Nutrition Community
upset stomach from cereal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to nutrition, a balanced diet, calories, cholesterol, diet and disease, food preparation, vegetarian diet, and vitamins and minerals.

upset stomach from cereal

In recent years I often get an upset stomach from having a bowl of cereal in the morning.  The upset stomach will go away in about 15 minutes and then I am fine after that.  I did not have this problem about 5 years ago (I am now 61).  I am in otherwise excellent health, run, ski, etc... and do not take any medications.  I can drink milk by itself with no reaction, so I do not think I am lactose intolerant.  The type of cereal does not seem to matter, however hot cereal like oatmeal does not cause this.  And strangely, I do not always get an upset stomach, maybe 50% of the time.  I generally have 2 cups of coffee in morning before the cereal.  I am very puzzled.  Any ideas?  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  Thanks for any help.
I know exactly what you mean! I can't eat a bowel of cereal either. It's weird because I can put cream or milk in my coffee but not milk in my cereal. I thought it must be the lactose and maybe it's just that it's because there's more in a bowel of cereal? Anyway, that's what I thought that maybe it was the amount because I can seem to take milk in little bits.
Sorry if that doesn't help much but I know how you feel!
I am the same way! I am 26 and I have been like that for as long as I can remember.  I have always thought it was strange but I never found out why or what was the cause.  I guess I just figured I would just deal with toast and tea in the morning.
   I have found that many people have become intolerant to breakfast cereals, though I don't know just why. If it's a problem with carbohydrate digestion, a digestive enzyme blend with amylase should end the problem.
  It might also be caused by a deficiency of stomach acid, and the combination of milk protein and carbohydrates.
Oh well, I'm still workin' on this.
Listeria Risk Triggers Huge Frozen ...
10 hrs ago by gymdandee
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
May 03
CamLp uploaded new photos
May 02
Track your weight over time