Orthopedics Community
2cm complex cystic lesion of the proximal tibia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My 12 year old daughter has been complaining of knee pain.  Recently was given an order for x-rays of the knee.  I am having trouble understanding what is going on as the dr. has referred us to an orthopedic but he and I have not touched based yet about what the imaging report from the xrays means.  The report reads: There is a 2cm complex apparent partially cystic lesion that projects at the dorsal aspect of the proximal tibia.  This appears to have an expansile effect upon the dorsal aspect of the proximal tibia.  No discrete periosteal raction identified at the cortex.  Sclerotic margin appears to be thin but somehwhat irregular.  Correlation with focal pain in this area is recommended.  Differential considerations would be cystic bony lesion or possible infection.  Can you help me better understand what is going on with my daughter's knee and should I be concerned that is has any possiblity of being related to cancer?  Thanks - Very worried mom 194