Orthopedics Community
Ankle fracture-growth plate on 6 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Help! I have a 6 year old very active child. She fractured her ankle and was put in a wee walker(boot) for 7 weeks. There was still swelling so I decided to take her to an orthopedist (live and learn-I should have done this in the first place).  He said the fracture was worse-put her in a cast for 4 weeks. Now-she is back in the boot. In only two hours of wearing it she said her ankle popped and it hurt really bad. I took her back-more x-rays and was told it was essentially the same(no new fracture).  Now, approximately 5 days of wearing the boot-it is slightly swollen. She is not running, hopping jumping on it. The office told me that it is because the ligaments are streching and she is using the muscles more. I am very concerned-we are 12 weeks out with this. Do I need to get another opinion yet again? Should this ankle still be swelling? They told me the Wee Walker is the best thing for her and will not hard cast it again.
Thanks!