Orthopedics Community
Am I too young for a knee replacement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Am I too young for a knee replacement?

I am a 44yr old athletic and highly motivated woman.  At 18 I suffered a traumatic left knee injury.  I continued to do all of the things I was told I would never do like running, skiing, heavy weight lifting, mountain biking for the following 20 yrs until the pain and function required additional surgeries.  A few years ago I was at the point where I had to live a "no impact" life style.  I have adjusted well with cycling and moderate mountain biking.  I was told that I am too young for a knee replacement and that I would be a likely candidate for a second replacement because of my age and activity level.  Is this true?  I would love to run again and be able to teach low impact fitness classes and help coach my kids.  the slightest impact(liking a short jog after an overthrown ball) causes my knee to immediatley swell and it takes almost a week for it to calm down.  HELP!!!
Hi there!

Well yes, the life of a knee implant is a maximum of 10-14 years. If you go in for a knee replacement at this age you would probably require a re-replacement. The management at this stage would depend on the severity of your symptoms and the feasibility of other options available. I would suggest discussing this in detail wit your orthopedician.
Hope this helps.

Take care!