Am I too young for a knee replacement?
I am a 44yr old athletic and highly motivated woman.  At 18 I suffered a traumatic left knee injury.  I continued to do all of the things I was told I would never do like running, skiing, heavy weight lifting, mountain biking for the following 20 yrs until the pain and function required additional surgeries.  A few years ago I was at the point where I had to live a "no impact" life style.  I have adjusted well with cycling and moderate mountain biking.  I was told that I am too young for a knee replacement and that I would be a likely candidate for a second replacement because of my age and activity level.  Is this true?  I would love to run again and be able to teach low impact fitness classes and help coach my kids.  the slightest impact(liking a short jog after an overthrown ball) causes my knee to immediatley swell and it takes almost a week for it to calm down.  HELP!!!
Hi there!

Well yes, the life of a knee implant is a maximum of 10-14 years. If you go in for a knee replacement at this age you would probably require a re-replacement. The management at this stage would depend on the severity of your symptoms and the feasibility of other options available. I would suggest discussing this in detail wit your orthopedician.
Hope this helps.

Take care!