Nutrition Community
upset stomach from cereal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

upset stomach from cereal

In recent years I often get an upset stomach from having a bowl of cereal in the morning.  The upset stomach will go away in about 15 minutes and then I am fine after that.  I did not have this problem about 5 years ago (I am now 61).  I am in otherwise excellent health, run, ski, etc... and do not take any medications.  I can drink milk by itself with no reaction, so I do not think I am lactose intolerant.  The type of cereal does not seem to matter, however hot cereal like oatmeal does not cause this.  And strangely, I do not always get an upset stomach, maybe 50% of the time.  I generally have 2 cups of coffee in morning before the cereal.  I am very puzzled.  Any ideas?  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Thanks for any help.
I know exactly what you mean! I can't eat a bowel of cereal either. It's weird because I can put cream or milk in my coffee but not milk in my cereal. I thought it must be the lactose and maybe it's just that it's because there's more in a bowel of cereal? Anyway, that's what I thought that maybe it was the amount because I can seem to take milk in little bits.
Sorry if that doesn't help much but I know how you feel!
I am the same way! I am 26 and I have been like that for as long as I can remember.  I have always thought it was strange but I never found out why or what was the cause.  I guess I just figured I would just deal with toast and tea in the morning.
   I have found that many people have become intolerant to breakfast cereals, though I don't know just why. If it's a problem with carbohydrate digestion, a digestive enzyme blend with amylase should end the problem.
  It might also be caused by a deficiency of stomach acid, and the combination of milk protein and carbohydrates.
Oh well, I'm still workin' on this.