25 Year Old with Disc Bulge & Herniation!?
Hi everyone,

I need a little advice and/or help.

I am 25 years old, male and a weightlifter/gym enthusiast.
Recently, I performed a routine Dead-Lift workout (on a Wednesday) nearly 2 weeks ago.

1.5 days later I had horrible lower back pain where I could not lean forward far and/or lean back.
I thought It was a muscle strain and continued to relax and eat properly and take it easy from the gym.

The pain subsided only a bit moving from both sides on lower back to left lower back and then to right lower back.
I had a checkup with a Doctor to see if it was anything and he said it was muscoskeletal but sent me to mri because I wanted.

After the MRI results are as follows:
- Multilevel Dehydration seen
- Desiccation noted at L2-L3, L3-L4, and L5-S1 Levels
- Prominent Schmorl's nodes at L2-L3, L3-L4, L5-S1.
- Moderate loss of disk space height at L5-S1.
- visualized osseous elements are intact with no evidence of fracture or spondylolisthesis.
- Marrow signals are in normal limits
- Normal lordotic curvature of lumbar spine well maintained.
-Conus Medullaris and cauda equina are within normal limits.

@ L5-S1 central disc herniation indents the ventral thecal sac.  Superimposed disc bulge. foramina are narrowed. canal remains patent. hypertrophic facet disease contrib.

@ L4-L5 Disc Bulge seen. Foramina are narrowed. Canal is patent. Hypertrophic facet disease contr.

@ L3-L4 diffuse disc bulge seen. Foramina narrowed. canal is patent.

@ L2-L3 disc bulge is seen. foramina are narrowed.

L1-L2 level is unremarkable.

Incidental note is made of disc bulge at t12-L1. Foramina are narrowed. canal is patent.

I hope someone can shed light on this for me as to how I managed to get this seemingly bad.

I have an appointment with my doctor to get a referal for next steps.

Thank you!
Anthony
Hey Anthony!

The MRI describes degenerative changes through the lower spine with narrowing of the spaces that carry the spinal nerves and pressure on the covering of the spine at L5/S1. The degenerative changes are unlikely to be the result of an acute injury. Since the changes are moderate an initial trial of conservative management with rest, anti-inflammatory medications and physiotherapy may be tried. If conservative management does not seem to help of the further degeneration is noted, surgical intervention may be tried.
Hope this helps.

Take care!