Orthopedics Community
Broken Tibia by Growth plate - 6 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My six year old daughter broke her right Tibia below the knee involving the growth plate.  We are week 2 in a full leg cast.  We saw the doctor today and she said that it looks like things are healing nicely and that we can take the cast off in two weeks.  She said that we have to be concerned about knock knee.   I am concerned that they are rushing the healing of this process.  What is the normal healing process for a break like this.  It was a clean buckle break, but is in the growth plate.  What concerns should I have?
Growth plate injury is injury to the growing portion of children's bones, the physis, or physeal plate. Some growth-plate injuries do not produce growth disturbances; only those causing substantial crushing or mal-alignment of the growth plate cause such sequelae.
If growth-plate damage is detected early, adverse effects may be prevented in some cases.
What did the doctor say about the type of growth plate injury or pattern of growth plate injury? How has he classified the injury?
Splints usually are maintained for 1 to 2 weeks and then replaced by a circumferential cast once edema has mostly resolved. The cast then can be taken of within 2-3 weeks.
Most physeal fractures heal without difficulty.
Keep me posted if you have any queries.
Bye.