire attack in some of my fav shows. I eat reg meals with the fam but pace the house all night starving but trying not to expand my waistline.
well im a 16 year old female and weigh 167 pounds, i am having that problem except after i eat im hungrier than when i even started eating.... have you heard of GERD? if i were you i would check it out. it could eventually become cancerous.
I had this problem when I was about 18, I'd always have the feeling of throwing up the meal I just ate but was still hungry so couple months suffering it, I went to doc an got put threw some tests with drinking liquids like milky an then they took a scan of the stomach they were lookin for a stomach ulcer but never found anything. The reason I think they didn't find it was b/c that test was long after I first wanted it checked out an in the meantime I took Zantac every day an it seem to help..never had the feeling again( only when I'm sick) doc says it probably caused by stress, smoking eating spicy foods and even worrying too much as weird as that sounds its very common to get an ulcer from worrying about things too much. Those are my two cents, Matt.
Rajat12809, I just read your post dated 5/12/11 and it describes me to a "T" (even to the dentist diagnosing candida).  I am wondering exactly what your diet was because I have tried the Body Ecology diet and it is very restrictive, therefore, I don't stay on it long enough for it to completely heal me (The author says it could take a year).  And, it has always taken me longer than six days to feel better.  Could you tell me what you ate while you were on the diet?  How are you feeling now?
20/20 did a special on that condition a year ago and followed several people dealing with that issue. It followed a young girl with that issue as she went through treatment.
TApeworm.
thank you for your most helpful advise, I suffer from reflux and am continually hungry, but don't bother to take the Gaviscon  advanced, advised by the Hospital, but after your advice I most certainly will take it .John